PDA

View Full Version : gun rack in a pick up truck window

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 12:04 AM
So wanting to be like a real redneck and upset my teenage daughter even more I put a run rack in the back window of my truck. Today I had the chance to get out with the use 22 I bought at the Chilliwack gun show a couple of weeks ago. On the way back to Burnaby from Mission I decided to put said gun in the window rack:mrgreen:. I drove along Lougheed to Mary Hill Bypass and then back on Lougheed in Coq and in to Burnaby. I thought I might get pulled over but not a cop in sight. About an hour after getting home there was a knock at the door. Being the unsocial prick that I am I ignored it. The person at the door wouldn't quit and my camera at the front door isn't working. I figured it was another canidate for the up coming election but by the forth knock I knew something was a miss. ( what has my daughter done now I thought) I checked the peep hole in the front door and sure enough there was a police cruiser in my driveway. So I went outside to discover two cruisers at my townhouse. (like my neighbours don't already hate for my motorcycle) Turns out while I was driving down Mary hill Bypass some concerned citizen call Coq RCMP to report I had a hi power rifle with a scope in my back window.

I show the police my PAL and explained that I was transporting a legal fire arm in a legal mannor. They had obviously already run my name as they didn't bother to do that. We chatted for a few minutes and I offered to show them the rifle but they said that wouldn't be necessary. So off they went.

Will I put a rifle in the back window again? HELL YEAH!!! Will I do it in my company truck? Maybe not. Alot of the work is done with elemtary schools and the parent groups there.

Mr. Dean
04-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Like a man with stones.

Now how about you and me hop on skytrain with uncased 300WM's and 'Go For A Ride'?

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 12:44 AM
That would be fine if we where in Sry, New West, S. Bby (metrotown). Let me know when you want to give it a try. I'll get a buddy to video us getting zapped with the Tazers.

Mr. Dean
04-04-2013, 12:49 AM
That would be fine if we where in Sry, New West, S. Bby (metrotown). Let me know when you want to give it a try. I'll get a buddy to video us getting zapped with the Tazers.

That could very well happen but we should see ~ 250,000 each, once the lawsuites are settled. :wink:

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 01:25 AM
well i guess you got what you wanted. totally pointless.

camo-redneck
04-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Pointless? He did what every one of us should do. Reach down with one hand and make sure you got a set. Proving we are legal to transport guns!

Gateholio
04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Did they give you a reason for coming by after they knew you had a PAL?

Stone Sheep Steve
04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Pointless?? Not really. We need to get a 1000 firearms owners to do the same on a given day. Phone ahead and let the police know what's going on so they will be prepared when the calls start rolling in.
Do this on regular intervals and we could easily desensitize an over-sensitive society.

SSS

Rocky7
04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Pointless?? Not really. We need to get a 1000 firearms owners to do the same on a given day. Phone ahead and let the police know what's going on so they will be prepared when the calls start rolling in.
Do this on regular intervals and we could easily desensitize an over-sensitive society.

SSS

Agreed, except I don't see the need to phone ahead to announce that you are going to do something that is not criminal.

BlacktailStalker
04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Lol that's awesome.
Surprised there wasn't more said? Seems pointless to show up at your house to 'confirm' you had a rifle in your window, major waste of resources.
Pathetic part here is it makes no difference as to whether the complainant said it was a pellet gun or a .450 so what were their grounds to show up in your driveway ?
Next time, tell them there is no reason for a visit and you'll be filing harassment charges!
Did you forewarn them that this will be a regular occurrence ? Maybe to make a note on your file ? Lol
Just remember you can't leave it in the vehicle in sight unattended.

As for the 300, nothing illegal about it, you can carry an uncased firearm from your truck to a firearm store (trigger locked) and back, it is just majorly frowned upon but doesn't make it illegal. Maybe call first, tell them this is what you're doing on the sky train, you have no wheels and allow them the chance to offer you a ride !? You might just get the sky train all to yourself, you could be on to something :)

russm86
04-04-2013, 07:49 AM
I think once they receive a call they are "obligated" to follow up, if not just for reassurance or for a check-up just in the case of that one in a million chance something is actually awry.

Weatherby Fan
04-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Lol yup that's pretty funny, let me know when u decide to pack a rifle on the sky train and swats waiting for u at the next stop........I want to film this.......trouble is you'll probably get arrested if not shot by some over zealous officer and next they will drag u downtown for an extensive phsyco logical assessment.........but as BTS says above you'll probably have the traincar to yourself !

BimmerBob
04-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Interesting that the "concerned citizen" thought your .22 was a "high powered" rifle. Sheople, just can't get enough of them!

Weatherby Fan
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Interesting that the "concerned citizen" thought your .22 was a "high powered" rifle. Sheople, just can't get enough of them!

Yup as soon as most people see a gun they assume the worst.........of course your on your way to the nearest school or mall !
My sister Inlaw used to be like that but at every family function we always have the guns out.........now she's gotten over her phobia !

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Well if thats how you feel then so be it. To the rest who see what I did as a me sticking up for our ability to transport a legal firearm in a legal method. Thank you for your support. You will all be invited to the party after Mr. Dean and I get our skytrain settlements for being Tazered.

The only reason they gave me for them showing up was that someone had called in a complaint and they HAD to follow up. They said with this type of thing there is almost always a reasonable explanation and all is good and above board. They asked me if there was a reason I had it in my back window and I told them that it was legal and that if I put it behind the seat of my regular cab truck the scope would get bashed around. I didn't say to them I would be doing it again but I did make it clear that was my preferred method of carrying a rifle.

elitehuntergreg
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Pointless? He did what every one of us should do. Reach down with one hand and make sure you got a set. Proving we are legal to transport guns!

just put a grinner on from ear to ear!

Viper
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Remember the guy last year who was legally shooting at geese at the golf club he work at? No gun in sight, in his truck, gets taken down at gun point then gets kicked in the face. A case in Ontario years ago where a guy was legally shooting gophers in the general area of a school but not in the line of fire. He got taken out of his house at gun point, stripped searched, all his weapons seized, a bunch of BS charges. I think they had his guns for ten years while this played out in the courts. Not sure of the outcome but I know the OPP paid him a pile of cash. A couple years ago I heard on the scanner that the cops were responding to a "shots fired" call out on Duncan Bay road. It was around this time of year and some guys were probably sighting in for bear hunting. I could hear the nervousness in the cops voices over the scanner. They found the pit but the guys were gone. They said there was evidence of gunfire and asked should we pick up casings for evidence. If those guys would have been there I hate to think what would have happened to them. Remember at YVR the man got tazered to death cause he had a stapler in his hand. These are examples of what can happen to people involved in legal activities. But if you like to play with fire more power to you.

frenchbar
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Remember the guy last year who was legally shooting at geese at the golf club he work at? No gun in sight, in his truck, gets taken down at gun point then gets kicked in the face. A case in Ontario years ago where a guy was legally shooting gophers in the general area of a school but not in the line of fire. He got taken out of his house at gun point, stripped searched, all his weapons seized, a bunch of BS charges. I think they had his guns for ten years while this played out in the courts. Not sure of the outcome but I know the OPP paid him a pile of cash. A couple years ago I heard on the scanner that the cops were responding to a "shots fired" call out on Duncan Bay road. It was around this time of year and some guys were probably sighting in for bear hunting. I could hear the nervousness in the cops voices over the scanner. They found the pit but the guys were gone. They said there was evidence of gunfire and asked should we pick up casings for evidence. If those guys would have been there I hate to think what would have happened to them. Remember at YVR the man got tazered to death cause he had a stapler in his hand. These are examples of what can happen to people involved in legal activities. But if you like to play with fire more power to you. im with you ..no need to wake up a 'sleeping giant so to speak '..just to prove a point..i got better things to do as to be visited by rcmp !

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 08:35 AM
I am aware of how the authorities can react to anything involving a weapon and I'mvery glad that the two officers that I delt with yesterday didn't take that approach. I was expecting them to want to come in and check the guns in my house, but once they saw my PAL and yalked with me they where happy that I wasn't a danger to anyone

Kudu
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
If you guys are going to seriously mess around with the cops or "sky train fruit flowers", I highly recommend you buy some insurance first....

http://www.firearmlegaldefence.com/

sheepsheen
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Pointless to stand up for your rights...........ya good call........

Stone Sheep Steve
04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Remember the guy last year who was legally shooting at geese at the golf club he work at? No gun in sight, in his truck, gets taken down at gun point then gets kicked in the face. A case in Ontario years ago where a guy was legally shooting gophers in the general area of a school but not in the line of fire. He got taken out of his house at gun point, stripped searched, all his weapons seized, a bunch of BS charges. I think they had his guns for ten years while this played out in the courts. Not sure of the outcome but I know the OPP paid him a pile of cash. A couple years ago I heard on the scanner that the cops were responding to a "shots fired" call out on Duncan Bay road. It was around this time of year and some guys were probably sighting in for bear hunting. I could hear the nervousness in the cops voices over the scanner. They found the pit but the guys were gone. They said there was evidence of gunfire and asked should we pick up casings for evidence. If those guys would have been there I hate to think what would have happened to them. Remember at YVR the man got tazered to death cause he had a stapler in his hand. These are examples of what can happen to people involved in legal activities. But if you like to play with fire more power to you.

This is one of the reasons why we call ahead to the RCMP when we are conducting goose control.....and as I said above, it's always a god idea to let thm know ahead of time if we did a "mass back window transport".

A friend was out with his son doing some yote hunting and hiking a couple of weeks ago, Yote hunting was slow so they decided to shoot off a few rounds with the semi-auto shotgun. Some lady called them in for shooting off automatic weapons.:???:
He had the idea of desensitizing the public (and RCMP) as I mentioned above.

SSS

boxhitch
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Pointless to stand up for your rightsStanding up against what ? Was someone challenging the transport laws ?

