PDA

View Full Version : A hell of a way to treat a customer

HIGHRPM
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
My family and extended family and friends have been supporting Stillwater Sports in Ladner for over 26 years and for the most part service was spoty but ok. About a month ago my son stepped in to see if they had a certain gun (which is not that popular). Much to my sons surprise and the store owners surprise, the store had just bought out another dealer and in the inventory was the exact gun my son was looking for. My son stated he would be back when he had the funds. Today he went back to Stillwater and the owner treated him like a piece of garbage ! First he stated he never had that gun, ever, which was funny because he had given the gun to my son to check out and hold. After a long disscussion which got my son nowhere, he decided he would look at a different gun, he had money to spend and asked the owner if he could please look at a gun on his rack and the owner refused to let him look at anything, WTF !! No customer deserves to be treated like that ! My son is a 32 year old saleman not some drugged up dopehead ! I am a man of principals and treat everyone with respect and am loyal to the local companies. But this all changed today do to the ignorance of Stillwater Sports. My family and my extended family and friends will no longer support or recommend that loser in anyway shape or form. I have always told people to go see him, but never again. From this day on I will give him the type of advertising he deserves, which is not the good kind. I can only guess that my sons money was not good enough for him to spend in his store, SAD ! :evil:

rides bike to work
04-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I have had many experiences in sports stores where service sucks. It's almost a locals club mentality if they don't recognize you they treat you like dirt. I frequent both sports stores in chilliwack and would say service sucks at both. Unless your a guide buying a ton of bait every day. I even had a guy bitch at me because all I wanted was a license. His complaint was they don't make any money on them and its a waste of his time if i wasn't going to buy anything else. Well guess where I'll be buying my bullets. Any where but there.

Sofa King
04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
that's crazy.
why would he not show him a gun?
how does he expect to sell anything?

BigfishCanada
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
HIGHRPM more importantly.....who and how do we get a hold of the girl in your avatar...

itsy bitsy xj
04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
I guess they figure in Ladner there is no other local store but if your son had cash in hand thats a foolish way to run a store.

04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
That's a big problem with many hunting sporting goods stores. Until I turned 35, whenever I would walk into a gun store, it was as if I was invisible, and I would have to hound the "salesman" for the slightest assistance. Now I have less hair and more fat, and probably look a little older and wealthier, so I get ok service. Definitely a paradigm that has to change.

BRvalley
04-11-2013, 02:40 PM
this is probably the 7 or 8th similar bad service story I've hard about this store, and I've only been in BC 3 years...I know where i'll be avoiding

Sofa King
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
HIGHRPM more importantly.....who and how do we get a hold of the girl in your avatar...

jessica alba.
just look her up.

Fella
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Bad service is why small shops go out of business. I've had a few less than good experiences in chilliwack but for the most part both stores have been great.

Moe.JKU
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
That's a big problem with many hunting sporting goods stores. Until I turned 35, whenever I would walk into a gun store, it was as if I was invisible, and I would have to hound the "salesman" for the slightest assistance. Now I have less hair and more fat, and probably look a little older and wealthier, so I get ok service. Definitely a paradigm that has to change. I know this feeling all to well. As i'm 22 and look young I guess they don't think I have any money or something. Went into International and go ignored for a long time as I was waiting to shoulder guns. and then he wouldn't show me or look up anything other than the one he suggested. Went to reliable they showed me around and helped me out with options compared them with me, and I walked out with a beneli. Only Stillwater that I will go get is waterfowl calls as they seem to have more there than anywhere else.

Tenacious Billy
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I had the same thing happen when I was in my early twenties....went in to a local shop with a fistful of bills looking to buy a rifle. The fat old slug behind the counter hardly even looked up when he spoke....I asked for the rifle in question and his response was something to the effect of "yeah, we might have one, but it's probably in a box in the back"........he then proceeded to return to whatever mindless task he had been performing prior to me 'interrupting' him....I said "well, I guess I'll go buy it somewhere else"....he changed his tune a little, but I left and bought it elswhere.

