PDA

View Full Version : Zip It

Apolonius
04-07-2013, 06:35 AM
We all read about shortage of game at this or that location or no fish at the favoured lake.We always seem to blame others and Natives always included.The biggest danger is us.Todays electronic age has done good and bad.In this forum and others we all mention "names" of places.There are lots of people doing that and it spreads like a wild fire.I do try to help if i can and i am the first to admit i asked and received help ...but always in a private message.And always about places that would not affect the population.Like ,where is a good area for Dall sheep...well it is so controled by LEH that it makes a little if any difference.But if you dont want your fishing honey hole to be called just a "hole" because there is no fish just Zip it.And your Sangri la, might be Angry la.Private message doesn't solve the problem but it contains it.There is a lot more "fishing"in this site than hunting!!!

digger dogger
04-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Good post AP, It tears the ass out of me, when I read post about a descent buck gets shot, so close to the city.
Then some hero says, ya I went to that spot/valley/mountain ect, and I got one too.
It's not the regular 1-200 posters, It's the other 8000 members from the BIG city that will whore out the spot in short order..
Like Apolonius said, !$%#in ZIP IT!!!
15000 members on hbc, how many are lurkers, from bigger metropolis's???

ruger#1
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
That reminds me. Hey every one Zip-It lake has lots of good fishing.

adriaticum
04-07-2013, 07:34 AM
7 billion is the problem.

limit time
04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Reminds me of that other thread, CRY ME A RIVER...

04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, general hunting is one thing, the more specialized hunts such as fly in's and back packing for sheep or other cherished species don't apply to most on hunt sites, takes dedicated types to do what is required and the truth is more talk the talk the do the do. l'll agree that modern technology has enabled beginners to obtain info a lot easier then in the past, but that isn't loose lips. Check out the guiding outfitters who all have websites, combine it with google earth and what ever other programs a guy has available with gps technology to help out, and without a word from anyone you can do a lot of home work yourself.
As far as general hunting and freezer material, I've hunted with, and helped out a few out of town hunters from this site who had the names of really "hot" spots in the north Okanagan to hunt........too bad most locals have been aware of these "hot spots" for years.
Hunting sites such as HBC and others have enabled us to communicate and exchange info like never before, but reality is there aren't very many places that aren't known by others. Hunting numbers have grown as the population has increased, you can't make more land so we have more hunting pressure on the more accessible areas, get off the beaten trails and human type encounters thin right out.

Apolonius
04-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Replies, to cry me a river,,,when you go to your spot next year that was posted and it is so crowded ,you will be crying a river.To 416.I do agree specialized stuff is a little different ....although ....last season an area that was mentioned on this and some other sites....got a kill of FIFTEEN Rams.Now that it is special/dedicated hunting.People are selling/trading info today at an alarming rate.And hunter numbers are down,but disposable income,and accessibility makes all the difference.The fifteen rams???only dedicated guys.If you would go there and if you go "up there" the parking lot is like a walmart one, with Jet boat trailers.Exchange of info about hunting is good.Posting a spot is not.All this spots are good because it can sustain the usual numbers.Once the balance is gone so is the game.And finally to all that shared info with me I Never mentioned it to anyone.It helps that i am more of a solo guy.I did give good info to some guy about sheep with the understanding it is only for them ,but it was traded.Live and learn.

Gateholio
04-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Most people only think that their "honey hole" is secret. It's not. Someone has been there before, someone is going there the week before or the week after you were there too. :)

Salty
04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Nothing new here information has always been passed, good stories about xyz lake or big buck ridge causing swarming mentality. Before the internet it was through the tackle shops, gun clubs, articles in BC Outdoors etc. etc. The pulp mills used to be a lot of fun in Prince George. Start a rumour about a 5 pound rainbow that came out of some sucker infested duck pond and by noon 700 guys have heard about it. The following weekend at the duck pond? Priceless. lol

BTW, there's a group of massive mule deer bachelors just off the hwy at Spences on the way to Merrit. Left side, scope up by the tree line, there's like 10 of them up there.

Gateholio
04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Nothing new here information has always been passed, good stories about xyz lake or big buck ridge causing swarming mentality. Before the internet it was through the tackle shops, gun clubs, articles in BC Outdoors etc. etc. The pulp mills used to be a lot of fun in Prince George. Start a rumour about a 5 pound rainbow that came out of some sucker infested duck pond and by noon 700 guys have heard about it. The following weekend at the duck pond? Priceless. lol

BTW, there's a group of massive mule deer bachelors just off the hwy at Spences on the way to Merrit. Left side, scope up by the tree line, there's like 10 of them up there.