Good on you for winning the fight , even though you had no opponent.
Exercising ones legal 'rights' is pretty common

boxhitch
04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Desensitizing the public ? Good luck with that
There would be a better chance of getting the CORE into all local schoools

Iron Glove
04-04-2013, 10:05 AM
As responsible owners of firearms we have the RIGHT to do certain things but we also have the RESPONSIBILITY to appreciate that exercising those rights under the wrong circumstances can bring undesired results.
If I drive through downtown Tulameen or Princeton with my rifle in my rack, the RCMP might stop me only to ask how the hunting was today. If I do the same in Vancouver, the Police will likely stop me to ensure that I am not a risk to the general public. In the LM, people with guns take on a whole different perspective than people with guns in small towns.
So what exactly has one proven by driving around the LM with a gun in his rack - absolutely nothing of benefit to firearms owners.
Might be an ego trip for the gun owner but it's accomplished absolutely nothing to improve how the non gun owning public ( the vast majority by the way ) views us.
Remember what you were taught in CORE - respect the sensitivities of others.

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
As responsible owners of firearms we have the RIGHT to do certain things but we also have the RESPONSIBILITY to appreciate that exercising those rights under the wrong circumstances can bring undesired results.
If I drive through downtown Tulameen or Princeton with my rifle in my rack, the RCMP might stop me only to ask how the hunting was today. If I do the same in Vancouver, the Police will likely stop me to ensure that I am not a risk to the general public. In the LM, people with guns take on a whole different perspective than people with guns in small towns.
So what exactly has one proven by driving around the LM with a gun in his rack - absolutely nothing of benefit to firearms owners.
Might be an ego trip for the gun owner but it's accomplished absolutely nothing to improve how the non gun owning public ( the vast majority by the way ) views us.
Remember what you were taught in CORE - respect the sensitivities of others.

An ego trip? I don't think so! Why do you think you can do this in a small town? Because people are used to seeing it? So If it happened more often in the lower mainland then maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.
I wasn't driving around downtown on a Friday night near the bars on Granville or checking out the hookers. I was driving on Lougheed Hwy and Mary Hill By-pass. I was "playing" with the gun or handling it in anyway.

Rocky7
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
It is interesting to see that some people think that doing something perfectly legal with a gun is an "ego trip". I assume that conclusion only follows the word "gun"? In other words, doing something legal with, say, a beach ball would not be an "ego trip"?

A lot of people in this country have unique reactions when the word "gun" is put into a sentence. That probably explains why we have such draconian, ineffective, unconstitutional, irritating and downright goofy gun laws in this country. I believe those reactions have been taught as they do not seem to be rational.

A people who will not exercise their rights will lose them.

Iron Glove
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
An ego trip? I don't think so! Why do you think you can do this in a small town? Because people are used to seeing it? So If it happened more often in the lower mainland then maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal.
I wasn't driving around downtown on a Friday night near the bars on Granville or checking out the hookers. I was driving on Lougheed Hwy and Mary Hill By-pass. I was "playing" with the gun or handling it in anyway.

You said you did it to piss off someone. You also know that the sight of a gun in a truck in the LM WILL likely get a reaction, so what was your point then ? The point about being able to do it in small town BC is that it is an accepted practice there because of hunting. In the LM, not much hunting is there ? In small town BC it is common and reasonable, in the LM it's uncommon and I'd suggest unreasonable to expect that having a firearm in open view will not get you unwanted attention.
By all means, go for it but be prepared to accept the consequences.
In the LM the majority of the residents are anti or at best neutral when it comes to guns and hunting, you will never change it.
There's a big difference ( and a moral responsibility to recognize it ) between "legal" and "responsible".
I live behind an Elementary School. There's no law to prevent me from standing on my porch in my housecoat with my bare, hairy legs showing from the knees down when the little kids walk by. Legal -yes. Responsible - no.
I note that you are not prepared to take the same chances with the Company truck as you service Elementary Schools - why not ? Possibly you are excercising some discretion, in spite of your legal rights ?

sawmill
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Small towns ARE better.I have walked 2 blocks with my uncased(bolt out) 30.06 slung over my shoulder to the sporting goods store to get my scope mounted,hardly even got a look.

adriaticum
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
You said you did it to piss off someone. You also know that the sight of a gun in a truck in the LM WILL likely get a reaction, so what was your point then ? The point about being able to do it in small town BC is that it is an accepted practice there because of hunting. In the LM, not much hunting is there ? In small town BC it is common and reasonable, in the LM it's uncommon and I'd suggest unreasonable to expect that having a firearm in open view will not get you unwanted attention.
In the LM the majority of the residents are anti or at best neutral when it comes to guns and hunting, you will never change it.
There's a big difference ( and a moral responsibility to recognize it ) between "legal" and "responsible".
I live behind an Elementary School. There's no law to prevent me from standing on my porch in my housecoat with my bare, hairy legs showing from the knees down when the little kids walk by. Legal -yes. Responsible - no.
I note that you are not prepared to take the same chances with the Company truck as you service Elementary Schools - why not ? Possibly you are excercising some discretion, in spite of your legal rights ?

Well said.
We shouldn't really be making any new enemies.
You piss off the cops too many times and they will spank you.

Store, Display and Transporting of Firearms
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209/page-4.html#h-8

Wackman
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
A people who will not exercise their rights will lose them.

This is exactly the way I see it. There is nothing wrong with displaying
firearms "discreetly" and responsibly while transporting or
using them.

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Perhaps you should re-read my first post. I didn't carry the gun to piss off anyone, I put in thr gun rack to piss off my high maintance teenage daughter. She is the same person who doesn'tlike to be seen in public with dad unless we are on our way to the bank machine.

adriaticum
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Perhaps you should re-read my first post. I didn't carry the gun to piss off anyone, I put in thr gun rack to piss off my high maintance teenage daughter. She is the same person who doesn'tlike to be seen in public with dad unless we are on our way to the bank machine.

Lol, you could piss her off by forgetting your wallet next time you go to the bank machine :wink:

Mr. Dean
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
As for the 300, nothing illegal about it, you can carry an uncased firearm from your truck to a firearm store (trigger locked) and back, it is just majorly frowned upon but doesn't make it illegal. Maybe call first, tell them this is what you're doing on the sky train, you have no wheels and allow them the chance to offer you a ride !? You might just get the sky train all to yourself, you could be on to something :)

FTR - They could be fully operational (no locks) and all would be 100% legal.
The ONLY requirement being that they are unloaded and not unattended.

Mr. Dean
04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I drive around all over the LML with my shotty laying across the dash of my jeep during bird season. It's up there for all to see and I've never been questioned about it.
Get some interesting looks @ red lights, but whatever.

It's not that I'm out trying to prove a point when I do this, it's just the 'best' place for the gun to ride and I'm permitted to do so, so why not?

And a little Heads Up; The LML houses the VAST majority of BC's hunters,,,, so one would *think* that long guns shouldn't strike the fear of god into its people that don't hunt.

- Some guys here are WAY more sensitive (or is the right word; scared?) than a mouse clenched in a cats grasp... :confused:

Gateholio
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Hiding our guns is one of the main reasons we starting losing the battle.....

Nobody has the right to not be offended by the presence of a gun.

bigneily
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Nobody has the right to not be offended by the presence of a gun. Well said..

thehammer
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Totally agree with you IronGlove, no point proven at all, I guess we should go back to strapping deer over the hood of the car just to prove a point, It's legal and our right to !

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Okay, so why did they come to your house when they ran your name and saw you had a PAL?
Did they stop by to remind you that you can't leave the visible rifle unattended in a parked vehicle, so if you carry
it in a gun rack in future make sure you're driving straight through from point A to point B?
If they didn't stop by to remind you of that, why did they bother stopping by at all? :-)

Gateholio
04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Totally agree with you IronGlove, no point proven at all, I guess we should go back to strapping deer over the hood of the car just to prove a point, It's legal and our right to !

Strapping deer on the hood is a poor way to transport meat due to the heat of the engine. That said, when hunters started covering up their animals and hiding them, sneaking them home, hunting turned into a "dirty little secret" which made the general public less aware of hunting and allowed Hollywood to educate them that only deranged people owned guns and hunted.

Hunters should have never given up the rear window gun rack or carrying their animals openly. Once again- people don't have the right to not be offended.

Everett
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Strapping deer on the hood is a poor way to transport meat due to the heat of the engine. That said, when hunters started covering up their animals and hiding them, sneaking them home, hunting turned into a "dirty little secret" which made the general public less aware of hunting and allowed Hollywood to educate them that only deranged people owned guns and hunted.

Hunters should have never given up the rear window gun rack or carrying their animals openly. Once again- people don't have the right to not be offended.

Amen I carry rifles and shotguns in the window or on the front seat, I also have been known to leave a dead deer in the back of my truck on Mainstreet while I have a pint on my way home. I honestly coudn't give a rats ass if I offend.

adriaticum
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Nobody has the right to not be offended by the presence of a gun.

This is true.

Once the government start to regulate something they create regulations that are so vague that it's hard for most people to know what is and what is not.

NitwiT
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Viper ... stating "Remember at YVR the man got tazered to death cause he had a stapler in his hand." is quite ridiculous.

As to the post, well done, I transport rifles and shotguns in a visible manner as well.. as least while im in the vehicle, once leaving vehicle I conceal them as required.

Mark

Rocky7
04-04-2013, 05:11 PM

My teenage daughter would be wanting to put her rifle in the rack, too. :)

Sorry, not meaning to derail your good thread, that just caught my eye. Carry on.

1/2 slam
04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Okay, so why did they come to your house when they ran your name and saw you had a PAL?
Did they stop by to remind you that you can't leave the visible rifle unattended in a parked vehicle, so if you carry
it in a gun rack in future make sure you're driving straight through from point A to point B?
If they didn't stop by to remind you of that, why did they bother stopping by at all? :-)

Because they had no idea who was driving the vehicle. They had every right to come check it out. Once they found out it was legit they left. I see no problem.

Singleshotneeded
04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I guess...at least they didn't try to preach at you...

Blainer
04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Because they had no idea who was driving the vehicle. They had every right to come check it out. Once they found out it was legit they left. I see no problem.Very professional.
The question is why encourage the invite?

Viper
04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Viper ... stating "Remember at YVR the man got tazered to death cause he had a stapler in his hand." is quite ridiculous.

As to the post, well done, I transport rifles and shotguns in a visible manner as well.. as least while im in the vehicle, once leaving vehicle I conceal them as required.

Mark

OK, partly ridiculous but true as this was one of the reasons they used to substantiate their use of force. Either way just shows what can happen in today's society.

