PDA

View Full Version : fsr active or not?

olympia
04-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Hey guys im gonna ask a silly question and risk your ridicule instead of getting my arshole smashed by a logging truck, how do you know if a fsr has logging trucks going up and down it? will there be a sign stating so? a radio frequency? I was driving towards Hicks Lake and Deer Lake in Harrison a few weeks ago and fu$k me...they get close sometimes

Sofa King
04-14-2013, 01:30 AM
the trucks are usually pretty active when they are hauling.
i sit and wait for one going up and follow it in.
in my area anyway, not sure about there.
if you drive super defensively and keep a sharp eye and quick reflexes, it's alright to head in usually.
but, it's always the safest bet to follow one in.
a radio is definitely the way to go when driving logging roads.

.270boy
04-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Always assume that they're hauling on the road and you won't be surprised. Drive slow, stay on your side of the road especially around corners.

Looks for large tire tracks/ recent use at the start of the road. Can normally tell if trucks are using it to haul on. If you know they are hauling on it and you know the road is narrow and windy, wait and follow someone with a radio, or go somewhere else.

cdnshooter13
04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
I just read the road, logging trucks dont excactly tread lightly. If it looks like there has been recent traffic then drive very cautiously. I dont really drive any different if theyre hauling or not I always assume a crummy or logging truck or even a guy on a quad could come around the corner at any second. I always stick to my side of the road around blind turns and asses how much room i can take on my side without flying overva bank or cliff, but i will take a ditch over a head on any day. Time of day can play a factor as in which direction they are travelling and how many loads a day they can get in.

high and to the right
04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Respect logging trucks. They need the middle of the road because of their weight and size. Roads are not flat, they slope to the sides and the safest place for a big truck is the middle on the crest of the road which means that you need to ride the far side/ditch when you pass them. If you see them coming it is best to pull over as far as you can and stop till they are past you. If a big truck goes too far to the side of the road and starts to slide on the wet road or loose gravel there is very little it can do to stop from sliding into the ditch or turning over. They are not jerks when they hog the middle of the road and make you go into the ditch. It is a safety issue for them.

Ry151
04-14-2013, 09:10 AM
If its a busy road you can usually tell because of the dirt and dust falling off the trucks will be packed out onto the pavent for 100' or so. Roads are supposed to be marked with the name and freq at the start of each road. If you drive on your side and DONT CUT CORNERS you'll be fine and be ready for the speed they are going. They drive that road usually a couple times a day and those trucks handle way better than yours and loaded traffic (trucks going down) have the right of way. After the first few trucks you meet they will let the guy behind them know your comin
Aslo if you have a hand held radio remember that they don't have vary good range (5km in flat) so call all the miles and don't expect to hear anyone else call as a precaution.
For the cost of radios these days get one if you can. $200 on eBay will buy you a descent radio just make sure it's one your local guy can program. (Icom is pretty standard). It's cheap safety while driving or if you need help in an emergency

Ride Red
04-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Respect logging trucks. They need the middle of the road because of their weight and size. Roads are not flat, they slope to the sides and the safest place for a big truck is the middle on the crest of the road which means that you need to ride the far side/ditch when you pass them. If you see them coming it is best to pull over as far as you can and stop till they are past you. If a big truck goes too far to the side of the road and starts to slide on the wet road or loose gravel there is very little it can do to stop from sliding into the ditch or turning over. They are not jerks when they hog the middle of the road and make you go into the ditch. It is a safety issue for them.

X2. Plus, if it wasn't for logging and mining, we wouldn't have roads into the back country. Respect forestry roads and the people who constructed/make their living on them.

Fred1
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
The roads are supposed to be posted when hauling is active. However Dont rely on that!! Cause you will be the dead one. Give the log truck drivers some space. The hwy trucks weight aroung 50 tons loaded, the coastal off road trucks twice that. They stop like a train and handle like a battleship. Good advice as mentioned above. Look for the clues - after 2pm watch out for the boys heading home in thier pick ups - they will be givin'er!!! For certain when you pass a truck that they are talking about you to each other. If in doubt call the forest company working in the area. Be safe!

itsy bitsy xj
04-14-2013, 09:37 AM
next time you're going up there give me a call and I'll ride shot gun and bring my hand held VHF then we can here where the trucks are and let them know where we are. Plus maybe I can get a spring bear

Bigbear
04-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Check the brush on the side of the road. If its covers in dust , Their hauling

Bigbear
04-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Check the brush on the side of the road. If its covers in dust , Their hauling , I drive one. See if you can ride with one of the Guys. Its a good way to see where the Game is moving aroiund

E.V.B.H.
04-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Even though most of us don't, I'm guilty myself, you are supposed to have a radio to travel on logging roads. This is posted at the start of lots of them with the frequency. Call your kilometres with road name, number followed by "unloaded" on the way up and "loaded" on the way down. Ex. cabin road 13km loaded, says where you are and what direction you are headed. This is how industry workers locate themselves.

If you know they are hauling and don't have a radio, do yourself and everyone else a favour and go somewhere else, or as stated and wait for a truck with radio and follow them in. They will also sometimes work on weekends, I've been where I know they with are hauling with no radio on a sunday, thinking I was safe and caught off guard by a loaded truck.

Singleshotneeded
04-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Go on Amazon.com and buy a Baofeng UHF/VHF handheld radio for $40 and the 12 volt car accessory unit for it for $10.
Go online and program it with all the radio frequencies for the logging roads you might find yourself on, write them on a
list, and put your radio on the right frequency when you hit an FSR. You can listen to the logging traffic and use the radio to
transmit a message in an emergency, or use it for short range communication on the GMRS frequencies, talking to any of your
buds that bought a GMRS radio.

olympia
04-15-2013, 12:59 AM
but if the road has no frequency posted does that mean there is no logging go on? for example psayten fsr near princeton?

