PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles

Yak
04-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Looking for opinions on hiking poles?
I never used to use them but recently started and love em!
I hiked the north coast trail over easter (highly reccomend it!!) and broke the tips off of both of them...

Need a new pair before deer season comes around!

Thanks

Yak

04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
l use Leki's (Titanium??) and have been happy with them. Broke the spring twice over the years, the first time they gave me a complimentary set to keep ($175.00 value :)) while they were being fixed and the second time the new section was sent free of charge. Used at least 300 days a year going on 7 years now......

k25/06
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Leki's Carbon titanium.Dont buy the anti-shock. Had the anti-shock on a sheep hunt didn't make it through 2days.

lorneparker1
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
I use black diamond z poles. Super light and sturdy

Paulyman
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Black Diamonds for me and I love em.

BCbillies
04-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Carbon. Light and durable . . . I don't leave home without them.

Jim Prawn
04-21-2013, 10:55 PM
I have Lekis but have had the springs seize once in about 5 sheep/goat hunts. Replaced free no questions asked. That said they do have a newer one with a better locking system so they dont slide while youre hiking needing constant readjustment. Another $50 or so but I would do it next time.
JP

Everett
04-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Old pair of ski poles will do the same thing all the fancy breakable ones will do. Best part is old ski poles are free.

canishunter22-250
04-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Old pair of ski poles will do the same thing all the fancy breakable ones will do. Best part is old ski poles are free.

That's all I use. I like the one piece construction of ski poles cause they're pretty tough to break

Amphibious
04-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Carbon. Light and durable . . . I don't leave home without them.

+1 love them. managed to bend the lowest section on one pole. but that took a good tumble with a 100lb pack.

ianwuzhere
04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
do you guys actually find these useful at all on flat or inclines?

i was thinking about them but i like to have my gun slung over my shoulder and hands free while im hiking so i can list some disadvantages, but what are the advantages other then loaded heavy going downhill?

2chodi
04-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I have no personal experience in using poles myself, but I know some experienced hikers and hunters who swear by them. One experience I did have with a "pole user" was on a sheep hunt. One foggy day I decided to stay in camp while the fellow with the poles decided to go for a quick scout anyway. I could hear his poles clanking in the rocks a good 10 minutes before he hit camp on his return, and that was on a day that sound was somewhat muted by the foggy conditions. Just something to consider.

blackwater moose
04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
find some nice arbutus ,dry them, you may need clamps to keep the poles straight,after they are dry ,there is nothing better

04-22-2013, 12:34 PM

I use Leki's. Ski poles are ok, but can't be collapsed like hiking poles. Don't be a cheap *******, get some good hiking poles.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Good timing for this thread. My old Komperdells are pretty much toast.

SSS

04-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I have no personal experience in using poles myself, but I know some experienced hikers and hunters who swear by them. One experience I did have with a "pole user" was on a sheep hunt. One foggy day I decided to stay in camp while the fellow with the poles decided to go for a quick scout anyway. I could hear his poles clanking in the rocks a good 10 minutes before he hit camp on his return, and that was on a day that sound was somewhat muted by the foggy conditions. Just something to consider.

I always use hiking poles sheep hunting. They have never alerted the sheep to my presence. In my experience, clanking, banging, rocks falling, and even wolves howling don't seem to cause sheep much concern.

E.V.B.H.
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM

i was thinking about them but i like to have my gun slung over my shoulder and hands free while im hiking so i can list some disadvantages, but what are the advantages other then loaded heavy going downhill?

Uphill is when they are the best. You get to use your arms and core muscles instead of just your legs. Saves lots of energy.

05-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Pick up a harness/gun sling from Grouse Outfitters a few years ago and it has proven to be a hand in glove fit with walking poles. Keeps my rifle centered on my back, can bend or do what ever with out having my gun slid off my shoulder while leaving my hands free. Has a quick release that is as fast as any rifle that is shoulder slung. On sheep hunts or back pack trips, rifle is usually attached to the pack itself. Once you get used to using poles, its hard to go with out them..... four points of contact on the ground have saved my ass more then once from slipping on snow/ice/mud and when your packing a heavy pack, they help with balance a lot. Also used them as a make shift shooting stick once and they worked great.