Absolutely true. At least one lower mainland gun store used to give out maps with hunting spots in Pemberton and/or the Hope/Princeton area with new rifle purchases.Helps new hunters get started, that's a good thing.

04-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Most people only think that their "honey hole" is secret. It's not. Someone has been there before, someone is going there the week before or the week after you were there too. :)

So true........was up on a Spencer Bridge sheep hunt once and came out on a point that gave a fantastic view to kill, after enjoying the vantage point a few minutes l notices a branch of a tree had something half embedded which l dug out. It turned out to be an old black powder cartridge that ceased production around the turn of the last century.

.To 416.I do agree specialized stuff is a little different ....although ....last season an area that was mentioned on this and some other sites....got a kill of FIFTEEN Rams Never said shit doesn't happen and it sure appears to be the case your referencing and incidents like that have always happened and will continue to. We have a local fishing hole that was at one time a fairly obscure "honey-hole" for salmon for the locals until it was written up in one of the provinces outdoor rags, now its looks like a parking lot when salmon are in the river. You can only control you own actions, and if you don't feel like sharing info, no one is going care one way or another, but there are those that will and the scenario you describe will continue to happen, hopefully the ramifications of posting it on the internet will be appreciated by those who have done their homework and sharing of information will be curtailed to only those you know you can trust.

Apolonius
04-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Honey holes stayed honey holes because info was kept or mouth to mouth.You had to go to the gun shop to find out.My point is, today with the internet and google earth, info is at the tip of your fingers.And you dont have to be at home even.Wi-Fi does it for us.Like 416 says we better figure out the ramifications now or we will be seeing a lot of "five guys, ten days,no moose,just moosecaca."

ianwuzhere
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
more people = more problems..
the further u get away from langley the better ;)

Darksith
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Replies, to cry me a river,,,when you go to your spot next year that was posted and it is so crowded ,you will be crying a river.To 416.I do agree specialized stuff is a little different ....although ....last season an area that was mentioned on this and some other sites....got a kill of FIFTEEN Rams.Now that it is special/dedicated hunting.People are selling/trading info today at an alarming rate.And hunter numbers are down,but disposable income,and accessibility makes all the difference.The fifteen rams???only dedicated guys.If you would go there and if you go "up there" the parking lot is like a walmart one, with Jet boat trailers.Exchange of info about hunting is good.Posting a spot is not.All this spots are good because it can sustain the usual numbers.Once the balance is gone so is the game.And finally to all that shared info with me I Never mentioned it to anyone.It helps that i am more of a solo guy.I did give good info to some guy about sheep with the understanding it is only for them ,but it was traded.Live and learn.

Magazines and hunting shows have been doing this for years...I doubt the hunting sites are as much to blame as you think they are.

goatdancer
04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
We have a local fishing hole that was at one time a fairly obscure "honey-hole" for salmon for the locals until it was written up in one of the provinces outdoor rags, now its looks like a parking lot when salmon are in the river.

I bet you the locals are always the earliest ones at the "honey-hole" and take all the fishable spots so the rest of the fishermen have to try fish the usually unproductive fringes.

srupp
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM
HMMM sometimes its the other way around ..know for certain of 9 LEH grizzly tags that went unused...because the individuals just applied...never asked any questions...of them selves , the maps or someone out there that maybe knew you needed a boat, or couldn't drive into that area ie no rds...same with some moose areas..sure wish someone would have given me a heads up when first nations had areas blocked off...so I don't mind giving a heads up when a area could create problems.... or there are 1,000 pieces of logging equipment taking out 20 sq miles of bug killed timber...a google search...and most info has been posted many times before....my most precious location ...is still between me a two of the nicest folks I have met..and there it stays...some things are meant that way....

f350ps
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
The www is a great invention but it's sure had a detrimental effect at times, actually not the fault of the www but the people that use it. There's a very small lake in the Kamloops region that used to be one of my faves as it rarely had more than a couple boats on it at any given time and it held some large fish. That all changed a few years ago when some asshat reported on one of the fishing boards that he slayed the bows with a couple of them reaching double digits. I wasn't aware of this info and went up there at the usual time I do every year and there was 21 boats on that little lake. It has never been the same since and probably never will be. K

Jelvis
04-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey f350ps you talkin about Pass Lake with the trophy fish limit?
Jelly .. in Kammy the double whammy ..

Salty
04-07-2013, 04:11 PM
JellyHuntinFish'n reports you da man man. You need to get some region by region fishing threads going like your awesome hunting threads Reejun one thru eight, don't be late its the news that the intertubes needs to keep it all alive. For the hunters and fishers.

ruger#1
04-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey f350ps you talkin about Pass Lake with the trophy fish limit?
Jelly .. in Kammy the double whammy .. Hey, You gave away my honey hole.

