PDA

View Full Version : no bs....your best shot ever!!!!!

mbway
04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Lets hear about your hail mary shots that made you. keep the bs to a minimum.

.330 Dakota
04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
No Hail Mary, no BS, Have you ever heard the saying, beware of the man with one gun,,cause he can shoot it?
In my 20's I owned one rifle, a model 94 Win, in 44 Rem Mag,,kinda like throwing a rock. You had to know your trajectories.
240 grainer at 1750 ish
I shot a running moose behind the ear at about 150 to 160 yards. He was kind of quartering away from me when I popped him.
Williams receiver sight with the disc removed, awesome for lever guns.

BlacktailStalker
04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Popcorn, git yer popcorn !!!!

I shot an elk in the neck at 398 yards. My partner shot one at 508 the day before.
Normally not lucky enough to hunt in areas that would permit a shot deserving of the title hail mary because I havent pulled the trigger in the 'hopes' I would hit it and a hail mary would be a looooong bomb

squamishhunter
04-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Chased a bear off a FSR into a slash. Went in after it, was looking around, thing came from behind, 1 shot in the throat.

.330 Dakota
04-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Well at least mine is believable, and true,,I can only imagine what some of the younger fellas are gonna come up with...lol

monasheemountainman
04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
grouse head shot from 40 yards with my bow

mbway
04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Awesome!!!

Drillbit
04-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Best Snipe
373 yard Gopher off the hood of a GMC. Went 40 for 40 that day, all over 100 yards. 22-250 BDL. Witnesses and video.

Same day my sidekick skipped one off the hood.

.330 Dakota
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM

I shot an elk in the neck at 398 yards. My partner shot one at 508 the day before.
Normally not lucky enough to hunt in areas that would permit a shot deserving of the title hail mary because I havent pulled the trigger in the 'hopes' I would hit it and a hail mary would be a looooong bomb

That was weird, when I replied to your post the only thing in your post was "popcorn, git your popcorn" now I see the rest of it there

Weatherby Fan
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Hahahahahaha..........hail mary.....I'm shootin a Weatherby.....no need for hail marys

.330 Dakota
04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
hahahahahaha..........hail mary.....i'm shootin a weatherby.....no need for hail marys

lmao.............

Bc Deer Hunter
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
230 yards on a white tail doe broadside. That is about as far as I will shoot on any game.

frenchbar
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
no bs :confused: hunters don't bullshit do they...:)

Fred1
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Oct 2010, near Zipper Mouth River, bull moose 290 yards (confirmed range) head on. He wont come in closer. I said to my partner "when he turns to leave, and he will do it slowly, let him have it in the engine room, we wont let him get into the bush" Moose turns, dude fires... Not sure if the bullet hit. Now the critter is facing 180 degrees away. All I could see was ass and antlers. "shit" I heard I said " I got him...." I held at the point where the antlers meet in the middle. I let go a 240 grain nosler .338 and caught him right in the back of the mellon!! Moose fell on his nose right on the 298 yard mark in a 300 yard meadow. Turns out first shot missed.
Great second shot!

steel_ram
04-09-2013, 07:55 PM
450 yards on a moose, off-hand. Got him in the heart, which was just lucky. I was standing chest deep in marsh grass with no chance of rest. This was when I was heavily into silhouette shooting. I composed the shot, felt good so I let it go. Had I been at all shakey I would have not shot.

mbway
04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Oct 2010, near Zipper Mouth River, bull moose 290 yards (confirmed range) head on. He wont come in closer. I said to my partner "when he turns to leave, and he will do it slowly, let him have it in the engine room, we wont let him get into the bush" Moose turns, dude fires... Not sure if the bullet hit. Now the critter is facing 180 degrees away. All I could see was ass and antlers. "shit" I heard I said " I got him...." I held at the point where the antlers meet in the middle. I let go a 240 grain nosler .338 and caught him right in the back of the mellon!! Moose fell on his nose right on the 298 yard mark in a 300 yard meadow. Turns out first shot missed.
Great second shot!

awesome!!!

Fred1
04-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Best action
was a Sask bush push. 2 BIG bucks shot in the bush by pushers, and then 22 coyotes came out running hard. I got 9 with 51 bullets. All running, closest one was 150 yards. The boys still laugh about that one and call my post "the Brass Pile". By far the most memorable hunting day with the crew/family.

Best Snipe
373 yard Gopher off the hood of a GMC. Went 40 for 40 that day, all over 100 yards. 22-250 BDL. Witnesses and video.

Ah yes the old hood skipper!! CHIT!!!

ElectricDyck
04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
No hail marys,no bs :) I've got two that I am proud of, both have been quick shots at black tails, shots within seconds, not terrible far distance, but quick. First one we were walking along, foggy rainy day, we'd already shot a buck in the morning and weren't expecting to see another, my turn to shoot, buck busts in front of us at 50 yards, I pull the rifle out of the back pack scabbard, raise it up just to see a bouncing ass, I lower the gun pissed thinking he's gone, just as he stops broadside at 15o yards, gun up, boom, shoulder shot, runs 5 yards and face slides. Second was another year 200 yards from the last one, walking back to camp in the fading light, see a blur of deer movement behind bushes 100 yards away, I flat out run down the trail pulling my rifle out of the scabbard while running trying to gain visibility, clear the bushes, stop, rifle up, deers stopped bouncing and is hot stepping it up the opposite steep hillside, antlers, boom, boom, deer slides down the hill.

Pioneerman
04-09-2013, 08:07 PM
I have taken a lot of animals over 400 yards with my longer range rifles, but my buddies sitting around camp always mention a blue grouse I took the head off at 83 paces with my 444 and iron sites no rest. I hit it right in the head and it tore the neck meat,skin and feathers off right down to the top of the body. So you have the body laying there and the bare neck bones about two inches long no meat skin or feathers. It died no need for a second shot lol

BlacktailStalker
04-09-2013, 08:07 PM
That was weird, when I replied to your post the only thing in your post was "popcorn, git your popcorn" now I see the rest of it there

I added some butter :)

oddsix
04-09-2013, 08:10 PM
3 point mulie at 10 feet that was charging me. I was going for the head, but his antlers were pointed so far down that I got him in the back end of his spine, almost a miss I would have been trampled. Only 6 feet away after he dropped from the momentum, he was pissed. Free hand with no scope.

Sofa King
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
i've always thought of my longest shot as my best.
probably because i never take a long shot on an animal.
mine was 400 yards, 4 pt mule deer.
it was really memorable because a friend tagged along and was really excited, he'd never experienced hunting or the outdoors much.
i spotted the deer along the far edge of a cutblock we walked into.
he watched through the binos while i sat down to get relaxed and prepare for the shot.
i had tons of time, as the deer had no idea we were there, and was slowly walking and feeding.
he kept telling me to hurry and shoot before it went in the trees.
i kept explaining about how it was a far shot and i needed to calm my breathing and be steady.
when i finally pulled the trigger, he started freaking out.
he saw everything happen right up close through the binos, and was amazed.
the deer dropped in it's tracks, dead.
also was my first and only neck-shot.

horshur
04-09-2013, 08:17 PM
shot a wolf at 453 metres iron sights 35 reminton 336 marlin...No BS. used gps after the fact to determine distance

afflicted 1
04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Drove 8 hrs to koot set up camp. Went for walk and sat down to enjoy view, cracked a beer and called, 2 minutes and cows run out with a six point behind. Hummed and hawed till he was dropping behind a hill at 280 and shot him trotting between the ears! Buddy couldn't believe it but it was just luck. Note to self though dont end great 1 week hunt in 45 minutes the drive really sucks

BlacktailStalker
04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
shot a wolf at 453 metres iron sights 35 reminton 336 marlin...No BS. used gps after the fact to determine distance

Be nice now ! Some of us recently missed one at 1/4 that with open sights lol :embarassed:

Fred1
Drove 8 hrs to koot set up camp. Went for walk and sat down to enjoy view, cracked a beer and called, 2 minutes and cows run out with a six point behind. Hummed and hawed till he was dropping behind a hill at 280 and shot him trotting between the ears! Buddy couldn't believe it but it was just luck. Note to self though dont end great 1 week hunt in 45 minutes the drive really sucks

Ive seen guys end a guided hunt that fast!!

lilhoss
Late season Blacktail.Snow was deep and crunchy,all I could hear was "something" coming downhill towards me.First I see the doe,then a nice 4 point hot on the trail.Down to one knee,opens sights,borrowed my bro's 30-30,old iron sights,I didn't own a gun yet,about 100 yds uphill.Put it right on the engine room and pow!,... he does the four legged jump in the air and stops.Where the hell did that come from?I look...he wags his tail..dead giveaway,a clean miss.I quickly lever,as he's getting ready to book it.Wham dropped him,right through the head through cheek to cheek.I was only about 19 at the time....Yup,meant to do that!:mrgreen:

Big Lew
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Shot a intruder racing pigeon among my birds sitting on the barn ridge top at approx 35-37 yds with a long bow when I was a youth.
First game success with a compound bow was a rabbit at 42 yds right in the neck, basically cutting it in half.

bridger
04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Dall sheep inte yukon standing broadside. Guide ranged him at 610 yards. No way to get closer lots of time with a solid rest. "

ElectricDyck
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Ok not hail marys or bs just dumb luck. 2007 I just got my hunting licence and decided to go wheelin up the harrison and maybe see a deer, after 4 hour of drivin, I'd seen one small black bear, but I kept turnin up the spurs hopin for the best.

