PDA

View Full Version : Trail camera recommendation?

Black Bird
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi folks,

I am considering purchasing a trail camera and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on one that they like. While I recognize that you often get what you pay for, I would be curious to hear if there are any recommendations that work well enough at a reasonable price.

I would be setting it up for a month or two at a time in all weather conditions.

Cheers,
BB

ianwuzhere
04-23-2013, 01:40 PM
i recommend the bushnell trophy cams and here are my reasons:
AA batteries and longest life ive tried,
small, decent strap,
easy to use,
can set multiple burst photos- so 3 back to back whenever its triggered.
they are about $200+
i had one of these stolen as well which made me grind my teeth, but they are my fav- so also look into locking it up.
cheerz

TheProvider
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
You do get what you pay for but at the same time there is no perfect camera out there on the market.
Do you want high resolution pictures or just good enough to see whats out there?
Would you mainly be using it on trails or in more open areas? ie fields, cut blocks..
Will you be using an attractant or bait?
Do you want video options?

If your using it on trails then you will want a fairly fast camera and one that you can adjust how many pictures it takes per triggering. Using a bait or attractant will help keep the animal infront of the camera for longer so you wont need a camera as fast. Cameras with wide angles are nice in areas that are more open but in areas in real thick bush arent needed. Cameras are constantly advertising longer and longer flash range. Keep in mind your best photos are going to under 25'. Trail cameras arent made for long range scouting. You will want to choose between white flash, infrared or black flash. Alot of cameras comed with added features thatany people dont use or need. Battery life is a big one if leaving it out for months on end.

Rodd
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I love my Cuddeback! Only camera I used that still takes pictures below -20.. I use the Flash camera, as i like the color night shots. It has incredible trigger speed. I believe mine is a "capture" EASY to learn how to setup and use... IMO

.300WSMImpact!
04-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Uway they have great security boxes the battery life is unreal I change them once a year, and as a bonus the photos are great, I have 6 Uway cams and plan to get more

Cyrus
04-23-2013, 04:51 PM
bushnells,primos, moultires all are good...do yourself a favor and check out ebay!

bc_buckshot
04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Can't speak for most brands but what I can say is stay away from primos. I had one and its crap. They make alright calls but trail cam are garbage. I did buy my first moultrie cam. The moultrie trai cam C50 outfitter and I'm in the process of buying the same one, or the same new one with a view finder. Haven't had any problems yet and gotten some good pictures already. Send me a pm with your email and can email you the pics and video to show you the quality. Besides that its basically you get what you pay. I hear bushnell, uway, reconix and cuddy back are also good cam. There is an actually site if you look that gives you good reviews and pros and cons of all cams

Sitkaspruce
04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I picked up 3 Spypoints, a couple off Cabelas on sale (IR-7) and one of Camofire (IR-6). Watch that site for good deals on cameras, they usually come up once a week or so.

I like the Spypoints, easy to use and set up, battery life is great, takes good picts and best of all, made in Canada. Chasingame.com is a great site to see what works and what does not. There is a few others as well to check out for game camera reviews.

Also do a search on here as there is lots of discussions about cameras.

Cheers

SS

Gunner
04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
I've had good success with the Bushnell Trophy,it picks up animals as small as my cat,as well as the usual,deer,bears,coyotes etc.Functions well in cold weather and very good battery life. Gunner

sarnold
My vote is spypoint......Canadian made says it all

1980skywalker
I too like the bushnells, have had a bunch and all cams seem to have problems, bushnells seem to just have the fewest. Primos is garbage, sent one back 3 times and each time received a brand new one, none of them worked!

Whipper Billy
04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Chasingame.com is a great site to see what works and what does not.SS

x2 Great site of reviews and tips.

04-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I went with two tasco cams. Only 90$ each. Cheaper than buying one good cam and I can cover twice the trails. Takes good photos day and night.

todbartell
04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I have always had good luck with Bushnell Trophy Cams, but I think I'll switch the the U-Way cams now. I've also used Stealth Cams, Moultrie, Tasco, Leupold and Wildgame - all do the job

BearSupreme
04-23-2013, 09:40 PM
i recommend the bushnell trophy cams and here are my reasons:
AA batteries and longest life ive tried,
small, decent strap,
easy to use,
can set multiple burst photos- so 3 back to back whenever its triggered.
they are about $200+
i had one of these stolen as well which made me grind my teeth, but they are my fav- so also look into locking it up.
cheerz

Where abouts was your camera when it got stolen? ie on a main road. Was it camoflauged? Ive got mine out on a pretty main road, and I worry all the time about having it stolen, especially when the IR lights go on. I cant wait to get a No Glow model!

bc_archer
04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Hands down Reconyx is the best I have used personally and for enforcement (keeping an eye on poaching sites), they are in the $300 + range but outperform most other brands. 6 volt Moultries suck, stay away from game cameras using 6 volt batteries with the spring tops the batteries don't last as long as ones powered by AA. Bushnells are a good compromise for price and quality. There are so many good brands/models on the market now, so your best bet is to start with an online comparison...google game camera comparison and you will find enough good information to help you make an informed decision on which ones to purchase for your needs.