PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of Urban Hunters

dak0ta
04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Ethical+killing+urban+hunters+looking+sustainable+ ethical+ways/8237288/story.html

I came across the article this morning. I kind of disagree with the premise on why they're hunting, because they make eating 'organic meat' as 'hip', but it's just the way we 'regular, non-hip' guys and girls have been harvesting food for years. More hunters means less opportunity and game for those of us that truly enjoy the hunt, not just as a passing fad. On the flip side, they may help make hunting more mainstream and accepted again. Thoughts? I also hope that the hunting courses and firearm courses weed out the non-responsible individuals so we don't have accidents in the bush.

bandit
04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Full credit to Dylan at Eatwild for promoting hunting to potentially our most dangerous enemies - inner city liberal types. It is finally becoming accepted in hunting circles across the globe that we should spend more time and effort promoting the positive aspects of our sport instead of simply defending against attacks by the antis. Organic health meat is about as positive as you can get IMO.

Have to disagree about there being less game for the rest of us. More license revenue and voters can only be good for our wildlife. And let's be honest these hipsters are hardly going to be the ones driving all the way to northern bc and spending 2 weeks in the bush!

I am astounded that the Sun managed to publish this article without including quotes from PETA or any of the other ignorant morons.

TyTy
04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
I also hope that the hunting courses and firearm courses weed out the non-responsible individuals so we don't have accidents in the bush.

Hahahaha, Ha! Are you kidding me? There is no cure for stupid and both the core and FAC course are pretty much designed a drunken monkey can pass. More hunters means more money to the government, plain and simple.

Farmer
04-13-2013, 09:30 AM
I am astounded that the Sun managed to publish this article without including quotes from PETA or any of the other ignorant morons.

Well they did trash all those hunters who hunt other than Deer, elk Moose, and game birds as trophy hunters who are only after the antlers or hide.

Gateholio
04-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I would have preferred if they didn't include the "fly fishing elitist" element in the article- making distinctions between perceived trophy and meat hunting- but other than that small faux pas, there wasn't anything negative in the article.

I'm not in the slightest bit worried about more competition, or accidents. This is a great thing for hunting in BC.

pnbrock
04-13-2013, 10:16 AM
it will be a passing fad!!

Gateholio
04-13-2013, 10:17 AM
It's actually a growing trend.

2chodi
04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
And another recent hunting related article in the sun:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/numbers+Hunting/8237298/story.html

sapper
04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I was just going to post the same article. I loved the line, "recovering vegetarian" in the article. This article was actually forwarded to me from a friend who is a pescatarian but very supportive of me hunting and has said on numerous occasions that if he were to eat meat he'd want to be eating hunted meat as we are.

Scuba_Dave
04-13-2013, 10:30 AM
It will be a passing fad, and I agree...These hipsters arent going to spend that much time in the bush, spend to much time doing their hair and cleaning their nails at home...If given the chance to purchase "game" meat at a store they would be all over it lol...Ie the "bison" that you can now buy in the lower mainland and south island :)

It will bolster the ratings for hunters though thats for certain. Only good things can come from this!!!!

Walking Buffalo
04-13-2013, 10:51 AM
it will be a passing fad!!

I don't think so. At worst, these people may not hunt but will support hunting.

I'm living in central Calgary, and I speak with "Green" urbanites every day. Ten years ago the majority would be opposed to hunting. Today, the majority favour hunting. What changed? Commercial animal husbandry practices. Urbanites are becoming disgusted with the present large scale commercial animal husbandry practices. Even urbanites are starting to understand that "using" wildlife actually promotes wildlife prosperity. Eat cows, and there is a larger market for beef. Eat wild venison, and there is a need for more wildlife....

I can personally attest that many of these urban hippies will hunt if the opportunity to learn how arises. I have helped half a dozen hippies and "moral vegans" get into hunting over the last four years. All of them hunt on their own now. They just needed someone to help get them started.

Gateholio
04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
It's not even close to a "passing fad." This is a growing trend that has been observed over the last few year,s possibly more in the USA. People are taking an active interest in where their food comes from, buying organic, seeking out farmers markets and farmers, and taking up hunting.

