PDA

View Full Version : Requesting some info on PAL

biggyun68
04-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Folks:
My neighbour came over the other night asking for some advice on getting his PAL.
He did his courses and wrote his tests successfully in the early 1990's and had his FAC for a spell. Like a lot of Gen-Xer's he went travelling for a couple years, went back to school out of province, fell in love etc... and almost 20 years have gone by...
He wants to renew and asked is as simple as showing his old official test score results ect. to get is PAL or does he have to to the whole course and testing over again?
Thanks
BY68

Jagermeister
04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
IMO, I think he will have to retest as the time line is too long. I can't see them grandfathering him. If he had applied for a PAL around the time his FAC expired or was about to expire, they probably would have accepted his results from his FAC tests.

Everett
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Buddy of mine recently used his Quebec hunting course from 20+ years ago to get his PAL so anything is possible.

adriaticum
04-02-2013, 10:45 PM
If he knows how to handle rifles just challenge the exam

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Even if you let your PAL expire for a month or two, they make you re-take the PAL test and re-apply. If he had a BC hunter's # at one time then he should be okay to get a replacement hunter # card issued.

SSS

Fella
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
When I took my PAL course there was a guy who'd had his FAC since the 80's and was told he needed to do the test and get his PAL.

elitehuntergreg
04-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I challenged my PAL. Was 25 bucks and super easy test if you hunt and or know your way around proper handling and safety. It is a good review, wouldnt be a bad idea to just challenge the test.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Get him to grab a book and watch all 6 parts of these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnKDEqsRHA&list=UUQllE4XKbkHuSMSLj1hNMKQ

J_T
04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
My PAL expired last year and when I reapplied they indicated I had to take the course again. I'm always concerned with people who challenge a course exam. Take the course, it isn't a lot of time out of your life and you listen to the stories of others and learn more. You will handle weapons you might not have a chance to. And you might meet like minded people and the start of a new friendship.

Gateholio
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
He should just challenge the test. Firearm safety is ridiculously easy. A quick review and he should have no problems.