PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch Metcalf/Sheeo pack

spear
04-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Well just had my new MR metcalf out for its maiden voyage.
I packed the bag with everything I am carrying for a 10 day stone sheep hunt, which includes the following:

Mec Merlin Sleeping bag
Klymit Static V sleeping pad
MSR hubba hubba tent
Jetboil Flash stove
1 small gas/fuel cannister
snow peak titanium spork
12lbs of misc food
katadyn vario water filter
6 pairs of socks, 4 liners, 2 wool
2 pairs of merino boxers
Patagonia capilene 2 long underwear
Sitka traverse shirt
kuiu guide jacket
kuiu superdown hoody
sitka shooter gloves
Arcteryx alpha rain pants
Sitka Stormfront jacket
first aid kit
kill kit (havalon piranta wth 12 spare blades, 100' paracord, 2 alaskan game bags, opinel carbon backup knife)
18 rounds of ammunition
headlamp
flashlight
space blanket
2 lighters
pac rain cover
1 roll tp, small package of wet wipes, sunscreen, toothpaste tooth brush, smal sheet of moleskin
rangefinder
1L nalgene

My total pack weight was right around 48 lbs
Think my pack should be right around 62lbs once I split some gear with my partner

Still to pack:
Salt 3-4 lbs
junk food 2lbs??
SPOT
Hydration bladder 4.4 lbs full
Rifle 6 1/2 pounds
spotting scope and tripod unsure of total weight

I was very impressed with how light the metcalf was compared to my previous MR packs, a 6500 and crew cab. The pack carried extremely well, I did 8.5km up a local hill and had no shifting of weight or gear at all. The pack is deceiving in how much it can carry, I would estimate I have 10% able to expand with the pack already loaded and nothing strapped to the outside. Having the side zip on the Metcalf made accesing any gear inside a lot easier than the 6500. I did buy a ripzip pocket from MR and i use it to carry my rain gear.

Just my $.02 but I think this is by far the best pack MR has to offer, they have done a phenemonal job of bridging the gap between a day pack and expedition size pack.

ANyone with suggestions on something else I should pack? Besides GOLDBOND of course :)

stuffrider147
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Lets see some pics :-D

kennyj
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Sounds like you're ready. Thats a nice light set up. Will you empty out your camp, then hunt with the same pack? How does it seem as a hunting pack?
kenny

ElectricDyck
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Sounds like you are geared up. I'm curious of your opinion of the pack with 80lbs plus in it, especially with meat tucked in behind and camp out back. I thought about that pack for a while before recently getting a 6500. I'd like to save the 2lbs and the price difference just not sure about the heavy load haulin abilities....

bigwhiteys
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
You probably only need 1-1.5 lbs of salt unless you are doing a full mount.

lose the flashlight - your headlamp will work fine - the batteries last forever. If it's a backup... then that's your own call.

18 rounds is lots. I usually take 9 + 3 in my clip. 12 rounds total, that could easily be 9.

You're good to go but the above would help you shave a little weight.

ElectricDyck
04-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Hydro twine over para cord might will save space, 100' feet is a fist full.

Amphibious
04-11-2013, 06:59 PM
A note on lighters. Depending on how they're packed the gas valve lever can easily get depressed and after a long day hiking you get the lovely surprise of a plastic spark maker. Ask me how I know.... the match packets they hand out for free in bars, wrapped individually in saran wrap, weight nothing, and can be tucked at random around your person and pack. not familiar with your stove, but most have built in igniters, so the matches/lighters are for redundancy/backup anyways?

longstonec
04-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I was going to ask why 18 rounds? not 20? not 17? I like to carry lots myself.