I've watched it happen here in the Sea to Sky area where Whistler snowboarders (who came from urban backgrounds) have been taking up hunting. I've taken out more women hunting in the last few years, too. I've been reading about the trend in food related publications for several years, and we even have food network TV shows were the hosts go out hunting and cook their kill. Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay, among others- have been filmed shooting game and cooking it.

These urban hunters are one part of a overall trend to more awareness of quality food sources. Not everyone that buys artisan cheese at a farmers market is going to take up a rifle of course, but this movement will continue growing for some time. It's a good thing for all of us, and these urbanites should be embraced, not ridiculed.

Spirit's Master
04-13-2013, 11:12 AM
4x4 truck and gasoline sales will be up. You won't be able to find a long gun or ammo on any gun shop shelf anywhere. All the hotties will be wearing 'Little CAMO dresses' to the sushi bars. Welcome to the club and thanks for supporting the economy.

cwf

sawmill
04-13-2013, 11:12 AM
I agree,any city kid that takes up hunting is one for our side.I hope it keeps going.It can`t hurt to have former anti`s decide it`s O.K. to get your food from the bush instead of the store and not shit on us because we actually killed OUR supper.People are getting WAY too disconnected from life itsownself.

hotshot
04-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I read a lot of comments here about needing a big 4x4 etc to hunt, but alot of these people are hikers and outdoors enthusiasts. I took one friend hunting, he didn't really want to go, but I told him it was a 12 km hike and the trail led to beautiful scenery so he said ok. Took a car, hiked off a paved road and killed a black bear 7km in, he was hooked. It was an epiphany for him, to be able to enjoy nature in its fullest as a 'predator' felt right, natural, and rewarding. The bear fit in my pack and in the back trunk for the drive home, no 4x4 and two hours from Van. People like that will hunt for the experience first, and if they stop they will remain supportive which will only be beneficial.

Soon electric cars will outnumber pickups in the bush, lol.

DMA1983
04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
I saw this article and bought the first newspaper I've bought in years. This is one of the first times I've seen any pro hunting articles in main stream media for years. Yes I'm sure this will be a fad for some, but I don't think I need to tell anyone here how quickly you become hooked on hunting. A large number of us were fortunate enough to be introduced to hunting by our parents, while these people had to find it for themselves. Lets not discourage new hunters by calling them hipsters. At the very least they are pro hunters instead of anti hunters, so if they're all just hipsters following a fad we can enjoy a time of being the hippest hipsters because we liked hunting before it was cool. It is a sign of hope for the future of our passion. I would encourage everyone to buy a copy of this paper, as a signal to the mainstream media, telling our side of the story sells must as any papers as berating hunters. Side note.......I wonder if that girl is gonna have any trouble finding a hunting partner.

BiG Boar
04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
I think its great and something that should be encouraged. The more people in the "for" category, the easier it will be for us.

Hadda
04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Hopefully more hunters means more conservation and protected land. Everyone wins.

brian
04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I am one of these new urban hunters that comes from an outdoor non/ opposed to hunting background. Having more people from varying backgrounds buying rifles and getting into the bush is only good for us.

2slow
04-13-2013, 02:47 PM
I see this as only a good thing. A few years back you would drive by hunting camps and most people you saw were on the other side of 40, now you see a lot of younger people out in the woods. If you don't replace the aging hunters with the younger generations your hunting opportunities will end up being closed to you. It is also good for the firearms rights battle. More younger people getting on board with hunting will also transfer over to more voices at voting time against those that want to take our tools away from us.

Call of the Wild
04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
I would encourage everyone to buy a copy of this paper, as a signal to the mainstream media, telling our side of the story sells must as any papers as berating hunters. Side note.......I wonder if that girl is gonna have any trouble finding a hunting partner.

