PDA

View Full Version : GPS questions

anglo-saxon
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Folks, I have a couple of q's for those experienced with Garmin GPS's:

1. Map: Right now I am using the Topo Canada v4., I notice, though, that many of the logging roads do not appear on the map (my older GPS and older map seemd to ahve more detail). I'm using MapQuest as the interface on my PC. Detail on both the PC Map Qust version and on my GPS is set to max, but still no logging roads (at least, not as many as there should be). Is there a better, more detailed map that you have used and can recommend? Also, the pics taken with the device that appear on the device's map, don't appear on the Map Quest map when I synch the data. Any ideas?

2. Photos: I am using the Garmin GPSmap 62sc with the camera. An interesting feature that allows pics to be taken and they are automatically geo-tagged and appear as icons on the map on the GPS. But I also want to retrieve the pics for other use and I've run into a couple of problems:

a. Some of the first pics I took, I had the GPS save them to the internal memory and now I can't seem to access them except on the GPS iteslf. The remainder, I took I saved to the micro SD card and am able to remove that and place in an SD adapter for insertion into my PC. Does anyone know if I can either move the pics that are on the internal memory to the micro SD card or can I by some other means retrieve them?

b. I have been quite frustrated with the Garmin web site (support page) and their user manual for this model. The user info is a bit thin to say the least. When it comes to uploading photos, the manual gives the "my.garmin" web site and says that once logged in instructions are available for uploading photos (quite why they don't cut and paste the same instructions into the user manual is beyond my comprehension, but there you go!). However, upon logging into "myGarmin", no such instructions appear available. Very frustrating! Anyone else had this problem or have a "fix" for it?

All info gratefully received!

Mikey_Likes_It
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Don't have experience with that exact GPS, but being that it is a garmin and has a MicroSD slot i would grab the backroads map. It seems to run a tiny bit slower than the TopoCan, but probably due to the additional detail. Nice because it is really just the digital copy of the paper book, so has all the lake names, many of the branch names, and nice contours info. you can buy it on it's own SD for all bc i think is 150, or 70 for just the island. I have been pretty impressed using it in the mid island.

hope you can get some more info on the pics.

Gun Dog
05-14-2013, 08:57 AM
TopoCanada uses Federal maps which aren't up to date with logging/resource roads. Backroads Mapbooks makes map software for Garmin which is more up to date (the same as the books). If you buy the SD card I don't think you can use the maps on your computer via [Garmin's] BaseCamp so buy the software and your own SD card.

Can't help you with the pictures. According to Garmin's web site you can use BaseCamp to download the pictures. I did come across a way to make the internal memory visible:

If your 62-device won’t boot any more just like mine did, you can enter usb-mass-storage-device-mode by pressing the “arrow down”-key before connection the usb-cable (which is connected to a running computer). After holding the button for approximately 30-seconds the internal memory becomes visible as drive and you can modify it again.