PDA

View Full Version : Who Gets to take the Shot?

Isaiahdahl
04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Say you and a couple of buddies are out on a spring bear hunt, all of you have bear tags, and you just happen to join in together. You spot a nice trophy size black bear but who gets to take the shot and call it "Their Bear"

This kinda relates to all big-game, how do you decide who gets to take the shot?

andrewscag
04-02-2013, 10:37 PM
We decide before we go out. Usually whoever traveled farthest/has the least time gets first shot. Anything seen on the drive depends on which side its on. I usually hunt with only one buddy. We usually agree to split the meat if only one of us connects. Haven't had an argument yet and that keeps it more of a group effort.

Ry151
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
He who spots it first takes it. Also previous years come into play if your with a old hunting partner. Also who needs the meat more, if buddy one can only hunt two days but the rest can hunt all week than buddy one has first shot.

sledforever
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
First one to spot gets right of refusal. If they don't want it then the next person to see it gets to take the shot.

Trophyslayer
04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Spotter is the shooter unless other agreements have been made. I don't like eating bears so I'd let my buddy shoot it so he can deal with that Nasty meat. I usually don't hunt right beside my partners so its never really an issue we always split up it has proven to be more effective an there's no arguing about this kind of stuff

steel_ram
04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Who cares, it's just a bear.

Moosehunter64
04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Who ever has the best shot.

BiG Boar
04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

We have done a your day my day hunt also. This way it takes the pressure off.

Meat splitting should be discussed pre hunt always. Just to make sure there is no discrepancy.

RiverOtter
04-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Bears are often road hunted, so the "He who spots it, shoots it" is sometimes tough, as they have a way of just popping in front of the truck and everybody sees it "first".

We a pick a guy for pop-ups, all other bears are first dibs to the spotter....

Roughneck Country
04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
coin toss before the hunt, or draw straws if multiple people are on the hunt. as mentioned if its an old hunting partner then previous seasons to take into concideration

Gun Dog
04-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Whoever has the newest gun.

Fella
04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Whoever has the fastest aim...

:twisted:

kayjayess
04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
It's all about communication right. Usually who spots shoots it or has first right of refusal. If you have a great partner and won't be an issue. If you are hunting with a wanker it will - and it's time for a new partner. I have never had any issues over the years as I have hunted with great guys. I have heard tons of horror stories though and makes you really appreciate good partners. They are worth their weight in gold and something you want to respect so you don't lose them. imho

MacMtnHunter
04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

Meat splitting should be discussed pre hunt always. Just to make sure there is no discrepancy.

Sounds about right...

steel_ram
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Whoever has the fastest aim...

:twisted:

Petty much, being that this situation is likely road "hunting". So what glory is there to be gained? Shoot it. Share it. If you can't handle that with out some pre-arranged legal agreement, your out with the wrong people or better of alone.

BCHunterFSJ
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=BiG Boar;1311725]I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

An old hunting partner (now passed away) lived by the maxim "Shoot fast or shoot last". I eventually stopped hunting with him and others who also were believers.

Today, I believe in the "right of refusal" theory. Well stated Big Boar!

04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I never have liked the "whoever spots it shoots it" way of deciding who the shooter is. My partners and I always alternate who's day it is to shoot. We flip a coin for the first day. That way instead of competing with one another, we work as a team. Also, whoever has taken a particular species last, gets moved to the back of the que, so that the next guy is supported until he is successful. Of course this only applies when we are hunting together, if we split up, which we most often do, then it's naturally every man for himself.

BiG Boar
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I never have liked the "whoever spots it shoots it" way of deciding who the shooter is. My partners and I always alternate who's day it is to shoot. We flip a coin for the first day. That way instead of competing with one another, we work as a team. Also, whoever has taken a particular species last, gets moved to the back of the que, so that the next guy is supported until he is successful. Of course this only applies when we are hunting together, if we split up, which we most often do, then it's naturally every man for himself.

If you're hunting with family or a kid, I would definitely agree with you. It should be as you state. In fact I am sure this would never even need to be discussed. However, when you're hunting with a new partner, this will be a major conflict of issue for most hunters if someone points out an animal, and the other guy whips out his gun and starts shooting.

Hunting is finding game. There are many lazy hunters out there that just don't really like to glass, or just find it boring, or hike looking at their feet. When I take off time from my work, and spend my money, I hope to come home with something, therefore I hunt hard, I glass hard. If buddy is busy resting his eyes (snoozing) or on his devices, or anything else that he can do to distract himself, then I don't feel he deserves 1 out of my 2 days to be his day.