I turn up one of the last spurs, drive a bit, what's that on a bluff? $50 bushnells up, that's a deer! Two deer! The second one's either got antlers or 4 ears! Quickly out of the truck, try holding steady on him, no dice, take a rest, still shakey as shit, hmmm must be too far (no range finder).....Deer step into the bushes, I jog up the logging road, gaining elevation to be level with the bluff. 45 mins later, I'm level with the bluff and disheartened the deer are no where in sight. I walk sadly back down the logging road back to the truck. Almost back to the truck I see a small quad trail I hadn't noticed and decided to check it out. The trail is mossy and quiet and i sneak along it. I see that it is winding to an end and I'm disappointed again. I look up and there's the bluff and the blacktail starring back at me, I raise my rifle, aim for vitals and boom, the deer falls,. I climb up pumped that I killed my first buck, I find him, no holes, just a scab by his eye? Turns out I popped him right under the eye :) Lucky bad shot!

kako99
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
64 yrds at a buck with my bow.

ElectricDyck
04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Part 2 - Straight up luck, 2007 1 bt down a week earlier(first buck ever), wife wants to do something with the family on a sunny Sunday. I suggest a drive out to hale creek (west Harrison), a fire and some fishing. Off we are, well might as well bring the rifle, never know what might happen? At about the 7 km mark on the fsr a buck steps into the middle of the road, smelling the air....I spilled my coffee trying to get it into the cup holder as I grabbed for my rifle and tryed to undue my seat belt. I stepped out of the truck, took a knee, aimed for vitals and boom!, deer drops on the spot! My wife's pumped, the kids wake up and are wide eyed from the excitement! I walk the 100 yards up to the deer and it starts to do the three stooges run on the ground. I shoot it again in the vitals at close range. Turns out 2nd head shot in a week....buck fever and luck:)

stroh72
04-09-2013, 09:00 PM
It was the fall of 2008 and my mother had just past away a few months earlier. My father decided to come with us on our pilgrimage to the back end of the Churn. I had submitted all the LEH and he drew a doe. He didnt really want to get out and walk as he was suffering from a terminal lung infection which took away his breath with just a few short steps. Up to this he had been hunting on and off for 45 years with no definitive kill to his name.

A successful evening for 1 member brought a late bs session around the fire. The next morning the only two members left in the tent were my father and a old family friend Glenn. Dad was unmotivated so Glenn wandered out just after sunup. Glenn walked approx. 100 yards down the road to the edge of thhe cutblock only to see a lone doe feeding 40 yards out. He immediately turned to get my father.

He walked my father down the snow covered road to the small berm at the edge of the cutblock. He was hacking ,coughing and weezing. His illness was really showing with the altitiude and the cold air. The doe just ate while Glenn tried to settle my old man down. Terry he said "just put the sights behind her shoulder and pull."

Dad raised the iron sighted 300 Savage99F and shook terribly. At the sound of the shot the deer dropped in her tracks.

Tears and hugs, Glenn helped my father across the 37 yards to his only game ever taken. "Where did you shoot her Terry?"

"Right where you told me Glenn, in the boiler room!"

As they picked up the trophy the blood trickled from a hole low and behind the ear. "What do you think Glenn? Close enough?"

It was probably the best outdoor moment my father ever experienced. The shot was the worst by being 3' out over that 37 yards but also quite possibly the best ever taken.

We lost Dad the next Spring.....and the Savage is in Glenns safe.

RIP...RTS

aggiehunter
04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I shot a grouse on the road with my bow and it took off flying down the road over a little hill...the arrow was stuck out each side evenly as it flew...I saw it veer to the left and almost at the same time the CO came over the rise in his truck...he saw the grouse flying down the road and veering off the road...he even chuckled..My best shot ever....well....

Fred1
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
It was the fall of 2008 and my mother had just past away a few months earlier. My father decided to come with us on our pilgrimage to the back end of the Churn. I had submitted all the LEH and he drew a doe. He didnt really want to get out and walk as he was suffering from a terminal lung infection which took away his breath with just a few short steps. Up to this he had been hunting on and off for 45 years with no definitive kill to his name.

A successful evening for 1 member brought a late bs session around the fire. The next morning the only two members left in the tent were my father and a old family friend Glenn. Dad was unmotivated so Glenn wandered out just after sunup. Glenn walked approx. 100 yards down the road to the edge of thhe cutblock only to see a lone doe feeding 40 yards out. He immediately turned to get my father.

He walked my father down the snow covered road to the small berm at the edge of the cutblock. He was hacking ,coughing and weezing. His illness was really showing with the altitiude and the cold air. The doe just ate while Glenn tried to settle my old man down. Terry he said "just put the sights behind her shoulder and pull."

Dad raised the iron sighted 300 Savage99F and shook terribly. At the sound of the shot the deer dropped in her tracks.

Tears and hugs, Glenn helped my father across the 37 yards to his only game ever taken. "Where did you shoot her Terry?"

As they picked up the trophy the blood trickled from a hole low and behind the ear. "What do you think Glenn? Close enough?"

It was probably the best outdoor moment my father ever experienced. The shot was the worst by being 3' out over that 37 yards but also quite possibly the best ever taken.

RIP...RTS
Perfect.. Now thats IS A QUALITY HUNT!

ElectricDyck
04-09-2013, 09:06 PM

RIP...RTS

Nice shot!:cool:

Agent Orange
04-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Fall 2012 (my second season) my dad and I are in a blind (pile of rocks) on a farmers field at last light waiting for some white tails to come out and feed. I spot one at the tree line and ranged it at 325yrds. It's so darks by this time I can barely make out the deer in my scope (the one the rifle came with when my dad bought it 25 years ago) but I am still confident enough and I take the shot. It goes down right away. We make the trek to find it and when we do we see that the shot was in the spine just above the hind legs (about 3' left and 1' high of the boiler room). That was the moment I decided to buy a new scope.

Caveman
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I was 17 and bringing my brother and nephews back from S Barriere Lake when a flock of grouse run across the road in front of me. I say to the kids, "You guys want to get a grouse?" They say yes so I jump out of the Suzuki and grab two rocks. As one grouse runs by a log I throw a rock in it's direction. it jumps up on the log so I let the second one fly. The rock clips it in the head and peels the hide back. I run over grabbed it and threw it in the Suzuki, like it was no big deal. The kids still talk about that 30 years later

rainman
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Best Snipe

what was a gopher doing on the hood of your truck and werent you worried you were going to hit your truck at 373 yards??:-D

tanker
04-09-2013, 09:42 PM
my second and third grouse ever, i shot one on the road went out picked up the bird put it in the truck hop back in and i look up we all see a nother grouse i throw 2 shells in the 20g 870 and shoot the thing flys up straight at me and i hit him out of the air and he landed 5 feet away from me, all could hear was "f**k yeah!" from my friend and his rents we saw alot of grouse that day we ended the day with 8 between 3 of us and let alot more fly!

treehugger
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
My best was a 4 point mulie up near Lillooet. It was the last day of our hunt, when everything always comes together, my brother and I had spooked a bunch of deer in a lower field. There were 3 bucks and about 6 or 7 does. They ended up running across the overgrown road single file about 50 or so yards out front... after 3 does did that, I sat down in the middle of the road with my scope trained on the bushes where they were coming out. Sure enough the next deer out was a buck and... I just watched it run across the road through my crosshairs. I've never been much of a quick draw. Anyways, I spotted them again after my brother and I split up, they were standing spread out on a scree slope about 300yds out and up dead reckoning. I got into the prone position, scraped a bunch of branches into a pile as a rest and aimed. I aimed about 12 inches above it's back over the boiler room, squeezed off a round and when my gun came down it was sliding down the slope. Later we went back with a range finder and ranged it in a 275yds. I retrieved my 180gr 30-06 caliber bullet the spine when we butchered it, I still have it and the casing.
The deer was practically inedible but I hardly remember the hunts of some of my better flavoured deer.

keoke
04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
My best shot was when i was 10, 20 yd shot on a running quail with a sling shot. When the rock hit him in the head my jaw dropped and had no idea what to do other than get my grandpa.