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
knowing you would get a reaction and either a visit from the police or stopped by them just so you can prove your point is a waste of all of the officers time. legal or not, good luck on changing peoples views and thanks for wasting officers time. and just a note... i am not a police lover by any means but they have better stuff to do than make sure you are proving your point legally. It's stuff like this that is intentionally done that urks me. know the laws, follow them, and be happy you can do what you can compared to other places but also be respectful of others and their views. i personally wouldn't give a sh*t seeing what you did but why urk others that don't understand and no matter what you say or do, will never change their mind? Oh wait, cause you can. lol. good job and hope to see more people wasting officers time cause you know that someone will call you in for you expressing your legal right.

Iron Glove
04-04-2013, 06:38 PM

I'd suggest that the opposite is what happens.
The more that we as hunters and firearms owners openly show our game or our firearms in urban areas, the more "ammunition" we give those who oppose our activities to complain and try to get rules and regulations put into place to restrict our rights. We "shove it in their faces" and they react as antis so love to do and the results are often restrictions placed upon us. Like it or not, a dead deer on the hood of your truck does offend many urbanites and just gives said urbanites another thing to attack us with. "But my little 4 year old should not have seen Bambi like that."
As I've stated, do your show and tell in areas that are more receptive such as small town BC, don't do it in the LM.
But heck, I'm an old Fudd, what do I know. :confused:

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
well said.
The more that we as hunters and firearms owners openly show our game or our firearms in urban areas, the more "ammunition" we give those who oppose our activities to complain and try to get rules and regulations put into place to restrict our rights. We "shove it in their faces" and they react as antis so love to do and the results are often restrictions placed upon us. Like it or not, a dead deer on the hood of your truck does offend many urbanites and just gives said urbanites another thing to attack us with. "But my little 4 year old should not have seen Bambi like that."
As I've stated, do your show and tell in areas that are more receptive such as small town BC, don't do it in the LM.

Everett
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Its old Fudds like you that screwed everything up so why don't you get out of the way and let the next generation of hunters who are not embarresed by what we are and what we do handle things from now on.

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
classy guys like you will change it for the better for everyone. go gettem champ!!! we will all thank you later when you , the new generation screw it up. instead of slamming someone, why don't you back your statement up with something. How did he screw things up?? I don't recall him saying he is embarassed ( prob a word he knows how to spell btw). By him not wanting to shove his guns in peoples faces?? It is guys with your mindset that screw things up. do you think the majority of assclowns in Victoria or Ottawa are hunters and are sympathetic to us? Besides scrapping the registry, what were the other things they have done to help us out? Think about the mindset of those idiots that make our laws. They are the tree hugging, animal loving people that are screwing things up and your attitude won't do a damn thing but screw things up more.
Its old Fudds like you that screwed everything up so why don't you get out of the way and let the next generation of hunters who are not embarresed by what we are and what we do handle things from now on.

Rocky7
04-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Dang, that hurt. I'm one of those old Fudds, I guess. I won't take any responsibility personally 'cause I've pushed back as often as I could but I guess I'd have to say you are correct. It was my generation that began to squat to pee.

Sorry, bud. I don't know what the heck happened. I really don't. A whole bunch of my generation tried to stand for everything and, in the end, stood for nothing.

Iron Glove
04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Gee, what did I screw up ?
I may be an old Fudd ( actually an old guy but a relatively recent hunter ) but my opinion is worth no more, nor no less than yours. I'm not in the least "embarresed" by what I do, nor how I handle things. Maybe wisdom does come with age, hopefully you'll find that later in your life too.
I've introduced a number of you young 'uns to the outdoors, will be taking two novices out this year under the new BC Regs for novices. I am a member of 3 firearms Associations and one Fish & Game Club. Doesn't make me any more worthwhile than you but it also doesn't make me any less worthwhile than you.
Hunting and firearms ownership is sitting in a very precarious position now in Canada and it will take very little to swing society against us. But you keep carrying on "your way" and I'll keep on mine.
Maybe you just don't get reality - I'm not saying that the urbanites are right, I'm simply saying that the reality is that we are not exactly liked by them. And as such, we need to tread carefully to preserve our activities. The reality is that you act according to the reality of the situation you are in. The LM is a different reality than Kimberley.
But heck, if I'm still in your way, try and pass me. :wink:

andrewscag
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
In a free society people have the right to think whatever they want. As a result they also have the right to be offended by whatever they want. And I'm not about to tell someone they don't have the RIGHT to be offended by the sight of my gun in the back of the truck. If their opinion isn't based on facts and reason, that doesn't change the fact that they're entitled to it. It just means they're an idiot, and in a free society you have the right to be an idiot. I don't know about you guys, but I'm very uncomfortable with anyone telling me what I have the RIGHT to think and feel.

Just because someone may have the right to be offended about something however doesn't mean that they have the RIGHT to demand that someone else change their actions. Especially when it is regarding a safe and legal action which is a big part of Canadian heritage (as I understand it). Just because you're mad doesn't necessarily mean I did anything wrong.

My guns are a normal part of my life and I treat them that way. The same way I treat my fishing rod or laptop in the manner that the situation requires. I don't go out of my way to display them or to hide them, with no particular weight to the fact that they're firearms. I just follow the laws and if its most convenient for me to have it displayed then that's what I'll do. And I'd argue that a matter of fact attitude to firearms will do a lot more good as far as public opinion goes than a defiant stand for the sake of it will.

Everett
04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Dang, that hurt. I'm one of those old Fudds, I guess. I won't take any responsibility personally 'cause I've pushed back as often as I could but I guess I'd have to say you are correct. It was my generation that began to squat to pee.

Sorry, bud. I don't know what the heck happened. I really don't. A whole bunch of my generation tried to stand for everything and, in the end, stood for nothing.

Rocky I know all the Fudd generation didn't throw in the towel but enough did and they got us to were we are. My own Family didn't fight back they just ignored the laws as they always have and always will. Personaly I was over the ocean serving my country than over the ocean serving my pocket book so missed most of the battle. But since I have been home I have been of the mindset that there can be no peace with our enemies and by hiding our activities and our guns we aid the same. As far as I am concerned guys like Iron Glove and Cameron0518 are more the enemy of gun owners and hunters than the antis. To be honest I have more respect for the Antis.

itsy bitsy xj
04-04-2013, 09:07 PM
knowing you would get a reaction and either a visit from the police or stopped by them just so you can prove your point is a waste of all of the officers time. legal or not, good luck on changing peoples views and thanks for wasting officers time. and just a note... i am not a police lover by any means but they have better stuff to do than make sure you are proving your point legally. It's stuff like this that is intentionally done that urks me. know the laws, follow them, and be happy you can do what you can compared to other places but also be respectful of others and their views. i personally wouldn't give a sh*t seeing what you did but why urk others that don't understand and no matter what you say or do, will never change their mind? Oh wait, cause you can. lol. good job and hope to see more people wasting officers time cause you know that someone will call you in for you expressing your legal right.

First of all I did not go out looking to have an encounter with the police. I thought it might happen while I was driving but I certainly did not expect or want them at my home! I recently bought the rack for lazy days of road hunting, on my drive home I thought why not? Might as well try it out now rather when I have a better rifle in it. As for wasting their time... I'm not the fool that call them to report a pick up with a gun in it. For that you can thank some moron on Mary Hill Bypass. It seems alot "urks you" so a word of advise perhaps you shouldn't read anymore of my threads as its only going to get worst.

albravo2
04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm with the 'be loud, be proud' group. we have more to lose from hiding than we do the occasional chat with the boys in blue. doesn't hurt to remind them we are within our rights.

personally, i will be discreet with a dead animal but i see no reason to hide a gun when i'm driving.

XXXL bikinis are legal. doesn't mean folks should wear them out in public.

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM
lmao, yeah i am the problem. not sure how i am the enemy of gun owners. i believe in people abiding by the law and showing respect, something you obviously have no use for. i also think handgun laws are rediculous here as i can't carry one in the bush with the odd exception. we aren't in a battlefield here in the lower mainland so i don't feel the need or bravado to show that i own a firearm. because i don't flaunt my guns in peoples faces that would be offended? not once have i stated that i hide them. so you know as well, i enjoy a good debate if there are reasonable points being made so i don't mind continuing to read your posts. spelling mistakes urk me as well so i def will continue reading them. lol.

Iron Glove
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Rocky I know all the Fudd generation didn't throw in the towel but enough did and they got us to were we are. My own Family didn't fight back they just ignored the laws as they always have and always will. Personaly I was over the ocean serving my country than over the ocean serving my pocket book so missed most of the battle. But since I have been home I have been of the mindset that there can be no peace with our enemies and by hiding our activities and our guns we aid the same. As far as I am concerned guys like Iron Glove and Cameron0518 are more the enemy of gun owners and hunters than the antis. To be honest I have more respect for the Antis.

And I have way more respect for some of the antis than I have for the very few, really ignorant fireams owners like you. There now, we're even. :wink:
"no peace with our enemies" "Enemy of gun owners and hunters". You left out the "Subversive Commie Pinko Rats". :mrgreen: Boy, the unmitigated rhetoric of some.
But heck, I really, really do repect your intelligent remark.
Read my statements, it's all about respecting the situation that you are in and acting accordingly.
I'll put it real simple for you, maybe you can understand better: I let a gay employee of mine use our cabin in redneck country. I've suggested that whilst at the local bar they not start slipping each other tongue, it might offend the locals and cause an unwanted reaction. It's entirely legal for them to do such and I support their right to do such but they have to respect the situation ( i.e the locality they are in ) where they are.
But then, maybe your generation doesn't understand respect.

adriaticum
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Actually it's not the old Fudds that screwed things up at all.
Old Fudds built this country and know and appreciate what it takes to have a country.
It's the new generation of greenhorns who are f'n things up.
Tree huggin', NDP voting folk who grew up with a feeling of entitlement.
If you can blame old Fudds for something, blame them for not creating a new generation worthy of their inheritance.
Now I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush.

cameron0518
04-04-2013, 11:08 PM
another one well said.
Old Fudds built this country and know and appreciate what it takes to have a country.
If you can blame old Fudds for something, blame them for not creating a new generation worthy of their inheritance.

Mr. Dean
04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
I fail to see how, if my shotty is seen by Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow, it could be construed as being 'offensive'?
It's not like I'm walking around w/ my pecker dragging on the ground.

Isn't it really their problem and not mine?

