PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water ?

SingleShot
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Curious if anyone has come up with any ingenious ways to have a ample supply of hot water available when hunting out of a wall tent. I am thinking of creating a heat exchanger using a section of 5" stove pipe with 1/2" copper tubing coiled around it and then encasing that in a 6" or so section of stove pipe with the end gap at top and bottom brazed shut. Would water syphon from bottom to top out of one container into another? If a guy could make it work the possibilities of putting hot water to use are endless. Imagine a heated mattress for those sore muscles at the end of the day.

BCBRAD
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Sounds great, we tryed all sorts of ways for heating water but have finally settled on 3 s/s buckets fro the man store, 27 bucks total, on the wood stove, simple and provides hot water.

f350ps
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
I bought an Eccotemp on demand hot water heater, that thing is awesome!! I run it on a 10# tank and it'll easily go 10 days with a four man camp. K

35rem
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
This is the ultimate portable hot tub. I built one in my backyard. It only takes an armful of kindling to heat up a 150 gallon stock tank.

http://islandhottub.com/woodhtr.html

35rem
04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
I have sat in one on the shores of Sugar Lake watching the stars come out with a cool beverage in my hand..

dabber
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
I made an aluminum tank that hangs on the back of our wood stove. It takes about 20 minutes to heat up enough for a shower. We use a fish pond pump in the tank and have it plumed out side on switch. We use to have a stainless heat exchanger around the stove pipe but it made so much hot water that it would percolate and keep us up at night. So now we have an aluminum pot with a tap, on the wood stove for washing dishes ....It seems best if you let it get low and top it up just before going to bed as it doesn't seem to take long before it boils.

pete_k
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I like the tank on the side of the stove. They can pack up inside the stove too to save space during transport.
Just make sure it's not too heavy when full that your stove tips over.