Jim Prawn
04-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Kootenay alpine Mulie, dont know how far (pre range finder) A nice big 5x4 (no B&Cer but a solid buck) all I could see was his head & neck looking over the ridge at me, held at the top of his antlers and hit him right under the chin. I'm guessin 400 plus. (30/06 zeroed at 200 shooting steep uphill).
JP

Jim Prawn
04-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Now that you mention it! I once knocked a blue grouse out of the air with a thrown rock! Totally unintentional, I threw high and the grouse flushed right into the rock. Didnt kill it but stunned it enough that I could ring its neck! Oh the memories!!!
JP

My best shot was when i was 10, 20 yd shot on a running quail with a sling shot. When the rock hit him in the head my jaw dropped and had no idea what to do other than get my grandpa.

rainman
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
i did the same thing i missed the grouse twice with my bow and wrecked two arrows,i was pissed so when he took off i picked up a rock and led him by ALOT pure fluke but i drilled him and he nosedived into a big rock,game over.....luckily my girlfriend at the time was with me and i said you saw that.

trapman
04-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Stonesheep 758 yards 1 shot took 3 steps and was down

pete_k
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Smalltown, Sask. At the dump. Mid 70's. 11 years old. Rode my Honda 50 to the dump with my 22 and my bro.
Set up some beer bottles. One fell over on its side with the opening facing me. Probably only 20 or 30 feet.
The bullet ended up going through the neck and took out the bottom of the bottle. Leaving the rest of the bottle intact.

It was not my plan, I just wanted to hit the bottle.
Of course I acted like it was a good shot though. lol

Just thinking back. That's how I would often spend my allowance of 1 or 2 bucks. Buy a pack of 22 rounds for 50 cents
from the little hardware store. Bag a chips and a pop and off to the dump on my minibike to shoot stuff.

Bigbear
04-09-2013, 10:16 PM
i shot a wolf a about 300 Yard running away, 284 Win with 145 gr Boat tail hand load. Rested the rifle I got witnesses. cartwheeled him as they say goes head over heels

coach
04-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Impressive.. But a few years ago I managed to line up two grouse and made a double headshot at 25 yards - with my bow! :-D

mbway
04-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Smalltown, Sask. At the dump. Mid 70's. 11 years old. Rode my Honda 50 to the dump with my 22 and my bro.
Set up some beer bottles. One fell over on its side with the opening facing me. Probably only 20 or 30 feet.
The bullet ended up going through the neck and took out the bottom of the bottle. Leaving the rest of the bottle intact.

Just thinking back. That's how I would often spend my allowance of 1 or 2 bucks. Buy a pack of 22 rounds for 50 cents
from the little hardware store. Bag a chips and a pop and off to the dump on my minibike to shoot stuff.

Gone are the days.used to do the same things

gcreek
04-10-2013, 01:30 AM
30-30, charging grizzly at 30 yards. One shot in the chest stopped it. Rather not be in that place again.

hunter1947
04-10-2013, 02:21 AM
My best shot was at 500 yards on my 7x7 elk I got mounted he was facing me and I got him dead center of the chest with the second shot..

Mr. Dean
04-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Williams receiver sight with the disc removed, awesome for lever guns.

Ain't that a fact!

On the back of my Marlin 45-70.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC_0119_edited-3.JPG (javascript:;)

Got nothing to add in regards of hail mary - Just never bothered.
But that gun in the pic, as pictured, could hit a clay bird from a freehand shot @ 200M.

nap
04-10-2013, 04:34 AM
Hahahahahaha..........hail mary.....I'm shootin a Weatherby.....no need for hail marys

I pack the one the only 375 h&h I need say no more!!!

I don't know if it was my best shot but, I dozed off in my tree stand and woke up to a young bull moose beneath me, he dropped real sudden like. I didn't say a hail mary but I did thank the lord for an easy one.

nap
04-10-2013, 04:39 AM

:twisted:Come on Pete, I have to call B.S. on this story, Bag of chips were not invented yet, Fess up!!!:twisted:

ianwuzhere
04-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Lets get real and ask who packs a range finder and checks the ranges after each shot- cuz we all know my 500 yards and your 500 yards could be 300yards off.
Oh and for the stories back in the 80's where open signts 500+ yards hail marys? we all believe what we want.
Next thread..

BCBRAD
04-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Moose, 425yds measured distance, off hand , with a 35Whelen 250gr Barnes X bullet, scope at 6X. First shot was heart shot second shot nipped the front leg.

mbway
04-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Lets get real and ask who packs a range finder and checks the ranges after each shot- cuz we all know my 500 yards and your 500 yards could be 300yards off.
Oh and for the stories back in the 80's where open signts 500+ yards hail marys? we all believe what we want.
Next thread..

Oh dont be such a killjoy. Nobody's forcing you to read

hunter1947
04-10-2013, 06:22 AM

I agree x2.

Weatherby Fan
04-10-2013, 06:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ianwuzhere http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1314893#post1314893)
Next thread..

Well you did ask for his best shot...........I'd say he give you that, and then you did ask for no BS......hehe

boblly1
04-10-2013, 06:38 AM
bull moose at 460 yds with my 270 win. 160 grain nozler partition 53gr 4350 imr with mgnum primer didn't stay down had to track him for a kill shot probably would have was in his lungs

mbway
04-10-2013, 06:51 AM
bull moose at 460 yds with my 270 win. 160 grain nozler partition 53gr 4350 imr with mgnum primer didn't stay down had to track him for a kill shot probably would have was in his lungs

Good shootin! That's a pretty hot load for 270. Good thing....it paid off.

Deeboe
04-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Shot my billie a few years ago. Stalked to within 15 yards while he slept. Pulled the trigger on my .300 wby, and boom, one heck of a mess.... One heck of a shot...

E.B.
04-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Iron sights this past fall 215 yrds with a 30-30. Then missed at 35 yards two weeks later ?

frase
04-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Not a shot I'm proud of but took a shot a a 2 pt muley across a ravine and it was snowing. Went to search for it but the snow was quickly covering any tracks or blood trail. Not sure if he went down or not but finally after about 30 mins we found one drop of blood. Followed the trail and saw another couple of drops but that was it. Followed the tracks for about 200 yds more and saw some inards (sp?) and 25 yds later found more parts and there he was lying down, still alive, and with most of his insides hanging out and undamaged. He hardly needed field dressing as his stomach, intestines, etc was all outside his body. My shot creased its belly just like a knife. Like I said, not proud of my performance but it was 15 years ago and I'm a better shot now.

Weatherby Fan
04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I have two shots that come to mind, first one was a 4 pt mule deer at 15 yards in the jack pines,I called a cpl of times after spotting a doe and this buck sticks his head out for a quick look......one shot in the throat patch he was done.

The other was a 2 pt Blacktail at 420 yds being the longest shot I've made with a 7mm rem,I shot a little high on his body and the shot broke both front legs going through the brisket.....

bcbrez
04-10-2013, 07:22 AM
around 250 yards on a running coyote, freehand with 300 win mag. He did a few flips.

DANOSON
04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Bull moose 583yds. The only reason I shot at it my partner put a barnes x through him didn't hit anything on the way through and it ran back stood there and he could not see him. Freehand horse shit luck and spined him.

mbway
04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
That sounds like mine. 270ish yrds. Running coyote with 30-06 freehand.