Surrey Boy
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM

That's a telling line.

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Hard to believe the arguing I have started with this post.

To all those I have offened...Too bad!
I didn't go looking for a fight some asshat call the cops cause I did something they THOUGHT might be unsafe.

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
These conversations are always interesting. There is always the group that talks about "respect" and "sensitivity" and of course how "we need to take a cautious approach"

Of course, this approach has a few problems. For starters, respect is a two way street, and it's extremely disrespectful towards hunters to demand that they hide in the shadows and be considered a pariah.

The other really big problem is history. History has shown us that no group has ever achieved anything without stepping on a few toes. Some of you guys sound like you believe Rosa Parks should have never rocked the boat. I am sure you think that what Rosa did was a huge waste of police and court resources. After all, she didn't HAVE to "irk" anyone that day, there was no reason for her to tie up that valuable police time.

The comment about the Fudds screwing it up is pretty accurate. The Fudds were the ones who thought it was best to hide dead animals and guns, so that the rest of society would leave them alone. Of course the plan backfired in a huge way, and it's taken about 30 years for the pendulum to start winging back in favor of hunting and shooting. Of course there have always been older gun/hunting activists, but much of this recent change towards public acceptance has been driven by a younger, socially connected hunters, many of them who grew up in urban environments and have taken to hunting as a way to get good meat and have a new type of outdoors experience.

This younger generation puts up their hunting and shooting pics on Facebook and Tweets out about tier hunting trip. They are actively displaying their guns and game via social networks, showing all their non hunting urban friends their activities.

Make no mistake about it- Hiding your guns and game is one of the worst things anyone can do if they want to be accepted by society.Hunters and shooters used to be a very respected segment of society. Gays and non whites were the bottom of the barrel. In the same time frame that the most ostracized members of society gained complete equality, hunters became pariahs. If you look at the methods employed by gays and blacks (get out in front of everyone and make some noise, if you are offended that is not our problem) and hunters/shooters (hide your activities from everyone hoping not to offend anyone) I think it's easy to see who used the winning strategies, and who threw themselves under the bus....

Put something in front of people often enough, tell them that it is NORMAL BEHAVIOR and eventually people believe it. Hide it and treat it like something you are ashamed of, and you will shamed by the rest of society.

digger dogger
04-05-2013, 07:45 AM
We should have a, back window gun rack day organized.
Then maybe the word will get out that we can transport firearms any way that is legal and safe. (back window)

and maybe go back to hauling home your game on the hood/roof, ect.

We only got a couple of fingers after 1700k's on the hwy.
a lot of thumbs up tho..
http://i50.tinypic.com/2up7i4g.jpg

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
WEll Said Gatehouse

The Hermit
04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Gate nailed it from my perspective. A few years ago (maybe 10 years) I started slipping the fact that I hunt into lots of conversations ... cost me a few casual relationships, possibly a little business too but its also helped to enlighten lots of people that were neither for nor against hunting to think about it in a pretty positive light. I say share your stories and pictures... we need a "Pride" day!

Mishka
04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Yes, very well said, Gatehouse.

He wasn't shoving the gun in people's faces, he didn't swing a bloodied animal through town splattering blood on passing cars. He just drove around with a gun in a rack mounted in his truck, legally. Yes, the police responded to a complaint, as they must. But when it was determined all was good, they carried on. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

r106
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I fail to see how, if my shotty is seen by Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow, it could be construed as being 'offensive'?
It's not like I'm walking around w/ my pecker dragging on the ground.

Isn't it really their problem and not mine?

You wish buddy. Your wife told me it's like looking at a button in a bush. :mrgreen::tongue:

r106
04-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Wow that was perfect Gatehouse. Well said

albravo2
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Well said Gatehouse.

I'd love to have one of the old school back window gun racks in my truck. Does anyone know where to find them anymore?

adriaticum
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
These conversations are always interesting. There is always the group that talks about "respect" and "sensitivity" and of course how "we need to take a cautious approach"

Of course, this approach has a few problems. For starters, respect is a two way street, and it's extremely disrespectful towards hunters to demand that they hide in the shadows and be considered a pariah.

The other really big problem is history. History has shown us that no group has ever achieved anything without stepping on a few toes. Some of you guys sound like you believe Rosa Parks should have never rocked the boat. I am sure you think that what Rosa did was a huge waste of police and court resources. After all, she didn't HAVE to "irk" anyone that day, there was no reason for her to tie up that valuable police time.

The comment about the Fudds screwing it up is pretty accurate. The Fudds were the ones who thought it was best to hide dead animals and guns, so that the rest of society would leave them alone. Of course the plan backfired in a huge way, and it's taken about 30 years for the pendulum to start winging back in favor of hunting and shooting. Of course there have always been older gun/hunting activists, but much of this recent change towards public acceptance has been driven by a younger, socially connected hunters, many of them who grew up in urban environments and have taken to hunting as a way to get good meat and have a new type of outdoors experience.

This younger generation puts up their hunting and shooting pics on Facebook and Tweets out about tier hunting trip. They are actively displaying their guns and game via social networks, showing all their non hunting urban friends their activities.

Make no mistake about it- Hiding your guns and game is one of the worst things anyone can do if they want to be accepted by society.Hunters and shooters used to be a very respected segment of society. Gays and non whites were the bottom of the barrel. In the same time frame that the most ostracized members of society gained complete equality, hunters became pariahs. If you look at the methods employed by gays and blacks (get out in front of everyone and make some noise, if you are offended that is not our problem) and hunters/shooters (hide your activities from everyone hoping not to offend anyone) I think it's easy to see who used the winning strategies, and who threw themselves under the bus....

Put something in front of people often enough, tell them that it is NORMAL BEHAVIOR and eventually people believe it. Hide it and treat it like something you are ashamed of, and you will shamed by the rest of society.

I think most of the problem comes from urbanization and the fact that people don't know where food happens and how it happens.
I don't think there was a conscious effort by the hunters to undermine hunting rights.

Blainer
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Hard to believe the arguing I have started with this post.

To all those I have offened...Too bad!
I didn't go looking for a fight some asshat call the cops cause I did something they THOUGHT might be unsafe.asshat? or concerned citizen?

Mishka
04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I would think it was a concerned citizen. But the citizen was concerned due to ignorance. Why should we hide from that?

Iron Glove
04-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I think most of the problem comes from urbanization and the fact that people don't know where food happens and how it happens.
I don't think there was a conscious effort by the hunters to undermine hunting rights.

Good point and I tend to agree with you.
There has been little, if any effect on hunting and firearms attitudes and practices in the rural areas, guns are still displayed openly and game still rides on the hood - it's the urban areas where the "conflict" is. I agree with Gatehouse that education of the urban population is needed, I just disagree on the methods.
Comparing an urbanite hanging his rifle on a gun rack in his truck, a completely legal act, to Rosa Parks who was fighting, and likely risking her life, in challenging a law ( not an attitude ) is a bit of a stretch. I understand that at times hunters and firearms owners must stand up for their rights but it's all about picking your spots.
For the record, I have a gun rack in my truck and I do use it when driving around rural areas. In the LML it holds my window squeegie or a hockey stick. I deal in the Corporate World and I am not at all ashamed of the fact that I own firearms and hunt - I often wear a camo shirt to meetings and talk freely of my outdoor activities. At a recent Mediation our Lawyer was very interested in hunting and we discussed at great length his limited experiences in that field. I recently changed all of my personal retirement / investment portfolio over to a new firm. When the guy came to my office the first time I had my formal :wink: camo shirt on. He asked if I hunted and we had a great discussion - he's an avid hunter himself. I defend, in a rational, low key way hunting and firearms ownership to my friends, family and business connections.
It's all about picking your spots and using methods that work in the environment you are in. The LML needs the soft glove approach, rural BC is different.

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Perhaps 'asshat" is the wrong term corncerned citizen is much better so I do apologize. When I wrote that I was annoyed, not at the concerned citizen but at the attiutde of some people on this board. Accusing me of doing this to get an ego boost or going out of my way to piss off people I don't know. And that I expected or wanted the police at my home.

To Albravo2
I picked mine up two weeks ago from Walmart in Bellingham $10. It slides in to the trim around the window and is adjustable in hieght. Its only made of plastic but it works

Weatherby Fan
04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=itsy bitsy xj;1312616]Perhaps 'asshat" is the wrong term corncerned citizen is much better so I do apologize. When I wrote that I was annoyed, not at the concerned citizen but at the attiutde of some people on this board. Accusing me of doing this to get an ego boost or going out of my way to piss off people I don't know. And that I expected or wanted the police at my home.

I'm glad you did what you did as in the past I always had a gun rack in my truck and this brings up a great topic of discussion,

With that being said you have to expect some attention to the matter regardless of no wrong doing, there's always going to be concerned citizens out there doing what they think is right.

On top of that like most threads there will be alot of opinions injected on the situation.....some good some bad so you can't not expect to hear from both sides.
WF

Mr. Dean
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM

I agree, it wasn't conscious.
It was an ideal that farted backward and it's now time to not hold those farts in any more.

You know what they say if you don't allow gas to pass?
It will slowly rise up and infect a persons brain.... :wink:

Mr. Dean
04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
The big blemish against racks was that people would leave guns in them when they stopped somewhere - Be it the bar or a grocery store and it made it easy pickings for people with no scruples.

Rocky7
04-05-2013, 11:39 AM

I hear you. If it matters, I sat quiet for quite a while, too. I just kinda figured everybody would snap out of it one day and go back to minding their own business. They didn't. It got worse.

And if it matters, there's nobody who is now more determined to take back this thing called liberty and to resurrect this thing called personal responsibility than I am....and I am not the only Fudd who is fed up. You do have a point, though, and I wish I'd kicked back harder earlier. I expect other gray hairs feel the same way on that issue, too.

I guess we agree on other thing....neither one of us is going to walk on eggshells for anybody from here on in. Period.

In a strange way, I know what you mean about the antis. Maybe you'll understand when I say that feel the same about muslims. Traditional Islam is a barbaric, medieval religion and I will not give in; but I have to admit that at least they know who they are and they fight for it. That's more than I can say about our side.