One foggy day I decided to stay in camp while the fellow with the poles decided to go for a quick scout anyway. I could hear his poles clanking in the rocks a good 10 minutes before he hit camp on his return, and that was on a day that sound was somewhat muted by the foggy conditions. Just something to consider.

My Leki's have rubber caps for the points, compression fit and no noise..........its certainly worth considering as the steel tips on rocks or asphalt do make a racket.

BromBones
05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Most come with rubber caps for the tips, need them for dry rock. Good rubber caps are compression fit with steel inserts to kep the carbide pole tip from pushing through the rubber. Black Diamond makes nice stuff.

I dont go without hiking poles. Saev the knees going down hill, 100% more stability with heavy loads, and you work your legs less when climbing.

Paulyman
05-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Some people say just use ski poles or sticks of wood, I strongly suggest yo use adjustable poles for hiking. I do a lot of hiking and first hand know the benefit of having adjustable poles. Going uphill you want the poles short because your upper body and arms are closer to the ground and going downhill your upper body and arms are further away and you will need to adjust the poles to be longer, trust me it makes a difference.

skibum
05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
They are cool as long as you don't EVER, EVER, EVER walk on the pavement with them.

(Clarification for rant - fat chick on my street that uses walking poles and just drags them behind herself)

hare_assassin
05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
I can't bring myself to use them, because 9/10ths of the people I see using them are Lululemon-wearing douchebags walking on groomed trails. WTF is the point of them?

For serious hiking with heavy loads I can see the point, but my hand-made staff has never let me down...

Also, I am a cheap SOB. Can't even imagine paying that sort of dough for poles. :O

albravo2
05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
After many years of regular use I just replaced my old MEC Crolli poles with some Komperdell Anti-shocks. Only $70 for the pair at MEC. I understand that a lot of people don't like the shock absorber aspect but I'm used to them and really like them, especially on downhill stretches.

Slippery terrain? Heavy load? Nobody quits using poles after they get used to them.

I have a hole drilled through mine so I can attach them together to make a bipod and I also carry a small cradle that screws into a hole I drilled in the top of one pole so I can use it as a monopod.

Mtn Man
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Trekking poles transfer 30% of weight off your back and legs into your arms,great for going up or down especially with a heavy pack, its like having an extra pair of legs. Had a pair of old ski poles... worked ok. but as in other postings non-collapsable and a bit heavier. Next had a pair of lekki makalus, broke them on 2nd descent down the mountain, other buddies have use the black daimond contour ones for years with no issues, they will be my next purchase.

BCbillies
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Also for side hilling they offer a lot of stability and reduced strain on the body. On a sheep hunt there was two of us, both of similar body type and conditioning, one used poles the whole time and one did not . . . the difference was obvious throughout the trip. On the next hunt both brought poles! I use poles for even small hikes with the family and for pre-season training. With past injuries and such if they save me one slip and fall they are worth bringing.

ufishifish2
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
After using poles for the past three years of sheep and goat hunting I wouldn't go back. It saves so much energy and provides added stability. I also like the ability to lengthen one pole and shorten the other when walking for extended periods on steep side slopes. For this reason I would never use ski poles or wooden sticks. Also going uphill creates a completely different pole length demand than heading downhill.
Every year I have headed to Wholesale Sports and bought a brand new pair of cheaper trekking poles (Approx. $130/pr). By the end of the season I have always been down to one pole. This year my wife bought me a skookum pair of Komperdell Carbon UltraLights. They seem really durable and the locing mechanism is far superior to any I have seen in the past. The fold more like a tent pole instead of the inferior collapsible poles I have used in the past. Can't wait to beat them up and see how they stand up to the abuse.

Recordram
05-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Black Diamond. Collapsible. Never had a problem. Wouldn't go out without them.