PDA

View Full Version : Target Shooting in the Ladner Marshes

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Does anybody know if you can target shoot in the Ladner Marches? According to the FVSAH map, it looks like it's open to Firearms.

Does this mean I can take out the '06 and setup a few targets?
What about some clays with lead shot, since I am not hunting?

Hmmm,....

bandit
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
That whole area is closed to single projectiles from memory

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
no according to the Fraser Valley Maps.
The area is grey, and is considered open to firearms.
They do have other colour codes for shotguns with shot.

Moe.JKU
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I think it says somewhere that you need to have steel shot. And there is no single projectile.

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
here's the link to the FVSAH map http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

No lead shot,... maybe as it does say this (cause it says water side):
No person shall use lead shot for any purpose when
discharging a firearm on any dyke or the water side (seaward or
river side) of any dyke in the Municipality of Delta, including
Westham Island, or any foreshore dyke facing Mud Bay,
Boundary Bay or Roberts Bank.

Dano
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
It's a bad idea even if its allowed. At this time of year there is more public out and about, shooting in these types of areas only serves to draw negative reactions from other users of the area and it will cause them to contact newspapers and council about it. Lead shot? You know it's also a bad idea because its not allowed there for a reason. Waterfowl feed there all year around.
You can shoot clays at Vancouver Gun Club on Sideway near Richmond Auto mall, they have Sporting Clays, trap, and 5 stand. You'll have to find a club for rifle shooting, like was said, no single projectiles (including slugs).

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Why is everyone saying this "no single projectiles (including slugs)"?
Where are you getting this info, or are you making it up?
I don't see that anywhere in the Fraser Valley regs.

I know about VGC. Shot there many times.

So what if I want to plink with my .22?
Why couldn't I grab a box for a target, jump in the boat, and setup in the marsh?

It beats driving over an hour to a range.

I am not thinking about shooting off the dyke, where there is people around. BUT i do believe that legal as well. Why hide?

pnbrock
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Dude stop making waves ,we don't need the public getting bent over us shooting year round in the marsh. But my guess is your just trying to piss others off.

limit time
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
It looks like whit with grey stripes is for single projectile. I see what your saying though. You will probably find city bylaw says no single projectile.

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Not trying to piss others off.
Where's the closest rifle range to Richmond?
Poco?
That's an hour away from Richmond.

The marsh is literally 10 mins away.
It would be fun to plink with the .22 out there, and occasionaly shoot a deer gun.

I hear what you mean about ruffling the feathers. It just kinda pisses me off that I can do something that is (maybe) legal, and lawful, without pissing others off.

Kinda like the gun that drove around with a gun in their gun rack.

Johnny G1
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
It still comes down to lead shot, unless your 22 shoots brass or copper bullets????

Crazy_Farmer
04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Grey areas and white areas are shotgun only areas with shot only. Says so right on the map I have.

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Read the maps again.
On the map with Richmond on it.
All grey or white says is Use of Firearms permitted.

On the other map (1st map) that is centered around Abbotsford, there is a light grey, that says shotgun only, rifle slugs permitted.
(not sure why you couldn't shoot a sabot though).

Crazy_Farmer
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I believe it's an error because all my other year copies of the map state shotgun only. This yrs I had to pull up and see it just stayed firearm not shotgun. I can post pictures of the 2010 maps that say shotguns

Just like how the regs said you could hunt geese yr round.

Unless they changed it. Maybe you're right. Just can't see them allowing rifles that close to the city and in such a flat area.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2012.pdf

4ptbuck
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't have an old copy.
I believe you that they may have changed it though.

Probably is a bad idea to target shoot out there though.

I could, I think, but won't.

Foxton Gundogs
04-09-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't have an old copy.
I believe you that they may have changed it though.

Probably is a bad idea to target shoot out there though.

I could, I think, but won't.You amaze me why would you argue the point on here, if you really want to know call the cos they will set you straight 1 way or the other then you will know not have to guess but I think you will be surprised at the answer. get a contact name as well when you do get the answer and post up.

drbb
04-10-2013, 04:15 AM
No lead shot near water bodies, plain and simple.

limit time
04-10-2013, 05:42 AM
No lead shot near water bodies, plain and simple.