These days you can find whatever you want from wherever you want....the internet has made customer service an absolute neccessity for mom and pop shops....it's nice to buy local, but if if the guy's a turd, take your $$$ elsewhere.

allan
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Not only do stores need to make you feel welcome, the customer should do his part too. If I walk into any store, smile, say hi and crack a joke the salesman will talk to you alot easier. Complement them first and just see what you get in return. I'm on both ends of it enough to know that good attitude will go along ways.
Ive even told grumpy customers that being nice is not hard and they should try to lighten up. If your a regular in a store or plan on going back, make sure you introduce your self. First name basis is key on getting a deal.
:)

BiG Boar
04-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Well he's on this site. Maybe you should write him a letter. Too far for me to go there and tell him.

Gateholio
04-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Tell your son to do himself a favor and call Mark at Omineca source for sports or email him at mark@nechakooutdoors.ca

If he has the gun in stock it will be in his hands in a few days or be will tell him how long it will take or suggest a suitable alternate. Likely for a better price, too.

Farmer John
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
I've spent some time on the stools at Stillwater and i've never seen anyone behind the counter mistreat a customer. There's two sides to every story.

Gunner
04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I thought the story I read here might have two sides.I've known and hunted with the owner for 20 years,and worked in the store for four years and I've never known him to treat a customer the way you described.The 45-70 that your son looked at was recorded as sold January 14th,so it wasn't "a month or so ago"that he looked at it.The store didn't buy out another store's inventory so I don't where that came from.You expect a retailer to hold a gun for almost 3 months for someone he doesn't know and who left no deposit,just says "I'll be back when I have the cash"?You don't know how many times I and every other gun salesman in the Province have heard that.You and your son will be happier shopping elsewhere I'm sure. Good luck,Gunner

adriaticum
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
It's not a requirement of life to be nice and respectful.
It just separates the successful from the losers.

Gunner
04-11-2013, 05:27 PM
It's not a requirement of life to be nice and respectful.
It just separates the successful from the losers.Respect works both ways.Did the OP phone the store to express his dipleasure or did he just decide to rant on an open forum? Gunner

ElectricDyck
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Take a trip to Agassiz and visit Kent Outdoors, they've been awesome every time I've been there.

r106
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Not saying who is right or wrong but there are 2 sides to every story.

What gun and caliber is your son looking for??

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
this is probably the 7 or 8th similar bad service story I've hard about this store, and I've only been in BC 3 years...I know where i'll be avoiding

I know the owner is grumpy, and the service isn't that great, but it has been around for 25 years at least so he must be
selling some stuff to someone! :-O

fowl language
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
i was in stillwater today getting tickets for our banquet. while i was there he or his employee served 4 other customers with diplomacy. he sold me the tickets and proceeded to put a scope on a rifle while serving more people.i didn,t see any disrespect at all. my 2 cents

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
He's not far away from the Ladner Arms, you guys need to go into his store when he's not hung over...

pukakoe
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Ladner Arms has been closed for years.

Everett
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
I have been in that store three times and 2 out 3 the service sucked the last time I just walked out so I can see were your son is coming from. The only decent service I have ever had in Vancouver at a gun store was Reliable they are 3 for 3. Tell your son to call Mark at Source for sports in Vanderhoof great people to deal with.

longstonec
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Like Farmer John, I too have spent my fair share of time in Stillwater Sports over the past 12-13 years and I have always been treated well. Most of the times I have walked into the store it has been fairly busy and I have yet to observe another customer walk out having been mistreated. Although I personally don't like to sit on the stools as I prefer more back support It has always been a great place to stand around and listen to people talk.

I have no knowledge of the store changing or not changing ownership and as such am not trying to dispute the claims the OP made in his first post. Just reflecting on the good "old time" atmosphere that was always in the store whenever I was in for a few more boxes of black cloud.

