PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scopes - Pros and Cons for Angled vs Straight

Crawfy42
04-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, I will be getting a new spotting scope very soon and was just wanting to hear some input as to the pros and cons between angled scopes versus straight scopes.

I would think angled is better for more comfortable viewing positions but a straight scope will keep your body and head a foot or 2 closer to the ground.

BCBRAD
04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I have an angled one, lower on the tri-pod, easier on your neck, not as easy to get on target (subject) but becomes easier with practice. For viewing in a seated position it is much better than straight. YMMV

ryanb
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
If you get an angled scope, make sure it has a rotating barrel otherwise looking at things downhill becomes almost impossible. Straight vs angled is a tough choice, they both have their pros and cons. I have had both and can't say which I prefer.

albravo2
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
am wrestling with the same choice right now.

great discussion here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f44/spotting-scope-angled-straight-66350/

i wanted an angled but after reading that discussion, I am inclined to go with the straight. easier target acquisition, better downhill, less rain on the eyepiece...

Crawfy42
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm leaning towards straight, I've only ever used straight in the field but have looked through angled at the store and someones house.

Roughneck Country
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I was in the same prediciment not long ago. I always thought I wanted anangled scope because I was doing a lot of mountain and sheep hunting, my buddy had one and after a few trips I soon discovered it was unconfortable and awkward for myself to use. I bought a stright scope and find it a lot more comfortable. I would suggest trying them both out on a hunting trip not just for 10 minutes at the store before making your final decision if you are going to drop the big $$ on a scope. I bought a straight boddied swaro and upgraded to the wide angle eye piece, best money i have ever spent on optics. I also found leaning over the angled eye piece gave me a lot of neck strain. My advice get the one that is most comfortable for yourself.

HIGHRPM
04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I am far more comfortable with a straight unit, just find it easier to locate target.

Badlands62
04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I used the straight for years but have now gone to the angled. Easier on the neck, closer to the ground on the tripod. My $.02 worth.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
iv used and owned both . .straight is the way to go .

wlbc
04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Some of this is of course subjective and partly based on our own unique physiology.

I have both and have used both. I do prefer the angled for long glassing periods. I find it uncomfortable to use the straight ones for extended periods.

I would recommend trying both for a full day and find what works best for you.

sillybear
04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Mine is an old Japenese bushnell spacemaster. I used it for years with a 22 power wide angle. It has great eye relief and I could glass all day long with it.
I use my spotter with both eyes open and I found getting my spotter on target very easy.
A partner of mine had a leica with angle eye piece. I could never get the hang of picking something up on the sidehill when you are staring at the ground!
An angled eyepice would have an advantage for a prone shooter on the range but not for me in the field.

BlacktailStalker
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
One day, someone will produce one that does both ! I went with straight after pouring over the threads years ago. I figure if you never pick up the one you don't decide to go with, you're golden !