HIGHRPM
04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I grew up with guns in the rear window and in the seat cover pocket, being very normal and nobody ever bitched. Move to a bigger city and boy do things change. Now you have to hide everything because fear the worst instead of expecting the normal that the owner is a responsible person. I am very glad you did that, as I am sure it raised some eyebrows, LOL !!

adriaticum
04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Vegetarians are gonna get us. :mrgreen:

itsy bitsy xj
04-05-2013, 02:16 PM
When you think about it I drove from Mission to Burnaby along Dewdney,Lougheed, Mary Hill and again Lougheed and only had one person call the police. I must encountered hundreds on people/cars alone that route in the middle of the afternoon.
The Burnaby RCMP told me there was only one complaint and it was on Mary Hill.

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 02:29 PM
]

That is part of the issue, but remember that the highest population of hunters in BC were always in the LML

Of course they didnt' do it consciously, but that was the result of their efforts to "be discrete"

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Good point and I tend to agree with you.
There has been little, if any effect on hunting and firearms attitudes and practices in the rural areas, guns are still displayed openly and game still rides on the hood - it's the urban areas where the "conflict" is. I agree with Gatehouse that education of the urban population is needed, I just disagree on the methods.
Comparing an urbanite hanging his rifle on a gun rack in his truck, a completely legal act, to Rosa Parks who was fighting, and likely risking her life, in challenging a law ( not an attitude ) is a bit of a stretch. I understand that at times hunters and firearms owners must stand up for their rights but it's all about picking your spots.

It's not a stretch at all. No change has ever come by hiding.

For the record, I have a gun rack in my truck and I do use it when driving around rural areas. In the LML it holds my window squeegie or a hockey stick. I deal in the Corporate World and I am not at all ashamed of the fact that I own firearms and hunt - I often wear a camo shirt to meetings and talk freely of my outdoor activities. At a recent Mediation our Lawyer was very interested in hunting and we discussed at great length his limited experiences in that field. I recently changed all of my personal retirement / investment portfolio over to a new firm. When the guy came to my office the first time I had my formal :wink: camo shirt on. He asked if I hunted and we had a great discussion - he's an avid hunter himself. I defend, in a rational, low key way hunting and firearms ownership to my friends, family and business connections.
It's all about picking your spots and using methods that work in the environment you are in. The LML needs the soft glove approach, rural BC is different.

Your "soft glove" approach is exactly what was preached a few decades ago. Net result? Drove hunting out of the public eye and it was perceived as something only inbred hillbilly hicks do. Whether you know it or not, you are propagating that myth when you make the distinction between what you deem appropriate in urban and rural areas with regards to a legal act.

adriaticum
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
]

That is part of the issue, but remember that the highest population of hunters in BC were always in the LML

Of course they didnt' do it consciously, but that was the result of their efforts to "be discrete"

Agreed.
We just need to live well and be proud of what we do.

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 02:54 PM
We would never be having this conversation if it weren't for the hunters of a few decades ago, trying to hide their activities in an effort to be left alone. Now we have hunters debating whether it's offensive to let someone see your firearm while you transport it.

Gay bashing used to be a pretty common practice a few decades ago, when gays were mostly trying to hide their activities in an effort to be left alone. Now we have legal gay marriage and public shaming of anyone that would marginalize gays.

Which group gained? Which group lost? What were the winning tactics?

More people going abbot their activities in the wide open, showing that they are not ashamed of what they do, the more the public will be used to seeing dead animals and guns, and the result will be nobody calls the cops on gun racks anymore...

mudduck
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
we have to hang together the antis win otherwise

Dragginbait
04-05-2013, 05:10 PM
My neighbor who is a middle aged ex-military man was visited by the cops when he carried a pellet gun out to his trailer to go camping with his wife and apparently another neighbor saw him carrying a gun and called the cops. The cops told him he should keep it out of sight next time. I told him to strap it to his back while he was cutting his lawn.

Iron Glove
04-05-2013, 06:10 PM
It's not a stretch at all. No change has ever come by hiding.

Your "soft glove" approach is exactly what was preached a few decades ago. Net result? Drove hunting out of the public eye and it was perceived as something only inbred hillbilly hicks do. Whether you know it or not, you are propagating that myth when you make the distinction between what you deem appropriate in urban and rural areas with regards to a legal act.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and both go on our own ways in trying to promote hunting in the ways that we each feel is correct.
I will say however that the "soft glove" ( hey I like that parody of my monicker :mrgreen: ) approach isn't from decades ago, it's much more recent than that, or at least that's been my experience.
I was going to play the "Rosa Parks" card a number of replies ago but felt that it was quite innapropriate under the circumstances and to be frank, totally irrelevant to the discussion. I stand by what I said about it - you simply can't compare someone risking their life to protest a law that deprived a group of their civil rights with someone who simply chose to do something that whilst might be considered in some circles as controversial, is legal and won't result in the possible death of him. I mean, common, what next, I wear my camo to the office and I figure I'm Nelson Mandela. :wink:

sky-gunner
04-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Fisherman don't hide there catch, hooks, or gaffs, butchers don't hide there meat, some even cut up the carcass in front of big windows with big knives and scary hooks, for all the customers, (general public) to see. And you know what? its doesn't seem to offend anyone, hell a lot of people, especially when it comes to fishing, wanna come have a look about and ask questions about what they are seeing. Why? because they don't hide it, they don't feel some kind of fear or shame about what they are doing. Its perfectly legal, and its fairly common thing so nobody feels offended or the need to call any authority's. We COULD as hunters have that same freedom to enjoy our passions for guns, wildlife, hunting and the outdoors, but its never going to happen. Not enough of us do something as simple and legal as transporting a rifle in a gun rack. Instead of being open about it, somewhere along the line we started hiding what we like to do, hiding our guns, taking off the camo before going in for a bite to eat, hiding the harvest ect. Then to make it worse, you have gun owners and hunters telling fellow hunters and gun owners that they are doing something wrong by doing something completely legal and within their rights. We wouldn't be viewed so suspiciously if we weren't so secretive. We are our own worst enemy. Most/some antis are only antis because of ignorance and some BS some other unknowing person told them. Educate them, display your guns or trophy buck, if not to cause conversation or inquiry, then to at least show that you have nothing to hide because ITS LEGAL.

aanderson
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Well every minority has a parade maybe its time Hunters , Trappers ,Gun-Owners had a parade , B.C. wide one common day every one camo's up and drives around with their riffle in the rack

Buckmaster
04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
No way of knowing what that "concerned citizen" was thinking. With the recent events being portrade in the media, he or she may have thought they were saving lives or something. May have been a gun owner themselves.

adriaticum
04-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Perhaps the reason gun owners started hiding and locking their firearms is because of increase in theft.
Nobody wants to have some shit rat steal their rifle and commit a crime with it.

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and both go on our own ways in trying to promote hunting in the ways that we each feel is correct.
I will say however that the "soft glove" ( hey I like that parody of my monicker :mrgreen: ) approach isn't from decades ago, it's much more recent than that, or at least that's been my experience.
I was going to play the "Rosa Parks" card a number of replies ago but felt that it was quite innapropriate under the circumstances and to be frank, totally irrelevant to the discussion. I stand by what I said about it - you simply can't compare someone risking their life to protest a law that deprived a group of their civil rights with someone who simply chose to do something that whilst might be considered in some circles as controversial, is legal and won't result in the possible death of him. I mean, common, what next, I wear my camo to the office and I figure I'm Nelson Mandela. :wink:

For whatever reason, you aren't getting the point....it's not about whether Rosa Parks act of protest was more important than a gun rack. It's about challenging the status quo.

If you want to change things, sometimes you need to step on a few toes.

Gateholio
04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Perhaps the reason gun owners started hiding and locking their firearms is because of increase in theft.
Nobody wants to have some shit rat steal their rifle and commit a crime with it.

Nope. The reason was already explained. Hunters thought if they hid thier activities the antis would leave them alone.

cameron0518
04-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Gatehouse does make some strong points I must say. At least he knows how to do it respectfully too.

Rocky7
04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
My neighbor who is a middle aged ex-military man was visited by the cops when he carried a pellet gun out to his trailer to go camping with his wife and apparently another neighbor saw him carrying a gun and called the cops. The cops told him he should keep it out of sight next time. I told him to strap it to his back while he was cutting his lawn.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/roflmao.gif

Rocky7
04-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Gatehouse does make some strong points I must say.

Yes, he does.

One of those is to point to the successful tactics used by our opponents. Gun controllers have never been shy, inoffensive, apologetic, accommodating or quiet. Quite the contrary. So........which side gained more ground over the last 40 years?

itsy bitsy xj
04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Well as I got one person calling the police because I had a rifle in the back windowof a pick up truck, think of what will happen when I have the roof off my Jeep and 3-4 rifles standing up against the roll bar (in plain view).

And I know some of you are going to slam me and say why poke the sleeping lion?...Because I can!

itsy bitsy xj
04-06-2013, 09:15 AM
My neighbours in my townhouse complexe here in Bby have gotten used to seeing me with guns going to and from my truck. Some have asked if I hutt and some have even asked if I could take them shooting. So slowly I am creating more shooters/hunters. None of these people have had any previous experience with firearms but have seen me carrying them, not hiding them. I wave, smile and say hello while I have a shotgun in hand.

sawmill
04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
My neighbours in my townhouse complexe here in Bby have gotten used to seeing me with guns going to and from my truck. Some have asked if I hutt and some have even asked if I could take them shooting. So slowly I am creating more shooters/hunters. None of these people have had any previous experience with firearms but have seen me carrying them, not hiding them. I wave, smile and say hello while I have a shotgun in hand.
If you live there and they ask if you hunt just smile and say"Nope"

Peter Pepper
04-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Nice, thanks for promoting our sport.

Iron Glove
04-06-2013, 04:07 PM
For whatever reason, you aren't getting the point....it's not about whether Rosa Parks act of protest was more important than a gun rack. It's about challenging the status quo.
If you want to change things, sometimes you need to step on a few toes.

With respect, I think it's you that's not getting my point at all. :icon_frow
I did not say that Rosa Park's protest was more, or less important, I said that her protest was a protest against a law. The gun rack "protest" was against perception or "feelings" about something that was perfectly legal to do. Big difference. Parks risked incarceration or possibly even death, the gun rack "protester" risked a call from the Police or maybe a snide comment from an anti. To compare the two was disingenuous.
I do agree that "protest" is needed, it's just that you need to choose your time and places and apply the appropriate means.
Ultimately my point, which you seem to be missing, or I seem to be explaining poorly, is simply that you have to adapt your actions to the situation that you are in. As your Pappa might have said to you "There's more than one way to skin a cat."
If you think that promoting firearms and hunting in the urban environment is exactly the same as in a rural environment then I would suggest that you are doomed to fail, at least in the urban environment.

