PDA

View Full Version : Spotting scope under $1000

onpoint
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm looking for input, reviews, advice on purchasing my first spotter including pros and cons of power and objective size options. Budget is relatively fixed around $1000. And yes I've read countless posts, reviews, etc. saying save for the better Euro glass, but that just ain't gonna happen in the next few years. As it stands right now I'm leaning towards one of the Leupolds (Kenai HD or Golden Ring) or a Vortex (Razor in the smaller power/objectives or Viper). I am certainly open to other brands like Kowa but have zero experience with the other brands. I have Leupy bins (Mojave's) and a buddy has Vortex bins that I like. This will be a sheep scope first, elk and everything else second.

bearhunter338-06
04-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I am really impressed with the Vortex line of optics. I myself have the Vortex Nomad and at $400 it is the best bang for the buck.

MacMtnHunter
04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
I am really impressed with the Vortex line of optics. I myself have the Vortex Nomad and at $400 it is the best bang for the buck.

Vortex Viper is probably your best option for under 1000... probably could get into an 80mm objective for that price too. The Leupolds are nice but the viper is better. Kowa are big bucks and probably out of your budget range.

onpoint
04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Vortex Viper is probably your best option for under 1000... probably could get into an 80mm objective for that price too. The Leupolds are nice but the viper is better. Kowa are big bucks and probably out of your budget range.

VantagePoint has a Kowa 66m objective for just over a grand and I have some flexibility to go slightly over the $1K mark. I understand the 80+ mm objectives will gather more light, etc. but I'm interested to hear just HOW practically noticeable this difference is and in how many hunting situations is the larger objective crucial?

bigneily
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Has anyone looked through a meopta spotter ? I never have but was blown away by there bino's, Could be in the price range and if the quality is like the bin's they should be sweet.

bigneily
04-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Just got onto a link on Meopta spotters, They are over the grand mark and then some but i would still like too have a lookee anyway. Curious as to what brand and model you decide to buy..Neil

BiG Boar
04-12-2013, 12:20 PM
The bigger objective can be looked at in two ways.

Pros: gathers a touch more light, barely noticeable to the human eye. But it doesn't actually weigh that much more than the the 60.

Cons: it is heavier, doesn't make a huge world of difference really, takes more space.

I'd find out what the percentage is, and go from there. It is probably something like gathers 5% more light.

albravo2
04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I just bought a Vortex 16-48x65. Even if I didn't like the optics it is really, really hard to argue with their warranty. Other manufacturers cover lots of different types of damage but the fact that Vortex covers all perils (except loss/theft) was the biggest factor for me. Its like having an insurance policy for as long as you own the scope.

I also love the optics. Very sweet scope. I recommend the straight version but I think that is well covered in other threads.

pappy
04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I wasted my money on the vortex nomad 20-60 spotter, It will be given to my son as soon as I can buy a good spotter. I have sent it in on warranty for water getting into the objective, they fixed that but they never could fix the major lack of focus when zoomed over 40 power. I suggest staying away from the cheap vortex stuff as it really is junk, their higher priced stuff is a little better. I have bought two leupold's since I had bad luck with cheap vortex, haven't had a problem yet.

BCBRAD
04-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Under grand, look at Vortex 15x45 non HD with a high country tripod

Ry151
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
i have the bushnell elite 15-45 with a vortex high country bipod. cost together was about $600. my decisson was focoused on size and weight. Like it so far, vary clear and focuses nice, only con so far is the eye piece is small and no rest for around your eye like on some of the nicer ones ive used. at the end of the day im happy with it.

onpoint
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
So BB do you use a 60-65mm objective spotter then? I read a post on another forum by a sheep guide saying both he and many of his guiding buddies swear by the Golden Ring Leupold 12-40x60 HD spotter. It's over budget I know but have read great things about the scope numerous times. Anyone have first hand experience with one?

1/2 slam
04-12-2013, 03:04 PM
So BB do you use a 60-65mm objective spotter then? I read a post on another forum by a sheep guide saying both he and many of his guiding buddies swear by the Golden Ring Leupold 12-40x60 HD spotter. It's over budget I know but have read great things about the scope numerous times. Anyone have first hand experience with one?

A most excellant scope for the money.

BiG Boar
04-12-2013, 03:28 PM

I have an 80 mm. It was used and the price was right.

But I'd go either way. Both have advantages.