True but lets not forget to write a positive comment to the author and Vancouver Sun to show our support for such published article for once. From the comments at the bottom of the article in question I suspect Vancouver Sun will receive a load of feedback from angry people.

dak0ta
04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
I see this as only a good thing. A few years back you would drive by hunting camps and most people you saw were on the other side of 40, now you see a lot of younger people out in the woods. If you don't replace the aging hunters with the younger generations your hunting opportunities will end up being closed to you. It is also good for the firearms rights battle. More younger people getting on board with hunting will also transfer over to more voices at voting time against those that want to take our tools away from us.

well this brings up another social phenomenon which is that we aren't teaching our kids and grandkids to hunt and shoot anymore because we ain't getting married and producing children to carry on our tradition. Everybody go make some future hunters tonight. ;)

argyle1
04-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm curious as to what % of HBC members are city dwellers when they aren't hunting, keeping in mind that all mainland west of Hope, and most of Vancouver Island is city, as are Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops, Prince George--I suspect that most of the hunters in BC live in a city--it's a good thing that living in a city doesn't necessarily make one a "city slicker" any more than living in Endako makes one a "hillbilly"

My point is that the hunting fraternity shouldn't care where it's members live, and should do everything to recruit and encoudage new members

604redneck
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
well this brings up another social phenomenon which is that we aren't teaching our kids and grandkids to hunt and shoot anymore because we ain't getting married and producing children to carry on our tradition. Everybody go make some future hunters tonight. ;)
hahaha im gonna give it my best shot

gutpile
04-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I laugh at how the 22 year-old filmmaker Nagata says industrial meat is unethical
and basically is gross.
She says game meat taste better than beef , i would have to disagree with her unless
you shoot a young animal. overall i think beef taste a lot better then game meat.
anyhow that article put us hunters in a positive spotlight and can only help protect
our sport and hopefully bring in new hunters.

Ubertuber
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Good article, nice to read. Sure are some whack jobs commenting at the bottom of the page.

GoatGuy
04-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Need to support the journalist on this one - sun isn't exactly hunter friendly and there will be plenty of opposition. Make sure you put in your .02

knockturnal
04-13-2013, 05:42 PM
There's a pretty good podcast at the end of the article as well.

2slow
04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
I laugh at how the 22 year-old filmmaker Nagata says industrial meat is unethical
and basically is gross.
She says game meat taste better than beef , i would have to disagree with her unless
you shoot a young animal. overall i think beef taste a lot better then game meat.
anyhow that article put us hunters in a positive spotlight and can only help protect

I have to disagree, I would take a white tail rib steak over a beef steak any day.

Timbow
04-13-2013, 07:44 PM
and basically is gross.

Well I guess you can fill your boots with all the beef left on the shelves this hunting season.

Cheers

Cheers

Iron Glove
04-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Were in Hope all day looking at a retirement spot for us and as we pulled out of the gas station the wife hops in the car with a coffee and today's Sun. I laughed and asked why she was buying what was basically yesterday's news and she said "There's an article on urban hunters that I want to read."
Had to drive all the way home before I could read it and WOW, a positive article on hunting - well done. As others have already said, the "ethical meat" angle has really come to fore recently and it's possibly the biggest influence on hunter enrollment recently. Probably a better influence than hanging a gun rack in the truck.
:wink:
Took a "make your own sausage" course at Save On Meats recently and it was suprising the number of attendees who were planning on getting into hunting for that exact reason. Most of the attendees were Urbanites, not your usual hunting types.

aggiehunter
04-13-2013, 08:56 PM
it's awesome man...just look at Joe Rogan....but I wonder how the "urban hunter" is gonna make out when he can't make his way out of the city.......

pmj
04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
This is a great article for this part of the country, especially having front page. Dylan Eyers and Eat Wild has created lots of positive press in the past on hunting here in the Vancouver area. He has found a nich market that is helping all of us to be more part of the "norm". The way Eat Wild does its thing helps bring in these new hunters. You can't just go down town and ask who wants to go to the range? It also gives these folks new to the sport a well grounded base to justify to their anti hunting friends why they have become hunters. Part of being in this sport is being able to talk to others (antis) about what we do. Many of us started as hunters then moved on to the shooting sports. I am sure this will be a trend with these hunters also. I would never get this positive press coverage for my week long deer hunting trip to the interior of BC every fall.

