PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper Scope

Bromley
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi there folks was looking for some comments, questions, and/or concerns regarding upgrading my simons (hehehe) to a Vortex Viper scope for my savage odd six. Reason being a) I need new, sharper, better glass on my scope mounts and b) I wanted to put turrets it which I emailed vortex about. They say they sub contract (for lack of better words) out to another firm. (http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/viper_riflescopes)

"You do not actually send the scope to us for the turrets. It is a third party, Kenton Industries, that makes them for us. All you need to do is go on their website and fill in the information. Here is a link to the webpage:
http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/vortex (https://ch1prd0102.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=seJ1uhRvdU65rjrukuWp1S6v9m8NFdAIYrn_w u1dmpRA-L6XxSbt8kh7eIfLCxDNMdglGTLnumM.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fkentonindustries.com%2fcustom-turrets%2fvortex)

As you can see, you can just enter in your information based on the equipment you are using, or you can get more precise by spending some time at the range and entering the data particular to your results.
Once you order the custom turret, it is shipped from Kenton to Vortex USA, then to us and then on to you"

What are your thoughts on the that scope??

Personally I love Vortex's warranty program, I love my diamondback binoculars so I am kind of swayed towards this scope and have been researching it for a while.

And what are your thoughts on those turretts?

In my humble opinion I think it would be great, zero your gun at 100, and your off to the races with the turn of a turrett!

haha thanks a lot guys, looking forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Drew

The Dawg
04-24-2013, 10:50 PM
I have a viper. Love it so far. And I am going to be putting the turrets on it in the future.

Bromley
04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I have a viper. Love it so far. And I am going to be putting the turrets on it in the future.

Awesome! How do you like the BDS redicle etc?

and thank you

jaymac10
04-25-2013, 01:45 AM
I don't see the need to put on custom turrets. The stock turrets that come on scopes these days are perfectly fine for the average shooter. If you are a long range target competition shooter, then maybe having custome turrets made would be good.

I just purchased this Trijicon scope with the green reticle and I couldn't be happier!

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=2.5-10x56

after zeroing it in at the range to what ever distance you want, you can just lift up on each turret and re-zero them.

Mine adjusts a 1/4 inch @ 100 yards per click up or down, and/or left to right for windage.

i was looking at the Vortex scopes, but in the end, the Trijicon won out!

brian
04-25-2013, 06:12 AM
I would worry about all the stupid US export regulations when shipping a scope to the US to get work done on it. Check it out and make sure you can do it without much hassle.

Elkaddict
04-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I have two Vortex Vipers in use on different rifles. They are nice scopes, and sport some handy features. Good value for the money. Both my scopes have the BDC reticle and they work fine for hunting applications. IMHO if the subtensions of the reticle fit your load there is no need for custom turrets for reasonable hunting distances, and you never have to stop and set/wonder if your turrets are set correctly. The BDC will get you out to either 500 or 600 yds. depending on the ballistics of your load. Turrets and the standard reticle would be a better choice if you want to hit something substantially smaller than the kill zone or want to shoot to greater distances. Cheers.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/images/Optics/Vortex_BDC.jpg

The Dawg
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I would worry about all the stupid US export regulations when shipping a scope to the US to get work done on it. Check it out and make sure you can do it without much hassle.

Nothing goes to the states. You send them your info, they ship you the turrets

TheDuckinator
04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I just sent my Viper 3-9x40 V-Plex to Viper because I really did a number to it, they are replacing it with a 3-9x40 BDC. Amazing customer service, because I needed it for a bear hunt at the end of May they arent sending it to the repair center they are just taking a scope out of the box and mailing it to me. Great glass, great warranty, cant go wrong.

Bromley
04-25-2013, 08:27 PM
wow guys! thank you for all the input, I am going to mull over these posts and do some more thought and research tonight and I will report back with my results!

Man I love you guys/gals here on HBC!

Cheers,

drew!

Dre
04-28-2013, 09:20 PM
I just put a Viper 3-9x40 on my Rem.700 30-06. I'm very happy with it so far.....just range work, but will be hunting with it soon. In my opinion, the caliber specific turrets are not as handy as the BDC reticle. If you use it with the caps, then it takes too long to get them off and adjust. If you leave the turrets exposed, then you run the risk of bumping the setting and changing point of impact. If using either, make sure that your load really does match the turret or bdc reticle through actual range work and not what it says on the ammo box.

The Dawg
04-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I just put a Viper 3-9x40 on my Rem.700 30-06. I'm very happy with it so far.....just range work, but will be hunting with it soon. In my opinion, the caliber specific turrets are not as handy as the BDC reticle. If you use it with the caps, then it takes too long to get them off and adjust. If you leave the turrets exposed, then you run the risk of bumping the setting and changing point of impact. If using either, make sure that your load really does match the turret or bdc reticle through actual range work and not what it says on the ammo box.

Use the supplied zero stops, and you're always back to your zero point with no sighting needed.

Bromley
04-28-2013, 09:26 PM
i think im more stressed out/confused now then i was before about this whole purchase haha! CRAP

The Dawg
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
LOL....I love the scope. That's my opinion. Im going to be using it for benchrest and long distance shooting.

The scopes do come with zero stop shims. When you sight in, you can install them under the turret to hold your sight in point so to speak.

If you sight in at 100, you put the shims under there. This means if you accidently move them, you just click them right back to where it stops- the 'zero' point.

You'll be bang on to your sight in point with no screwing around.

guywitha270
04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Just sighted in my new Viper HS on the weekend. Put it on my A-Bolt 300 WSM. It's a beauty. Nice and clear and I LOVE the ultra fine reticle that the BDC has. I zeroed at 200 yards as per the manual (The re-zero feature of the turret is so easy and quick). Then I shot at the 300 yard gong, "Ting!". 400 yard gong, "Ting!" Finally the 500 yard gong. You guessed it, "Ting!"

There is also the Viper HS Long Range version that comes with an exposed elevation turret already and is intended for those long range kills. Plus it's cheaper and quicker than going for one of the ones from Kenton.

todbartell
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
I've ordered a few turrets from Kenton, they come straight to your door, 1 month wait time. The Viper scopes are great, probably the best value out there for premier optics

Dre
04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Use the supplied zero stops, and you're always back to your zero point with no sighting needed.
I was refering to actually hunting and my point was that using the BDC reticle, there is less fuss and less of a chance at ending up on the wrong setting whether you move it and forget to move it back or it is accidentally moved and you don't notice. If the gun is used primarily for long distance shooting/hunting, then a calibrated dial would offer better precission than the BDC, but in my opinion, for all purpose hunting where shots over 200yds are the exception, i go with the BDC.