PDA

View Full Version : Calling Wolves

Weatherby Fan
04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Wednesday my son and I ran up to the cabin in area 3 and thought we might look for a bear and shoot a few coyotes,well never seen a bear.....but I figured a little early just yet,ice was still on the lake and an inch of fresh snow Thursday morning.

Out early Thursday for a drive and ran up to 100 mile and met and had lunch and a great visit with Remington Jim,Tuchodi and Canuck Shooter.
Nice to finally meet people you only see or talk to on the internet.

On our way back Brad and I stopped into a meadow at 6:30pm near where we hunt deer and set up our Foxpro caller on rabbit in distress and after 15 minutes nothing.......so he switched it to fawn in distress and after 10 minutes out comes a wolf at about 300 yards on the opposite side of the meadow pacing back and forth so he shot first and missed and I tried and spun it around and off it went......couldn't find any blood so not positive if I/we hit it.

I was surprised that we called in a wolf so easy......so now I'm all excited about getting back up there to have another go at them.

We had a great cpl of days,besides the wolf we called in we seen about 20 sheep at Spences Bridge,lots of deer,no bears and one coyote that never stopped running and no shot at him.

Anyone else have any success calling wolves in ?

WF

Drillbit
04-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Not calling them out into the open, but I've been able to bring them in close from a long way off.

Steelpulse
04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
if a wolf is close then I'm sure will come and take a look but I think finding them in the first place is the hard part, looks like you found them though I would be getting to that area lots and trying to put a couple down, good luck I can't wait to get a wolf, saw one last year up monte lake way I didnt get a shot but friends did, no luck running away tall grass 300 yards, im going to be out all spring bear season trying to call a big bear in so maybe will bring a wolf in too

Weatherby Fan
04-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Yeh for sure about finding them that's the main thing and not always the easiest, but I'm not sure what surprised me more that the call worked or that it was a wolf it called in, and then coming right into the open.
Either way I can't wait to get back there and see if we can get a cpl.

NovemberBravo
04-13-2013, 04:32 PM
if a wolf is close then I'm sure will come and take a look but I think finding them in the first place is the hard part, looks like you found them though I would be getting to that area lots and trying to put a couple down, good luck I can't wait to get a wolf, saw one last year up monte lake way I didnt get a shot but friends did, no luck running away tall grass 300 yards, im going to be out all spring bear season trying to call a big bear in so maybe will bring a wolf in too

Sorry to sidetrack the thread but what calls would you use for bears? Do you find you have much success?
Thanks
NB

Mr. Dean
04-14-2013, 12:57 AM
I called one into ~ 70 yards in January.

Cut this track on the road:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1010403_web.jpg

... and set up on the edge of the timber where he went in.
Didn't get a shot off but did get to see him.

Calls work.

Mr. Dean
04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but what calls would you use for bears? Do you find you have much success?
Thanks
NB

I've used a mouth blown fawn/elk distress on bears.
Calls work.

Sofa King
04-14-2013, 01:09 AM
300 yards and you both missed?
might want to be going to the range and sighting the guns in.

Weatherby Fan
04-14-2013, 05:59 AM

I knew we forgot to do something :confused:

Spy
04-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I knew we forgot to do something :confused:
Lol that is to funny:-)

604redneck
04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
dont need to sight in the guns just need to use machine guns like some americans

OutWest
04-14-2013, 11:06 AM

I think they did just what everyone should do and let the lead fly.

Drillbit
04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm happy to hear they were shooting instead of taking pictures. They did train 'em up a bit though

NovemberBravo
04-14-2013, 09:34 PM
I've used a mouth blown fawn/elk distress on bears.
Calls work.

Thanks. Will have to try that out.

Steelpulse
04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks
NB
Plan on using everything from rabbit distress to fawn distress see what works see who comes, as for success I have never hunted bears before but I am pretty confident going in with this technique, read a lot about it, heard lots about it supposed to be a great technique which is lots of fun, so going to give it a shot will let you how it goes

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
I havemt looked yet but i thought electrnic calls are not legal in BC for Predator calls . ?

Steelpulse
04-14-2013, 11:28 PM
you can use them, regs page 18 Additional Hunting Method Restrictions rule 34

Mr. Dean
04-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Electronic calls are A OK for dogs-n-cats. Not sure about bears though... Would need to look that one up.

kishman
04-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Electronic calls are A OK for dogs-n-cats. Not sure about bears though... Would need to look that one up.
Negative on electronic calls for Bear hunting. Dog, Cats and Crows are a "go" though.

Weatherby Fan
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Negative on electronic calls for Bear hunting. Dog, Cats and Crows are a "go" though.

Dont worry when we're calling for Wolves and Coyotes if any Bears come in we'll shoo them away !

NovemberBravo
04-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Plan on using everything from rabbit distress to fawn distress see what works see who comes, as for success I have never hunted bears before but I am pretty confident going in with this technique, read a lot about it, heard lots about it supposed to be a great technique which is lots of fun, so going to give it a shot will let you how it goes

Let me know how it goes. I am going to try it next time I get out and hopefully it will lead to some bear meat in the freezer :).

Fred1
04-15-2013, 08:42 PM
We call them in quite often. However they seldom pop right out into the open. They will move around in the cover and try to figure you out. Try calling somwhere wher there is a fringe, ie a river, lake, pond, cutblock, meadow etc you might see them/ one moving along the fringe.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-19-2013, 12:46 AM
ok i have the Primos cottentail and the paker and hall . they have worked for me in the past . .

boxhitch
04-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Good to see you guys giving it a good effort
but remember, every time you draw one in and get busted or somehow don't seal the deal , that predator has just learned a lesson for life, and is not likely to respond again
Good luck out there

mungojeerie
04-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I was deer hunting a cut in 100 mile two years ago and before I left I decided to use a rabbit in distress mouth call to see if I could bring in a yote, was only my a few min before a black wolf came by. Never got a shot off as I only caught glimpses of it as it moved through the trees at the far end if the cut. My heart was racing, I thought forsure it was coming out.

And once up PG way I tossed the electronic caller outside the camper door at night and played a coyote challenge sequence just to see if I could hear a response. Instead of a yote yipping a wolf let out one hell of a howl from what sounded like right beside the camper, my buddy just about fell out of his bunk laughing at how fast I shot back inside and slammed the door shut haha. Caught me off guard that's forsure.