PDA

View Full Version : Process to get Farmer's permission to hunt on land?

DistractedScholar
04-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently living in the Vancouver area, and I'd like to get a farmer's permission to hunt gophers on his or her's land. However, I have no idea where to start. Where should I look for farmers with appropriate land? How should I go about asking?

Also, because ground squirrel are schedule B animals, do I need a license to hunt them on a farmer's land?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Sofa King
04-14-2013, 01:18 AM
i'd start by going for a drive and pulling in to appropriate farms.
i'm more familiar with out in saskatchewan, but farmers are farmers.

Mr. Dean
04-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Knock on door, say howdy.
Not many gophers around here but you do need a license.

BiG Boar
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Hahahah. Gophers...... In Vancouver.

Steeleco
04-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Having one of these can't hurt.

http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=224&Itemid=269

DistractedScholar
04-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll take a drive out to the farmlands one of these days.

Fella
04-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently living in the Vancouver area, and I'd like to get a farmer's permission to hunt gophers on his or her's land. However, I have no idea where to start. Where should I look for farmers with appropriate land? How should I go about asking?

Also, because ground squirrel are schedule B animals, do I need a license to hunt them on a farmer's land?

Dont waste your time in the Fraser valley. Annual flooding=no ground squirrels.

kevan
04-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Dont waste your time in the Fraser valley. Annual flooding=no ground squirrels.

Apparently some really good spots in the Cariboo...

Dannybuoy
04-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

Word of mouth is always a good way to go as well . Maybe someone you work or go to school with has family or friends that own farmland .

Jelvis
04-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Phone that guy from Caddy Shack he'll let you down a gopher or two lol ..
Jel .. Welcome to HBC distracted scholar, and I know what's distracting you lol ..

Fella
04-14-2013, 05:49 PM
To be honest, you'd probably have an easier time getting permission to hunt crows.

Hi all,

BCMarc
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Apparently some really good spots in the Cariboo...

Lots of them in the Cariboo. Was up outside of Williams Lake looking at a property on Saturday. Little targets were plentiful.

bccanadian
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Hahahah. Gophers...... In Vancouver.

Maybe he meant "golfers"......:0

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Just hope the farmers down there are not like a certain one in pg who is apparently not shy about chasing people who are still on public land near her farm with her shotgun and quad.

warnniklz
04-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Lots of them in the Cariboo. Was up outside of Williams Lake looking at a property on Saturday. Little targets were plentiful.

Out towards horsefly/spokin lake are your best bets.

Wild one
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Never seen a gopher in the lower mainland so it will probably be a really tough hunt

dak0ta
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Must be a new 'urban hunter' hipster fad in the city :mrgreen:

digger
04-26-2013, 07:49 AM
lots in manning park hahahaha

Hunt-4-Life
04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Some fields around the Cariboo are littered with them, some are totally void of gophers. My experience is that ranchers may let you shoot if you know them and they know you, but you never know. Make a responsible impression on the guy and treat the rancher with the respect owed him, that goes a long way.