PDA

View Full Version : stone sheep

tarzan
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
hello all, if anyone has any advise on sheep hunting 7-49, 7-50 it would be greatly appreciated. gear, access, etc. i shoot a T3 stainless in 7mm mag. i will be looking to buy tent, and backpack and boots specifically.

604redneck
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
solo or with someone? how many days? how much can u comftorably carry for 8 hours of hiking? ive got a kelty gunnison pro 2 man tent its not ultra light but light enough for me and its nice and water proof plus easy to set up in about 5 minutes. I used an external frame pack from alpz outdoors last season guiding and did a few goat trips up the mountain 4-5 days at a time and came back with a goat each time as well(which the clients generally dont carry much of) im 5'10" 165lbs and carried about 50lbs up for 5 hours thru some steep and slippery country, i could probably hike all day with 50 lbs on my back if i was taking breaks every so often. I came down with a pack pushing 100 lbs i just took some breaks here and there but the knee that i injured earlier in life was sore at thee bottom. i just have a pair of danner pronghorn boots(i would not buy them again personally but they still get put on my feet everyday and are still in great shape). This year i will be using a badlands 4500 pack for all trips! spend the money on the optics if u can! other than that keep glassing and dont give up or get down on urself cause the weather sucks or ur not seeing anything.

04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
hello all, if anyone has any advise on sheep hunting 7-49, 7-50 it would be greatly appreciated. gear, access, etc. i shoot a T3 stainless in 7mm mag. i will be looking to buy tent, and backpack and boots specifically.

Good boots, and good glass are crucial, IMHO

BlacktailStalker
04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Lots of good threads on all of the above you could read through using the search function.
Lots of Meindl boot fans, Hilleberg tents and packs likely being the most difficult of the three to decide on but Mystery ranch, kifaru and barneys are likely one of the three you want.
Everything comes down to perfect fit for the application, this is crucial to a successful trip if mountain hunting is new to you.
Cant help you with sheep because I don't know much there but good luck.

tarzan
04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
thanks for the info, i am just researching now for the 2014 season and am training hard and will start to accumulate gear and knowledge. i have spoken to Kevin Willis at riverjet adventures regarding hunting area and access. anyone have any comment on his service ?

digger dogger
04-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Great service from Kevin, He's in the right area for sheep.
I've never hired RJA, but know a number of people that have....
Scrap the meindles, and try some Asolo boots. :-) But buy the Hilleberg...

04-10-2013, 08:54 AM
thanks for the info, i am just researching now for the 2014 season and am training hard and will start to accumulate gear and knowledge. i have spoken to Kevin Willis at riverjet adventures regarding hunting area and access. anyone have any comment on his service ?

You might also want to consider Steamboat Mountain Outfitters out of Fort Nelson. They can get you into some great sheep country. PM me if you want more info.