PDA

View Full Version : Turkey locator calls in BC?

Krico
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Wondering what kind of success guys have had using locator calls, like crow or owl, for locating gobblers here in bc? Any tips on when/how/how much for best results? When is it ok to use my box or diaphragm hen calls for locating? I have to travel all the way from PG so effective locating strategies are key as I can do no preseason scouting for birds. Really hoping to make it happen this year, my 7 yr old is coming along again and was super bummed out last year when we struck out.

.300WSMImpact!
04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
I have not had luck with anything other than a gobble, tried the crow, owl and coyote, granted I am a poor owl and coyote caller. What I have had more luck with is finding foot prints in the dirt or snow and hiked the area gobbling every 15 mins stay just below snow line mid day, or if you have an idea where they are hang around snow line early morning or late day coming and going from the roost, what area are you going to?

OutWest
04-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Have had good luck with locator calls in the morning before they fly out of the roost. Just about anything will work - Owls, crow and when you accidentally set off your truck alarm will do the trick.

Crow call is the most commonly used one by the guys in our group and gets 'em going every time, if they're around.

gbrown001
04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
After reading an on line suggestion a few years ago, I tried my goose call as a locator. There are geese in the area I like to hunt, and I've found that the toms do gobble in return to the goose call. Just something else to try.

GoatGuy
04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Crow call has worked great for us..... same with slamming the truck door hahaha

Krico
04-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Goose call. Never thought of that one. I'll have to throw mine in the call bag. Keep the advice coming guys!

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2013, 12:15 AM
always used a crow magnum call, then get into the tom's neighbourhood before he drops....17HMR, he's never out of range...

pipe-it
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Crow call or car horn

bc_archer
04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
i find gobbling call works well for locating.