PDA

View Full Version : The difference between leupold and bushnell

GoatGuy
04-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Had a bushnell elite 3200 that had been in 3 times in ~ 10 years, fell on it a couple years ago, bent the tube. Sent it in last year with the $10, month later they called and told me it wasn't covered under warranty and shipped it back - maybe they thought a person could use it for shooting around corners?

Had a leupold VX2 that was dropped and bent the tube - had never been in for warranty work. Sent it off, week later they called said the tube was bent, gave them my CC #, a brand new VX2 showed (with scope covers) up in the mail for $140.

Go leupold, or make sure you have iron sights as a backup for your bushnell.

OutWest
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
x2. Was in the same situation a few years ago. Always had great service with Leupold.

blaker_99
04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
leupold has some excellent customer service and warranty!! all i'll ever buy until that changes.

bridger
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Had a horse roll on my 3x9 leopould and bentthe tube so badly couldnt open the bolt. Sent it in gota brand new one in return. No charge.

04-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Sent 3 scopes back to the USA factories for repairs over the years. One was an old Bushnell BDC Scopechief VI with a bent tube, they billed me about $50.00 for a replacement tube and sent me a brand new scope.
The other was a 3x9 Fullfield Burris with the tube broken out of the center turret housing from a fall (threads broke off). They billed me about $40.00 and sent my old repaired scope back which is still in use today and has been fine ever since.
The third was a weaver that the crosshairs had came loose from recoil and they just sent me a new scope and a bill marked "paid in full" for $0.00.

Never did have to send a Leupold scope back and I've got a bunch of them. One M8-6x regular, one M8-6x compact, one vari-x II 4x12x40 AO, and one 4x shotgun scope mounted on a Remington 870 with a rifled Hastings sabot slug barrell. I've abused these scopes lots too and never had a leupold fail on me. The 6x compact is on a custom made Ruger lightweigth .270 and has been on all my sheep and goat hunts and most of my deer hunts since I had it made in 1978, it's dented scratched, soaked and frozen up, has very little blueing left, and even the lens coating is mostly wore off but it's still as accurate as ever and never goes out of zero without a really good reason. Had to have the rifle reblued which will indicated the kind of use this unit been subjected to.

BlacktailStalker
04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Leupold is great, I have never had an issue with their stuff. My brother had a Vari-x-II go out of whack and they sent a new VX-II no questions asked.
I sent a bushnell yardage pro range finder in to have the lens replaced, the finish wore off with minimal cleaning so the view was cloudy all the time. They wouldn't replace it and wanted half the cost of a new one to repair it.
Fail.

ThinAir
04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I have never had a bad leupold experience. Turn around on a warranty claim is very fast too. Customer for life.

Jim Prawn
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Had an old VXII fall off my back a few years ago and the reticles separated. 15 years old or more, sent it back and they repaired it, still guaranteed waterproof for a minimal fee. That was in the middle of hunting season so needed a new one fast - thought I'd try a Bushnell Elite. Did shoot a couple deer with it that season but went to sight in the next year and the scope was fogged up inside - never dropped or anything. Took it back to island outfitters and paid the difference for another leupold. Then the kid dropped his new vxII this year and the elevation cap seized on so the whole assembly came out of the scope when I tried to undo it. Obvious impact to the scope, sent it back and they returned refilled and repaired no charge in about 3 weeks. Awesome.
JP

SAVAGEONE
04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Had a bushnell elite 3200 that had been in 3 times in ~ 10 years, fell on it a couple years ago, bent the tube. Sent it in last year with the $10, month later they called and told me it wasn't covered under warranty and shipped it back - maybe they thought a person could use it for shooting around corners?

Had a leupold VX2 that was dropped and bent the tube - had never been in for warranty work. Sent it off, week later they called said the tube was bent, gave them my CC #, a brand new VX2 showed (with scope covers) up in the mail for $140.

Go leupold, or make sure you have iron sights as a backup for your bushnell.

So one gave you the opportunity to choose what you wanted to do, the other charged you $140.00 good service.

Phreddy
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I find that the biggest difference between a Leupold and a Bushnell is that I would confidently pay $350 and up for a Leupold where I wouldn't accept $350 to take a Bushnell off your hands. All scopes have their good points, but the one major factor in a scope is the service behind it. I've heard far more horror stories about Bushnell than all the other scopes put together, including (shudder) Simons.
I've said it before and I'll say it again......"A good scope is forever, while the rifle under it may come and go many times."

BromBones
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I've had many positive experiences with Leupold.

The best being 2 years ago, I sent in a Vari-X III 2.5-8 that my dad bought in 1978. It was on an old Ruger M77 that I fixed up for him. The many sheep and goat hunts over the years had beat it up pretty bad, but it still worked okay.

I sent it in with a list of complaints, and 5 days later a brand new VX-III 2.5-8 showed up as a replacement. Tough to beat that. How many guys have hunted with the same scope for 30 years, and get a free replacement when the first one finally packs it in?

Walksalot
04-07-2013, 04:13 PM
My son slipped while hunting a few years ago and bent the back end of the scope at a 45 degree angle. Shipped it off to the repair shop with a no b.s. explanation and it was repaired and sent back covered by warranty.
I recently bought a new rifle and Bushnell had a great rebate promotion going on so I bought the scope, an Elite 3-9X40. It screwed up the first time I had it on the rifle and sent it back and they sent me a new one. I was in a sports shop the other day and made the mistake of picking up a Leupold VX111 3.5-10X40. It sits atop my new rifle.

Everett
04-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Leupold warrentied a gold ring spotting scope that my dog ate they rock. Hate Bushnell there a complete pain to deal with, had real good exsperiance with sightron.

sledforever
04-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Didn't tighten the screws properly and bent the tube on my 3-9x leupold. Sent it in and they sent a brand new one. No charge even though it was clearly my fault.

SingleShot
04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I hope Leupold is reading this! So many accolades and happy customers.

Rob
04-07-2013, 08:41 PM
A few years ago I had a baseline set of Bushnell Bino's fog up(inside) on me. Day 1 of a week long moose hunt! I sent them back and they sent me there newest baseline version.(wifes now) That was cool but I replaced my 3200 scope (just in case) and bought a vxll 4-12x50. The adjustment dial stiffened up on me and i sent it back to leopold, they charged me 15 bucks for the return to fix it. Both companies are good on the return stuff but I think Leupold is better quality.

Walksalot
04-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Sent a Leupold scope in for repair and yesterday received a new scope. WOW, now that is customer service.

Weatherby Fan
04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Have about a dozen VX3s, oldest one over 25 yrs old has never lost its zero or caused me a moments grief, everyone in the family uses the same scope, VX3 3.5-10X40 not one issue or need for warranty work.

From my experience and for the money you can't buy a better scope,optics are great,mountability is great, Light weight, generous eye relief and an outstanding warranty and customer service program second to none.
WF

M.Dean
04-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Well, I'm have problems putting a 3x9 x50mm Leupold Scope on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, the mounts I've got aren't high enough, the large bell hit's the barrel. WSS, the big guy with the accent, told me I'd be better off going to the gun show and look for mounts than wait for them to order me the correct ones! And he didn't know what the correct ones even where! So, I E-mailed Leupold and asked if they knew which mounts I needed to mount there Scope to the Ruger. I'm still waiting for a reply! This was 5 weeks ago! So, in the mean time I E-mailed Ruger Firearms, I had a reply back over night!!! I need High and HighX ones which I can't afford to buy unless I get the Wifes Life Insurance money if she so happened to pass away in some Freak Accident or something!!! So, at this point in time, I don't have a whole pile of real nice things to say about Leupold Customer Service!!!

04-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Well, I'm have problems putting a 3x9 x50mm Leupold Scope on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, the mounts I've got aren't high enough, the large bell hit's the barrel. WSS, the big guy with the accent, told me I'd be better off going to the gun show and look for mounts than wait for them to order me the correct ones! And he didn't know what the correct ones even where! So, I E-mailed Leupold and asked if they knew which mounts I needed to mount there Scope to the Ruger. I'm still waiting for a reply! This was 5 weeks ago! So, in the mean time I E-mailed Ruger Firearms, I had a reply back over night!!! I need High and HighX ones which I can't afford to buy unless I get the Wifes Life Insurance money if she so happened to pass away in some Freak Accident or something!!! So, at this point in time, I don't have a whole pile of real nice things to say about Leupold Customer Service!!!