Gateholio
04-06-2013, 04:18 PM
]
With respect, I think it's you that's not getting my point at all. :icon_frow
I did not say that Rosa Park's protest was more, or less important, I said that her protest was a protest against a law. The gun rack "protest" was against perception or "feelings" about something that was perfectly legal to do. Big difference. Parks risked incarceration or possibly even death, the gun rack "protester" risked a call from the Police or maybe a snide comment from an anti. To compare the two was disingenuous.

Again, you are reading too much into it. I'll try to make it as simple as possible-Regardless of your particular issue,acceptance has only occurred when someone decided to make some noise. Doesn't matter if it is save the whales, get the rigth to vote, black equality, gay rights or women's rights. Nothing has ever been achieved without getting out and getting visible, getting people to talk, challenging people to think.

I do agree that "protest" is needed, it's just that you need to choose your time and places and apply the appropriate means.
Ultimately my point, which you seem to be missing, or I seem to be explaining poorly, is simply that you have to adapt your actions to the situation that you are in. As your Pappa might have said to you "There's more than one way to skin a cat."
If you think that promoting firearms and hunting in the urban environment is exactly the same as in a rural environment then I would suggest that you are doomed to fail, at least in the urban environment.

There is indeed a big difference between promoting hunting in an urban and rural environment. In urban areas, you have to be much more visible, otherwise you get drowned out.

You advocate a passive approach that has never really worked except with those in your immediate circle. Nothing wrong with that of course, but to get widespread acceptance that guns and hunting are NORMAL, then they must be treated as NORMAL and not hidden away, desperately trying not to offend anyone.

ytlogger
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Hmmm... lots of thought provoking comments made here. Provoking thought is perhaps the most important thing we can do as hunters and gun owners/users. I work with powersaws that are valued at or near that of my rifles and I would be unlikely to drive around or park in a big city with those displayed in the back of my truck, because I simply don't want them stolen. For the same reason I probably wouldn't drive around advertising my rifles. That being said, I don't hide them because I am ashamed, or afraid of "anti" activities or activists. I never shy away from an opportunity to talk about and promote hunting or shooting with anyone. I have known many more non-hunters who adopted a hunting/shooting/treefalling consumptive life after being exposed to it in a positive way, than the reverse. I don't care if any of you choose to carry your guns in a rear window rack or under your seat in a case, but what I do think is that everyone should become active in your community; your fish and game club; wildlife federation; gun club; and any other venue possible to promote 'the life'. Take the initiative with your political representatives and push them to assert your cause. Seize every opportunity to introduce kids to safe and responsible hunting and shooting. Wear your heart on your sleeve and be that NORMAL person, who is a proud firearm owner.

DR800
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Hmmm... lots of thought provoking comments made here. Provoking thought is perhaps the most important thing we can do as hunters and gun owners/users. I work with powersaws that are valued at or near that of my rifles and I would be unlikely to drive around or park in a big city with those displayed in the back of my truck, because I simply don't want them stolen. For the same reason I probably wouldn't drive around advertising my rifles. That being said, I don't hide them because I am ashamed, or afraid of "anti" activities or activists. I never shy away from an opportunity to talk about and promote hunting or shooting with anyone. I have known many more non-hunters who adopted a hunting/shooting/treefalling consumptive life after being exposed to it in a positive way, than the reverse. I don't care if any of you choose to carry your guns in a rear window rack or under your seat in a case, but what I do think is that everyone should become active in your community; your fish and game club; wildlife federation; gun club; and any other venue possible to promote 'the life'. Take the initiative with your political representatives and push them to assert your cause. Seize every opportunity to introduce kids to safe and responsible hunting and shooting. Wear your heart on your sleeve and be that NORMAL person, who is a proud firearm owner.
Right on man, perfect.

rides bike to work
04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I like the lines gate house has made between hunters and gays. We have guns and are proud. We will hang our guns out for the public to see.

i think even most gays understand that gay public affection makes the public uncomfortable and respect that.
Except two chicks that's hot. They can walk around with there canons out anytime far as I'm concerned.
reminds me of the lady who rode her bike topless everyday in Vancouver. Good from far but far from good. Made you wish you never looked .

in my mind its a time and place issue.

if your hunting use the gun rack.
if your at the nude beach wip your tits out
if enough people find your actions offensive the power in numbers might take away those rights that you have.

i will admit I may be wrong

russm
04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
^^ I too support the whipping out of tits, BUT only if they're not sagged out gorilla tits.

Iron Glove
04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
]

Again, you are reading too much into it. I'll try to make it as simple as possible-Regardless of your particular issue,acceptance has only occurred when someone decided to make some noise. Doesn't matter if it is save the whales, get the rigth to vote, black equality, gay rights or women's rights. Nothing has ever been achieved without getting out and getting visible, getting people to talk, challenging people to think.

There is indeed a big difference between promoting hunting in an urban and rural environment. In urban areas, you have to be much more visible, otherwise you get drowned out.

You advocate a passive approach that has never really worked except with those in your immediate circle. Nothing wrong with that of course, but to get widespread acceptance that guns and hunting are NORMAL, then they must be treated as NORMAL and not hidden away, desperately trying not to offend anyone.

Gates, fair enough.
I'll leave it by just saying that if we all do something to promote hunting in a positive fashion, whether it be passive or widespread, then we are all heading to the same destination, just by different roads.
As some would say "it's not how you play the game, it's whether you win or not."
Peace Bro'. :wink:

adriaticum
04-06-2013, 09:50 PM
TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and
(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
(2) Subject to subsection
(3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
(a) is not visible; and
(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically if you are in the vehicle transporting a non-restricted firearm, the only requirement is that it is unloaded.

Maybe we should have a regulation section on the forum to have these regulations in plain English and avoid all the mambo jumbo.

itsy bitsy xj
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
TRANSPORTATION OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
1) An individual may transport a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) except in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, it is unloaded; and
(b) in the case of a muzzle-loading firearm that is being transported between hunting sites, its firing cap or flint is removed.
(2) Subject to subsection
(3), an individual may transport a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle only if
(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and
(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the non-restricted firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the non-restricted firearm, is securely locked.
(3) If, in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, an individual is transporting a non-restricted firearm in an unattended vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, and the vehicle or the part of it that contains the non-restricted firearm cannot be securely locked, the individual shall ensure that the non-restricted firearm
(a) is not visible; and
(b) is rendered inoperable by a secure locking device, unless the individual reasonably requires the non-restricted firearm for the control of predators.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically if you are in the vehicle transporting a non-restricted firearm, the only requirement is that it is unloaded.

Maybe we should have a regulation section on the forum to have these regulations in plain English and avoid all the mambo jumbo.

I don't think anyone was questioning if what I did was legal, I think we all agree that it was legal.
It seems some people think I am some how endangering our right to have and transport a rifle by "offending" a concerned citizen by displaying a rifle while transporting it in the lower mainland

chilko
04-07-2013, 08:33 AM
I think most Canadians , correctly or incorrectly, view us as less of a gun society than our neighbors to the south and are quite smug and happy about that If suddenly guns became visible on a large scale in the lower mainland I suspect a negative backlash would be be more likely than general acceptance.
As with all things , money talks. If you want to protect hunting and the shooting sports, spend as much as you can afford on things that directly trace back to these activities.

ruger#1
04-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I don't think anyone was questioning if what I did was legal, I think we all agree that it was legal.
It seems some people think I am some how endangering our right to have and transport a rifle by "offending" a concerned citizen by displaying a rifle while transporting it in the lower mainland There are just to many bleeding heart do gooders in Canada.

kgs
04-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Its interesting that in the lower mainland if you show your gun the police are called. During hunting season I carry my rifles in a rack and i have never been stopped or hassled by any cop or citizen. Most likely due to the fact that hunting and target shooting are more accepted as normal in northern BC. I was stopped a couple of times by CO's but all they were concerned with was anything loaded that's it.

He did nothing wrong in my opinion its just that some people who are uninformed or frighten by guns that make stupid phone calls to the police. As for the police i agree with them at least checking it out as you never know what the situation is. I have no issues with the police doing there job however I have learned that even though the police go thru training they are not taught alot about gun laws so i actually carry with me in my truck info on gun laws ie transportation ectra so if challenged i produce info from their website.

Mr. Dean
04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I think if the cops down here were to become inundated with firearm calls, they would start scrutinizing the complaints better.

Like c'mon,,,, a gun in a rack going 80kph down a hwy calls for a mandatory home visit by the RCMP - (?). I don't think so....
It doesn't happen anywhere else in the province so why should people that live in the LML be 'discriminated' like this.

What would they have done if itsy wasn't home?
Start a man-hunt for him, issue warrants????

And when they were done with the home interview, would it be 'mandatory' for them to discuss how irrational the complaint was to the caller of the complaint?

Things are screwed up because we let them be because of our passiveness.

Gateholio
04-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I think if the cops down here were to become inundated with firearm calls, they would start scrutinizing the complaints better.

Like c'mon,,,, a gun in a rack going 80kph down a hwy calls for a mandatory home visit by the RCMP - (?). I don't think so....
It doesn't happen anywhere else in the province so why should people that live in the LML be 'discriminated' like this.

What would they have done if itsy wasn't home?
Start a man-hunt for him, issue warrants????

And when they were done with the home interview, would it be 'mandatory' for them to discuss how irrational the complaint was to the caller of the complaint?

Things are screwed up because we let them be because of our passiveness.

Absolutely correct. If they got a "gun rack" call every day or 2, eventually they would change their response. Maybe they run the plates "he's got a PAL, forget it" or maybe they call someone instead of dropping by the house, or maybe they only follow up with people that don't' have PAL's according to their plate #.

The whole concept of police response to a gun rack call is a bit funny anyway. Is a gangster going to carry his rifle exposed in the back window? Probably not. Only people with nothing to hide are going to be using a gun rack!

Mr. Dean
04-07-2013, 01:32 PM
The whole concept of police response to a gun rack call is a bit funny anyway.