DANOSON
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Was with my 338

Crawfy42
04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
About 450 yards on a trotting coyote freehand with my 7MM. One thing that helped me hit it was I shot at a different coyote 5 minutes before that at approximately the same distance and I saw where my bullet hit in the snow because I missed that one.

M.Dean
04-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Years ago, back when I could see real good, the Wife and me were out Hunting Bucks, big stinky Bucks! I'd parked the truck at the start of a huge logging slash, the Wife didn't want to hike around with me,as usual so I left her in the Truck to drink coffee and watch if any Bucks walked across the slash. After I'd walked half way around the block I sat down and started to glass the block, I could see the truck down below me, and there was the Wife waving like crazy and pointing to the side of the block that I couldn't see because the truck was in the way! She held her arms up to show me this Buck was Huge!!! And knowing I only had half a minute before the Buck disappeared,I had to figger out how to take a shot at him! The Wife was glassing me to see what I was going to do, so I motioned to her to roll down the drivers side window, which she did, I then motioned for her to roll down the passenger's side glass too so I could fire right through the trucks cab, which she did! I then motioned her to lay down on the seat, I didn't want her to open the door cuz sure as hell the Big Buck would spook! I turned my 4x12 Leupold to the max, it was a good 450 to 500 yards to the truck, and then the Buck was about another 200 yards from the window of the truck!!! I took careful aim, but with both windows open, the wind was blowing the Wife's hair all over, but what the hell, I just prayed the 180 gr bullet wouldn't deflect and wreak the inside door pad!!! So, with nothing to hold the Rifle steady, I held the gun as tight as I could, took aim and let the bullet fly!!! Well, that round was low, it hit the drivers door about a foot down from the window sill,I fired three more rounds, but they hit the drivers door too, but what luck!!! At the sound of the shot the Buck started to run at the perfect angle!!! I could see it making it's way into the timber behind the truck, it was roughly 750 yards away, so I aimed about 16 inches high, pulled the pin and it dropped in it's tracks!!! What a shot!!! The Buck was Huge!!! This was one proud moment for me, I knew the Buck was going to make B.C. book, it now hang's in all it's glory in my living room! My new Wife likes hunting and hiking with me, she's not the kind of Women that likes to simply tag along on my hunting trips and sit in the truck and bitch and complain about every little thing, nagging from the minute she get's her fat ass out of bed in the morning, until the sun sets in the evening, nag, nag, Nag !!! Now that put's new meaning to killing two birds with one dam stone, don't it!!!

f350ps
04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Love it M.Dean, yer the man, and one hell of a shot to boot!!! :) K

OutWest
04-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Well at least mine is believable, and true,,I can only imagine what some of the younger fellas are gonna come up with...lol

Ya, because it's clear that on this site it's the young guys that don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn...

Brez
04-10-2013, 08:13 AM
5 grouse, 5 head shots. Got cocky with my lucky arrow and 6th grouse was in a tree - never saw my arrow again!
Last day, last 15 minutes of light. rattling whitetail in Alberta - 20 to 25 deg below zero. Sitting on the edge of a cut line, I could hear a deer coming in from behind me but on the wrong side so I turned around and knelt in the squeaky snow. Now the deer changed direction and is coming on my left side (I normally shoot left-handed) so I get ready to shoot right handed. No sound. I bend over to look under the spruce branches and see a 4-point 20 yds or so away doing the same thing looking at me. He whirls. I whip the rifle around and shoot from the hip through the bush to where i think he is as I cannot see him because of the trees and brush. Nailed him.

.330 Dakota
04-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Part 2 - Straight up luck, 2007 1 bt down a week earlier(first buck ever), wife wants to do something with the family on a sunny Sunday. I suggest a drive out to hale creek (west Harrison), a fire and some fishing. Off we are, well might as well bring the rifle, never know what might happen? At about the 7 km mark on the fsr a buck steps into the middle of the road, smelling the air....I spilled my coffee trying to get it into the cup holder as I grabbed for my rifle and tryed to undue my seat belt. I stepped out of the truck, took a knee, aimed for vitals and boom!, deer drops on the spot! My wife's pumped, the kids wake up and are wide eyed from the excitement! I walk the 100 yards up to the deer and it starts to do the three stooges run on the ground. I shoot it again in the vitals at close range. Turns out 2nd head shot in a week....buck fever and luck:)

You wear your seatbelt while hunting??? lol

proguide66
04-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Old mobile just south of Muncho on a small side road , checking guns after hunting for a while. Found a half sheet of drywall , no marks. We stood it on edge , put a big felt pen cross on it....went back to 560 yrds and said to my partner , " if I bullseye gimme $100 bucks" , he says " go F yerself"....me , " ok , buy me breaky at the lodge" , ' OK'....tee off , ( 338 ultra mag) , spotter up , cant see any holes...he laughs I missed a 4X4ft target , we drive up to it , split the felt pen cross hairs !! DOH....we laughed our ass's off all way back to Toad , lol...( NEVER do that again)
( running blacktail through timber 35 yrds , quartering away , zipped an arrow through his ribs...5X)

.330 Dakota
04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
I pack the one the only 375 h&h I need say no more!!!

I don't know if it was my best shot but, I dozed off in my tree stand and woke up to a young bull moose beneath me, he dropped real sudden like. I didn't say a hail mary but I did thank the lord for an easy one.

Dont let Gates see this post, you'll get him all Rugered up...lol

Awishanew
04-10-2013, 08:21 AM
When I went to a turkey shoot with a Kentucky Flintlock long rifle shooting against 7 other men using modern rifles but no scopes. We kept shooting offhand at 100 yds. until you missed, then were out. I finally beat a guy shooting a 308 and it took 8 shots until he missed. I went home with the turkey and took a picture of it with my rifle I built.

Big Lew
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
You wear your seatbelt while hunting??? lol

I do....think about it, you're constantly looking everywhere except where you are driving, so the risk of a rollover etc. is very high.

Moe.JKU
04-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I do....think about it, you're constantly looking everywhere except where you are driving, so the risk of a rollover etc. is very high.
This is very true i just had this happen in October with my friend took a nasty spill down a 60ft clif. no belt, 55km walk to the hospital, 12 staples in my head later. Ill wear my belt.
For me it would be yote at around 250 longest I've had to shoot so far, by about 100.

pete_k
04-10-2013, 09:07 AM
, I dozed off in my tree stand
There. I filtered out the BS.

Red arch
04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't have very many yet, only harvesting 3 big game to date.
My best shot would be when I was 5. I thought i could hit the bullseye on a 20 yard target with the iconic fiberglass recurve.
I ended up taking out a light in the club about ten yards down instead!

Mulehahn
04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I can't say I have ever taken a really long shot on an animal, and can't say I haven't pooched a simple shot. The only true hail mary shot I can say I ever took was couple of summers ago. Me and a friend were up at his cabin and decided to have a day of golf and shooting. Playing $10 a hole lets just say I was close to $200 down. With golf done time to go shooting. When we get to the cut block and my shooting wasn't much better and he is giving me a bad time. I get a little frustrated so I grab the golf clubs and tell him to hit a ball, double or nothing I hit the ball with my next shot. He drives it probably 280(ish) yrds. Set up, and bam, sure enough I hit that ball dead centre, Pieces everywhere. Yes, at the bench that would of been no big deal for a lot of guys, but I was leaning against a tree for support and was little pissed off. Never forget the look on his face.

coquitlam
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Every shot from my buddy is a hail marry shot , but always does the job. Every animal he has shot with me has been a snap shot free hand. I cannot see how he can sit with that horse shoe that is crammed up his butt. One time We were walking along an alpine ridge above what we call the hell hole. We call it the hell hole because we have always said that if an animal gets shot and goes down there we would have to eat it down there as the walls around it are so steep and bringing it up would be extremely tough. Out of nowhere there is a buck coming up one of the faces. My buddy is a few steps in front of me ,and before I can say ,wait for him to get to the top. Snap the shot is done the deer is dead and lying on the only flat spot in that whole valley no bigger than 2 feet by 2 feet . We climb over to it and it was spined free hand at about 200 yards. I see him time and time again do it. I always ask where were you aiming and I never get an answer. For me to give in and believe that he has shooting skill ,would be taking away the right from me to give him a ribbing on how he is Mr. Hail Mary each night around the camp fire .