I have a Havalon and tend to only use 1 blade per deer. I am not sure it that is usual usage or not. You could loose 6 blades. or even spread them around. tape one to a lighter that always lives in your pocket so you always have a lighter and sorta knife.

make your own first aid kit? or customize store bought ones? some of them have a fair bit of useless crap in them

A few yards of spectra fishing line would be handy for setting up a siltarp in a pinch. 100# test ( along with paracord)

Touque/hat

Scotch

Wild Images
04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Load your pack with everything for the trip, now add 30- 40 lbs of meat, a cape and a set of horns
It will suck if you don't have the room WHEN you are successful on your hunt. We both had J 107 packs on the last
rams we took, coming off the hill you couldn't have fit a deck of cards in either pack.
This year it's a 7800 inch Barney for me, in bad weather I could almost sleep in it :-D

bcsteve
04-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Lets see some pics :-D

Pics for sure.

North
04-12-2013, 05:02 AM
Looks like a good list. Seems light on the food but maybe I eat more. I aim for food with at least 100 calories per ounce which usually means about 2 lbs per day or I lose too much weight and feel weak. Always a fine line. Don't want to pack in too much but mentally and physically challenging to hunt through the end of your hunt hard if you are hungry.

I would suggest a small para tarp instead of the space blanket. Not sure if you are setting up a base camp or travelling with all your gear but I like to hike with my thermarest, sleeping back and small tarp everyday as you can spike out away from camp and hunt more effectively as you don't have to worry about getting back to your tent.

Also- hiking poles! When you are packing out your Stone you will know why and appreciate these on the downhills. Also helpful for your tarp bivy. I use Black Diamond Elliptical ones as tend to be strong.

spear
04-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Some good tips guys thanks.
As far as the ammo goes, I figured 4 loaded, 4 in a buttstock holder, 10 in pack. My hunting partner and I both shoot 300wsm, so we're planning on packing less, he would prob do the same with loading his rifle and small holder.
Electric - I would think the pack would perform as well as all the NICE frames have with heavy load hauling, both my crew cab and 6500 handled 90lbs + with ease

I do plan to empty out the pack and then hunt with it daily

I'll get some pics asap

kayjayess
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Looks like a good list. Couple of quick questions - is one canister of fuel for the jetboil adequate? I am an MSR guy so don't know the system. Seems a bit light - so just asking. Also, I went on a 2 week Stone hunt last year with 2 rolls of a.. wipe. Thank god my partner didn't scrimp. I had 3 rolls the previous year and it was enough. Anyway, you sounds like you are well versed in your needs out on the mountain but 1 roll for 10 days would not hold up for me. I know there are ways around it in the bush but the cleanliness is paramount for me when putting in a hard day on the mountain.

As an aside I am moving down to Vic and will be training this summer with the heavy pack. If you are interested in putting some weight on your back and heading out for a hike be sure to PM me. I am always looking for someone to head out for a hike with.

Good luck with your planning

kayjayess
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
One thing missing unless I missed it as something to preserve the memory. IMHO. A camera is almost important as a sleeping bag or binos. Almost ;-)

Cheap, light, and a necessity

ianwuzhere
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Your, dont forget the camera, and optics..
you could prolly lighten up all the paracute cord and some bullets.
i have some arcteryx rain pants- love them- articulation is great for knees.
how do u like the sitka storm front jacket?

ElectricDyck
04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Some good tips guys thanks.
As far as the ammo goes, I figured 4 loaded, 4 in a buttstock holder, 10 in pack. My hunting partner and I both shoot 300wsm, so we're planning on packing less, he would prob do the same with loading his rifle and small holder.
Electric - I would think the pack would perform as well as all the NICE frames have with heavy load hauling, both my crew cab and 6500 handled 90lbs + with ease

I do plan to empty out the pack and then hunt with it daily

I'll get some pics asap

Ok, be sure to post up your opinion compared to your 6500 with some serious weight in it. The 6500 (my only experience with mystery ranch) is too complicated with straps and buckles and a little big for me but it sure makes 100 lbs about 1 foot in front of the other rather than enduring back pain.

longstonec
04-12-2013, 09:48 PM
I aim for one roll bum tickets a day... any more means I am in Mexico.

izakaman
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Seems like a pretty cool pack, have you had the weight farther out towards the back, wont it pull you backwards?