A bit funny?
I really think it to be ludicrous.

Is a gangster going to carry his rifle exposed in the back window? Probably not. Only people with nothing to hide are going to be using a gun rack!

Bang-on.

Rocky7
04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
It seems some people think I am some how endangering our right to have and transport a rifle by "offending" a concerned citizen by displaying a rifle while transporting it in the lower mainland

You think your rights can be lost if you do something that offends somebody! Novel concept.

So.....where do you think rights come from, I wonder.

rides bike to work
04-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Is it legal to walk into an elemtary school with a rifle.
Mabey but its still stupid

digger dogger
04-07-2013, 07:40 PM
from another thread..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?67609-Unloaded-gun-in-vehicle&p=921355#post921355

Salty
04-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Is it legal to walk into an elemtary school with a rifle.
Mabey but its still stupid

You need to reread the rules that got you your licence

aggiehunter
04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
theyz gots open carry in thu states too...check out how stooppid some of them look on Yuzetoob...hurry up Canucks..lets get amercanized....

Salty
04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Open carry of hand guns has been the norm in many states for years and years. Concealed carry is another deal you need checks and licences for that. Actually I've can't think of any crimes down south where someone pulled the hog's leg out of the holster and went all gangsta with a 45 colt.

Jelvis
04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Wood it be legal to drive around and have the rifle pointed out the passenger side window, empty of course and with a trigger lock?

adriaticum
04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Wood it be legal to drive around and have the rifle pointed out the passenger side window, empty of course and with a trigger lock?

87. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, points a firearm at another person, whether the firearm is loaded or unloaded.

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.

Jelvis
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds about right. I mean who wood do that anyways? You know I haven't seen guns on a gunrack in a pick up for years, I can't remember how long ago.
When I was young I saw lots. I remember going down to the 401 bridge during hunting season and watching trucks go under from the north with moose antlers and heads on the front bumpers. Now never see em.
Jel .. I guess things have changed in the modern days ..

aggiehunter
04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
it's just plain fun to watch those fat POS's carrying their gat's into Arby's....just cuz they can.....oh...and they always have their GO Pros on their Love it or Leave it Hat to video the oppressive officer.

Gateholio
04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Sounds about right. I mean who wood do that anyways? You know I haven't seen guns on a gunrack in a pick up for years, I can't remember how long ago.
When I was young I saw lots. I remember going down to the 401 bridge during hunting season and watching trucks go under from the north with moose antlers and heads on the front bumpers. Now never see em.
Jel .. I guess things have changed in the modern days ..

Yup, it's sad how hunters allowed themselves to become outcasts in this country. American gun owners always fought back, while CAnadians hid, and of course guns are much more accepted there because of it.

The Hermit
04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Yup, it's sad how hunters allowed themselves to become outcasts in this country. American gun owners always fought back, while CAnadians hid, and of course guns are much more accepted there because of it.

Although I agree with the sentiment in fact it is the existence of the Second Amendment and the "right" to bear arms that Americans enjoy. Canadians do not have an enshrined right we have a privilege that can be taken away at any time on the whim of the next elected government! The Federal Liberals and the NDP, both Provincially and Federally, have such leanings and possibly intentions.

adriaticum
04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Although I agree with the sentiment in fact it is the existence of the Second Amendment and the "right" to bear arms that Americans enjoy. Canadians do not have an enshrined right we have a privilege that can be taken away at any time on the whim of the next elected government! The Federal Liberals and the NDP, both Provincially and Federally, have such leanings and possibly intentions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju4Gla2odw

itsy bitsy xj
04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
It would be nice to have a poll to see how many think what I did was bad for our sport and how many support what I did and will bail me out when I get that over zelous cop next time

Mr. Dean
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
It would be nice to have a poll to see how many think what I did was bad for our sport and how many support what I did and will bail me out when I get that over zelous cop next time

You have the ability to start a poll. It's an option when you start a new thread.
FWIW, I don't place a lot of trust in others helping me out when I'm down - Most are all too happy to just look the other way in fear of being in the 'radar'.

Hell, when robbed, many are of the belief that you brought it on yourself........

Yup, it's just you and me bud!
When we're lying on the soiled floor of the skytrain platform, pissing and shitting ourselves from the tasering we got, all because we asked "why" when ordered to drop our guns, I WILL have your back. :wink:

itsy bitsy xj
04-08-2013, 07:52 AM
You have the ability to start a poll. It's an option when you start a new thread.
FWIW, I don't place a lot of trust in others helping me out when I'm down - Most are all too happy to just look the other way in fear of being in the 'radar'.

Hell, when robbed, many are of the belief that you brought it on yourself........

Yup, it's just you and me bud!
When we're lying on the soiled floor of the skytrain platform, pissing and shitting ourselves from the tasering we got, all because we asked "why" when ordered to drop our guns, I WILL have your back. :wink:

Yeah I didn't think many would actually come to my rescue but I would like to know how many support and how many disapprove of carrying rifles in view of the public in the lower mainland

Rocky7
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

Isn't that the truth! Far too many gun owners have waited for "them" to do something. At the same time, a bunch of egotistical, generally-uninformed moral busybodies have been running to and fro peddling fear, twisting facts sandwiched between one whipped up "what if" after another.

Here's the deal:

We are the people we have been waiting for.

Marlin375
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
The whole concept of police response to a gun rack call is a bit SAD anyway. !

Fixed it for ya GH.

The RCMP did not solve anything, they should have explained to the caller that what she/he observed was not illegal.....at least they would have solved part of the problem and kept it from reoccuring. Do they really have to respond to every complaint? or just the "I saw a gun" complaints

Marlin375
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM

What is it with you guys and your trigger locks on long arms?. Apart from some weak canada post shipping rule, I have yet to read where a trigger lock is required on a rifle.......help me out.

boxhitch
04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah I didn't think many would actually come to my rescue but I would like to know how many support and how many disapprove of carrying rifles in view of the public in the lower mainlandThe LML has the highest number of hunters of any region of BC. So take a look around and see how many others are packing in plain sight. Take that from the total and you probably get the remainder of I-don't-care-can't-be-bothered majority.

cameron0518
04-08-2013, 05:22 PM
One of the best two sided debates on here in my opinion. Great points on both sides. Even got me thinking about things both ways. As a hard headed guy, I still am open minded and love a great debate. At the end of the day, none of us are enemies to gun owners though, I choose not to flash my firearms but I like to display my antlers coming back from my hunt.

BCBRAD
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3943311/Hornady_new_dimension_die_s_ju

Rocky7
04-08-2013, 06:05 PM
What is it with you guys and your trigger locks on long arms?. Apart from some weak canada post shipping rule, I have yet to read where a trigger lock is required on a rifle.......help me out.

Correct. It isn't required. I do not own one and I will never own one. Period.

First, I do not require the government to instruct me on everything firearm-related. I am well-schooled in firearm safety. I also know my kids. I am in the best position to decide what to do and when to do it. I will not tolerate a self-appointed parent in my life. As for the risk of thievery, I simply require thieves to stay out of my house. So do my dogs.

Second, I could like to tell you about a guy I know who went elk hunting way back in the boonies and then discovered he had forgot his trigger lock key at home. Well, I guess you know the rest. His hunt was ruined for no reason other than some unnecessary storage laws passed for emotional reasons.

BTW, these dumb storage laws were passed in reaction to the Ecole shootings. There was no connection, it was just something that was tossed out there to appease the gun controllers.

albravo2
04-08-2013, 06:41 PM
On my way to Bellingham Wally-world tomorrow to get mine. Hopefully there haven't been a bunch of HBCers down there hoovering all of them off the shelves.

I'm pretty sure my rear window tint will mean that I don't make much of a political statement but I'm ready for the discussion if it comes up.

Agent Orange
04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I was in a local gun shop a couple days ago buying my license and tags when I over heard the salesman at the counter asking a customer if he wanted to buy a trigger lock so he could transport his rifle home. I asked him if it was a non restricted rifle and when he said yes I told him he didn't need a trigger lock. The salesman told me I was wrong and that the gun either needed to have a trigger lock or be in a locked case during transport and that he couldn't leave the vehicle unattended at any time. I wasn't about to get into an argument but it made me think about this thread and it goes to show you how many people need to be educated. Even the people who are selling the guns

adriaticum
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
I was in a local gun shop a couple days ago buying my license and tags when I over heard the salesman at the counter asking a customer if he wanted to buy a trigger lock so he could transport his rifle home. I asked him if it was a non restricted rifle and when he said yes I told him he didn't need a trigger lock. The salesman told me I was wrong and that the gun either needed to have a trigger lock or be in a locked case during transport and that he couldn't leave the vehicle unattended at any time. I wasn't about to get into an argument but it made me think about this thread and it goes to show you how many people need to be educated. Even the people who are selling the guns

Good point.
If you are in the car, the only requirement is that it's unloaded.
If you have to leave the vehicle then you have to have a trigger lock or the gun has to be in a locked trunk.
You never know whether you will be forced to leave the vehicle so trigger lock is a good idea.
Trigger lock is always a good idea I think.

itsy bitsy xj
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
On my way to Bellingham Wally-world tomorrow to get mine. Hopefully there haven't been a bunch of HBCers down there hoovering all of them off the shelves.

I'm pretty sure my rear window tint will mean that I don't make much of a political statement but I'm ready for the discussion if it comes up.

Ask at the hunting counter. They should have them on the self right there

r106
04-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Good point.
If you are in the car, the only requirement is that it's unloaded.
If you have to leave the vehicle then you have to have a trigger lock or the gun has to be in a locked trunk.
You never know whether you will be forced to leave the vehicle so trigger lock is a good idea.
Trigger lock is always a good idea I think.

Not true. In a Pickup - unloaded and out of sight and doors locked. In a car - unloaded and in the locked trunk. NO Trgger lock required. Thats it

Leaving any class of firearms in an
unattended vehicle

Lock non-restricted firearms
and locked containers carrying
restricted or prohibited firearms
in the trunk or in a similar
lockable compartment.

