PDA

View Full Version : 8-09 Moose LEH authorizations down again

JDR
04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
In case anyone else was wondering, I asked the local bio (Brian Harris) the following:

1) Why have the LEH authorizations for 8-09 been reduced in the last several years as follows:

-------------------------2010/11--------- 2011/12------- 2012/13--------- 2013/14
Oct. 1 to 31 ----------- 6 ------------------ 4 ----------------- 2 -------------------1
Nov. 1 to 31 ----------12 ----------------- 9 ----------------- 4 ------------------- 2

2) How many authorizations were given for the same time periods to the guide outfitter who had rights for this area?

Brian's response:

Moose are a popular game animal in the Okanagan, in fact, the Region supports the highest moose hunter density (moose hunters per unit area) in the Province, so we closely watch the hunter harvest. Under the current Region 8 Moose harvesting plan, the target harvest is 6% of the moose population estimate, divided equally between immature bulls (general open season for spike/fork bulls) and adult bulls (LEH for any bull). We adjust the LEH numbers each year achieve the target harvest of 3% of the moose population estimate. One of the performance measures of the hunting regulations is to have at least 30 bulls per 100 cows remaining after the hunting season.
In the past winter, we received funding for a detailed moose population survey in 4 management units, including 8-09. The new population estimate for MU8-09 is 237. However, during that survey we found very low bull ratios in 8-09 (8 bulls per 100 cows). In response, I reduced the LEH numbers for the coming year and may shorten the general open season for 2014 as well. We found low bull ratios in other management units (none as low as MU 8-09) and I suspect that the logging and burgeoning road access to harvest mountain pine beetle invested timber is increasing the moose vulnerability. So, we will be working on a new Regional moose harvest management plan to try to address these challenges while maintaining hunter opportunity.

In this Region, for 2007-2011, the allocation split for moose was 85% of the harvest to resident hunters, 15% to the guide outfitter. For 2007-2011, the guide outfitter was allocated 1.3 per year for a total 7 moose over the period. With the new moose inventory, the guide outfitter moose allocation is 11 over the next 5 years. This may also be adjusted depending on the outcomes of future moose surveys.

I hope that I have answered your questions.
Cheers!
Brian Harris
Wildlife Biologist
Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations
102 Industrial Place
Penticton, B.C. V2A 7C8
250-490-8254 Fax 250-490-2231
brian.s.harris@gov.bc.ca

Stone Sheep Steve
04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
We'll most likely see less LEH's in most MU's across the region with a few exceptions where ratios remain high.

SSS

blackbart
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Looks like the Bio gave a pretty detailed answer. Good on him for taking the time to provide such detail.

How long did it take to get a response from him?

boxhitch
04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Shouldn't have been long.
That is the same info passed out at the last FHAC meeting.
Look for a possible change of the GOS if things don't balance soon.
Your club rep should have that info.

BearSupreme
04-23-2013, 09:44 PM
From what ive seen, most LEH's are down, at least from last year. The one I noticed on the rise, is Grizzlies! They even opened up 3 more subregions in region 4. Ive never hunted a grizz, but im looking forward to it!

04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
So the LEH authorizations are rapidly dropping due to the realization of a lower moose population, but the guide outfitter's quota was increased from 1.3 per year to 2.2 per year....

How does that make sense?

GoatGuy
04-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Pine beetle logging, fire + highest hunter density in the province + the highest road density in the province = problems.

Need to get rid of some access or kiss the GOS goodbye.

It ain`t rocket science.

boxhitch
04-24-2013, 06:08 AM
So the LEH authorizations are rapidly dropping due to the realization of a lower moose population, ......In the region 8 case , the changes are about maintaining a bull-to-cow ratio. The population is actually pretty healthy.

.300WSMImpact!
04-24-2013, 07:25 AM
found two harvested bulls in the last 4 weeks in this area, I can see why they have lowered the numbers, there is way too many roads in that area

Elk-Aholic
04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Saw the writing on the wall a few years ago with this one, no shocker there.....hopefully they shut down access or deactivate more than a few roads for conservation's sake! And deactivate road's to the point no 4-wheeled vehicle can access it. "It ain't rocket science" is right!

JDR
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
How long did it take to get a response from him?

Next day.

So the LEH authorizations are rapidly dropping due to the realization of a lower moose population, but the guide outfitter's quota was increased from 1.3 per year to 2.2 per year....

How does that make sense?

Yeah that was my thought exactly, so I asked him:

Am I to understand that the guide outfitter is now being allocated 2.2 (11/5) moose per year at a time when LEH authorizations have been dramatically reduced for resident hunters? What is the rationale for increasing his allocation?

Brian's response:
Resident hunters took an average of 10 moose per year for the past 3 years out of that MU (inclusive of spike/forks and LEH bulls). To put your mind at ease, guide outfitters take about 5% of the moose in this Region, resident hunters 95%.

Cheers!

Brian Harris
Wildlife Biologist
Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resource Operations
102 Industrial Place
Penticton, B.C. V2A 7C8
250-490-8254 Fax 250-490-2231
brian.s.harris@gov.bc.ca