PDA

View Full Version : achery target?

pappy
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
What do you use as your archery target? For use with field points and broadheads? I have a homemade one for field points, but I'm looking at buying one that will handle broadheads. I just don't know what target I should spend money on that will take broadheads and not fall apart quickly.

Blockcaver
04-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Rhinehart 18 to 1 is a fine target. Mine is three years old and has a bit of life left in it. I have a brand new one waiting.....but will get the last from the old one first. It is small for super long range shooting, at least for me, but is portable.

StoneChaser
04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Bag target for field points...18:1 for broadheads.

I shot a pile of broadheads and field points into this target. It's got a few more shootable spots and then it's time for a new one (lasted for 2 seasons....pretty good value).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/image_zps1552dd9f.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/StoneChaser/media/image_zps1552dd9f.jpg.html)

4ptbuck
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Broadheads are the culprits in tearing apart targets.
How often are you shooting broadheads?

For me, I only shoot my broadheads before the season to tune them in and for a bit of practice with them.
I buy a big bag of peat moss, and use that as my broadhead target.
Once I am comfortable with the broadheads, the peat moss goes in the garden.

Clint_S
04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
I have a few targets but my fav. is a 5' round bale.
If you have the room they are awesome.
You will have to use blunts otherwise the arrows penetrate too much.
You can hang any kind of object off the front including paper or burlap target faces.
The real beauty is that they are $25.00 and after shooting the last one for 3 years I opened it up and after peeling 6 in. of moldy hay from the outside the rest was in perfect condition and went to the horses.

Net cost $5.00 and no chance of missing and ruining an arrow.

Onesock
04-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Small chance of missing..........

allan
04-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Rhineheart 18-1, my target looks like the one pictured above. But it's taken alot of broadheads. I'll buy the same thing when I wear out my current target.

bearhunter338-06
04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Try a bag of peat-moss for your broadheads

Clint_S
04-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Small chance of missing..........

I stand corrected :)

Ry151
04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
I have the same one. Great for broad heads. Don't leave it in direct sunlight when your not using it though. Mine when dry and hard on one side after leaving it out all summer . By the look of yours I need to practice a ton more!

Bag target for field points...18:1 for broadheads.

I shot a pile of broadheads and field points into this target. It's got a few more shootable spots and then it's time for a new one (lasted for 2 seasons....pretty good value).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/image_zps1552dd9f.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/StoneChaser/media/image_zps1552dd9f.jpg.html)

Bowzone_Mikey
04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Hips Targets ... by far and large the best commercially availible multi purpose target I have used.

Super lightweight ... takes a beating ... wears well in the sun ...

I shot the hell out of mine with 3 of my bows ... Target bow , hunting bow and a for fun longbow ... target points & broadheads from both compounds and feild points and 2 blade broad heads from my long bow ....

it weathered well in the sun and rain of the spring /summer & fall ... currently however its buried under snow undergoing a seasonal test.
I will let you know when i uncover it

they are lightweight as my 4 year old daughter picked it up and moved it all around the yard last year

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/hips1.jpg

Ike
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
That's exactly how mine looked after a year and a half! I wrapped the 'carcass' with a couple layers of duct tape after packing all the holes with vapour barrier plastic to get more life out of it. We'll see how much longer it lasts.

Mountaintop
04-18-2013, 07:43 AM
I use a couple bales of compressed peat moss too. Cost about $7 a bale and I use a little duct tape to patch the holes in the bags once they get too big. I've had the same bales for three seasons now and cover with a tarp in winter. I have maybe a hundred broadhead shots through them and can probably go another season. When the bag turns completely to duct tape you can dump it in the garden and get new ones. The secret to long life for the peat moss bag is not to pull the broadhead out but push through until head is outside the bag, remove the head and then pull the shaft out. That way there is no damage to your fletching

firstlight
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
For non broadheads: I went to a coffee house and asked for one of the large bags that all the beans are delivered in. It's burlap.

Then I went to a foam store and got a bunch of free foam scraps which I stuffed into the burlap sack. (Shopping bags like from Thrifties work better but you need a lot)

I used zip ties to close the bag up.

I went to the carpet store and got a nice big swatch of square carpet for a backdrop.

Target works as good as any store bought and easier to pull.

Cost = Free.

Sideofabarn
04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/hips1.jpg[/QUOTE]
:shock: damn nice shootin' there young fella, show off... I have the Rhinehart as well, and so far so good. I'll wait to see when mine looks as shot through as some others on here

steff
04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
I used to shoot on a special foam target ( I moved from germany to canada, and this target was lasting almost forever, but only almost...)and only for field points.
went to wholesale sports checking out what is on the market here... and the guy from the archery department gave me just a cotton bag, 26 bucks and told me , go to the recycling depot and fill up/stuff the bag with plastic bags!
I was a bit suspicious, I thought- this might work for a slow recurve bow...
But I like the idea to check things out - especially if things can get expensive ...
So I went to the recycling depot with my bag, stuffed it up and tested it next day in the woods with my brand new PSE Revenge 60lbs - 10 to 60 yard ...
The Arrows didn't even went through the bag, they got stuck at max 6 to 7 inch- I was totally surprised !
(beman hunter , field point)
I tried a slicktrick broad head- same penetration picture- BUT to get out the broadhead thats where the trouble starts.

Ike
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
UPDATED: The duct tape is working well to hold the target together but it leaves tape residue on the arrows.

E.V.B.H.
05-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Check out the rhinehart block instead of the 18-1. It has a replaceable core for heavy broad head use. Only block target I've seen yet with this feature.

Wullfen
05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
I picked up a Team Realtree Yellow block at Wholesale, it's been great so far for broadheads and field points.

huntcoop
05-28-2013, 09:55 PM
...The Block

leftfield
06-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I wonder what would happen if I filled a bag full of shrink wrap from the pallets at work, anyone?

Ambush
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I wonder what would happen if I filled a bag full of shrink wrap from the pallets at work, anyone?

That's all I use. I tightly pack a 16"X16" or larger, heavy, cardboard box with discarded shrink wrap for my basement targets. I use shrink wrap, packed in large white plastic weave bags, for outside. I got the bags at Princess Auto. Great for keeping bloody meat from soaking your pack to. I also have three 3D targets and a Rhinehart 18-1 for broadheads.
Shrink wrap is great because it does not take on water.

BradB
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
That's what I was told to do for field points but not for broadheads.

Ambush
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
That's what I was told to do for field points but not for broadheads.

Absolutely correct! Only shot broadheads into a bag target if you have five minutes to cut each one out with a sharp knife.

greybark
06-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Two points , Coffee bags are prefered as the heavy course fibre tends to part and move around the tip of the target point as opposed to a tight weave which will cut the finer strands . Secondly make sure your arrow points have a sharp point but a very small rounding of the tip will greatly extend the life of the Bag ...
OK one more point for the higher velocity arrows mix in old rags with your plastic for extra stopping power and still easy removal .
Cheers