PDA

View Full Version : Best gun boot to mount with rear cargo seat?

alpinehunter
04-06-2013, 07:56 AM
I have a yamaha kodiak 450 with a kimpex outback rear cargo seat. The rear cargo seat overhangs the side of rear rack by about 1.5". I found a Cabelas USA trail tamer gear gun boot , but its hard to say how much it offsets from rack.

Question is what is everyone using for gun boot with a rear cargo seat?

thanks
warren

bcsteve
04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Kolpin is the standard when it comes to gun boots. That being said, I have to remove my larger cargo box on my Grizzly during hunting season and use a smaller box set up so I can mount my gun boot at the same time. I'm curious to see others set up as well.

BCBRAD
04-06-2013, 08:17 AM
I use a Kolpin set up that bolts to the rear rack and cargo box sits over top of it. I have the gun boot facing back at a 45 degree angle. Also, have a gun rack mounted to handle bars. Sometimes you may have to fab something up that suits your particular needs as factory stuff just doesn't do it. I had to modify the cargo box to accomidate the rear gun mount, lots of fitting and fiddling to get it right.

Drillbit
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Kolpin (gen with the metal band bracket) on the rear right with the barrel end bungeed tight to the floor-board to reduce vibrations.

Have destroyed a barrel crown with this set-up. A rock must've got in there some how, and did a lot of damage.

I prefer a leather scabbard, vertical (scope up, gun not flat) behind the rear of the front rack, butt to the left. Usually have something (saw) on the front rack and I bungee it to that. I put a strip if 1" foam between the saw/bike and scabbard for extra cushion. Can't bungee it too tight or you can't get your gun out.

I also have 2 Kolpins mounted on my Golf cart, but that's a whole different story:)

M.Dean
04-06-2013, 08:29 AM
I've got a 450 Yamaha too, I also have a real big rear box on mine, but for some reason the box leaves about a inch or so on each side when it's tightened down. My gun boot is a Kolpin and the mounting bracket has a bunch of different holes in it so you can use it with a larger, wider box. Maybe go to the Kolpin web site and see what they have for different mounts, get the part number and go from there. Also, I found out how much abuse the Kolpin boot and brackets will take a few weeks ago, I had my Quad outside in the sun cleaning and repacking it, and with my screwed up eye sight back then, when I tried to run it back in the basement, I made the door 4 feet wide so it would just fit, well the gun boot it's self caught the door jam first, and like a idiot I had the Quad in 4x4 so I just hit the trigger hopping it would clear and Bob's your Uncle! Well, I bent the boot completely in half, bust the plastic part where the boot sides in and bent the shit out of the metal mounting bracket too! The door jam didn't fare much better either!!! My buddy's got one he took off a Quad before he sold it, so he's giving it to me, thank Christ!!! But, other than my own stupidity wrecking mine, there one of the best Gun Boot systems I've seen!

RiverOtter
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Might sound goofy, but I mounted my Kolpin on my front rack with the barrel pointing down to the outside edge of the foot board. I love it; guns outta the way, but still easily accessable from a standing position. Doesn't interfer with the passenger either.

warnniklz
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM
this bad boy http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/hunt/gun-boot-cases-brackets/gun-boot-6-0-transport.html

Wackman
04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Might sound goofy, but I mounted my Kolpin on my front rack with the barrel pointing down to the outside edge of the foot board. I love it; guns outta the way, but still easily accessable from a standing position. Doesn't interfer with the passenger either.

This is how I mounted my Kolpin, on front rack with barrel
pointin back. Just need to be more careful crawling through
thicker brush so as not to snag the butt end. Works great :-)

bcsteve
04-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Sounds some guys have it figured it out. Now we need some picture for those of us who are the "visual" type.

Rocky7
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I had the same issue with my Grizzlies. I built a waterproofed plywood deck for the rear rack with enough overhang to mount my Kolpin gun boot hardware. Put the box on top of the plywood. It worked fine for years until I bought my Rhino. Still have it here somewhere.....