Are you referring to the area in question or everywhere ?

longrifle
04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Municipal bylaw prohibits the discharge of firearms outside of hunting season...iirc

'rifle

drbb
04-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Are you referring to the area in question or everywhere ?

Any water body with waterfowl or fish; the animals can die a slow death due to lead poisoning (often through digestion )

limit time
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Any water body with waterfowl or fish; the animals can die a slow death due to lead poisoning (often through digestion )

I can't find that in the regs, can you give me the page it's on? Thanks.

dru88
04-12-2013, 04:09 PM
The no single projectiles is a municipal bylaw.call the local police and ask that's what I did.They told me no lead, no clays on water side of the dyke.For target shooting with your shotgun they told me to ask a farmer if you could use there field for clay shooting

crazy ducker
04-13-2013, 04:41 PM
make sure you ask the farmer just don't go shooting in a field and cause damage to there crops. most farmers will say no

drbb
04-16-2013, 04:00 AM
I can't find that in the regs, can you give me the page it's on? Thanks.

I cannot provide exact reference. I might have read this in the CORE manual or a government document about reasons behind laws, not the laws themselves.

Sorry I couldn't be more clear.

Marsh Hawk
04-22-2013, 12:53 AM
The Ladner Marsh is not the place to be shooting a big bore of any kind for target practice. Too flat and too close to too many things. The one poster is also correct. Delta's Firearms Bylaw states "No single projectile in Delta except at an authorized range of which there is not one at this time.

Mark McDonald - Delta Hunting Reg. Advisory Committee

nano
12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Friendly reminder to those not familiar with the area out here that shooting clays off the dyke is NOT cool!!! For the second time this week people have been shooting clays at the foot of 34 th in Ladner by the dyke and one group tonight had a local bird watcher and the person that lives closest to the dyke record the people's activities on video, then photograph vehicles and license plates and then had the authorities attend the scene. It goes without saying that it makes all of the people using the area look bad when jack asses are shooting clays right off the dyke and leaving their mess behind let alone upsetting the groups of people that were set up in the fields close by and others hunting further down the marsh to have to deal with their hunt being interrupted not only by the idiotic activity but the friendly full check over by the local boys in uniform for the last 20 minutes of legal shooting light. The ironic thing is the two people that called in the activity are hunter friendly but all it takes is for joe q anti to see activities like what has been happening out here lately and another area of public land will be gone for everyone to hunt.

X..2 I was out at Boundary bay this afternoon scouting and took a walk and was shocked to see busted clays next to the dyke and #7.5 trap loads left out in the marsh. If you want to shoot clays go over to your local club. We do not need this. To everyone else's best of luck in the late season and happy new year!

blindman
12-30-2013, 05:09 AM
If you look at the legend showing the rules regarding shooting, there is a box showing white with gray stripes that says "Use of Rifles and Shotguns with single projectiles permitted." So if the area you are discussing doesn't have the angled gray stripes, it means "No way, Jose."

3mk
12-31-2013, 04:59 PM
on the fraser Valley special area map is reads 100 meters off the dyke and no target practice outside all dykes in delta. This area is an actual delta. Not meaning the municipality of delta.

bigredchev
01-02-2014, 05:37 AM
and what is your 30-06 or 22 skips accorss the glassy water and carrries on for a bit?? not very bright. go to a proper range or out in the sticks where the back drop is proper and solid.

Kudu
01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Does anybody know if you can target shoot in the Ladner Marches? According to the FVSAH map, it looks like it's open to Firearms.

Does this mean I can take out the '06 and setup a few targets?
What about some clays with lead shot, since I am not hunting?

Hmmm,....

Just to clear up any ambiguity - not legal or cool.... Go to the range to shoot your rifle or bust clays!

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/7e0a3043ad1cdecfab551de630272a05_zps5e60a1eb.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/126148cf3abf65c56ed73e4707eaaef1_zps88eaa87b.jpg

whitlers
01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Agreed. Even if it was legal it is a stupid idea.

NitwiT
01-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Just to stir the pot, what about clays with STEEL shot...

Dano
01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
That's a bad idea too and could get very expensive.....
this thread is done.