That being said, if I have taken a better head, or plan to, I will generally pass the animal onto the other guy.

sarg
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
The other guy. If I take the shot that means I've filled a tag. If he takes the shot I get to keep hunting. I get a huge rush outta helping friends fill tags and I get to keep hunting.
That's the way I think, I enjoy watching my buddy taking the shot just has much as me taking the shot. We split every thing 50/50 so I doent matter who shots as long as there meat hitting the ground :) and if it not my tag it just means more time for me to hunt :)

Darksith
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
whomever hasn't shot one before

elitehuntergreg
04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
For my family its always been the new hunter or young lad that gets first opportunity. That being said usually the bow hunter gets first try after the new guy. then it comes down to who ever is confident in the shot or wants the animal and who is up to field dressing. generally who ever shoots it does the dirty work.

04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
If you're hunting with family or a kid, I would definitely agree with you. It should be as you state. In fact I am sure this would never even need to be discussed. However, when you're hunting with a new partner, this will be a major conflict of issue for most hunters if someone points out an animal, and the other guy whips out his gun and starts shooting.

Hunting is finding game. There are many lazy hunters out there that just don't really like to glass, or just find it boring, or hike looking at their feet. When I take off time from my work, and spend my money, I hope to come home with something, therefore I hunt hard, I glass hard. If buddy is busy resting his eyes (snoozing) or on his devices, or anything else that he can do to distract himself, then I don't feel he deserves 1 out of my 2 days to be his day.

That being said, if I have taken a better head, or plan to, I will generally pass the animal onto the other guy.

Who shoots is already decided before the day begins, so if it's my partners turn to shoot, and I spot something, then I excpect him to shoot, and vice versa.

As for new hunting partners, again, all needs to be discussed before-hand. The surest way to destroy hunting partner relationships is to be a selfish hunter.

Of course one needs to choose their hunting partners wisely.

RiverOtter
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Some of my best hunts have been ones where I didn't touch a trigger.....

Got no use for game hogs, heros or anyone else with a "Me First" mentality. I'll gladly eat tag soup, before I'll ever dump a critter that isn't 100% mine to shoot.

I've seen me do it..........

redthorn
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Make it all as fair as possible, then nobody has a bad time of it. We subscribe to "The first to see it and verbalize the sighting, gets to take it if he wants it. If he doesn't want it, then the next guy can take it."

BUT Both guys get ready for the shot. I know where my weapon is hitting, but have no idea how everyone else's gear is. f one guy shoots and doesn't drop the the beast, then the other guy is free to try to stop it if given the go ahead. Only once in a case of a possible bad retrieval did I ever need to shoot as a second, and it prevented an animal from going downhill too far. My brother also once stopped a deer for a brand new hunter with a bad case of buck fever and a poor shot before the deer hit the river.

Or mostly hunt by yourself and then you have no need to

HarryToolips
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Whoever spots it first gets the shot! Ups the competition a bit, keeps your wits about ya..

Sofa King
04-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Spotter is the shooter unless other agreements have been made. I don't like eating bears so I'd let my buddy shoot it so he can deal with that Nasty meat. I usually don't hunt right beside my partners so its never really an issue we always split up it has proven to be more effective an there's no arguing about this kind of stuff

this.
why would anyone want to hunt with their partner on their lap?
i can undeerstand if it's road-hunting i guess.
in that case, i'd go spotter shoots.

Gun Dog
04-04-2013, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=BiG Boar;1311725]I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out. A friend (and hunting partner) went hunting with a coworker who had to shoot first. Didn't matter if people were in front. Turned out, it didn't matter if it was in season either. There was only one hunting trip.

GoatGuy
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
The new hunter or whoever wants to the most.

The challenge of the hunt is with Mother Nature, not a competition with our hunting buddy's.

J_T
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Depends who I'm out with. My kids/nephews/youth always shoot first. And my Dad get's first option on deer.

If I'm out with a buddy, sometimes (bears) there is a little too much grace, "you take it" "no you, I insist" "no, you spotted it" "yeah, but we'll find another one, you take this one".

Neither of us really wants to get an arrow dirty.

sawmill
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=BCHunterFSJ;1311803]A friend (and hunting partner) went hunting with a coworker who had to shoot first. Didn't matter if people were in front. Turned out, it didn't matter if it was in season either. There was only one hunting trip.

Must have been my ex bro in law.We hunted together once,him driving.We spotted a nice buck and he grabbed his rifle and bailed out with the truck in gear and rolling.I had to grab the wheel,scramble across and jump on the brakes.Worst part is,he got the buck and after helping him gut,load,hang and skin and cut and wrap I got one pack of steaks.He was off the list too.

04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Everyone start firing, ....... screaming " KracKatowa " Between shots till said critter falls .........sheesh have a plan in advance.

CT

Buckmeister
04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't know if this has been said yet, but "paper rock scissors" works. Check to see if it's someones B-day or aniversary or something.