PDA

View Full Version : Which Lansky?

dime
12-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I see many members recommend the Lansky Sharpeners, but when I have been looking at the site, there are several varieties:
Standard
Deluxe
Universal
Professional
Standard Diamond
Deluxe Diamond
Ranging in price from $40USD to $100USD
What do you guys use?

Ian F.
12-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Go to the library, and get a copy of Sharpening by Leonard Lee, read it, then make your purchase.

Very best,

Ian

elkguide
12-29-2006, 05:25 PM
go with the diamond Lanksy ( I Process on average 25 game animals a year and I've used mine for 4 years now.) It is one of the best methods to properly sharpen your Knife.

.308win
12-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I use the Lansky standard kit, works awesome, Although I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

N-W-Redneck
12-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I have had the lansky standard set (coarse, med, fine hones) for about 2 yrs and it is a decent set. I am going to upgrade to the diamond deluxe hones this year as I sharpen not only my knives but my father-in-law's as well. He's a trapper and we work together skinning anything from martin to otters to bears so we have several knives between us of varrying quality. The extra-fine diamond hone should be just the ticket for quick touch ups on the better blades.

dirtyharry
12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I have had the lansky standard set (has the clamp and rods and 3 stones)for about 15 years and it works great. I upgraded to the diamond stones last year and they do work faster with hard metal. Well worth the money.

Steeleco
12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Go for the best you can afford, the diamond set won't get your knife any sharper, but I believe it is easier and faster than the stones?

I use the 5 stone set, has worked good for me but I only need sharpen my knives a few times a year. The big outdoor store on W4th is where I got mine, I don't recall the name!

dime
12-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey NW Redneck, I looked on the Lansky site and the diamond deluxe comes with extra-coarse, coarse, medium and fine. Apparently there is no ultra fine diamond hone, although there is an ultra fine non-diamond stone. The only difference between the standard diamond system and the deluxe diamond system is the extra-coarse hone, which seems unnecessary.

I am thinking I might get the standard diamond system and just buy an ultra fine hone seperately. I see on E-bay I can get both delivered to my Dad's place in Birch Bay for about $75 CDN.

Benthos
12-29-2006, 06:48 PM
i have the diamond deluxe model. works great. spend the extra $20

.308win
12-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey NW Redneck, I looked on the Lansky site and the diamond deluxe comes with extra-coarse, coarse, medium and fine. Apparently there is no ultra fine diamond hone, although there is an ultra fine non-diamond stone. The only difference between the standard diamond system and the deluxe diamond system is the extra-coarse hone, which seems unnecessary.

I am thinking I might get the standard diamond system and just buy an ultra fine hone seperately. I see on E-bay I can get both delivered to my Dad's place in Birch Bay for about $75 CDN.

I bought my Lansky standard set at Canadian tire for $44, I don't think they had extra stones, but your local hunting store should for about $12-$15. It's only $10 or $12 less(after tax) than ebay, but its new.

Benthos
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
i think i bought my brand new deluxe diamond kit from russells for $90 or something

1/2 slam
12-29-2006, 07:44 PM
None of the above. Buy the Gatco....a better kit. I've been using the same one for 12 years. A great kit with wider stones.

eastkoot
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Diamond for sure.. I've got a custom knife thats hard and diamond is the way to go. The standard Lansky hardly scratches it..

tuchodi
12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I have the Lansky Diamond with 3 stones, works great. Had it for about 10 years

N-W-Redneck
12-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Oops, my bad. :redface: Just looked at my brochure again. I was thinking of the saphire stone to add to the diamond set. Although the x-course might not see alot of use, I want it for restoring knives that have either been thrashed on, or sharpened with the wrong angle. I've already had a couple of buddies ask me to 'resurect' their old blades and the regular coarse stone takes quite a while to get back to square one.

boxhitch
01-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm with NWR. I use the Xtra coarse on most new-to-Lansky projects. Some have alot of material to be removed. Wish I'd bought the diamond set at the beginning, but will not toss the regular, just to make room.
It takes a keen eye and a good light to see when the correct edge is achieved. Look for one plane of 'shine', right to the edge, or else the job is not right. I've seen several guys not use these systems correctly, by not taking the process far enough.