PDA

View Full Version : Planning the Moose hunt- Love it

killerforreal
04-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Well last year was a great Moose hunt and we were able to capitalize on our first Moose as a group. Exciting stuff! We hunted in 5-02 and it was lots of fun, grouse everywhere and we knocked down a 10 point bull and a small deer. We are thinking of trying somewhere new this year. One of my partners in the Moose crew has recently relocated to Mackenzie. We are thinking of trying our luck up in that country, but again like last year, have no idea where to go. I'm thinking 7-29 or 7-30. Anybody want to throw out some ideas of what would be the best bet for a few easy going Island boys looking to enjoy the outdoors and learn some new country?

Vader
04-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I used to hunt 7-38. 11 trips 23 moose. When we first started hunting there, 1993, we saw moose every 3 kms or so. Cow and calf pairs were common, bulls, well we killed what we saw. Also saw lots of black bear and couple of wolverines. Every trip we saw less and less. the first indication of a problem we started seeing the same amount of cows no calves . Then fewer cows until the last trip where we saw 1 cow in 7 days and we saw not one black bear. That was 2005. In 2003 my camp killed 5 wolves in one pack. We watched as two separate packs worked both sides of the Mesilinka river as if in a unit. 15 dogs in one pack and 18 in the other. That was the last trip.

There has also been some huge road improvements in that area and access to Fort Ware has made the hunt harder and I slept with one eye open. Two camps when I started hunting there.. 12 when I quit.

The Nations has always been more popular which has put a lot of pressure on the moose population in that area. Seems to be the go to place for many local residents.

That being said, it's wonderful country and worth a look. Moose are where you find them and part of the hunt is the sightseeing. Go prepared as there is not a lot of access to services.

killerforreal
05-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks Vader

moosinaround
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I hear that the moose in MU 8 are doing well. I would also check out MU 6 around Smithers/Houston as the sportsmen in those MU's have been taking care of their resources, as stated in other posts! I'd avoid MU 7 as the moose populations are in very sad shape!! It is the Wild West up north circle the wagons and sleep with your back to the wall! Moosin