PDA

View Full Version : Junior hunters

j270wsm
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
I have a few questions about junior hunters. April 19th My son will be 10 and will be getting his junior liscence. I assume he is allowed to hunt during the youth/senior seasons, but I can't find anything in the regs about it. Only thing is see, says youth hunters must be under 18. The other question is how do I fill out the harvest survey if he is successful during the 9 day youth/senior elk season?

adriaticum
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Youth Licence
Effective April 1, 2013, an expanded age range for the Youth Hunting Licence will be in effect, making it available for youth ages 10 to 17 years, inclusive. Previously, the age range of the youth (‘junior’) hunting licence was 10 to 13 years. It is anticipated the new licence will be available at Service BC locations and local vendors no later than March 20, 2013.

Expanding the age range of the youth hunting licence aims to ensure that hunting remains affordable for youth and their families. It also makes it easier for youth ages 14 to 17 (inclusive) to give hunting a try and to have more mentorship opportunities as they are no longer required to first complete the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) course. A youth who is a B.C. resident and has completed CORE may purchase an adult hunting licence; however, a Hunter Number Card (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/hunter_numbers.html) is first required. As previously required, a parent or guardian must purchase, as well as hold, the youth hunting licence on behalf of the youth. To purchase the youth hunting licence, the parent or the guardian must sign an “Acknowledgement of Responsibility” form, confirming that the parent or guardian will be fully responsible for the actions of his or her child or ward while the child or ward is hunting or carrying a firearm. Youth (ages 10 to 17, inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by, and under the close personal supervision of, an adult 18 years or age or older, who holds a hunting licence (unless exempted) and meets the qualifications as a supervising hunter.
Supervising Hunter For Youth
A supervising hunter must be 18 years of age or older, hold a hunting licence (other than an initiation hunting licence) or be exempted from holding a hunting licence, and meet the prescribed qualifications.
The prescribed qualifications are:

if the person is a resident, the person must hold a resident hunter number card (unless exempted);
if the person is a non-resident or non-resident alien, the person must have passed a hunter safety training course anywhere in Canada or the USA;
the person must have held a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, in B.C. (unless exempted), or a licence to hunt elsewhere, in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year;
if the person is an Indian residing in B.C., paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply and the person must have received training in hunting and previously hunted lawfully without supervision, and
the person must not be prohibited from carrying or possessing a firearm.

The supervising hunter may accompany no more than two youths at one time (or no more than two initiation licence holders, or one youth and one initiation licence holder).Bag Limits
Individual species licences may not be purchased under the youth hunting licence; youth under this licence do not have an individual bag limit for game. The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game killed by a youth must be accounted for and is part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
A B.C. resident youth who holds a valid expanded youth hunting licence may hunt in a Limited Entry Hunt (LEH) if accompanied by and under the close supervision of an adult who holds a valid species licence and a valid LEH authorization. The supervising hunter must cancel the species licence when an animal is taken and it is part of their bag limit.
If the youth, on whose behalf a youth hunting licence has been issued, is hunting with a licensed guide, the prescribed qualifications in item (a) to (c) do not apply to the supervising hunter and the youth is allowed their own bag limits for small game only.

j270wsm
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for that info, but i still need to know about hunting during the youth season. The cow/calf season we want to hunt is only for youth and seniors. Since my son shoots my tags, then technically I don't hold a valid tag or at least that's how I read it.

adriaticum
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that info, but i still need to know about hunting during the youth season. The cow/calf season we want to hunt is only for youth and seniors. Since my son shoots my tags, then technically I don't hold a valid tag or at least that's how I read it.

Check the regs for that.

Jim Prawn
04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
The way I see it you're good to go - and I know of several others who have hunted youth seasons with junior licenses. I'd get him the core book and get him looking thru it asap. You can challenge the test any time or put him thru the course. My son Riley passed the day after his tenth birthday - not by much, but he made it. Then he can cut his own tags! For absolute confidence you can email the CO where you plan to hunt and get the answer right from the guys who would be enforcing it.
Good Luck!
JP

Weatherby Fan
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

In the past a youth hunter that doesn't have his core or possess his own license that is hunting under your supervision on a
“Acknowledgement of Responsibility” uses your tags, so in this case yes he would use you Elk tag.

shottyshooter
04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Hey J -I have the same question and the regs don't seem to specifically say you can cut your (adult) tag in a youth season when your youth is the shooter, nor do the seem to say you can't.

I'll try to post back when I get around to getting an answer from a CO

j270wsm
04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Since the regs don't say much about junior hunters, I called the CO's. I was told that here in the EK's the CO's discussed this issue and have agreed that junior hunters can hunt during the youth and senior season, but I was told to contact the closest conservation office if I'm going hunting in another region and make sure that it's allowed.

Steeleco
04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
That is good news for you and the kid, but it screams "problematic" If the Co's agree and that's all good with them, great, but what of the game check 3 regions away on your way home. If it's good in the hunted region, then is should be good everywhere and clearly noted in the regs so there's no "he said, she said" issues on the side of the road.

It would be good if the Co you spoke with would forward that in an e-mail with his contact info for safe keeping!

shottyshooter
05-07-2013, 04:06 PM
A Junior hunter can hunt the Youth Only Season when supervised by an adult hunter who is cutting his tags for animals the Junior Hunter takes. See e-mail below:

Thank you for your email dated May 3, 2013, regarding junior hunting licenses. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

All hunters under the age of 18 are permitted to hunt in the junior hunting seasons, regardless of what class of licence they possess. The Fish, Wildlife, and Habitat Management Branch is committed to recruiting young hunters into the sport and encourage youth hunters to participate in youth only opportunities. All hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a licensed hunter 18 years of age or older. Junior licences do not come with species licenses. If a youth hunter harvests an animal under the authority of a junior hunting licence the harvest comes off the bag limit of the accompanying adult hunter. If this harvest occurs during the youth only season the accompanying adult cancels the appropriate species licence before handling the harvested animal. My recommendation is that the youth and adult remain in each other’s company during the duration of the hunting trip, if a Conservation Officer stops you and you have, for example, an antlerless deer in your possession during a period when only youth are permitted to harvest antlerless deer and there is no youth present you can expect to answer some questions. If the youth is with you and in possession of a junior licence, and you are in possession of your basic licence and a cancelled species licence the questions should be much easier and straight forward.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions or require clarification.

Regards,

Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca