PDA

View Full Version : Alright, who shoots a single pin type sight for bowhunting.

knockturnal
04-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Im currently using a Crazy 8 sight and am thinking about changing to a Single pin slider type sight. The crazy 8 is ok but im not a huge fan of the oval pin housing. Im a fan of the vertical pins as it cuts down on the clutter but other than the crazy 8, im SOL in that department. And if you are wondering why 8 pins, i like to practice at longer ranges. Im thinking about getting the Hogg father with either a single pin or a 4 pin setup as that would allow me to get my 20-50 yard without adjusting the housing. Anything past the 50 mark, i could adjust the sight. Just trying to get some others opinions on it. Chime in if youd like!

ThinAir
04-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I like the idea of a 4 pin set-up for the first 50yards, then an adjustable after that...
Sometimes the closer shots can be quick, or at a target that changes faster than a guy can compensate with the adjuster.

Typically any shots at the longer ranged you'll have the time to dail in and adjust.
I have the sport Hogg 7 deadly pins and although its a great sight, it gets a little crowed looking through the peep:)

Let us know what you end up getting...

The Hermit
04-21-2013, 09:40 AM
The G5 XR at $164.50 and the XR2 at $191.50 are pretty nice! http://www.g5outdoors.com/category/28 Happy to bring them in for you...

knockturnal
04-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I've got nothing against G5 but I don't think their sights will let me shoot past 100 yards. I get bored shooting at the typical 20-50 so I like to stretch things out a bit.

Stéphane
04-21-2013, 11:40 AM
This is of interest to me because during the last 3D shoot, I was shooting with someone with a way faster bow than mine. He missed a shot by a about 4 inches below mine, and he told me he used his 30 yard pin while I used my 40. I thought if I had a bow like this, I would use only a 30yard pin to go hunting and be in the kill zone from 20 to 40 yards. No need for range finders.

Anyway, I'll follow this thread closely

backcountrybowhunter
04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I just got the single pin hogg father. I really like it as far as target shooting and 3d. But already have missed a few opportunitys on turkeys that have been moving and not giving me time to change the yardage. But I think it is a great sight and will use it for spring bear and fall. I think he pros of the sight out weigh the cons But only time will tell

NaStY
04-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I prefer single pin setup. Leave it at 30yd and good to go for 20 to 40. Although i have yet to pull the trigger on an animal it just makes alot less clutter.

montec assassin
04-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I use a tru-glo range rover single pin. I like that I can set the yardage and not have to pin gap or place it high or low accordingly. Put the pin on the vitals and release. I too questioned its use for hunting but have found so far i've had time to make adjustments, and if not, like has been said, leave it at a common range and let the speed of the bow pick up the difference in yardage. If I were to buy another single pin, I would look very closely at the HHA because of the dial and the pre marked tape. My sight comes with a blank strip for you to mark your own yardage but can get messy if you aren't organized. I have found it useful though, to be able to mark my 3D setup in a different color than my hunting setup.

Stealth
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I've used an HHA single pin sight for the last ten years. I went to a single pin do to my failing eyesight and the multiple pins began to blur together. If I have time I will move the pin to the yardage but if not I have shot so much that I know where my arrow will hit at different yardages. When I,m walking I have it set for 30 yards and if I have a shot opportunity and no time to change I just either hold a little low or high to compensate. It does not take long on the practice range to figure out if I shoot at 20 yards with the pin at 30 where the arrow hits and the same with shooting 50 yards with pin set at 30. I have had good success using a single pin adjustable sight.

knockturnal
04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
anyone ever thought about putting a couple of dots on your verticle pin with high vis nail polish or something along those lines to use as reference marks? keep the sight at 20 and hold on first mark for 30, second mark for 40 type thing?

Ruger4
04-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Matt I had the Boss Hogg and really liked it, quick to adjust and bullet proof............

.330 Dakota
04-22-2013, 07:09 AM
I have a Hoyt Cybertech, that is running fairly fast fps, and I shoot a 20 and a 50 yd pin. Lots of practice and 75 with a holdover is easy for hunting.

RoscoeP
04-22-2013, 07:34 AM
I shoot a Hoyt 60 lb bow and friends are always telling me to get a lighter bow because my arrows are always the hardest to pull out. They are surprized when I tell them it is 60lb, my arrows have 100 gr tips and are only 350gr total and they are shooting there 400+ gr hunting arrows. So how much do your arrows weigh?
If you are shooting your hunting arrows maybe you should get a set of dedicated 3-D arrows, they fly much flatter. I am just using some PSE Radial X-Weave Hunter 200's Cheers Roscoe

ps this was supposed to be a reply with quote to post #5 from Stephane

knockturnal
04-22-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a Hoyt Cybertech, that is running fairly fast fps, and I shoot a 20 and a 50 yd pin. Lots of practice and 75 with a holdover is easy for hunting.

i have nothing against guys that hold over, its just not my thing. I like to pick a tuft of fur or an arrow hole on my target and aim specifically at that point. My bow would be a lot faster than the 285fps its shooting now if I didnt have such heavy arrows (480gr). But, i like my heavy arrows as they tend to have more punch downrange.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
I have an HHA 5519 sight on my Answer ... love it ..

knockturnal
04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Alright. Pulled the pin on a Hogg Father off Archery Talk. Never shot single pin before but I guess I will be giving it a try.

Superdeuce
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I have an HHA 5519 sight on my Answer ... love it ..
+1 - only thing I dislike is how easily the screwheads rust, but easily replaceable.

Ruger4
04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Alright. Pulled the pin on a Hogg Father off Archery Talk. Never shot single pin before but I guess I will be giving it a try.

nice thing about the father over the others is the adjustable sight arm............I found your 'own' sight tape that rolls right over top the yardage knob will work better for you over their numbers on the dial...........nice , you'll have it for the spring bear vid !! :mrgreen:

knockturnal
04-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I went out yesterday to my bear hole and alls I found was a moose shed. Still way to much snow. No tracks or poops. 2-3 weeks still.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-23-2013, 09:46 AM
+1 - only thing I dislike is how easily the screwheads rust, but easily replaceable.

any sight will do that

Superdeuce
04-23-2013, 10:45 AM
any sight will do that not true... Vipers for example have stainless screws. Either way, the HHA screws seem to rust far easier than any else I have used for whatever reason. One other consideration is if you bow mount your quiver, the single pins can provide challenges.

backcountrybowhunter
04-23-2013, 12:29 PM
One thing I've found to work amazingly well for the sight tapes on my hogg father is to splie a bohning fletchings crest in half and stick it around the dial. Works awesome waterproof and has adhesive side on it already along with a fine tip sharpie and your goo to go to create your own tape.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-23-2013, 12:39 PM
a strip of label works great .. set the sights with a fine pencil ... seal it with Clear nail polish

Ruger4
04-23-2013, 01:44 PM
One other consideration is if you bow mount your quiver, the single pins can provide challenges.
Game Plan spot n stalk quiver is the only way to go