The media was trying to drag the discussion into the controversy of trophy hunting. Dylan does not trophy hunt so he was not going to spend his time in the news arguing about it. Trophy hunters can always do their own news release and talk to the media about their sport.
Here is Eat Wild video. My friend Larri is the first to speak. He is an excellent outdoors man and knowledgeable in science of the outdoors. He hunted for sheep in the early 70s and has harvested a deer every year since he was 12. He was my high school teacher. It was because of him I got to bring my 30-06 to school and keep it in my locker:cool:. We were taking off after school on a Friday for the Outdoor Club hunting trip :lol:.
Eat Wild http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JErDIzPf1y0&feature=plcp

Hunt-4-Life
04-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Reading something like that in the Sun is like a breath of fresh air (minus the jab there about "trophy hunting", huge step in the right direction though)

gutpile
04-14-2013, 02:12 AM
just think we just got too full pages of free advertising for our hobby
we couldn't do better then that ! :-D

redneckjoe
04-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Americans have been publishing news articles on locavore hunters and urban hunters for at least 3 years now...

They even got an identity for their own group: "adult-onset hunters".

Beachcomber
04-14-2013, 03:20 AM
Interesting to see mention of Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay in this thread. Hunting here in the UK is often described as 'the new golf' as pheasant shoots etc are seen as networking opportunities for City bankers. Unfortunately the only people who can afford to do this here are City bankers. So despite shooting's growing popularity it is mainly doing so at the higher end of the economic spectrum. Glad to see more new hunters from all walks of life taking up the sport back home. It is an opportunity most people in most places will not have.

2tins
04-14-2013, 04:10 AM
I tried on a pair of tight jeans in a camo pattern with a real tree cardigan the other day. That's what I'm talk'n about.

2tins
04-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Not really.

hunter1947
04-14-2013, 04:29 AM
More hunters in the woods the chances of hunting accidents go up its a no brainier the more vehicles on the road the more accidents the one thing that will help in the long run is for new recruitment getting into hunting is to hunt with an experienced hunter that has lots of years hunting field experience doing this they learn more about safety on what not to do and the right way to do things....

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
This is a great article for this part of the country, especially having front page. Dylan Eyers and Eat Wild has created lots of positive press in the past on hunting here in the Vancouver area. He has found a nich market that is helping all of us to be more part of the "norm". The way Eat Wild does its thing helps bring in these new hunters. You can't just go down town and ask who wants to go to the range? It also gives these folks new to the sport a well grounded base to justify to their anti hunting friends why they have become hunters. Part of being in this sport is being able to talk to others (antis) about what we do. Many of us started as hunters then moved on to the shooting sports. I am sure this will be a trend with these hunters also. I would never get this positive press coverage for my week long deer hunting trip to the interior of BC every fall.

The media was trying to drag the discussion into the controversy of trophy hunting. Dylan does not trophy hunt so he was not going to spend his time in the news arguing about it. Trophy hunters can always do their own news release and talk to the media about their sport.
Here is Eat Wild video. My friend Larri is the first to speak. He is an excellent outdoors man and knowledgeable in science of the outdoors. He hunted for sheep in the early 70s and has harvested a deer every year since he was 12. He was my high school teacher. It was because of him I got to bring my 30-06 to school and keep it in my locker:cool:. We were taking off after school on a Friday for the Outdoor Club hunting trip :lol:.
Eat Wild http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JErDIzPf1y0&feature=plcp

Larry's a champion for hunters and wildlife and it's clear his dedication and work has created more champions like yourself, Paul. We need more guys like Larry and Paul (and many others out there) who are articuate and well organized and stand up for hunters' rights when it's needed most.
Well done!

SSS

riflebuilder
04-14-2013, 07:17 AM
I think getting more urban hunter out there can do nothing but good for Hunting

digger dogger
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM
That was one of the best articles i've read about hunting.
I got my core in jr highschool, it would be nice to see students, having A core course an option in grade 11-12, or even grade 9-10

argyle1
04-14-2013, 07:31 AM
and basically is gross.
I'll take moosemeat or whitetail over beef everytime ,as long as it has been well looked after--how the game is handled after it's shot is the key

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Need to support the journalist on this one - sun isn't exactly hunter friendly and there will be plenty of opposition. Make sure you put in your .02

Supportive letter sent.

