PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Blind info

Sitkaspruce
04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Looking at trying a new way of hunting, sitting and waiting for a deer. Been a still hunter most of my life, but up here, it has been recommended that sitting will produce more.......

I have been looking at a few different blinds and want to keep my purchase in Canada.

I have found an Ameristep Doghouse for $75, an Ameristep Backstrap for $103and this new one, an ALTAN Safe Outdoors "The Den" for $135. The Altan is a Canadian Company

http://www.altansafeoutdoors.com/index.php (http://www.altansafeoutdoors.com/index.php)

If there is any other blinds that are recommended to a max of $150, let me know. Any that you would NOT recommend and why.

Also, since I cannot look at any of them, is there a difference between a gun and archery blind??

This will strickly be a gun hunt blind, in Oct/Nov in the BC NE.

Cheers

SS

HD95
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
SS, Try Costco.ca, under the hunting heading....under $150 delivered to your door

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2013, 08:03 PM
You need more room for archery than strictly gun hunting.
I've got a Doghouse blind. Fine for rifle or x-bow but a little too squishy for drawing a bow.

SSS

KB90
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
I have both the doghouse and this one (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/1/Hunting/StandsBlinds/PRDOVR~0751474P/Grounder+250+Blind.jsp?locale=en

I was able to get it on sale for 119 at CT. I find it to be a lot nicer. It is of the new icefishing hut design with the push/pop joints, easy set up and take down. Lots more room than the doghouse, can fit two people comfortably and more than enough room to draw a bow.

That stupid ameristep is one the is of hoop design and you have to bend it in 3 fancy steps to make a circle then stuff it in the bag without it blowing back up in your face. I had a few nights where I was tempted to toss it in the trash, nothing worse than -20 peace country wind and trying to get it back in the bag in the dark. It is also quite small, to stand up and stretch adjust yourself, you will make noise as you brush up against it, there is very little head room while sitting so you can imagine trying to move around in it.

KB90
04-01-2013, 08:19 PM
edit: looking at "the den" it is very similar to the CT one I posted, and "the hideout" is the doghouse deisgn.

I would opt for "the den" design.

just hunt
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
tell me were ya plan on putting it then i can tell ya which one is best suited for you ;-)

bridger
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
google lucky blinds.

proguide66
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Hunting black tails with blinds is cheating !! Your supposed to get soaked like the rest of us !

Sitkaspruce
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Hunting black tails with blinds is cheating !! Your supposed to get soaked like the rest of us !

I lowered myself down and are now chasing WT's:tongue::wink:

The blind is for when I sit on my a$$ and what for one of those supposed "Willey" WT's are to come within range....no more spot and stalk or still hunting the BT's for me:cry:

Cheers

SS