PDA

View Full Version : Bone in or out?

Black Bird
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi folks,

I guess I am going to be answering this question myself over the next while, but I am wondering if people bone out their leg meat on geese or leave the bone in? I am very new to waterfowling, and have done some reading, talking to folks, and youtube watching. Here is my technique to date - PLEASE feel free to criticize and critique!

1) The geese are left in a cool place (sometimes my outdoor fridge) for about 3 or 4 days (guts in - except in the case of a couple of Canada geese that I gutted)

2) I take a table out into my backyard, wipe it down with vinegar, and then breast out the birds, get the legs and as much of the wing meat as possible.

From here I have branched out into 2 different techniques:

3a) I then give the meat a quick dip in a water/vinegar solution, wipe it down, wrap it up in saran wrap and butcher paper, label it, and fire it into the freezer.

or

3b) I put the meat into a solution of water/vinegar overnight in the outdoor fridge, swap the water out 24 hours later, rinse the meat, wrap it in saran wrap and butcher paper, label it, and fire it into the freezer.

In the case of 3a, all the meat is boned out. In the case of 3b, the leg bones are kept in.

I have noticed that the meat comes out more 'gamey' smelling with 3b, but that might also be because I have kept the broken bones in the water/vinegar. But really, I don't know. I have butchered or helped butcher about 10 deer in the past 5 years, and have never noticed much of a 'gamey' smell when doing that. This is really the first time that I noticed a bit of a smell with the meat I am butchering. Having said that, I am new to butchering snow geese.

Any input into what I have been doing would be much appreciated. So far, I have roasted 2 Canada geese breasts (medium rare - who knew ;) - absolutely fantastic!) and turned some snow geese legs (boned out) into ground round for pasta (for some reason, it reminded me of moose). Over the next day or two, I am going to put a few of the snow geese legs (with bones in them) into a crock pot with white wine, spices and vegetables. I guess if that turns out well, I will have answered my own question. Still, I would love to hear how other people care for their birds after they get them home.

Cheers,
BB

Blair
04-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I would take the guts out right away. I see what you are doing, not ever involving the guts, but my (gut) feeling and practice, ever since gutting birds my dad shot when I was less than ten years old (a long long time ago), is to remove the guts and get them as far away from the meat as soon as possible. Especially if there is any gut shot action going on.

Tanya
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
We do geese a couple of ways as far as cleaning goes:

Start plucking with the breast first. If there are a lot of pin feathers skin instead - (the breasts make for good burgers if ground 4 parts goose 1 part good bacon.) If not, continue plucking either the whole bird or enough to get the breasts and legs off.

For whole birds pluck well, then gut. Rinse well all over, drain well and if freezing do so in a Foodsaver or the like. Cover any broken bones with a wad of paper towel to prevent puncture of the bag.

Cooking whole birds: A number of options here. 1) stuff with a couple of apples, season the skin and roast covered at 225F all day - from 8-6 is fine.

Brine and smoke, then cook at a high temp - 400F for 45 minutes. The breasts will be good, legs will be tasty but tough.

Deep fry also an option - again the legs won't be tender.

If you prefer to not freeze the whole bird pluck, then pull the breasts ( skin on ) and legs - skin these. Bag the legs 6 or 8 to a bag for slow cooking use.

The breasts can be done in a number of ways:

Score the skin, season, sear skin side down, finish for about 20 minutes in a 375F oven or till med-rare. Stand, make a sauce with the drippings and a few blueberries or cranberries and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Slice thinly and enjoy with the sauce over salad, or rice, spuds.....

or Pull the skin, split horizontally and pound or jacquard thin. Slather on some mayo mixed with dijon, bread in panko crumbs and fry like a veal cutlet. Excellent with chantrelles.

or Cut the breast into long thin strips. Put in a ziplock bag with sarachi sauce, or your preferred sauce and leave in the fridge for 3 days. Soak skewers, thread the meat on and bbq.

The legs make excellent mock pull pork. Simmer in 225F oven all day in tomato and spices. Cool. Pull the meat, and make up a pulled pork style sauce and put the meat back in and heat. Eat on buns.

Legs are also excellent in a crock pot or as above in many different sauces, teriyaki for instance.

Enjoy.

tomahawk
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Love them left whole, gutted and plucked and washed clean like a turkey. Throw a couple onions in the cavity and put em in the oven and roast for several hours at a low heat till done. Delicious!

Foxton Gundogs
04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
plucked and roasted or completely boned out