Customer service... where have you gone?

russm
04-11-2013, 07:22 PM
I personally like international, close to home friendly staff, helpful, and they have a little shop dog that occupies the girlfriend if she happens to come with me. Customer service is big for me, I spent 10 mins standing at the ammo counter of another store last week before I finally had to interrupt 2 employees from the private conversation they were having to ask if they had any 22 ammo "it's at the end" is the response one gave and " no we're out" was the response I got from the other. I then turned around and went to crappy tire. I went back the week after and bought a scope from them partly because they were the only place I could find it and I NEEDED one, also the girl I talked to on the phone was helpful and friendly and still there when I got there so I had no problem dealing with her it helped that she wasn't bad to look at either lol.

olympia
04-11-2013, 07:33 PM
the only place i can say i have had bad service is wholesale sport in langley(but thats a given) i wasnt too pleased with the biker looking guy at lever arms when i needed an sks gas tube so i never returned. International shooting in Surrey has always been good to me

604redneck
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Ive known brian a very long time and i know him and 1 of his eployees can be a little straight up which might seem borderline rude here and there but i find this very hard to believe and there must be more to the story u arent hearing about.....i think too many people in this world are just a little too easy too upset. maybe you should give him a call too see what his problem is.

Crazy_Farmer
04-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Definitely sounds like more to this story. Doesnt seem to be as cut and dry as the original post makes it out to be. Hmmmmm

It took me 6 months to find something to spend a 50$ gift card to wholesale sports. Rather deal with Brian at Stillwater

RayHill
04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
I know this feeling all to well. As i'm 22 and look young I guess they don't think I have any money or something. Went into International and go ignored for a long time as I was waiting to shoulder guns. and then he wouldn't show me or look up anything other than the one he suggested. Went to reliable they showed me around and helped me out with options compared them with me, and I walked out with a beneli. Only Stillwater that I will go get is waterfowl calls as they seem to have more there than anywhere else.

The young guys have gobs of money to buy the toys. When I was in my 20's I would drop three G's in a store without a thought. Save for two months and do it again.

If I was selling guns I would give the young guys the most attention. They don't have big bills to pay and wives to slap them for spending the bank on a new gun.

f350ps
04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
My family and extended family and friends have been supporting Stillwater Sports in Ladner for over 26 years and for the most part service was spoty but ok. About a month ago my son stepped in to see if they had a certain gun (which is not that popular). Much to my sons surprise and the store owners surprise, the store had just bought out another dealer and in the inventory was the exact gun my son was looking for. My son stated he would be back when he had the funds. Today he went back to Stillwater and the owner treated him like a piece of garbage ! First he stated he never had that gun, ever, which was funny because he had given the gun to my son to check out and hold. After a long disscussion which got my son nowhere, he decided he would look at a different gun, he had money to spend and asked the owner if he could please look at a gun on his rack and the owner refused to let him look at anything, WTF !! No customer deserves to be treated like that ! My son is a 32 year old saleman not some drugged up dopehead ! I am a man of principals and treat everyone with respect and am loyal to the local companies. But this all changed today do to the ignorance of Stillwater Sports. My family and my extended family and friends will no longer support or recommend that loser in anyway shape or form. I have always told people to go see him, but never again. From this day on I will give him the type of advertising he deserves, which is not the good kind. I can only guess that my sons money was not good enough for him to spend in his store, SAD ! :evil:
I'm not taking one side or the other but my guess this ain't the whole story and you'll be the first guy crying on the www when we all have to shop at big box stores and can't understand why all the little guys are gone. My only question is why your son ran to Daddy to about how the big bad store owner dealt with him instead of dealing with it himself at the source, after all he's 32 years old for christ sakes!! K

rides bike to work
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I dont think there is two sides to the story when it comes to retail.The customer is always right and that is the only way to run a business.When i walk into a business i want service.yes sir right away sir with a smile .And know your product and sell it to me show me the bells and whistles.If im waiting acknoledge me
"ill be right with you sir "with a smile.
If someone walks out of your store not happy you only have yourself to blame.
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT

aggiehunter
04-11-2013, 09:21 PM
don't really buy a lot of guns...but...if anyone on HBC has ever seen the show Little Britian theres a skit on there where the cop is showing of guns and a bulge is growing in his pants....I've noticed at some gun stores (Kamloops) where the dudes really think there shit don't stink because they run the gun section of a store...give it a rest boys.

trapman
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I have knowen Brian at stillwater for over 25 years ,he has always treated me with the upmost respect .I belive we aren't hearing the whole story .There is no way he would still be in buisness (26 years) if he wasn't doing something right

Fred1
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Good call.....

trapman
04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Something is very fishy here ,there seems to be a few mistruths in what you have stated ,the time line is wayout (by months ) You stated this all happend today ,but you started a thread yesterday that your son bought a gun yesterday and wanted to find info on reloading