Brez
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Duck hunting. Had a bunch of mallards coming in. Took the first two with my pump and had one shot left and two more greenheads coming in. I waited till they were going by me and swung real fast so that half the pellets hit the trailing one and the other half caught the lead one. No bs!!

Mr. Dean
04-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Lets get real and ask who packs a range finder and checks the ranges after each shot

ummmmm, howabout before the shot?

Drillbit
04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
My rangefinder finds much more use after the shot than before. Usually no time before.

genockous
04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I shot a moose so far away..when I got to it...it was rotten

t-rexer
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
First deer ever was a fork mule deer . I shot him in the head from about 180 yrds only shot I had, the old man said go for it either it drops or runs off don't sweat it. So I pulled on him I couldn't tell if I got him so we ran up to find him kind of kicking and squirming around on the ground so I decided I had to finish him quick( don't like seeing animals suffer) I took aim and shot him again in the head. Walked up to claim my trophy my dad was more excited and proud than I was. It wasn't until we dragged him back to the truck that we noticed only one bullet hole. That's right two shots one hole

Jack Russell
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
6 yards, dead on - shot him in the neck. Heard deer coming, hid behind a small dead fall root wad and thought I was going to watch the doe jump right over me (hunting buddy was pushing upwind). I had to stand up to avoid being "run over". Buck followed 6 or 8 seconds later.

BRvalley
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
lazy sunday morning, hung over in my college house, watching a movie, 6 of us flopped out on the couches...there was a big moth flying around the room, kept fluttering in front of the tv

we had squirrel problems in the attic so we kept a 177 CO2 handgun...i grab it off the table and buddy's gf says don't even be so stupid....so instead of a pellet, i pick up a honey nut cheerio off the table, break a little chunk and stuff it in the end of the barrel...the moth was flying across the room....licked my finger and did a wind check for good measure and then squeezed....the moth goes flying back into the drapes and i jump up to claim my trophy...perfect head shot, no damage to the wings or body, was about10-12' shot

Weatherby Fan
04-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I shot a moose so far away..when I got to it...it was rotten

We used to salt the bullets down first that way you won't run into the rott problems............see ya can learn something new everyday on HBC !

MacMtnHunter
04-10-2013, 12:19 PM

This is such a BS thread but pretty funny to read... I would agree with this post. I once shot a squirrel that leapt between tree branches with my slingshot from the hip... Stone dead, meant to do that! I think I was about 7

MacMtnHunter
04-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Have yet to read of anybody smoking anything with their bow from point blank... Have heard of and seen this happen a couple times on elk when they walk right past the shooter to the called! A friend shot a 177net mulie with his bow at 88 yards with his bow. Rage braodhead put about a 4.5 inch gash through the vitals on a quartering away shot! Other friend smokes his billy last year at 7 yards... followed him over the top and around on a ledge. All he could see was white he was so close :) I think that is more fun than shooting something from 500 yards :)

BUT, since everyone is BSing, I once took a follow-up shot on a running bull elk that my dad hit but couldn't find him in the failing light. 387yards uphill at about 40degrees off-hand with my 300wsm... probably shouldn't have taken the shot but we were worried that we would lose him overnight. Never seen an elk do a front flip like that before. Both bullets landed withing 2 inches of eachother right through the lungs

Farmer001
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Shot a crow with my old trusty 177 pellet gun. Lived in a residential area and the crows were out at first light making one hell of a racket. Saw one at the top of a tree big fir tree , would guess 80 yrds. Put sights a few feet above him and let er rip. like as if I was going to hit him and if I did would probably bounce off him at that distance anyway. Low and behold the bugger flippin drops!!!!! Not dead but mortally wounded and making one hell of a racket as he fell all the way down the tree. Now when these guys die other crows either come to watch or go into cannibal mode, not sure but within a couple of minutes there must have been 50 crows in that tree. Well "Now" the whole neighbourhood was awake, so I took the dog for a walk and watched as there were crows coming from everywhere to check out what was going on for at least 1/2 hour. Neighbours were out there standing and saying "why doesn't someone shoot those things". If they only knew.

afflicted 1
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM

I remember those kinds of things, was saying to the wife could you imagine what alot of people now a days would think of the the way some of us grew up and the things we did as kids. How dare a kid say gun at school now!

REMINGTON JIM
04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
We used to salt the bullets down first that way you won't run into the rott problems............see ya can learn something new everyday on HBC !

LMAO ! Salt the bullets - now thats a original ! :-D RJ

BearStump
04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
almost the best shot ever by my son logan. we were on a day hun up the whipsaw with some buddies from work and my son . hadn't seen a damn thing all day, tgen at about 45 min before dark we see a family of grouse in the middle of the fsr. so out pops logan with the .410. he only had 3 shells left because his dad and his buddies were dicking around at midday shooting cans lol. so logan walks up to about 20 yds and misses 3 times in a row. before i could even say anything, he's running at these birds with the .410 like a baseball bat. his instinct kicked in and he didnt even miss a beat.
fortunately he didnt wreck the gun. and he did get all the chickens with the .270.

Big Lew
04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
LMAO ! Salt the bullets - now thats a original ! :-D RJ

Not as original as you might expect. Several young lads during my youth got a load of rock salt shot in the butt when raiding an orchard, including yours truly!

trapperRick
04-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Mine was when I was younger back home in Sask My dad and his best friend were there I nailed a deer at about 850 yards heart shot, rifle used was an old BSA 3006

HarryToolips
04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Very good...mine using a 3 zoom scope 250 yard on a whitetail buck..

steveymoe
04-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Moose hunting 2012. Arrived athunting area saturday afternoon, set up camp.Someone woke me up at 6:30 sunday morning to say there was a moose across the lake.Walked 50ft to lake and shot the bull at 340 yds End of hunt

Fred1
04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
My rangefinder finds much more use after the shot than before. Usually no time before.

I use a hip chain...

wlbc
04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Not my furthest shot but probably my best. I was hunting with a friend on his ranch at dawn, we were on our way to a spot and we saw a wolf at a dead run as we crested a rise. He slammed on the brakes and requested that I kill the wolf.

I jumped out and used the hood of the truck for a rest. Just a shade under 300 yards, double lung bang flop. I did laser it after the fact.

The thing about most of my longer shots is I do laser them before I take them otherwise I can't be sure about making it. After 300 yards things change too fast to not range things.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/wolf010.jpg

Nick270
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
My first deer running uphill threw trees I pulled my old 270 pump action up and forgot I had safety on brought it back down safety off back up quickly aimed under 1 second and shot didn't think I got it but I did what a great day that was.

argyle1
04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
maybe these hail mary's should be shots on purpose--dunno if it's countable when you're trying for the boiler room at 400 yds and hit the neck, or the ear

Dutch Ppoacher
04-10-2013, 09:14 PM

RIP...RTS

amen!!!!!!!

TyTy
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
took a shot at a running whitetail buck. experiencing major buck fever. missed the running shot. then the buck stops broadside at 150 yards!! now im off my rest because im shooting a lever, scope back up on the buck, i can see he is confused about whats happening and where his buddy is, that my buddy just shot. he is gonna bolt in a second. shaky, i focus behind the shoulder, feel good about it, touch one off. he jumps 10 feet straight up and lands dead. shot when in behind shoulder, out the brisket :)

f350ps
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

RIP...RTS

Excellent story, I'll bet the ole boy is still grinning right now, good on him!!! K

Sofa King
04-10-2013, 10:05 PM
i've always thought of my longest shot as my best.
probably because i never take a long shot on an animal.
mine was 400 yards, 4 pt mule deer.
it was really memorable because a friend tagged along and was really excited, he'd never experienced hunting or the outdoors much.
i spotted the deer along the far edge of a cutblock we walked into.
he watched through the binos while i sat down to get relaxed and prepare for the shot.
i had tons of time, as the deer had no idea we were there, and was slowly walking and feeding.
he kept telling me to hurry and shoot before it went in the trees.
i kept explaining about how it was a far shot and i needed to calm my breathing and be steady.
when i finally pulled the trigger, he started freaking out.
he saw everything happen right up close through the binos, and was amazed.
the deer dropped in it's tracks, dead.
also was my first and only neck-shot.

here's the deer.
i was wanting to hold out, not necessarily for something beigger even, but to extend the season.
i hate shooting a deer early.
but i shot this guy so my friend could experience it.
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/P9141259_zpsea6dabdb.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/P9141261_zps68e95f74.jpg

Sofa King
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
now that i've thought about it.
this was probably my "best" shot.
at first i was thinking it was more a hail-mary, and i wouldn't count a hail-mary as a great anything.
but it wasn't, i raised the rifle and aimed clearly.
it's just that it all happened in split seconds and unexpected.

i was heading in, early morning, back to where i'd jumped a couple deer the day before, but never got a shot or had a clear view.

on the walk in, i found two sets of tracks in the fresh snow.

they followed the trail, then cut straight left, straight uphill.

i slowed my walking down and started to follow.
they were very, very fresh.
after too much climbing, they went to a rock cliff, that dropped off the backside.
i meandered my way up the rocks, following their exact trail, but watching everywhere for them.
i was guessing it was a buck on a doe.
the tracks disappeared off the backside, into the bottom.

i stood there scanning the area bellow me and couldnt see anything in the thicker brush.
then, from directly below me, something exploded into a dead-run.
all i saw was a bushy white tail tearing away from me.
but it was a doe.
but, i knew there was still a second deer nearby.
before i could even spot him, a second explosion, following the first's trail.