SSS

Jhors
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
I had the pleasure,of taking a new hunter out last year. He had completed Dylan's course. I was impressed with the knowledge he had acquired there but more importantly his enthusiasim impressed me. Was had a great time and I have gained a new hunting partner who,is coming along again this year. If Eatwild is bringing people like this to enjoy our passion I support them one hundred percent!

Kudu
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Did my bit!

steel_ram
04-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm often surprised how many urban "hipsters", can put on that other suit and show some incredible field craft. Not all successful, academically educated people are wimps, as not all red-neck wannabe's are "tough" guys. I'd say it's a growing trend.

GrouseRiver
04-14-2013, 09:07 AM
This article is a positive thing for our sport and it's future, I would second the above comment to support it with a letter to the editor. Too often hunters view themselves as "victims" and this has come about through negative press and the successful attempts of lobbying organizations and the media to segregate us into in-fighting factions.

As I'm not sure if it will actually see print - and to avoid repeating myself, here is what was sent in to the editor.

"Congratulations to the Province for publishing the truth about an activity that is too often viewed in a negative light.

In response to both the article and the online commentary that it has generated…Whether someone chooses to eat meat or not misses the point. When I eat meat I want it to come from a known source and I choose to take the most direct path to that knowledge by hunting it myself. Far from lessening my concern for wild creatures, hunting makes me more aware of, and concerned for, all living things. It has brought about an enhanced understanding and perspective of the intricacies of nature and a reverence for wildlife and the habitat that supports it.

For those who like to point to “science” then you will be happy to know that hunting in BC and throughout Canada and the US is a scientifically managed activity that sustains balance through the ongoing study of populations, harvest statistics, and habitat protection. Hunters were the first, and remain the primary, voice of conservation in North America. The irrefutable evidence is that hunters do more to promote the preservation of wild creatures and the habitat they require than any other group. This remains true whether your measurement is done in time, dollars, or scientific contribution. The truth is whether you are a vegan or vegetarian, whether you eat meat rarely or every day, the real science says this: a land that is unfit for wildlife is a land that is unfit for people. The choice to hunt or not is yours and yours alone. To ignore the massive positive contribution that hunting makes to our collective ability to preserve and protect the natural beauty and sustainability of this province we call home, would be sheer ignorance."

itsy bitsy xj
04-14-2013, 09:41 AM
my thoughts are the more the better

keoke
04-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Time for horn rimmed rifle scopes, skinny cammo, and waxed mustaches.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Good letter Glen. May want to change the "Province" to the "Sun". Province, with Mark Humes, has a reputation for being more hunter friendly than the Sun with Larry Pynn.

SSS

dak0ta
04-14-2013, 11:10 AM
This is a great conversation topic for a first date with a city girl: ''Did you see the front page of the Sun this weekend?''.. '''Yup!''.. [gauge opinion and interest on hunting topic]... a) if interested offer to introduce the sport and get a convert! :) If all goes well, don't mess up and put a ring on her finger and make future hunters ;)

aggiehunter
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
not sure if it's correct that most of the hunters come from the city...just about everyone in our small town hunts something...I can't say that about the folks I know from Van...what I have noticed is the young guys that come to hunt up here are very...and I say VERY...ingenious...they all have jobs that entail technical stuff and they spare nothing when it comes to coming up with cool stuff to make life in the bush a little easier...30 year old whiz kids I call em..

MattW
04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I think it's a great article for hunting except for the bit about trophy hunting but overall it's positive and if it gets more people hunting that's great. As far as calling them hipsters or city slickers, I think they're coming to the woods and the sport with good intentions and purpose. It's a bit bittersweet for me though because besides being a hunter I am a farmer and the article kind of slags the food at the store and the ethics of farming. Canadian agriculture across the board puts a lot of effort into animal health and welfare and sustainable farming practices.

horshur
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I am glad to see some urban folk coming to there senses...

blackbart
04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
We are all predators. I like it that the media is starting to get that.

Good on the Sun for publishing the article.

