PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Moose meat for sale :)

snowhunter
04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaksouth/2013/04/11/moose-in-smithers-grocery-store-produce-section/

blindcast
04-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the moose has a collar on. What say you?

lilhoss
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Those people have no idea how lucky they are that it didn't "go wild on 'em".You can see it's ears back a few times.Very cool though.Thanx for the post.

kilometers
04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Theirs a video on my Facebook of people feedin it in the parking lot. Their so stupid it charged a couple people and everybody is so close to it. Idiots.

Slinky Pickle
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, it did not end well for the moose.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/11/bc-moose-smithers-safeway.html

squamishhunter
04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
And hunters are blamed when there are population issues.....

Caribou_lou
04-11-2013, 12:10 PM
I went down before I went on nightshift. Seen some lady throwing it some veggies. Asked her if she thought this was a safe place for this moose to be. Her reply was it was hungry and it needs good food. I said its covered in ticks and neesd a bullet! The last thing this moose needs is you harassing it. Then I pointed to a child that was watching and asked her if she thought she was setting a good example for that kid?? She had enough of me and left.

Might I add that CO's were notified but did not attend until the moose was in Safeway. That is pathetic if you ask me. They should have been down there giving out fines like Halloween candy to these idiots. Then maybe they might think twice about harassing and feeding wildlife.

ianwuzhere
04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
crappy to hear it had ticks real bad- i wonder if thats any indication of the upcoming spring for the other moose? has anyone seen any other moose close up? i saw one today in PG but was too far away to notice any ticks but ill keep my eye open if i do get close enuf to any.

warnniklz
04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Seen one near Houston today.. looking pretty healthy

Mr. Dean
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I went down before I went on nightshift. Seen some lady throwing it some veggies. Asked her if she thought this was a safe place for this moose to be. Her reply was it was hungry and it needs good food. I said its covered in ticks and neesd a bullet! The last thing this moose needs is you harassing it. Then I pointed to a child that was watching and asked her if she thought she was setting a good example for that kid?? She had enough of me and left.

Might I add that CO's were notified but did not attend until the moose was in Safeway. That is pathetic if you ask me. They should have been down there giving out fines like Halloween candy to these idiots. Then maybe they might think twice about harassing and feeding wildlife.

I hear dat!

Caribou_lou
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Most of the moose in the area are ticks free after the great winter we had. Not nearly as much snow so they stayed at higher elevations (out of town) This is the first one I've seen with ticks. Have heard of a couple others.

ruger#1
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Crazy fool. http://youtu.be/qdCvwZaWn-g

Campus's Killer Moose Destroyed in Alaska
Published: January 15, 1995
Sign In to E-Mail

Print

A female moose that trampled a 71-year-old man to death on the campus of the University of Alaska here was killed by wildlife officials after it tried to attack a professor several days later.

Witnesses said both attacks, less than a week apart, appeared to be a result of the moose's protecting her calf.

Dr. Bruce Kappes, a university professor, was running to class on Friday when he encountered the moose. A witness said the animal tried to kick the professor but stumbled in the snow. The moose tried a second kick but again missed, the witness said.

Officers from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game decided to kill the moose because of "evidence of ill disposition," the university police said.

On Monday, the moose killed Myung Chin Ra as he tried to enter a campus building. Witnesses said students had been throwing snowballs and harassing the moose and her calf for hours before Mr. Myung was attacked.

WILLOW - A man was attacked and badly injured while walking his dogs near the Willow Airport late Friday morning.

George Murphy and Dorothea Taylor had taken their two golden retrievers out for a walk on the frontage road across from the Willow Fire Station when a moose attacked George, causing a large laceration to his head and breaking seven ribs.

Subscription Required An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.
Have an online subscription?
Login Now Need an online subscription?
Subscribe Already a Print Subscriber? .Login You have either been logged out due to inactivity or you have not logged in initially.
Screen Name or Email Password Forgot? Screen Name or Email Now I remember! .Or, use your linked account:
facebook google yahoo openID aol Need an account? Create one now. ..Choose an online service. 1 Online Subscription$4.95 for 30 days$14.00 for 90 days$24.00 for 180 days$44.00 for 365 days 2 Lemonade$10.00 for 180 days $10 for 6 months.
.Current print subscribers 1 Print Subscriber Online AccessNo additional cost. ..Already a Print Subscriber? None of these apply to you? Back Need an account? Create one now.
You must login to view the full content on this page.You have either been logged out due to inactivity or you have not logged in initially.
Screen Name or Email Password Forgot? Screen Name or Email Now I remember! .Or, use your linked account:
facebook google yahoo openID aol Need an account? Create one now. .
Beth Taber, chairman of Willow Winter Carnival, also is one of the couple's neighbors on Long Lake. She said she was passing by on the Parks Highway when she saw an ambulance.

"I looked and looked again," Taber said. "I saw George's truck so I turned around."

She said George had gotten out of the vehicle to help his old dog back in the truck when the moose attacked.

"Dorothea started yelling at the moose and eventually she got a shovel and hit the moose," Taber said.

Dorothea ran the moose off and then went to Denali Air Service where Barry Stanley called 911, Taber said. The emergency call came in at 11:39 a.m., Friday.

"You've heard the saying dynamite comes in small packages? The packages don't get much smaller or the explosions much bigger than Dorothea," Taber said.

Willow emergency services crews responded to the scene and called for a LifeMed helicopter to transport the injured man to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage.

Taber said after George was loaded into the helicopter for transport, Willow medic Jo Pendleton asked her to drive Dorothea to meet George at Providence.

Reached at the hospital, Taber said George was in the Intensive Care Unit.

He is in serious condition, according to hospital spokesperson Ginger Houghton.

"The news has traveled fast," Taber said. "We've already had several pilots in here already checking up on him."

George is a longtime pilot who still owns the 1946 Aeronica Sedan he purchased in 1953. He is a longtime Bush pilot flying for the Iditarod Air Force in support of the annual sled dog race.

Division of Wildlife Conservation heard about the incident early Friday afternoon and sent staff to patrol the area looking for moose that appeared to be acting aggressively, according to Bruce Dale, Region IV supervisor. Staff patrolled the area again Saturday morning, he said, but located no moose in the area that appeared aggressive.

"ADF&G staff will continue to monitor the area," he said.

Dale said this winter's deep snowpack is causing stress to the animals, which are gravitating toward areas with shallow snow or packed snow, such as roads, trails and driveways.

"Moose may be more aggressive and agitated than usual and defend areas with shallow snow," he said. "People should be extra cautious and give moose a wide berth."

During an average winter, about 270 moose die in collisions with vehicles. As of Jan. 19, there had been 269 moose-vehicle collisions in the Valley, according to Tim Peltier, acting area game manager for the Palmer office of Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Dale urged drivers to be vigilant and slow down, especially at night and when visibility is limited.

Alaska State Trooper spokeswoman Beth Ipsen said that troopers were not called to the scene.

Alaska Wildlife Trooper Sgt. Doug Massie said that he was working Friday but didn't get word of the incident until Saturday.

In general, he said, in rare cases troopers have had to deal with problem moose in the past.

"Sometimes you get repeat problem moose and the only option is to put them down," Massie said.

Calls to Mat-Su Borough Emergency Services were not returned as of press time.