PDA

View Full Version : Omineca/Peace Region 7 LEH Bison

Karl
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
So here i am crusin through the LEH papers and this year i have decided to put in for this draw (region 7 bison) i noticed in the notes below the hunt codes that there is this:
hunters are prohibited from using a weapon other than:
a rifle that fires a 175 grain or larger bullet retaining 2712 joules (2000 foot pounds) or more energy at 100 metres or
a bow having a pull greater than 22.6 kg within the archers draw length an arrow greater than 26 grams in weight and a broadhead greater than 8.1 grams in weight and 2.2 cm in width at its widest point.
hunters are reminded that under section........... of the wildlife act anyone who kills or injures wildlife must make a reasonable attempt to retrieve that wildlife and if its is alive to kill it. this is particulary importain with bison.

so i understand this i guess...... but i hunt with a 270. and have usually only shot with a 130 grain or 150 grain bullet.... i dont know if that load with my caliber of rifle shoots at 2712 joules..... certainly wouldn't think so if they suggest you cant use anything less than 175 grain....
im no seasoned bison hunter but i figured my trusty old 270 could topple one of these beasts? no? some help and any light shedding on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
karl.

Salty
04-13-2013, 08:36 PM
No your 270 won't cut it. More so if this is a new hunt for you you should really research the area and how to hunt off a snow mobile in very cold weather a long ways from the truck.

Karl
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
i will be going into the area with a guy who goes in there regularly if im lucky enough to get it.....
if my 270 is no good i may have to try the bow... or borrow a gun

bowhunterbruce
04-13-2013, 08:40 PM
2 years ago i watched a bull take 200 grains of lead from a 30-06 at less then 20 yards run away like he wasn't even hit, it took an addition of 2 other shots to slow him down enough to feel the effects of the first one.
bison are extreamly thick skinned and if you hit a rib bone, with your first shot and it does not have the kennic energy to carry through while still being somehwhat intact, the likelyhood of a clean kill is at best mediocre.
bhb

Fred1
04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
A friend of mine got that draw a couple of years ago. They got a bison. It took 3 hits form a 338 240 grain nosler. I saw the video. Tough beast! Afterwards it was determined the critter was dead on its feet with the first shot - or would have died, eventually. Ritch was amazed how that bison sucked up the damage. I have been close to bison. They are big thick densely built animals. Im sure a 270 would kill one but the shot must be GOOD! Thick hides, dense tissue and big bones -not really favorable with for 270. And those things can run a looooong way! Im sure I could kill a grizzly with my 270wsm, but I wouldnt go grizzly hunting with it. Always stack the odds in your favor! I recommend you " gun up" I would adhere to what the regs say you must use as a mimimum. Gun up and make a good kill. A great quote floating around is : "always use enough gun"
Good luck!!

Karl
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
great information guys! thankyou! not knowing the bison that much much light has now been shed on my question.... truly a large tough beast! looks like i might have to pull the trigger on getting that new gun this year! although i trust my 270 to take down most game now im not thinking so in this case! wow more bison stories would be cool!! anyone have more experiences????

aggiehunter
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
That was the only hunt I have ever been on where the word "intrepid" was used by me and my buddy...minus 30....20 miles from the truck...machine problems....deep snow...grizzlies....yah go figure...grizzlies.....but alas...we got a bison...but you better be freakin prepared to survive possibly the WORST...and I AM NOT trying to better my odds in the draw...just sayin...

bowhunterbruce
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrJcm_1lfQ

here is our video
bhb

Fincat
04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
I got the draw for this last Jan. Did lots of reading about the Bison and found out that the vitals are not where you see them on elk or moose and such.
They are much lower and more forward. It was a great hunt and I was successful managing to get a smaller one that dressed out at about 450.
I shot it with a 3oo WSM T3 and a 180 grain Barns that did the job at about 50 yards. But seeing some of those BIG BOYS I would not have tryed it with anything smaller. "Good luck to all" in getting the draw as it is a great hunt if you have all the equippment to deal with it.

Karl
04-13-2013, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrJcm_1lfQ

here is our video
bhb

very cool man. getting me stoked........... shouldnt be countin them chickens before they hatch though!!!!!!! totally know what im up against though as i'm applying for the later date draw i know i'm up against some cold cold weather and true endurance... love a challenge and something different!

Fraink
04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
it has been awhile since i did the math but I believe the 3006 with a 180gr is just above the minimum energy required. I have accompanied two bison hunts, both were taken with one well placed shot. First was a 3006 second was a 300winmag. It is important to know to shoot in the lower half of the chest cavity, look on line for bison anatomy, there is some good info from the ranch hunts in the states as well as gender ID.

Iltasyuko
04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
You probably know, but use a high end bullet too - I used a 180gr TSX in. .300wsm and it worked very well - I was impressed what that bullet did. I would not want to try it with a plain vanilla cheaper cup and core bullet - I am sure they are taken with the lower end bullets but you may as well stack the odds in your favour.

tomahawk
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I think your on the right track now. The reason the MOE has put restrictions on what can and cant be used in the pursuit of Bison is straightforward, its needed for a quick humane kill. I have been in on 5 Bulls in 15 yrs, all taken with 175 or 180 grain quality bullets from 30-06, 7mm mag and 300 win mag. First shot is critical in any animal and IMHO on the Bison as well. As mentioned know where the vitals are located, on a big bull if you shoot center of the chest behind the shoulder, its guaranteed to miss the vitals everytime! The hide in spots on a big bull is an inch thick and then there is the massive amounts of hair to contend with also. Here's a bull we got lucky on as the shot hit the spine but could easily have hit nothing but meat as well. Check this video out as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdi5EoDv2z8

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09075-1.jpg