Sofa King
04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
now this was a buck.
my gun was up before i even saw him.
he was on a dead-run, straight away from me, a shot i would never, ever attempt in a million years.
but this all happened so fast that it was almost just reaction.
i made the decision to take the headshot, another thing i'd never done before.
he was on a straight line away from me, it just felt right.
bang.
the deer was down instantly, like someone just turned him off.
i crawled down the rocks, amazed that they had walked down there.
as i approached him, i was extremely happy.
it was only my second whitetail, and in the same acre-area i got my one the year before.
upon closer inspection, his head was in perfect shape.
how the hell did he die, where did i hit him?
i was quickly worried i somehow made a bad gut-shot.
nope.
at the moment i squeezed the trigger on his head, his back rose up sightly right after.
the bullet entered just below his back, straight up from his tail.
it ran right up the length of his spine and came out the front of his neck.
i was amazed, and happy as all hell.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/d419_zps1aec0057.jpg
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/deddeer/d433_zpsa0b04650.jpg

mbway
04-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Shot a crow with my old trusty 177 pellet gun. Lived in a residential area and the crows were out at first light making one hell of a racket. Saw one at the top of a tree big fir tree , would guess 80 yrds. Put sights a few feet above him and let er rip. like as if I was going to hit him and if I did would probably bounce off him at that distance anyway. Low and behold the bugger flippin drops!!!!! Not dead but mortally wounded and making one hell of a racket as he fell all the way down the tree. Now when these guys die other crows either come to watch or go into cannibal mode, not sure but within a couple of minutes there must have been 50 crows in that tree. Well "Now" the whole neighbourhood was awake, so I took the dog for a walk and watched as there were crows coming from everywhere to check out what was going on for at least 1/2 hour. Neighbours were out there standing and saying "why doesn't someone shoot those things". If they only knew.

I did the same thing!! Shot one off the power line. It flew 2 houses over then fell out of the air. 3 min later his buddies showed up and 10 min later the sky blackened and with all the noise the nieghbors were outside. Some one hollered" there having a wake for there friend". I hollored back" musta got hit by a car".

Vossie
04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Had plenty of wild ass shots in my previous African life. Hunting off pickup trucks are legal so you can imagine the gong show sometimes with 4 guys on the back. Not my best shot but makes for a good story was the ostrich. Now there is a tough target. Never had many of them on the farm so one day I see one way off in the distance, and he is already running, picked up my 7mm Mag, aim for the gearbox and let fly, Ostrich down. Drove up to him only to see that I hit his one kneecap. As you can imagine there is no way he can go on with one leg but he was still full of life. Second shot in the head, small target it is as well. Big male bugger and darn heavy to load with 1000 bloody horse flies biting us. Now I'm in BC, way more toned down, one shot is what most of them got.

mbway
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Had plenty of wild ass shots in my previous African life. Hunting off pickup trucks are legal so you can imagine the gong show sometimes with 4 guys on the back. Not my best shot but makes for a good story was the ostrich. Now there is a tough target. Never had many of them on the farm so one day I see one way off in the distance, and he is already running, picked up my 7mm Mag, aim for the gearbox and let fly, Ostrich down. Drove up to him only to see that I hit his one kneecap. As you can imagine there is no way he can go on with one leg but he was still full of life. Second shot in the head, small target it is as well. Big male bugger and darn heavy to load with 1000 bloody horse flies biting us. Now I'm in BC, way more toned down, one shot is what most of them got.

you eat it?

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2013, 12:29 AM
I got to the top of a ridge one time at dawn, just in time to see a nice 5 point about to walk into the brush...
I whistled while desperately dropping on my bipod, pushing off the tang safety, looking and holding my breath...
he'd stopped for a second and was looking at me up the hill- exhaled and eased the trigger back and nailed him
at 417 yards.
Small game, my dad and I were hunting west of Little Bill's Puddle on opening day, on our way to a good lookout.
We came around the corner to a field full of grouse, and we started blasting! Dad got his limit, I got mine minus
one, so I walked slowly up the road...a grouse in full flight came out of the trees to the right, flying left to the trees
on that side. I had my shotgun on my shoulder so I whipped it up into line with how he was flying, and shot when
I thought the muzzle was past his head...it was pointing at the edge of the trees on the left when I fired. I went to
look, thinking I'd missed, but Big Bird was doing a faceplant just inside the first line of trees! :-D

nap
04-11-2013, 01:56 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by nap http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1314890#post1314890)
, I dozed off in my tree stand

There. I filtered out the BS.

:-DGood one Pete:-D

Muliechaser
04-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Decent buck not to shabby. Like the parker hale ! Nice and weathered. Or aged should i say lol

j270wsm
04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
I just bought a ruger 10/22 and was out shooting gophers, a big raven does a fly by at about 60yds. I pull the rifle up and put the cross hairs above and in front, i pull the trigger and see its wings fold up and dive 25' into the dirt. I'm completely surprised, didn't expect to even come close to hitting it. Raven jumps up and starts hopping/running towards some bushes, 6 shots later he was down

sawmill
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I was driving the long way to town with the wifes youngest son,18 and attitude,we didn`t really get along that well.He spotted 4 nice whitie bucks out in a big opening,I stopped and got out with my .243 BLR and he said the last one is biggest.I got to the edge of the lease and got down on one knee and dropped him in his tracks.It wasn`t my longest shot,maybe 125 yards,but it was my best because I stood up,turned around and the kid was staring at me like I was magical.He helped my load it,skin and gut it and butcher it later.It was a great feeling to see the respect in his eyes.We get along much better after that and he wants to get his core now.

sawmill
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I just bought a ruger 10/22 and was out shooting gophers, a big raven does a fly by at about 60yds. I pull the rifle up and put the cross hairs above and in front, i pull the trigger and see its wings fold up and dive 25' into the dirt. I'm completely surprised, didn't expect to even come close to hitting it. Raven jumps up and starts hopping/running towards some bushes, 6 shots later he was down

You shouldn`t shoot Ravens,crows yes,ravens are the smartest bird in North America and it will f@ck up your Karma.Lots of people can`t tell the difference but crows flock,ravens are usually in pairs,husband and wife.

rides bike to work
04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
When I was 8 I use to shoot starlings in the back yard well one evening our family is getting all fancied up for a dinner out special occasion and in my best cloths running late I decide I need to shoot a starling off the porch so at 40 ft I hit the staling and its flapping around on the ground well my dad comes out pissed off that I'm muckin around when I should be getting ready. So he sees the bird flapping and I'm saying how I have to go finish it off. So in his best suite he grabs a pitch fork that's on the porch and spears this starling from 40 feet."there it's finished now get in the dam car"

Oh child hood memories.

curt
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
550yrds on the gps moose houston BC 1 shot double lung

Nimrod
04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Shooting starling reminded me When I was a kid growing up in the 70's I was for the most part foot loose and fancy free and totally unsupervised. being young and not knowing any better any bird the flew in the yard was fair game with my sling shot. That's when the obsession with hunting started stalking birds all day long. One day my dad and a bunch of his buddies where in the front yard having beers after work when I come through on the hunt sling shot in hand. Not paying any attention to them I'm looking in the trees when one of them says "hey kid you know how to shoot that thing" just then a nice fat old starling land in the top of a tall fire tree on the corner of the yard, the guys say "there hit that bird" I remember thinking the shot was a stretch so hail marry style I pull right back to my ear and let one rip, took the starlings head right off in a poof of feathers. All I remember was them all roaring saying HF nice F work, I was so pumped up with impressing these big guys but I remember acting totally calm and going to fetch my prize, the old man told that story for years.

mbway
04-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Shooting starling reminded me When I was a kid growing up in the 70's I was for the most part foot loose and fancy free and totally unsupervised. being young and not knowing any better any bird the flew in the yard was fair game with my sling shot. That's when the obsession with hunting started stalking birds all day long. One day my dad and a bunch of his buddiesn where in the front yard having beers after work when I come through on the hunt sling shot in hand. Not paying any attention to them I'm looking in the trees when one of them says "hey kid you know how to shoot that thing" just then a nice fat old starling land in the top of a tall fire tree on the corner of the yard, the guys say "there hit that bird" I remember thinking the shot was a stretch so hail marry style I pull right back to my ear and let one rip, took the starlings head right off in a poof of feathers. All I remember was them all roaring saying HF nice F work, I was so pumped up with impressing these big guys but I remember acting totally calm and going to fetch my prize, the old man told that story for years.