Good on the young urbanites for taking control of their future.

geoskier
04-15-2013, 02:30 PM
First thing that came to mind when I saw this article was somehow sitting in a blind with an americano misto and a hunter s thompson novel.

But ya, good for anyone that gets into hunting. It is a great sport (lifestyle). I just hope everyone out there gets a radio for the logging roads and keeps the single speed bike to the pavement!

Moe.JKU
04-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I saw this as well and thought that it might be a good thing that it is going to be more accepted. More money brought into hunting through tags, and gear sales will go up, local shops will sell more stuff. However I also think that they need to be educated in the outdoors or accidents will happen. hopefully wildlife recovery programs will receive some funding and the problems that we face will have more viewers now to correct it at a government level as well. like the wolves etc etc. good publicity imo.

Phreddy
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Not really Tyty. Not if it's done properly. I keep getting told by folks taking my course that have already taken the PAL, that I'm a real ******* on making sure that firearm safety is well learned and have required some folks to redo the practical until they get it right. I also add a few questions in the practical so that they can challenge the PAL, and the PAL examiners tell me that it's a pleasure to examine folks I've sent to them because they have obviously worked damn hard to pass. Can't speak for other instructor/examiners, but the way I look at it is that many of these folks are going to be hunting in the same areas I'm going to be in and I'm allergic to bullets. Apparently I'd break out in holes if one of them didn't know what he/she was doing. I've found women and kids the best to work with because they haven't had the chance to develop any bad habits yet and aren't trying to prove a point. They just want to learn to be safe hunters.
Hahahaha, Ha! Are you kidding me? There is no cure for stupid and both the core and FAC course are pretty much designed a drunken monkey can pass. More hunters means more money to the government, plain and simple.

buck nash
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Thought it was a really good article. I didn't like the distinction they made between meat and trophy hunting but apart from that it was good press. The thing I like best is it featured the people that we've stolen from the ranks of those who would protest us. I love that the chick discribed herself as a recovering vegitarian. I've been using that same term to discribe my wife since she gave up the tofu 15years ago.

.330 Dakota
04-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I guess the with the negative comment on trophy hunters they never stopped to think that the average meat hunter will kill waaay more game then the average trophy hunter. I have shot many deer during my lifetime, however since moving to BC 7 years ago, and seeing literally hundreds of deer here, I havent shot one yet, looking for that booner.
So the negative stuff on trophy hunters is total BS. Also I have had 3 griz tags in 7 years,,seen about a dozen griz while hunting them, havent shot one yet,,,waiting for Mr Big. Maybe he will come along maybe not, but I wont settle for a small one. So I might never kill one,,,thats a trophy hunter

blindcast
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Well said. Couldn't agree with that more.

Other thing that bothers me about the article is the term "urban hunter" because it lumps me and most of my friends into a fad. I've been hunting slightly better than half a century and throughout that time I've lived in the burgs and 'burbs of Canada's cities, including in the high-rises of some of Canada's biggest cities. So did most of the people I hunted with and there have been some mighty fine hunters among them. So I, we and I suspect the majority of the hunters in this forum are by definition "urban hunter." And not one of us subscribes to or fits the profile of the characterization laid out in the article.

pete_k
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I kind of disagree with the premise on why they're hunting, because they make eating 'organic meat' as 'hip', but it's just the way we 'regular, non-hip' guys and girls have been harvesting food for years. More hunters means less opportunity and game for those of us that truly enjoy the hunt, not just as a passing fad. On the flip side, they may help make hunting more mainstream and accepted again. Thoughts?

Passing fad or no. And for whatever reason, organic meat or hunting experience.
It would be good for more people to experience hunting. From field to plate.

GoatGuy
04-17-2013, 09:41 PM
More people hunting, especially if they come from the LM, the better.

It's the epicenter of the anti - the more diverse our pro hunting side is the better.

Nekhani
04-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Great Article! Move over Larry Pynn! We now have a Writer who is off to a good start and tells it like it is with his feet on the Ground! Be sure to support the Writer, Randy Shore on this article! A huge step in the right direction to support and maintain our Hunting Privileges and Wildlife management. Good stuff and hopefully there is more coming!

sawmill
04-18-2013, 08:38 AM
I object to the term "Ethical Killing"That was rather pointless.