Scuba_Dave
04-11-2013, 09:40 PM
I have knowen Brian at stillwater for over 25 years ,he has always treated me with the upmost respect .I belive we aren't hearing the whole story .There is no way he would still be in buisness (26 years) if he wasn't doing something right

Might be you have known him for 25 years and he treats YOU with the utmost respect...But I will mention what was mentioned before...Not the first time I have heard bad things about this spot, shotty service and all. Probably about the 4th time since I have got into hunting I have heard about this guy and his lack of customer service...And I have only been into hunting for just over 2 years now...Just my two cents though :)

trapman
04-11-2013, 09:51 PM
I've also heard there was a toothfairy but if i'm not there or didn't see them how can I really say what happend .All I can say the man has been in the sporting store buisness for over a quarter of a century ,that must tell you something

BlacktailStalker
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
There are a lot of shitty customers out there.

itsy bitsy xj
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
the only place i can say i have had bad service is wholesale sport in langley(but thats a given) i wasnt too pleased with the biker looking guy at lever arms when i needed an sks gas tube so i never returned. International shooting in Surrey has always been good to me

X2 on International I bought two shotguns there last year

blackbart
04-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Not to derail the orig thread, but try to put a more positive spin on things. Or at least point out the good and the bad.

I personally bought a new $3000++ rifle and scope combo late in 2012. Tried to buy it first at one store (located in Kamloops on Notre D....) Their sales folks couldn't really find the time or energy to look for what I was after and didn't seem to really care. Another outfit in Cranbrook called Mtn Man set me up and matched prices with bigger volume dealers.

Everett
04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Not to derail the orig thread, but try to put a more positive spin on things. Or at least point out the good and the bad.

I personally bought a new $3000++ rifle and scope combo late in 2012. Tried to buy it first at one store (located in Kamloops on Notre D....) Their sales folks couldn't really find the time or energy to look for what I was after and didn't seem to really care. Another outfit in Cranbrook called Mtn Man set me up and matched prices with bigger volume dealers.

Mt man is incredibly exspensive on most things but the customer service is great they never ignore potential customers most of there staff know what there talking about and if they don't they go get someone else who knows what there talking about. If they would just adjust there insane pricing they would be one of the best shops in western Canada.

RB2
04-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Haven't been there, so won't comment on the service. Any one that has not been there should not comment either. That being said there is a reason they are called RELIABLE.

*bcgold*
04-12-2013, 05:37 AM
I've been in there. Brain a great guy to deal with. I've been in alot of stores around and I would rather deal with Stillwaters for the atmosphere, knowledge.Theres got to be something more to this.

steel_ram
04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
There are a lot of shitty customers out there.

That's for sure. It use to be "the customers always right", but if that was the policy now, with so many people abusing that policy, small retailers would be gone. . . . . I guess they are.

MacMtnHunter
04-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Brutal story! Too much of an "old boys club" mentality in a lot of these smaller shops. Really pisses my wife of whenever she goes in. They treat her like she is stupid and it makes her not want to buy anything... which usually sucks because it could be something for me!

mfarrally
04-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Go to reliable gun in Van. John is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and is awesome to deal with. My two cents

MacMtnHunter
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Mt man is incredibly exspensive on most things but the customer service is great they never ignore potential customers most of there staff know what there talking about and if they don't they go get someone else who knows what there talking about. If they would just adjust there insane pricing they would be one of the best shops in western Canada.

I think you meant to say "Mountain Theif"? Ya that place is crazy expensive, however, I have yet to find any other place that has better priced guns. They put a large volume of the guns through which is why they can sell them at a reasonable price.

HIGHRPM
04-12-2013, 09:11 AM
To answer some. When my son looked and handled the gun , he did not have any money for a deposit nor a credit card, so he could not put a hold on it.But when he went back in with cash in his pocket, to be told the gun never existed, that's bullshit. And then to be refused to be shown anything else, that's also bullshit. A customer is a customer and they should all be treated with an equal respect, that is my point here ! The only way for us to handle this is to take our business elsewhere. My son then drove to Wholesale Sports where they were all over him giving him the service a customer deserves, and he walked out with a new gun. Poor service equalled sale lost today and any day afterwards. I don't slam the owner personally, I slam the business. Each are entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.

