PDA

View Full Version : M.u 7-28

Jason Melo
04-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Hey guys just looking for some opinions. The group of guys I hunt with want to try a new area for moose this year as our old area 5-2B seems to not be producing in the last couple years, and definatley not because we werent trying..

So over the easter long weekend we had a disscusion with the whole group and a couple guys said we should try 7-28. The thing is none of us have been in that area before, the only reason they want to try it is because of the high number of draws given out for the area.. the draw they are wanting to apply for runs from sep 10-Nov 5..... and the only time we can go is either the first week of october or the third week of october.. hopefully someone on here can give some pointers about the area..

Jason

dellis
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I know that area pretty well. There are moose there, but they are localized in pockets as it is a deep snow belt. Lots of mine traffic on the main north road these days.........but lots of side roads to check out.
Darcy

Jason Melo
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Do you think the third week of october there would be snow? If so i guess it would be better to go the first week of october.

Striksfromabove
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
The areas been hit hard the past few years with harsh winter's, ticks and wolves. I agree the area contains isolated pockets of moose but the main reason there are so many draws is the size of the MU, compared to others it's quite large. Keep in mind it turns into a gong show around Oct. 10th when the cow LEH season opens.

Jason Melo
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
thanks for the input guys! I'll have to talk to my group of guys and come up with a decision....

anymore info would be greatley appreciated lol

1980skywalker
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
I have hunted there the past 3 seasons, a trapper friend of my familys has cabins up there where we stayed. Lots of draws like others have said doesn't neccesarily mean lots of moose as it is a huge area. Last year we didn't even see one and there was wolf sign everywhere, it was also very warm. I would suggest going in the first week of October as the rut really gets going.

Sitkaspruce
04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Some good moose if you know where to look for them. The thing I like is that the area does not get a ton of pressure as most hunt the same places.

PM me if you would like some more info.

Cheers

SS

Gr8 white hunter
04-03-2013, 06:10 AM
We were up there last year first time,and got two moose,we were up there for a cow calf draw we got a immature bull and a calf.

Jason Melo
04-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Looks like Im getting some good info about the area! Hopefully one of us is lucky enough to get the daw!

moosinaround
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I would think you would find a couple bulls up there in the rut!!! It is prime moose habitat, just get out and look around the cutblock edges and swamps. Lots of moose up there when I was doing silviculture surveys!! Moosin

04-03-2013, 08:42 PM
The areas been hit hard the past few years with harsh winter's, ticks and wolves. I agree the area contains isolated pockets of moose but the main reason there are so many draws is the size of the MU, compared to others it's quite large. Keep in mind it turns into a gong show around Oct. 10th when the cow LEH season opens.

Except that the number of cow/calf tags has been dropped from 50 to only 5.

.330 Dakota
04-03-2013, 08:48 PM
I hunted there a few years ago for spring grizzly,,didnt see any grizzly, but saw many a moose,,Tchentlo Lake area

dellis
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Except that the number of cow/calf tags has been dropped from 50 to only 5.
Still a GOS season for calves and yes, the whole area gets pounded by calf hunters after the 10th. I wish they'd axe the calf season.......or have it limited to hunters under 18 or over 65........but I digress:-?
Darcy

Jason Melo
04-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Is there room for trucks and campers at Tchentlo lake?

slyfox
04-06-2013, 09:28 PM
728 has some real good moose hunting Jason I have hunted the area a couple times I'd go the first week of oct there is lots of area to camp in the area lots of bears to.

ThinAir
04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
I'd go first week of Oct. More likely to find a bull looking for love

Jason Melo
04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks Slyfox I guess I should take a bear tag also then if I get the draw.

Hows the deer population up there.. or is it mainly just moose country?

1980skywalker
04-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Definitely take a bear tag, lots in the area, won't find any deer in the area pretty much moose country.

ratherbefishin
07-13-2014, 06:51 AM
We have an 'any bull' draw and hope to be there in the first week of October and try some calling.We had put in for 7-38 ,hoping for a float trip but my boys drew 7-28 ,not sure what opportunities there are for floating a river there.We have never been in the area before,we generally hunt 7-7 east of PG.

.330 Dakota
07-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Is there room for trucks and campers at Tchentlo lake?

Yup sure is, and its a nice rec site. I had a buddies travel trailer in there (26 ft) with my Dodge quad cab, and no issues at all. Take a couple of spare tires though as we did have a flat and the guys camped next to us had 3 flats....sharp rocks on the road will penetrate right through load range "E" tires at times. We threw on the spare and ran into Fort St James to Kal Tire and got ours fixed for FFFRRREEEEE,,anyways great rec site and good moosin area. When you go in to the rec site, if you keep going to Rottacker Rd,(its on your left going in, after the bridge) you can go up it several clicks, and on your left agin you will see little lakes, low meadows etc, and moose, and a big cutblock at the end.