In all fairness, it sounds like your problem stemmed from WSS not selling you the right mounts in the first place, not Leopold ....another reason never to shop there. l'd venture to say ANY gun shop in Kamloops could figure out what you needed for mounts.

ianwuzhere
04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Leupold and badlands- i continue to buy more of these two manufactures products cuz of the excellent product and great warrantys.

Walksalot
04-25-2013, 07:16 AM

One of the big disadvantages of going to a 50 mm front lens is the mounts needed for the bell of the scope to clear the barrel. I find one does not cheek the rifle properly with the high mounts.

The Hermit
04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
I've had many positive experiences with Leupold.

The best being 2 years ago, I sent in a Vari-X III 2.5-8 that my dad bought in 1978. It was on an old Ruger M77 that I fixed up for him. The many sheep and goat hunts over the years had beat it up pretty bad, but it still worked okay.

I sent it in with a list of complaints, and 5 days later a brand new VX-III 2.5-8 showed up as a replacement. Tough to beat that. How many guys have hunted with the same scope for 30 years, and get a free replacement when the first one finally packs it in?

What a great endorsement!

RiverOtter
04-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Are you certain they even recieved you e-mail???

Might just be me, but I wouldn't slight a company the size of Leupold for missing a single e-mail, especially given the pressure the shootin industry is under to supply current demand.

Sorry to interupt your rant, carry on.....:mrgreen:

Weatherby Fan
04-26-2013, 09:41 AM

I may have a set of Talley lightweights at home you can have,I'm at work for a few more days, I'll send you a PM

bighornbob
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM

Not sure what you are really pissed off at: Is it that wholesale sports had no clue what rings and bases to get? Is it that you bought a too big of a scope? Is it that you cant afford to buy the new bases and rings? Is it that your wife is still alive? Is it that you sent in one email 5 weeks ago and have not heard back? Are you sure you sent it to the right place? How about calling their 1 800 number? That might get you more results. Might not get you more money and your wife will probably still be alive but you will know what you need.

skidderman
05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
I've been hunting for more years than I can count. Several bushnell's, a few leupold's & one zeiss. Leupold all the way. I've never had a bushnell that was as clear as I thought it should be & got rid of all except one that is too junky to sell. Lost an opportunity on an elk once because the bushnell blacked out on high power. I will never buy other than leupold again. Worth every cent.

David
05-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Am I the only one reading this thinking "that's an awful lot of Leupold's needing warranty work".

Me.

RiverOtter
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
am i the only one reading this thinking "that's an awful lot of leupold's needing warranty work".

Me.

yep...........

Singleshotneeded
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I've been using a couple of Bushnell Elites, on my .270 deer rifle and my 30.06 moose/elk rifle. I've banged them on trees,
used them in the rain (Yay Rainguard!), and even had them slide off the side of the craphouse and fall to the ground when
I leaned my rifles against it to take care of business... I'm so happy for you Leupold lads that have gotten great service from
Leupold when you sent your scopes in for warranty work, and you should- you paid for it! I think it's better to have your
Bushnell Elite work flawlessly and not have to deal with repair centres, but maybe that's just me...I also don't slam my scope
against rocks! Maybe it takes a real man to beat his scope against the rocks and then send it in for repairs...but my gf prefers
it when I bash other things, lol, and she reckons I'm plenty man enough for her. Enjoy the Leupold smashing though, lads! :-D

Singleshotneeded
05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
To each his own, y'know, it makes life more interesting! Vote Liberal tomorrow, eh? :-)

Islandeer
05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
To each his own, y'know, it makes life more interesting! Vote Liberal tomorrow, eh? :-)

only if cristy unbutons a bit more.

Singleshotneeded
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
I'd be into that too!:-D

blargon
05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
I may have a set of Talley lightweights at home you can have,I'm at work for a few more days, I'll send you a PM

when did talley start making rings to fit a Ruger?

blargon
05-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Not Leupolds fault you bought a scope too big for the rings. Surely between you, Ruger, and WSS you could have figured out you need high rings...

Weatherby Fan
05-20-2013, 06:12 PM
when did talley start making rings to fit a Ruger?

My mistake,not for Ruger 77 but they do for Ruger American !

Weatherby Fan
05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Not Leupolds fault you bought a scope too big for the rings. Surely between you, Ruger, and WSS you could have figured out you need high rings...

I don't believe he was blaming Leupold for buying a 50mm scope he was only saying they never got back to him when he emailed them,either way I had a set of Leupold Rings at home that fit for him.......problem solved.