2slow
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I dont think there is two sides to the story when it comes to retail.The customer is always right and that is the only way to run a business.When i walk into a business i want service.yes sir right away sir with a smile .And know your product and sell it to me show me the bells and whistles.If im waiting acknoledge me
"ill be right with you sir "with a smile.
If someone walks out of your store not happy you only have yourself to blame.
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT=Bull%$%%

sawmill
04-12-2013, 09:48 AM

I walked in there with $1400 cash in my pocket and stood there like a dummy for 15 minutes while the owner was B.S`n his buddy,not selling but just ignoring me while he glanced over ,back to buddy,a laugh and on and on.I finally turned to leave and he kinda yells out "What do you want?"I pulled a wad of cash out and showed it to him."I was going to spend this here today but f@ck ya"Got his attention then but he didn`t get my business.I don`t shop there. Ever.

Sofa King
04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
^^^not bullshit at all.
that's a fact.
a business is dead without customers.
sure, we know that they aren't "factually" always correct, but they better damn well be treated good and made to believe that they are right.
i waste no time at all in a store if they are blatantly lazy or ignorant.
i have no problem spending my $$ where i feel best.

Sofa King
04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
oops. that was to the post above that one.

steel_ram
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm just curious why a gun store would refuse to show him anything else? What dialogue went on prior to that. Salesmen are well aware that here are lots of you people out there with more money (or credit) than brains and are more than happy to exploit it. Somethings obviously not being told. If your boy needs to publicly rant, maybe he should do it himself. I see you posted this on GN's as well. Where else? Childish!

sawmill
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
^^^not bullshit at all.
that's a fact.
a business is dead without customers.
sure, we know that they aren't "factually" always correct, but they better damn well be treated good and made to believe that they are right.
i waste no time at all in a store if they are blatantly lazy or ignorant.
i have no problem spending my $$ where i feel best.

You got that right.My hard earned money,I want some service.AND,I was raised to be very polite,I don`t act like a dickhead but I DO expect some repect.Like Tommy Lee Jones said "I cannot tolerate rudeness in a man"Then he beat the asshole with a branding iron.

2slow
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I have been in the customer service industry for over 30 years. There are some customers I have no problem politely telling to not darken my doorway anymore because their small handful of cash is not worth the long term headaches they create.

Kudu
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Something fishy with this tale...

Every time I have been in that shop the guys have been really friendly, when I asked about goose and duck hunting they sat me down with a map and explained the marsh to me.

When I was struggling with a shotgun (I did not even buy from them) out came the cardboard with marks drawn in, and clear and precise instructions about patterning were delivered - all free of charge and not a moan or a winge...

Sorry mate - Stillwater is good place with good people behind the counter!!!

bighornbob
04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
To answer some. When my son looked and handled the gun , he did not have any money for a deposit nor a credit card, so he could not put a hold on it.But when he went back in with cash in his pocket, to be told the gun never existed, that's bullshit. And then to be refused to be shown anything else, that's also bullshit. A customer is a customer and they should all be treated with an equal respect, that is my point here ! The only way for us to handle this is to take our business elsewhere. My son then drove to Wholesale Sports where they were all over him giving him the service a customer deserves, and he walked out with a new gun. Poor service equalled sale lost today and any day afterwards. I don't slam the owner personally, I slam the business. Each are entitled to their own opinion and this is mine.

As an outsider looking in (never been to any shop in the lower mainland), regardless of what type of business it is, I find it hard to believe that the owner or store employee refused to show him anything. I can see being overlooked or ignored but refusing means your son asked to see a gun and the person said no. For this to happen in any business, all I can think of is your son pissed off the person in some way. Are you sure your son did not start acting like a dick when the owner said the gun never existed. I have seen that before, a customer starts acting like a dick for whatever reason (justified or not) and the owner basically refuses to sell them anything. Like I said as an outsider looking in it looks very odd a owner/employee would refuse to show him anything unless he was acting like a dick.

Gateholio
04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't know if I have ever been to the store in question (Might have bought a fishing lic there one time?) but I think everyone has had their say, and anyone that wants to can go there and draw their own conclusions.