Awesome..would have loved to see that!!

panhead
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Tequila ... Bill's Bar ... Puerta Vallarta.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................

With your bleak and bitter personality I suspect the one thing you won’t be occupying, is a vagina.

sawmill
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Everclear....Glacier Inn.....Hyder Alaska.(Card is in my wallet still)

panhead
04-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Better put that on my life "to do" list.

Gateholio
04-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Best shot I ever made was on a flushing grouse on the last few minutes of opening day. I had taken almost 10 years off from hunting and that shot signaled my return to hunting.

BigSlapper
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Back in the 70's my Dad put a pellet gun in my hand at age 7, camped me out on the back deck and my job was to keep the birds out of our 4 hazelnut and 6 fruit trees. Got to be pretty good at 40 yds with that damn pellet gun ...

mikeman20
04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Last season:

Took a two week trip to the Kootenays, my girlfriend and i were doing a large loop around behind the ridge and then over the top, it was a few hours into the hike and we had previously seen TONES of muley does in the area.
We came around a bend and the wind changed directions; I immediately heard a deer "danger" snort from in the thick brush to our left.
I froze, my girlfriend didnt hear it but froze too when she saw my reaction. The wind changed direction again and blew the other way, so we put about twenty yards inbetween us and crept slowly into the bush. The deer were nowhere to be seen, I hadnt heard any footsteps or any typical muley bouncing so I figured they were there somewhere, and I signalled to my girlfriend to stop.
We waited for what seemed like an eternity, which was probably like two minutes... and the wind changed back towards where the deer snort sound came from.
Almost instantly I saw two muley does bounce away about 40-50 yards infront of me, and a second later a whitetail buck who was bedded with them.
I was pretty confused as to why the whitetail was hanging with the muleys but I guess he was a horney little bugger and didnt care. (i had a muley and a whitetail tag, so i wasnt worried about shooting the wrong deer anyways)
He bolted away and I wasnt able to get an ethical shot, my girlfriend couldnt either... But a second later to my right I saw the two muley does bounce around a corner and come back into view, running perpendicular to me.
I was 90% sure whitetail buck would pop out there just like the muleys did, so i took aim.
Around the corner he came, I tracked him in my scope and about 10 yards into the clear running perpendicular to me i hit him with my 30-06 barnes tsx 168grain handload right in the lungs. He hit the ground a split second later and didnt move after that. The shot distance was only about 50 yards but i was extremely happy with my shot placement on a running deer, and both mine and my girlfriends hunting skills that day.

If he had have been a muley buck it would have been harder, accounting for his bounce would have made that a risky shot.

bowhunterbruce
04-15-2013, 05:13 AM
from the time a gun was first put into my hands i would shoot it until i knew it, that was until we borrowed a 7mm for a moose hunt i went on with the ol man.
he gets this gun from a friend of his for me to use as we were going into grizz country.
a week goes bye and no moose, we make the dession to move camp and get all packed up with the exception of the tent and coffee pot. plan was to leave first thing in the morning for a new location. at last light we hear some faint splashing down by the lake. i load 3 into the clip and head down the 200 yard trail and spot the biggest sheets of plywood walking across the far treeline. 3 shots later and that bull was still slowly walking. i holler up to the ol man to bring more bullets, he appears only to ask if im shooting ducks. he didnt hear my request of more ammo. i point out the bull, give him the gun so he could watch through the scope while i ran back up the hill.
i return and hand him the shells. he loads 3 and fires. as he fires whats now the 6th shot the bull starts running back the way he had came from, i bellow out a long cow call and the bull turns towards us comming down the right side of that lake. my turn to shoot and as i find the bull in the scope he turns and starts up the hill quartering away. i follow through his body and as the x hairs reach the top of his rack i squeezed of the lone shot .the bull rears up and flips over dead and rolls back down to lake side.
upon opening him up i had took off the bottom of his heart.
not sure of the distance but it would have been close to 5 feet of drop for the bullet.
had 6 grouse on the side of the road once all lined up in a row with about 5 yards between each of them. again with dad, he hits the brakes. i got out and hit the ground pron, aimed for the last ones head and took out 5 of the 6 with the 12 ga.
after years of never getting an elk finally got my chance on a hunt a couple years ago. came across an open field and he was running towards the treeline. i cut him off so i could identify his rack, as he ran by me to my right i noticed the 1 inch 6th point. i got off the bike ,pulled out the gun from the scabbard and put a round into it. as i found the bull in the x hairs he went through a slough where all i could see was his rack, when he came out of the depression i had the x hair where i wanted them, he stopped and the edge of the trees and the bullet nailed him almost instantly. ranged and gps confirmed 486 through the bottom of his heart.
bow shot 56 yards last day of bow season 4 point muley, broadside through the willows, i had to recover next day which didnt go over to well with a local who called a co. after taking them out to the location everything worked out and it help i had 2 work buddies at the time.
bhb

slayer B
04-15-2013, 10:28 AM
My favorite has to be the grouse I hip shot with my single shot 12 guage. I was following the bird off the side of the road and I lost it in the thick bush. I was slowly walking forward half crouched to get under some low branches when it busted out in front of me. I just cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger as he popped up and down he went. Still get a smile every time I think of it.

Islandeer
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Oh jeez, me too!! ouch!!

best shot on my 150 EK whitey,70 yds between 2 firs as he was on the full rut trot,shaking like a leaf, let his head go by then the next brown fur patch bang. spine shot!!
yah its the one in my avtar!!

anglo-saxon
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
January 4th 2007 on my acreage in Alberta. Just after midnight (and halfway through my second large single malt), my shepheard/collie cross starts barking outside. My 243 was by theback door, so I grabbed it and headeed out to see what all the fuss was about. The snow was blowing pretty hard, but "Billy" was indicating directly North. I couldn't see a thing. I grabbed my big spotlight and to a look. Mostly all I could see was clouds of snow flakes reflecting at me. I wasn't satisfied there was anything there at all and told "Billy" to quite whining, but he persisted. I shone the spotlight one more time and then thought I saw a glint of green eyes way out there. I kept the light on it and as the blowing snow cleared momentarily there it was...just a couple of green eyes. A coyote running right-to-left across the bottom of my property, past the dugout. Looked to be a long shot, still it was only a coyote! I rested the pistol grip of the spot light on the fence post, holding it with my left hand and rested the rifle (a little NEF handi-rifle) across the top of the light (it had a rubber "T" grip on top). I lit up that dog again and it looked right at me as it was trotting along. I could only see the green eyes reflecting at me. I gave it a little lead and aimed just a bit high and fired. I saw the eyes flip up and that was that. Next morning I walked down there with "Billy" and my wife. I'd clicked my GPS at the fencepost I'd used as a rest. When we got down there to where I thought the dog would be, he wasn't there. "Billy" didn't pick anything up, either. I thought maybe I'd missed and just scared him. Then "Billy" grossed the fence into the nighbour's big field (we had over 7,000 acres of ranch rurrounding us) and headed up the slope. I thought there was no way he was that far but then "Billy" was on him. When we got to him, turned out it wasn't a coyote at all, but a red fox. Lots of them around there. The bullet (58 gr Hornady V-Max ballistic tip) had taken his lower jaw off and opened up both sides of his throat. I have no doubt the hydrostatic shock put him out the moment he was hit. A little critter, not much bigger than my cat. Maybe 30" at most, nose to tail and around 15" tall. I checked the GPS, and it was 278 meters (that's 304 yds for my American friends :-)). My wife looked at the fox, then back at the fence where I'd fired from and said, "You shot that from there last night?". I gave her my coolest, Clint Eastwood, "Yep", but inside I was saying "Who's yer daddy, now?". I didn't mention to her that it was snowing, and that the fox was running (or that my senses were at least slightly dulled, courtessy of the Balvenie distillery!), because that would just be bragging!! ;-)

