rides bike to work
04-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Has anyone here packed gear into there hunting spot per season
if so wwhat
packaged food
tent
tarps
sleeping mats

have you had problems with aanimals I can imagine if a bear found your stash there would be a good chance yogi would tear it to shreds
what do you stash it in
or bag it in
or hang it in

Fred1
04-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Lots of guys make stashes pre hunting trip. My buddy uses a "bear proof" container and hangs it high. Bears will destroy your shit! But so will any critter with teeth. Martins are bad, mice too! I have even head some ambitious guys make a pre hunt stash with beer in it!?!? Crrrrraaaaaazzzyyyyy..........

Drillbit
04-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Done it lots with fuel.

No problems when there's snow and burying it.
Have lost some to bears though when they're out and about, they seem to like to take a bite.

Used to stash an ATV and some dirt-bikes too at a boat access only area. The seats would always end up with bite-marks on them.
I also have two boats I hide at different lakes all the time, no roads to them, walk-in only. Even had a bear chew on one of them, must've been blood or something on the seat.

Bear Chaser
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Two legged animals are the worst.
If you leave something cached make sure it is completely hidden.

BlacktailStalker
04-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Two legged critters rarely look up.

.330 Dakota
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Two legged critters rarely look up.

Just reading your tag line, I think Average Joe is a little west of average...lol

hunter1947
04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
You take a gamble when you leave your stuff in the bush for an extended time I grind my teeth hoping that I have nothing vandalized every time I come back into my hunting camp so you take a chance when you leave things in the bush just make sure there is nothing that worth anything when you leave to go out for a short time..

Steelwheels
04-16-2013, 07:51 AM

To me it's all about Respect.. There seems to be very little of it these days...

604redneck
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
To me it's all about Respect.. There seems to be very little of it these days...
Ya because they don't let u shoot trespassers thieves or people harming ur family

Marlin375
04-16-2013, 10:17 AM
I stashed an inflateable raft years ago at a hike in lake......never do that again. No patch kit in the world could have fixed what the rodents did in a couple of months.

cariboo hunter
04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Lots of guys make stashes pre hunting trip. My buddy uses a "bear proof" container and hangs it high. Bears will destroy your shit! But so will any critter with teeth. Martins are bad, mice too! I have even head some ambitious guys make a pre hunt stash with beer in it!?!? Crrrrraaaaaazzzyyyyy..........

Man would that be a find if you were lost in the bush!!!

1/2 slam
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Be prepared for it not to be there when you go back. It may be gone (2 legged thieves) or destroyed (Critters). We leave fuel and salt. It's buried deep, but, a critter could get it. We've left other stuff and the bears dug it up and totaled it.

Singleshotneeded
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Ya because they don't let u shoot trespassers thieves or people harming ur family

They do, however, have 12 gauge shotgun shells that fire rubber slugs on sale now at Grouse River Outfitters!
They fire a rubber slug at 600 fps and they'd definitely change the attitude of a punk without doing anything permanent.
I bought two packs...:-D
However, if someone is posing a threat to you or your family, you are allowed to defend yourself...it just costs you a bunch
of money for lawdog bills establishing that you were indeed defending your family when you shot the scumbag.

Singleshotneeded
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Man would that be a find if you were lost in the bush!!!

A buddy and I found a 6 pack of beer that we drank, near a boat launch at a rec site...and a 6 pack of
old stubby bottles of Lucky that we didn't drink...same type of location, different lake.
You have to love folks that put beer in the lake to chill and then get buzzed and forget where they put it! :-D

srupp
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
hmmm have left stuff stashed both spring bear and fall.. never had any problems...not 2 legged or 4 legged...hmmm maybe I was clever...naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa steven

Hunt-4-Life
04-16-2013, 06:27 PM
I went up a big lake for a moose trip a week early to set a wall tent and generally prep camp before my dad was due to join me. Good thing too because we ran late and got caught in the rain and fog after dark while headed up the lake in the boat the next week. It got to be very slow going as the fog was thick and we couldn't see very far in front of us for quite a while. Dad was shivering by the time we were at the far end of the lake, an hour at least from the truck and another hour to town. Having that tent and dry wood already set up was AWESOME as we quickly got the stove going and got dry.

Fred1
04-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Hide a game cam too ;)

bc_archer
04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
We use Cayenne pepper to provide additional protection for our goods (food & equipment) from everything from rodents to bears and I am going to give Bear Spray a try on my next trip. Critters may bite through the first layer, but stop going further once they get a taste of cayenne. Paint it red with Bear Spray and it will probably deter four legged and two legged varmints alike!

Fred1
04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
DO NOT USE BEAR SPRAY!! Believe it or not , bears will come to it after a few days. Done it, tried it, dont work... They seem to like to check it out ... craaaaazy!????

Surrey Boy
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
I've come across a few stashed boats, two blinds, not to mention the temporarily abandoned cabins and logging camps. Seems to work well for guys who have a regular spot.

Dirty Steve
04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Every time I find a trappers cabin I make a point to leave a beer or 2 for the guy. My way of saying " hey thanks, nice place".

Deer_Slayer
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
it's the scent of sweat makes them chew on the seats. When Rogers pass was under construction the seats in the equipment got ripped to shit from bears and porcupines due to smell of sweat and salt in sweat

warnniklz
05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
I stored extra fuel, water purification and first aid once. When I went back the next week it was gone.

When I went back I was prepared as if it wasn't going to be there... And it wasn't.