Gateholio
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Jelvis, you should compile a list of your threads with hunting areas, put them all in one thread with links. :)

Jelvis
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Hahaha yah then I'd need to wear a bullet proof vest lol. After the Seven O ranch thread posts I'm Wanted Dead not Alive
in the Loops.
Jel .. Must have been a couple big wig kammy hunters fave spot by the response .. I knew it had huge bucks but whoa
someone was not impressed.

Salty
04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Seven O deal that was brutal but you got thick skin Jello. Woah, I just said Seven O too I'm in trouble

decker9
04-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Sure glad that I live where I do! Never had this problem.

sawmill
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Ah hell,I`v helped a few guys on this site,never screwed my hunting up.If a fellow is coming a long way and asks me for a nice place to camp and hunt and fish I`ll tell him.I`m lucky to get to live here,for many it`s a trip of a lifetime.It`s a big country,lots of room.I just don`t tell about MY best spots.:mrgreen:

boxhitch
04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
15 rams from one spot ?
two ways of looking at that, and they are both good

Apolonius
04-08-2013, 05:37 PM
The 15 rams are not the issue.It did happen.The real issue is once that spot was "highlighted" the concentration of hunters was far greater than it should be.It takes time for an area to recover and than it will be another spot and so on.Last year Spences Bridge had 4 short rams and if i say they were just short this year we are missing 4 rams that would be maybe legal.All of us before we dispense info freely we should remember...the old farts with the old rusty Datsun and a camper, road hunting are long gone.Now there is another breed...big pickups with lifts ...bugeye sunglasses...money to burn and guns blazing...

dana
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM
If you believe all you see on the internet then I have a bridge to sell ya. ;) The internet has created more liars than truth tellers. :)

albravo2
04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Information is an asset, not unlike money. Some people hoard it, some people give it away, some share it with friends and family. Hoarders never have enough, which is why they often lack for friends too.

I'm probably the newest member responding to this thread and probably the most inexperienced hunter. I've been the grateful recipient of lots of information from this site and its members, including some places to take my 14 year old son to shoot our first deer.

When I started fishing many years ago the owner of Highwater Tackle in North Van drew me a few maps. His policy is 'No secret spots'. Those were my favourite places to fish for years and I've shared them with many people. Sometimes now they are crowded, so I move on. I've never for a minute regretted sharing the info.

Its a big province. As someone's tagline reads 'Its gonna take a lifetime to hunt and fish all this'. There's room for everyone.

limit time
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
If you believe all you see on the internet then I have a bridge to sell ya. ;) The internet has created more liars than truth tellers. :)

Will this bridge get me to any honey holes?

BlacktailStalker
04-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Information is an asset, not unlike money. Some people hoard it, some people give it away, some share it with friends and family. Hoarders never have enough, which is why they often lack for friends too.

I'm probably the newest member responding to this thread and probably the most inexperienced hunter. I've been the grateful recipient of lots of information from this site and its members, including some places to take my 14 year old son to shoot our first deer.

When I started fishing many years ago the owner of Highwater Tackle in North Van drew me a few maps. His policy is 'No secret spots'. Those were my favourite places to fish for years and I've shared them with many people. Sometimes now they are crowded, so I move on. I've never for a minute regretted sharing the info.

Its a big province. As someone's tagline reads 'Its gonna take a lifetime to hunt and fish all this'. There's room for everyone.

Dave is a really good guy.

BlacktailStalker
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Jelvis, you should compile a list of your threads with hunting areas, put them all in one thread with links. :)
Lol absolutely impossible! ! !

BiG Boar
04-08-2013, 11:39 PM
I don't know how much traffic this site actually brings to a place when its mentioned. I think its more of a placebo effect. You hear mentioned one of your "secret" spots, and the next time you go there on a long weekend, you see tonnes of guys! I know a lot of people blame this site for giving away secret roads, but in reality hunter numbers are increasing, partially due to this site, and they have to go somewhere.

Next time you're out, and you're sure that all the people on your secret road found out about it on here, stop and talk to the people you see hunting. Ask them. Most guys I have ran into (I'm talking majority) have never heard of this site, or if they have don't use it. Most of them have been hunting there for years. Heck, with the average age of hunters being an older generation, most of them can't turn on a computer, let alone sign up for an account on this site.

As far as hunting close to the LML goes, there will always be new young guys coming in there, as that is the first close place to go check out when you're a new hunter and can't afford the time off, and gas money, to go on a big trip out of town.