Darksith
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM
150yds no rest with my 30-06. Shot a coyote in the neck at 16 years old. First animal shot with my '06

pappy
04-15-2013, 12:15 PM
No hailmary shots for me, 319 yards was the furthest. My coolest shot was hitting a wasp that just landed with my bb gun when I was a kid. I wore that gun out so I got to know it really good.

wicket
04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
5 point whitetail buck 2 corn rows away 72 inches to be exact. i was on the ground sitting beside a fence and he was walking to me so i just let him come. Im aweful proud that I was able to draw my recurve and blow a zwickey delta thru him. something to be said for the smooooth draw of a recurve

mikeboehm
04-15-2013, 05:50 PM
89 meter whitetail buck with my bow

Jelvis
04-15-2013, 06:05 PM
My best shot got two deer, a big whitetail buck and a nice muley big four point, came over a ridge saw the two bucks facing each other, I had one shot up the shoot, so I flipped my bowie knife into a flat stump sharp edge facing me, shot at the sharp edge and split the bullet getting both bucks with one shot.
Jel .. Split the nosler ..

Big Lew
04-15-2013, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Jelvis;1317660]My best shot got two deer, a big whitetail buck and a nice muley big four point, came over a ridge saw the two bucks facing each other, I had one shot up the shoot, so I flipped my bowie knife into a flat stump sharp edge facing me, shot at the sharp edge and split the bullet getting both bucks with one shot.
Jel .. Split the nosler ..[/QUOTE
"Jel", wasn't that the same time as when your knife flipped through the air after being hit by your nosler and drove 'blade-to-the-hilt' into the chest of a big tom cougar that was stalking those two bucks, or was that another time?

ruger#1
04-15-2013, 07:14 PM
My best shot got two deer, a big whitetail buck and a nice muley big four point, came over a ridge saw the two bucks facing each other, I had one shot up the shoot, so I flipped my bowie knife into a flat stump sharp edge facing me, shot at the sharp edge and split the bullet getting both bucks with one shot.
Jel .. Split the nosler .. This should be on the meds thread.

Glassman
04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
A quartering away 275 yard head shot at a cow elk in an open field. I was sitting and using a bi-pod, shooting my trusty .270. Head shot was great but I was actually leading the cow and aiming for the spot behind the ear closer to the neck. Hit the top of the head and made a deep V thru the skull.

Phreddy
04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
I was fishing the rip off the lighthouse on Quadra Island one day and thought I had a pretty good fish on, but it turned out to be an old brass ships lantern that was getting pushed around by the tide. Anyway, when I pulled it up it was still lit.............................ok.......make you a deal......you knock a few yards off that shot and I'll blow the lantern out. lol Just kidding horshur. That must have been an awesome shot though.

todbartell
04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
my best shot was a 20 yard poke through the shoulder of a 6x6 bull elk after sneaking up from 200 yards

greybark
04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
While sitting in a treestand during a rainstorm I was treated with a giant Bull Moose coming to my call . Than I realised that I forgot to bring my bow . Instinctively grabbed my 10-40s Ziess binos , looked through the big end grabbed that sucker and drowned it in a rain puddle .
Honestly, I still have those binos .
cheers

mbway
04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Jel .. Split the nosler ..

phffft... Who hasn't done that?

Bushbum40
04-17-2013, 07:04 AM

You musta had one hell of a hold over. :-?

treehugger
04-17-2013, 09:40 PM

maybe you should sell your gps and buy a scope... just saying
no really... nice shot

horshur
04-17-2013, 10:07 PM
maybe you should sell your gps and buy a scope... just saying
no really... nice shot

it wasn't a nice shot it was just an unlucky wolf

mbway
04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Too many good stories to let this one die.......

steelheadSABO
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Did a hail mary on a running 4 point a couple years ago, I walked up to the edge of a clearing and as i looked down all i could see was a blur of mule deer and antlers running for the tree line. So I quickly lined up the old 308. on him and blam but he just kept running so I cycled the lever and boom the bullet when down through his spine and exited through the heart which dropped him in his tracks.

BearSupreme
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM

I got this buck at about 250 yards last year. He was walking away pushing a smaller buck out of his area and smacked him dead center with my 300 win mag. The bullet deflected down through his neck, pretty lucky shot lol :D

scottwh
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
First buck I ever shot was running on a slight up hill grade, away from me around 250 yards. As a new hunter at the time, I was excited and went for a head shot with my 7mm mag. The bullet went between the antlers as I seen the dirt blow up in front of him. This turned him sideways. I dropped to my knee, led him a bit and shot. I thought I missed again. I hiked up to the land mark I picked and found him. Bullet went between ribs on both sides and took out the lungs. Damn was I a happy camper!

Chopper
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
delete delete

j270wsm
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
You shouldn`t shoot Ravens,crows yes,ravens are the smartest bird in North America and it will f@ck up your Karma.Lots of people can`t tell the difference but crows flock,ravens are usually in pairs,husband and wife.

If it looks like a raven or sounds like a raven, I'm going to try and shoot it.

moosinaround
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
379 long paces, black bear lumbering across a hill face. Aimed on his nose and put it through the engine room. 300 win mag with 180 gr blue box feds, 3x9x40 Tasco world class scope too! Beat that suckers!!! Moosin

buckdragger
04-30-2013, 09:36 PM
408 yards quarter away through the back of the bucks head!

rcar
04-30-2013, 10:58 PM
I was probably 15. I was shooting a .17 pellet gun and had shot over 25,000 "rounds" over the past few years.

I walked up on a pond that I had shot hundreds of birds over the years but that also held some monster catfish. I sat down and dropped in my line. Then as usual picked up my pellet gun and started shooting whatever I felt like.

This day was different. There were hundreds of Monarch butterflies over the pond.

I shot 3 in a row out of the sky in full flight.

To this day I am still taken aback...

troutseeker
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Shot a woodcock I flushed, on the fly with a .177 pellet gun when I was a kid. Still makes me smile.

6pt_elk_wannabe
05-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Was using a .410 and spooked up 3 blue grouse while quading, ran into the blown over logs and thick but low brush, spooked one up across the road and took off flying, took the shot at around 35(ish) yards and hit it dead on and it just dropped mid flight. The reason it was a good shot is because I spun around and was in the middle of hopping over logs aha

proguide66
05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuWZt8lJusY&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA no sites , finger release! lol

wicket
05-03-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuWZt8lJusY&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA no sites , finger release! lol
good vid....you do know thats how people uses to shoot in the olden days eh:-D and some of us still do:shock:
couldnt sleep last nite so i watched all your vids...great job. as a duck guide i know that putting stuff infront of people seems to be the easy part of the job dealing with the people from start to finish is the hardest and you seem to have that down. keep up the good work.

Wade
05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Ok my best shot ever was on my very first buck. He was a two pt black tail buck that come from north west bay. I was using my ol mans model 70 win 30-06 fw.we were road hunting on the quad, we spotted a deer about 200 yards off the low side of the road looking at us, ol man put the glasses on him and says " it's a two pt wade, why don't you shoot him" so I rested over the seat of the quad and dad says put the cross hairs right on his nose. So I'm lined up on his nose and as I'm squeezing the trigger I notice the deer turns his head to the side and the gun fired. The buck was dead on his feet. When we got to the buck the bullet entered right be hind his right ear and exited right behind his left ear. There was absolutely no wasted meat on him at all.

IslandBC
05-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Found the bull master

brenden
05-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Fired 20 shots at a 16" x 16" steel gong at 400 yards and hit it 17 times.
Completely Freehand.
Six witnesses.
tikka t3 25-06 85 grain ballistic tips.
April 3rd 2013
Going tuesday to try and break my record.