PDA

View Full Version : Boundary country wolves?

Gunner
04-22-2013, 10:58 AM
A couple of friends were hunting turkeys last weekend in the Grand Forks/Christina Lake area.They were both successful and there was lots of game around,they saw a good number of mulies,about 400 whitetails,a dozen elk and a couple of bears.What they didn't like was the amount of wolf sign they saw,it was everywhere.Every single road they drove from Sutherland Cr. to the North Fork had wolf tracks in abundance.The locals told them the C/Os had shot 1/2 a dozen at the dump site for road killed deer.Anyone else aware of this trend?I used to hunt that area a lot,and can't recall ever seeing wolf sign. Cheers,Gunner

The Dawg
04-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Check out www.wolftracker.ca

We have entered a few around there.

WKCotts
04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Where is this dump site??

palmer
04-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I know of 4 being killed, none by the CO and I spoke with him 2 days ago. Two were shot on the gilpin range and one hit by a car and one shot up the lower North fork.Thats in the last four Months. I did hear of a couple being killed last Oct and Nov, but not enough to really effect the numbers. As for tracks they are everywhere. I think the wolves have been fairly common for the last 6 or 7 years...

shelg
04-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the same in the CLearwater area.

WKCotts
04-22-2013, 09:34 PM
I know of 4 being killed, none by the CO and I spoke with him 2 days ago. Two were shot on the gilpin range and one hit by a car and one shot up the lower North fork.Thats in the last four Months. I did hear of a couple being killed last Oct and Nov, but not enough to really effect the numbers. As for tracks they are everywhere. I think the wolves have been fairly common for the last 6 or 7 years...

How have the mulies done over there in the lasts 6-7 years?

palmer
04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
To be honest I am shocked by the numbers Gunner stated. I have not seen numbers like that in years, maybe seeing the same whitetails over and over but numbers are down. Mulies are about the same as the last 4 years, and i hear fly over counts show that. There are still some nice mulies but in pockets not like 10 years ago. The Elk and Moose seem to be doing well, I guess the wolves like deer better....tons of bears...

WKCotts
04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Yea I figured what little moose are over your way would be getting pounded. Would like to get over your way more even if it's to blast a wolf or two

palmer
04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
No moose are really doing well...If you get a draw its almost a sure thing....as for blasting a wolf...tracks are easy to find....the wolf on the other hand is a different story...

Stone Sheep Steve
04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
The animals get seriously concentrated during spring green up.

Wolves are doing well while the mulies are not. Sounds similar to the hwy 6 area. Both have good buck to doe ratios but #'s are down overall. Do the dots connect??

SSS