#1fishslayer
04-15-2013, 08:34 AM
I was told that to use a 2 way radio you need to be licensed......

Gun Dog
04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Yes, you need a license to transmit on a specific frequency. In theory you can't program a 2-way radio but there are ham radios that work in those frequencies. You're best getting a scanner so you can program the channels/frequencies you need.

There are some pilot projects in BC for using a standard set of channels (like marine channels) instead of listing frequencies. It'll be nice to program all the frequencies for the entire province and forget about it.

Road Radio Project (http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/documents/Road_Radio_Project/PRC-07-1issue3-June-2010.pdf)
Changes to South Peace Resource Roads (http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/engineering/documents/Road_Radio_Project/Resource-Road-Notification-Letter-March-%2713.pdf)

Resource Road User Safety Guide (http://www.bcforestsafe.org/Resource_Road_User_Safety_Guide)

DanTheMan
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Digging up an older thread, but I don't suppose anyone has a list of all of the resource road frequencies (i.e. RR-4 etc)?

junkyard_g
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
resource road frequencies are not standardized yet for much of the province. I think its coming into effect next year. Your local radio shop should have the necessary frequencies for your area. Before I had a proper 2-way in my pickup I bought some programmable handhelds from China of ebay for 100 bucks a piece. Don't think they were technically legal here but I'll take safe over legal anyday.

junkyard_g
11-01-2013, 09:59 AM
And you don't have to have a 2way on 99% of fsrs legally. They are radio assisted not radio controlled. Industrial traffic however does have to have radios though.

DanTheMan
11-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank junkyard. I picked up an Kenwood TM-281A, seems like a good radio. I have some frequencies that I am going to program in so I'll just go with those for now. It is field programmable as well so if I come across a road with a frequency I don't have I can just punch it in and away we go.

I completely agree with you. I would much rather not be crunched by a logger going around a blind curve than be in total compliance with the law.

Pete
11-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Even though most of us don't, I'm guilty myself, you are supposed to have a radio to travel on logging roads. This is posted at the start of lots of them with the frequency. Call your kilometres with road name, number followed by "unloaded" on the way up and "loaded" on the way down. Ex. cabin road 13km loaded, says where you are and what direction you are headed. This is how industry workers locate themselves.

If you know they are hauling and don't have a radio, do yourself and everyone else a favour and go somewhere else, or as stated and wait for a truck with radio and follow them in. They will also sometimes work on weekends, I've been where I know they with are hauling with no radio on a sunday, thinking I was safe and caught off guard by a loaded truck.

The way we call has changed.....the terms loaded and unloaded are no longer used. The call is FSR followed by the Km sign follow by the terms UP or Down for example Harris Creek... 22... Down.

.270boy
11-02-2013, 02:52 PM
The way we call has changed.....the terms loaded and unloaded are no longer used. The call is FSR followed by the Km sign follow by the terms UP or Down for example Harris Creek... 22... Down.

Trucks as in logging trucks or lowbeds do call Loaded (down) or empty (up), they will also quite often call both example "Harris Creek - 22 down - Loaded" other times you will only get "Harris Creek - 22 down" in that case I would assume it is a loaded truck.

If you are in a pickup do not use loaded or unloaded to call your direction on the road. If you are in a pickup use Up or Down and specify that you are in a pickup example "Harris Creek - 22 down - Pickup" . This is the standard way to call. I drive FSR's daily and it gets really annoying when someone in a pickup is calling loaded or empty, or not specifying that they are in a pickup.

If I know a pickup is coming down the road I will drive more cautiously when I expect to meet him and normally you can drive past each other. If a loaded truck or low bed is coming down I will pull off the road before I meet him and call "pickup cleared at 22km on Harris Creek" to let the truck know I am out of the way.

DanTheMan
11-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Trucks as in logging trucks or lowbeds do call Loaded (down) or empty (up), they will also quite often call both example "Harris Creek - 22 down - Loaded" other times you will only get "Harris Creek - 22 down" in that case I would assume it is a loaded truck.

If you are in a pickup do not use loaded or unloaded to call your direction on the road. If you are in a pickup use Up or Down and specify that you are in a pickup example "Harris Creek - 22 down - Pickup" . This is the standard way to call. I drive FSR's daily and it gets really annoying when someone in a pickup is calling loaded or empty, or not specifying that they are in a pickup.

If I know a pickup is coming down the road I will drive more cautiously when I expect to meet him and normally you can drive past each other. If a loaded truck or low bed is coming down I will pull off the road before I meet him and call "pickup cleared at 22km on Harris Creek" to let the truck know I am out of the way.

This is the way we do it when driving work vehicles.

GotaGun
11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
next time you're going up there give me a call and I'll ride shot gun and bring my hand held VHF then we can here where the trucks are and let them know where we are. Plus maybe I can get a spring bear
Hicks lake is in a Provincial Park that doesn't allow guns..
Or has this changed??

GotaGun
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Also to keep it "legal" was told by a cop if you don't have license, said just unplug the mic and it is now a scanner and put the mic in your glove box for the "emergency use"

Papa Sasquatch
11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
There are in most cases excellent reasons for the rules in place but the one you never want to break is "don't get caught"!. I drive my rig on all terrains and when on logging roads I much rather hear a pick up truck with an illegal radio calling out up or down then suddenly appear in a corner like a deer about to get run over!