Husky7mm
04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Ethical+killing+urban+hunters+looking+sustainable+ ethical+ways/8237288/story.html

I came across the article this morning. I kind of disagree with the premise on why they're hunting, because they make eating 'organic meat' as 'hip', but it's just the way we 'regular, non-hip' guys and girls have been harvesting food for years. More hunters means less opportunity and game for those of us that truly enjoy the hunt, not just as a passing fad. On the flip side, they may help make hunting more mainstream and accepted again. Thoughts? I also hope that the hunting courses and firearm courses weed out the non-responsible individuals so we don't have accidents in the bush.

If some folks are punching there tags on urban deer and that should leave MORE deer out in the bush for those that want the full "hunting" experience.
To reconnect the city hip folks to the fact that it is good healthy organic meat is a step in the right direction IMO. Much better than net these deer and having to cull them. Free management..... Also some folks just hunt for meat, this would give a better distrubution of hunting pressure.

Amphibious
04-18-2013, 09:18 AM
More people hunting for the right reasons. sounds good to me.

ignorant Rednecks and Jacked-up trucks are a passing fad. hopefully.

sawmill
04-18-2013, 10:38 AM
If some folks are punching there tags on urban deer and that should leave MORE deer out in the bush for those that want the full "hunting" experience.
To reconnect the city hip folks to the fact that it is good healthy organic meat is a step in the right direction IMO. Much better than net these deer and having to cull them. Free management..... Also some folks just hunt for meat, this would give a better distrubution of hunting pressure.
There is no urban deer hunting here.Can you imagine a bunch of guys shooting deer in town?C`mon.Netting and boltgunning are the only safe way to get rid of them.And no town archery either.Bunch of deer running around with arrows sticking out of them,that looks real good for us.

Mr. Dean
04-18-2013, 11:06 AM
This is good and I for one hope that this trend continues.

And it frankly matters little to me 'why' someone wants to take up hunting - New and Naive go hand in hand but seasoned shooters know that once you're in, you'll grow to understand and learn the other aspects to why people hunt the way they do. You gotta start somewhere!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Readers are fired up.............

http://digital.vancouversun.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

SSS

GoatGuy
04-22-2013, 10:17 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/Ethics+hunting+fire+readers/8275742/story.html

Re: The new urban hunters, April 13
When I read the front page of the newspaper I thought we were mistakenly delivered The Prince George Citizen. The front page image of a hunter, was not that of the generally portrayed redneck, middle aged, camo-clad "trophy hunter," but of a young woman from the city.
Journalist Randy Shore, through the thoughts of new hunters, Kesia Nagata, Ben Rogers and Leung Man, gets to the essence of why humans hunt: an inherent desire to harvest one's food at a pure and most honest level.
As Ms. Nagata explains, beyond her desire to get away from "industrial meat" and get her own organic animal protein, a part of her brain was switched on when stalking game. This is a natural, predatory human trait that can be sparked when exposed to hunting in the proper manner.
In so many previous articles written on hunting in The Vancouver Sun there was seemingly an underlying message hunting was wrong, or it was trivialized as a "sport."
Hunting is not experienced as a "sport" but is something much deeper within the human psyche.
Daniel W. Scarr Delta

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Ethics+hunting+fire+readers/8275742/story.html#ixzz2RDItMfcL

Islander
04-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Some of Kai Nagata and his friends have contacted me via email and a bunch of them, their wives, girlfriends and dogs will be attending the TBBC 3D shoot in Rock Creek on the May long weekend. I think its great. I'll teach them anything I can about archery and bowhunting. Should be an interesting weekend

sawmill
04-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I am middle aged,but I wear jeans when I hunt.I ain`t a "trophy hunter"I just ate some beauty loin chops from a lovely 4 point buck I got last fall.I`m all about the meat and I`m all about telling new hunters that too.Clean kills with well trained hunters and sighted in rifles.Skinning and butchering your own food is priceless.You get a real sense of "The Way".We didn`t get this far up the ladder by stalking lettuce.It`s good to see people reckognise that and get back to the roots.