PDA

View Full Version : Hey Jelvis how do you hunt bears

rides bike to work
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey Jelvis you seem to be a wealth of knwledge so i figured i would pick your brain a little.

When do bears wake up from hibernation

whats there behavior like right out of hibernation

When do they breed

what elevation do they hibernate at

Whats the best week to hunt spring bear

wwhy do bears crap on the road so much

fill us in Jel man

long time jelvis fan

kako99
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Where do you get all your knowledge from Jelvis?

olympia
04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
i sent him a pm the other day and he snubbed me...im kinda hurt

bccanadian
04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Well first you dig a big pit. Then you fill the bottom with ashes then you put some peas around the top.
when the bear comes along to take a pea you run up behind and kick him in the ash hole..:)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

gcreek
04-18-2013, 05:14 PM
This should be informative..............

Blainer
04-18-2013, 05:20 PM
He's full of something. knowledge????

adamgarbett
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Does he even hunt???

landphil
04-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey Jelvis you seem to be a wealth of knwledge so i figured i would pick your brain a little........................... Knwledge eh?

When do bears wake up from hibernation ...................................When they stop sleeping.

whats there behavior like right out of hibernation .......................Rather bear-like.

When do they breed.................................. After long romantic walks on the beach in the moonlight.

what elevation do they hibernate at .........................It varies, some get more high than others, man.

Whats the best week to hunt spring bear ..................The week you are scheduled to work, and really didn't want to be there.

wwhy do bears crap on the road so much ..................Bears crap anywhere and everywhere, get away from the road, and you'll see for yourself.

fill us in Jel man .............Smelly jelly Phil man! Bam!,

jelly lives in camelpoops!

long time jelvis fan

See above, I cant seem to bold it or change the font colour]

Jelvis
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
What is the intent of doing this thread rides bike? You live in Kelowna? lol
Haha your too funny.
Jel .. Dah Bearzzzzzzz

604redneck
04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Jelly bear hes just looking for some info.....no harm intended.

Salty
04-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Don't get Jell riled up he'll go all Chuck Norris on you like now! He's a bad ass.

For bear hunting I believe he uses a 30-06 maybe a pump action, with a 4 power scope. He takes the bus out of the north shore with all his gear in a hockey bag then hits the hills out by blue pond. :cool:

itsy bitsy xj
04-18-2013, 07:19 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Jelvis
04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Salty Sweet -- you hit it right on, whaaa? Somebody's watchin me .. rockwell haha lol
Jelly Sweet n Salty

rides bike to work
04-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I just remember reading a thread in the past that you commented on. You broke down the dates when the bears wake up and how after awhile they head deep in the bush when the deer start birthing you had some other good info to but I can't seem to find the old thread tho. No hard intended its these other guys that are steering the thread south. I'm in the wack planning a trip first of may to Tulameen area. Respect the jell

Jelvis
04-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey Rides bike to work, don't worry bout me I had a tiring day and I'm half wasted. Your right tho, the dang bears are out.
April 1st is Bear Aware days start in the LOOPS. No food or waste attractants out on the streets at certain times etc. etc.
Jel .. Tired and retired in Kammy the dooable double whammy .. it's greenin up good on the hills now.

field marshal
04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
What are you so tired from Jelly?? Elvis or Jesus impersonations??? Which one is harder to rehearse??? I'm thinking Elvis!:-D Cheers-Field Marshal.

Salty
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
The Loops ain't the best bear hunting do a Jelly search he's tired and retired to nite. lol

Maybe a little east twards Revel's Toke? Or north up by Barry-hare? I mean there's a few in the sage brush but c'mon. Merrit has some merrit. too

f350ps
04-18-2013, 10:01 PM
This should be informative..............

Or not!!! K

rides bike to work
04-19-2013, 07:00 AM
No problem Jel heres a bit i found to help us learn more about our prey

Black bears have low reproductiverates compared to manyother mammals. Females usuallydon’t reach sexual maturity untilfour years of age and breed onlyevery two to three years afterthat. In areas of abundant food,they may reach maturity sooner.Where food is scarce females might not bear their firstlitter until they are six or seven years old. Althoughsome males can breed when they are one and a halfyears old, in most populations males don’t maturesexually until age five or six. Black bears can live for25 to 30 years in captivity, but their life-span in thewild is usually much shorter.Black bears in British Columbia usually mate fromearly June to mid-July. However, in a phenomenoncalled delayed implantation, the embryo does notimplant in the uterus and begin developing untilOctober or November. Cubs are born in January orFebruary, during hibernation. Black bears usually havetwo cubs, but litter sizes vary from one to five. Atbirth, cubs are hairless, blind, and weigh about 400 g.They nurse while the mother continues hibernatingand weigh 3 to 5 kg when they leave the den in spring.

rides bike to work
04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Hibernation is an important survival strategy forbears in regions such as British Columbia where theirmain foods – green vegetation, berries, salmon, andinsects – are not available in winter. Black bears typicallyhibernate for three to five months on the southcoast and for longer periods (probably five to sevenmonths) in the interior and the north. Females, particularlythe pregnant ones, hibernate longer than males.In coastal British Columbia, almost all black beardens are in or under large-diameter trees, snags, logs,or stumps and may be up to 25 m above the ground.Bears in the interior also use tree cavities, but if bigtrees are not available, the bears often den in rock cavities,under brush piles, or in holes dug into the ground.When cold weather arrives, bears become increasinglylethargic and enter their dens. During hibernationtheir heart rate drops from about 50 beats perminute to around 10. Oxygen intake decreases by half,and body temperature drops by about 3ºC. In a mostremarkable biochemical feat, hibernating black bearsdo not eat, drink, urinate, or defecate. They have aunique process for recycling metabolic wastes intonutrients. Black bears may lose up to a quarter of theirbody weight during hibernation.With only about six months to build up fat reservesfor hibernation, black bears must eat a lot of food.They are particularly attracted to foods that are abundantand high in protein and energy and that they canget with little energy expenditure. Although this strategyhelps them survive, it can also bring them into contactwith human beings.

Agent Orange
04-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Is everyone else as confused as I am?