PDA

View Full Version : Pumped for sheep!

Jim Prawn
04-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Just got confirmation from my hunting buddy that his hollidays are good for the thinhorn opening August 1st! Already running 5 miles once a week, mowing the lawn with 80 lbs in my pack, and palates every wednesday hoping to be ready.... I'll never be ready. Our #1 plan is to go back to the same spot we went 2 years ago and saw 2 rams that were borderline shooters but watched them leave. There is a popular spot closer to the trail head but we saw very little indication of other humans as far back as we went, so we are hoping that one or both of those rams have survived and are in the same area. This will only be our second trip, so a bit of a crap shoot but extremely excited to get back in sheep country (other than the 24 hour drive to get there). Any input from the vets on whether to hedge our bets on sheep we saw 2 years ago, or broaden our horizons by exploring more territory.?..
Fingers crossed.
JP

anglo-saxon
04-06-2013, 11:30 PM
You lose benefit from cardio within about three days. Better to do 5-8Km Mon, Wed, Fri and a decent ruck march (hills...min 5Km/1 hour) Tues, Thurs, Sat along with some push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Make sure your triaining in your target zone for heart rate. Take the figure 220 and deduct your age. Then take 70% of that and that is your optimum target heart rate for cardio (min 20mins 3 X per week). So for a 40 y/o guy optimum HR s 126 beats per minute. Anything over 120 is beneficial.

Jim Prawn
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Not worried at all about cardio, just legs, knees, hips and back strength. And Stamina.
Yes she agrees.
JP

decker9
04-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Your 1 up on me! This year will be my 4th sheep hunt, and Iv yet to even see one! Lol, but, if I had seen sheep on any of my last 3 hunts, no doubt I'd be goin back to that spot!
good luck! Cheers!

hunter1947
04-07-2013, 04:21 AM
Not worried at all about cardio, just legs, knees, hips and back strength. And Stamina.
Yes she agrees.
JP

Getting into top shape will help big time when it comes to hunting for your sheep ,,getting into top shape is tops when it comes to hunting for sheep ,,work out hard as you can and believe me this will go a long ways when Aug first rolls around..

Apolonius
04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Not trying to say not to be physically ready but too much attention is being paid on that side.Be fit, work hard, but if you want a sheep be prepared like some one that is going and mean real GOING to get that ram.Mental preparedness is king in my opinion.If you are not 100% fit physically you can always stop and go.If you are not prepared mentally you go too, but you just go home.Many fit and i mean Gym Fit have gone home early and empty handed.And the most important thing i tell everyone...BE DESPERATE!!!.Do the extra mile at your own speed,go further than the next guy.

anglo-saxon
04-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Yes she agrees.
JP

Well, you should be concerned about cardio, because that's how you build endurance, which is "stamina". Stamina (or "endurance") is achieved through the type of training that also improves cardio. Pretty much any activity that keeps the heart within the trianing zone will improve your "stamina", such as running high-tempo cycling, circuit training, weights with high reps (low weight), etc. Bottom line: Good cardio equals the ability to recover quickly from exertion and carry on and that equals stamina. So, next time you're half way up the mountain and have to stop because you're breathing out of your arse, that's because your cardio (and therefore "stamina") is not up to speed.

lorneparker1
04-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Well, you should be concerned about cardio, because that's how you build endurance, which is "stamina". Stamina (or "endurance") is achieved through the type of training that also improves cardio. Pretty much any activity that keeps the heart within the trianing zone will improve your "stamina", such as running high-tempo cycling, circuit training, weights with high reps (low weight), etc. Bottom line: Good cardio equals the ability to recover quickly from exertion and carry on and that equals stamina. So, next time you're half way up the mountain and have to stop because you're breathing out of your arse, that's because your cardio (and therefore "stamina") is not up to speed.

I think what he means is his cardio is good. Jim is a goat and elk killing machine. And I don't know to many lazy elk and goat hunters!

Good luck Jim!

Lorne

anglo-saxon
04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
OK, gotcha. However, stamina IS cardio.

Alpoius is right about the mental preparedness, but I would add that a well-focused person with good cardio (and therefore "stamina") will cover more ground and enjoy the experience more than a well-focused person without their cardio up to speed. Just common dog!

kennyj
04-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Good luck Jim. I think if you saw rams there before, there will likely be rams there again. Maybe the same ones maybe different ones. I'll be heading up for my third try for stones this year as well.
kenny

North
04-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Agreed with Kenny. I have typically seen rams in the same areas from year to year. Another big advantage to going back to the same area is you will have an idea of distance and such to use in the area. Its one thing to study maps and google earth but another thing to put the field work in and get to know an area better. This gives you an edge as you can realistically know what you can and can't do in a day.

I love the lawn cutting training. Seems far removed from what I could do at this time of year being from up north but makes sense living in Victoria.

Good luck and enjoy! Only 115 days left.