If the vehicle does not have a
trunk or lockable compartment,
put firearms and firearm
containers out of sight inside the
vehicle and lock the vehicle.

itsy bitsy xj
04-08-2013, 07:19 PM

I wonder how many people they have unnecessarily sold trigger locks to?

r106
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
this info should be the most basic common knowledge to all gun owners. Especially at a gun store

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/storage-entreposage-eng.htm

mattmckay
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Things are not really that much different than 40+ years ago. My father ended up surrounded by RC's after exchanging a borrowed 22 in a shopping centre parking lot in Langly before I was born. Concerned citizen made a call.

itsy bitsy xj
04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow forty years ago you have bought that 22 at the K-mart or Buckerfields in Langley lol

adriaticum
04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Not true. In a Pickup - unloaded and out of sight and doors locked. In a car - unloaded and in the locked trunk. NO Trgger lock required. Thats it

Leaving any class of firearms in an
unattended vehicle

Lock non-restricted firearms
and locked containers carrying
restricted or prohibited firearms
in the trunk or in a similar
lockable compartment.

If the vehicle does not have a
trunk or lockable compartment,
put firearms and firearm
containers out of sight inside the
vehicle and lock the vehicle.

You're right. Just the car has to be locked.
My vehicle does not have a trunk or an area where I can hide the gun so I always have a trigger lock and a locked carrying case.

The reason they sell trigger locks is because everyone recommends you should go above and beyond what the law requires.
Plus I would hate to be shot, or someone else with my own rifle.

For $10, trigger lock is a great idea.

adriaticum
04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
If I take a rifle in a gun rack to my Jury selection day, will the choose me?

aggiehunter
04-08-2013, 09:08 PM
the easy rider rifle rack is a thing of the past boys....we need to show people we are the ones that should be allowed to have firearms for civil purposes..not flaunting our inherint right to show them off....that does more harm than good....the best soldiers in any war were previously taught....so we all know who is going to look to whom when something goes bad....us....the honest law abiding gun owner.

Drillbit
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
The reason they sell trigger locks is because everyone recommends you should go above and beyond what the law requires.

I don't recommend going above and beyond any law.

I simply recommend using common sense.

Trigger locks are a joke. If you really want your gun to be useless, lock up the ammo.

Everett
04-08-2013, 10:29 PM
the easy rider rifle rack is a thing of the past boys....we need to show people we are the ones that should be allowed to have firearms for civil purposes..not flaunting our inherint right to show them off....that does more harm than good....the best soldiers in any war were previously taught....so we all know who is going to look to whom when something goes bad....us....the honest law abiding gun owner.

Well if we do things your way there will be no gun owners. Flaunt it or lose it boys.

Marlin375
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
....so we all know who is going to look to whom when something goes bad....us....the honest law abiding gun owner.

Don't you think it would be alot easier for "who" to find the honest law abiding gun owner if they all carried at least one gun in his back window? .........as pointed out earlier, bad guys don't put them in the back window, just the honest ones like the OP.

Rocky7
04-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Things are not really that much different than 40+ years ago. My father ended up surrounded by RC's after exchanging a borrowed 22 in a shopping centre parking lot in Langly before I was born. Concerned citizen made a call.

I beg to differ.

Less than 40 yrs. ago I owned a Ruger Super Single 6. I like to shoot gophers. I was concerned about the ATT implications since I was just going out into pasture behind my house and into land owned by acquaintances who would appreciate some thinning of their gophers.

I went to see the Sgt. at the local RCMP detatchment and told him of my plans. I asked if he had a problem with that. "I don't care about you carrying around a .22 calibre revolver", he said. "I'd be a lot more worried if you had a 12 ga." (made perfect sense to me). "Just don't wave it around when people drive by. I don't want to deal with complaints."

Now, remember that it was technically illegal to carry my revolver anywhere execpt to a shooting range. It's a whole lot different now, bud. A few decades ago, LE was mostly men who could think. Now............not so much.

Mr. Dean
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
As society gets bogged down in regulation, less thinking becomes the norm.
So if a situation arises that requires thought, people tend to look to someone of authority for an answer.

Gateholio
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
You're right. Just the car has to be locked.
My vehicle does not have a trunk or an area where I can hide the gun so I always have a trigger lock and a locked carrying case.

Plus I would hate to be shot, or someone else with my own rifle.

Just wondering what is the purpose of "going above and beyond" with a trigger lock? What does it actually accomplish?

Gateholio
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
If I take a rifle in a gun rack to my Jury selection day, will the choose me?

Do they inspect your vehicle as part of the jury selection process?

adriaticum
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Just wondering what is the purpose of "going above and beyond" with a trigger lock? What does it actually accomplish?

Basically I don't have to worry if I leave the vehicle or not, if the vehicle is locked or not, if the rifle is in plain view or not.
I don't give the powers at be any reason to doubt me. And I don't hide the fact that I like guns and hunting.
Also if the gun gets stolen it will take a little more to shoot it.
Plus if one gets into some kind of kerfuffle (and you know shit happens) the gun has one more safety on it.
Call me crazy if you like but I always transport my rifles with trigger locks and in locked carrying cases.

adriaticum
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Do they inspect your vehicle as part of the jury selection process?

Lol, I have no idea. Never done it before.

Gateholio
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Basically I don't have to worry if I leave the vehicle or not, if the vehicle is locked or not, if the rifle is in plain view or not.
I don't give the powers at be any reason to doubt me. And I don't hide the fact that I like guns and hunting.
Also if the gun gets stolen it will take a little more to shoot it.
Plus if one gets into some kind of kerfuffle (and you know shit happens) the gun has one more safety on it.
Call me crazy if you like but I always transport my rifles with trigger locks and in locked carrying cases.

Strange logic. You would prefer to put an easy to defeat trigger lock on your rifle to avoid having to lock your vehicle. That's not actually going above and beyond the law.

adriaticum
04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Strange logic. You would prefer to put an easy to defeat trigger lock on your rifle to avoid having to lock your vehicle. That's not actually going above and beyond the law.

Not exactly.
I never leave my vehicle unlocked but in the odd chance that in this new world of multitasking I forget to lock it, it doesn't give anyone a reason to question me.
Shit happens in Surrey and cops are everywhere, lol.

Dannybuoy
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Not exactly.
I never leave my vehicle unlocked but in the odd chance that in this new world of multitasking I forget to lock it, it doesn't give anyone a reason to question me.
Shit happens in Surrey and cops are everywhere, lol.
IIRC actually "in plain sight" it does give them the right to question you :-D

adriaticum
04-09-2013, 02:05 PM
IIRC actually "in plain sight" it does give them the right to question you :-D

Never in plain sight.
Always in a locked case on the back seat or in the covered area in the rear.
Although if I am in the car it can be in plain sight.
If the cops pull me over and see that the gun has a trigger lock on it,
they will be more comfortable than if it didn't ;)

Gateholio
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
If you want to make the cop more comfortable, give him a foot rub.

adriaticum
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

I always have a box of donuts in the car.
They may be stale, but always puts cops at ease.
They think I'm one of them.

Rocky7
04-09-2013, 04:10 PM

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/xd.png

It's a sad state of affairs when people constrain themselves so as not to offend the police. There are words for places like that. "Canada" is not one of them.

hawk-i
04-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I always have a box of donuts in the car.
They may be stale, but always puts cops at ease.
They think I'm one of them.

LOL, good one, sort of like law enforcement camouflage.

jhausner
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't go around flaunting the fact I'm a firearm owner and/or hunter, but I don't hide the fact. When I was asked several years ago what I was going to do on my October vacation, I said plain and clearly to our director, "Hunt for Moose and Deer." and it suddenly went into a question and answer period about "Oh I didn't know you hunt." and a good conversation. I've had a few others go "Oh really? I don't think I could ever hunt." then they typically still launch into questions. So while I do think it is a right we should have (maybe not to the extreme they have in the US), I don’t actively go around with a rifle strapped to my back walking through populated areas. And tend to be more cautious the closer to big towns I get. Middle of Clinton BC? I’m less “hidey” about things.

As for law enforcement, based on the original post, can’t fault the cops at all. And almost all situations I’ve seen, you can’t really fault the cops. We do live in a city of over 2 million people here in Metro-Vancouver with gangs and crime. Do citizens jump to extreme conclusions? Sure. But it’s because we’re drilled every day to report anything “out of the ordinary” so I do see the concept behind people thinking we should show firearms more often to get people more used to them and as scared as them as they are their kitchen knives (which account for more deaths in many provinces than firearms).

Still though, if 911 received a call of someone driving around “with a high powered rifle with a scope.” I’d absolutely expect cops to look into it. That’s their job and if it was a real criminal out to cause harm and they ignored it, the media and citizens would be all over them for not protecting people. If you look at how they react though, they asked questions, checked the license, then were on their way.

Even an extreme example of those kids in Downtown Vancouver where 1 was showing the other his rifle in a trunk in a back alley and people called the cops and the VPD swarmed and arrested them. At the end of the day there were no charges and while they surely got quite the scare, everything was made right.

Some may see those instances as a bit “extreme” but it is a fine line between firearms rights and the developing world where everyone drives around in pickups holding AK-47s and shooting at people they don’t like. We do need some level of order and police enforcement to keep things as in check as possible so for the most part I commend our law enforcement officers.

Mr. Dean
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Cops do only what they're told, can't kick 'em for that.

itsy bitsy xj
04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Cops do only what they're told, can't kick 'em for that.

Lets hope no one tells them to tazer us on the skytrain then

Dannybuoy
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
keep your hands in your pockets and eyes forward and you will be fine :-D

j270wsm
04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
My question is, did someone from the police/RCMP call the complainant and explain that it is LEGAL to transport a firearm in plain sight

That's where a lot of the problems start. People call the cops because they think your doing something illegal, but how often do the cops call the complainant back and educate them when there wrong.

adriaticum
04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
My question is, did someone from the police/RCMP call the complainant and explain that it is LEGAL to transport a firearm in plain sight

That's where a lot of the problems start. People call the cops because they think your doing something illegal, but how often do the cops call the complainant back and educate them when there wrong.

Most excellent point!

BuckNaked
08-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Desensitizing the public ? Good luck with that
There would be a better chance of getting the CORE into all local schoools

You COULD take it in my school when i was a kid, 25 years ago!

okanagan
08-17-2013, 05:58 AM

I think you are good to go as long as you don't reach for the stapler,

Rackem
08-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Personally, I would not want to be a heat sink. Not a fan of police interference. But if you don't mind taking one for the team...:)