I personally have a hate on for vortex, just because they are made in China. And all the new guys think they are just soooo awesome.

To me my spotting scope is more important than my rifle. I can shoot a $200 Lee Enfield 200 yards and kill game. But first I have to find them. If you can sell something and get around $1600 you should be able to buy a used Swarovski HD like I did out of the US. I shoot my rifle 4-5 shots a year at game. I use my Swarovski for hundreds of hours a year.

I have used that Leupold scope and I like it.

Just think of it as a 20 year commitment as the technology on them isn't really going to change that much in 20 years.

Brew
04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Look at the meopta line of scopes. Beauty glass. I was going to get one but found a bargain on floor model zeiss that I couldn't pass up.
try some sites like eagleoptics.com, I got my demo model zeiss for 1500$. They sometimes have other demos on for cheap as well. My scope came in all proper boxing and didn't even look touched. I was really impressed.

pescado
04-12-2013, 04:31 PM
If you can come up with the cash for the Kowa 600 series I would go that way. If cash is tight take a look at the Pentax 65mm and do some research on which eyepiece would work for you. Nikon field scope iii is another good option. Research the bird watchers forums, lots of info. The Kowa prominar 600 series is a great scope. Good luck

Everett
04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I have one of these picked it up a demo model for $450 its a real nice scope for the money
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62210

GoatGuy
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Buy leupold good ring if you can afford it. Best in between spotter.

do not buy bushnell

mwalter
04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Pentax pf65 Ed. Compact, clear, great after purchase service and in your budget. Good luck

Badlands62
04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I just bought the Vortex Viper HD, awesome glass for the price. Spoke with the Vortex Canada reps at the sportsman show in Abbotsford, he was with Sworovski for 31 years, Leica for 9 and finally Vortex. Very knowledgeable about glass. Great warranty as well.

decker9
04-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Pentax pf65 Ed. Compact, clear, great after purchase service and in your budget. Good luck

X2, Just picked up one of these second hand, but mint shape. I love it!! compact/light weight, and very clear. also lots of difrent eye pieces you can get, reasonable priced to!

Jack Russell
04-13-2013, 06:25 AM

Personally own this scope (not the HD version) and am very happy with it. No complaints at all.

onpoint
04-13-2013, 07:13 AM

Good tip, I'll check this scope out for sure.

onpoint
04-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Personally own this scope (not the HD version) and am very happy with it. No complaints at all.

JR, have you had a chance to compare it against any of the other scopes mentioned on this thread?

coquitlam
04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/vortex/vortex-nomad-20-60x60-angled-spotting-scope

There you go. best deal around. I just bought one and got it sent to my box across the line. I got free shipping and I told the canada customs officer what I had and had the paper work . So for $240 canadian at my door I got the Vortex Nomad

onpoint
04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the input to all who posted. Now it's time to go test some of the final options.

Jack Russell
04-14-2013, 09:49 PM
JR, have you had a chance to compare it against any of the other scopes mentioned on this thread?

Of quality, I can only say I've looked through a Swarovski 80mm spotting scope. I couldn't say I liked it. I found it hazy and "tinted".

For the price of a Bushnell spacemaster, you couldn't go wrong with them - they're actually pretty good!

I also like Kraft dinner....

Superdeuce
04-27-2013, 10:24 AM
If you are backpacking it, I would get the smaller objective for sure. If you want ultralight, check out the Nikon ED50 too at about half of your budget. They have a cult like following on the birder forums so you know the glass is good.

You could put the savings aside to one day add a big objective euro for different application then you have both ends of the spectrum covered. The Leupy is maybe a good compromise if you were to only have one though.

Wade
04-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I bought a 15-45x leupold gold ring compact and its bin great.

r106
04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I bought a Vortex Viper but have only taken it out once. nice and clear at 60X.

For those people recommending the Nomad. Have you guy's tried focusing on anything past 40X? It's horrible

Darksith
04-27-2013, 11:36 AM
hes talking about spending 1k...the nomad is 250...you will get what you pay for, don't matter if its votex, bushnell or any other brand. Cheap shit is just that, don't be fooled.

1/2 slam
04-27-2013, 06:51 PM
hes talking about spending 1k...the nomad is 250...you will get what you pay for, don't matter if its votex, bushnell or any other brand. Cheap shit is just that, don't be fooled.

Very very true