PDA

View Full Version : What About The New MOLLE II Packs?

mountainman_270
04-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I think I can say that the equally important pieces of equipment we acquire are our rifles, packs, boots and knives. As to our packs I am wondering If anyone has tried the newest MOLLE II pack with the 4rth Gen frame (Rated to 200 LBS- I'm NOT going to test that). My friend and I have bought them and so far so good. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better out there (Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Kifaru, etc) but for the price I can get about 3 packs to one. I am happy with the fit for me and I love the modular aspect of the system. I bought the Multicam pack new for $130 (ebay). With the pouches and day pack give the pack just over 100 liters of space. I have had 70+ pounds in it and hiked with that load a few times with no discomfort. Does anyone else have any experience and opinions on this system. If money were no object I would have gone with the G4 operator from Eberlestock or the Tactiplane from MR, but money is an object so here I am. Thanks for any input. Good hunting this spring to all.

cyalatte
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Three of us have bought the MOLLE II packs for our first alpine trip this Sept so I can't give you a review just yet. The cam system is nice and although the pack's initial weight (9lbs) is on the heavy side, it fits like a glove and has tremendous waist support to disperse the weight. I'm thinking it's going to work well for us, at a fraction of the cost.

mountainman_270
04-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Let me know what you think and how you organized the pouches. I have been playing with mine and the versatility is really a great feature.

anglo-saxon
04-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Just a word to the wise...There are so many "look-a-likes" out there. So if you're going to get one, get a name brand one. Otherwise the stitching, webbing, and general construction can be very bad. First time you put any decent weight in it will fail on you.

5.11 Tactical have some decent packs as do Blackhawk. These are all the real deal as troops' lives depend on them.

mountainman_270
05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
There are to many copies from the Asian manufacturing sector for sure, you are so right about that anglo-saxon. I am sick of the knock offs. If it says "GI type", or "genuine style" these should be avoided like the plague. MEC has some good packs as well. My dream pack is the Norrona Recon. Hard to get in North America, and cost is bloody high. I am thinking of putting a NICE frame (Mystery Ranch) on my MOLLE II. They make an adapter kit to mate the two systems together.