PDA

View Full Version : kimberley/cranbrook black bears

khamilton
04-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Has anyone been out looking for bears around Kimberley or cranbrook? I'm not sure if its a little early yet but I've been out looking up St Mary's Lk road to about 40 kms and saw some tracks in a sandbar on the river. Glassed all the cutblocks I could as well and did lots of walking, saw no other signs. Also went up wildhorse to poke around. I'm new to the area and don't really know where to go out but thought I'd see how others are doing. One thing I have seen though is a lot of wolf tracks along with deer and elk.

Rhyno
04-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Sorry I can't help I just moved the the area. I am going to be looking for some blackies soon though. Good luck

khamilton
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM
same to you, let me know if you need someone to hunt bears with.

Everett
04-20-2013, 11:56 AM
First week in May is when I start looking you will see the odd one this week but not enogh grass around yet.

Rhyno
04-20-2013, 05:30 PM
same to you, let me know if you need someone to hunt bears with.

Will do, don't think I will have too much time this year with work....hoping to in mid may though.

Husky7mm
04-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Not really a heavy bear area, I start to turn them up when the elk are calving. It's still winter in the side valleys .

Husky7mm
04-20-2013, 06:55 PM
If I wanted to shoot a bear and had some free time I would be heading north a few hrs or to the west koots.

Poguebilt
04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Still a bit early....

Ryan Olson
04-20-2013, 07:27 PM
There are tons of bears around the kimberley area. Just a bit early I think. Had one bolt out about 30 feet ahead of me in downtown Marysville a few years back:icon_frow.

khamilton
04-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys, judging by the amount of greens out right now it seemed early yet. Nice to get out and check new places out anyways.

Above the Treeline
04-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Hey khamilton,

I just started hunting spring black bear in this area two years ago. I get out around 10-15 day trips each spring and have had little issues finding bears. I have seen well over 25 bears in the last two spring seasons and have taken a bear each spring since I started out. I have always been out to early to start the year out but better early than late! If you need some ideas of places to try or general information about the bears in this area let me know. I am just starting out with the whole spring bear thing myself but I will do my best to help you out.

Good luck! hope you get a beauty!

Rhyno
05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Was out 10 am to dark yesterday, put on lots of Km on the truck and did a bunch of glassing. To show for my efforts.....8 piles of poo and no sightings. A little different than what I was use to in Terrace. Gonna try a new area tomorrow, hope to find one.....Good luck to you!

sawmill
05-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Head up Perry creek road,turn left just before the bridge,follow it in a few K till the road splits,stay left.There is a big valley back in there.The road goes for miles back,just don`t try crossing the mudhole way back in there,it`s about 10 feet deep.I have seen some tanks back there,I don`t hunt bears anymore so you can have them.Good luck!

bigneily
05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Cranbrook has lots of cat hunters therefore lots of bear hunters, If you want bear try real rugged out of the way areas and rough country. Guys with dogs prefer the spots where vehicle access is easier. Much nicer to track dogs by truck or quad, than climbing up the steep side of a cows face just to lead them back down.