PDA

View Full Version : Lecture on stopping Griz hunting

andrewscag
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Here you go boys. Looks like this one is Apr 23rd in Vancouver

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/panther-lounge/2013/04/living-with-bears-tour-comes-to-bc/

Agent Orange
04-01-2013, 05:10 PM
That David Suzuki really grinds my gears...

300winmaster
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds like another Timothy Treadwell

Gunner
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Once the NDP gets in ,he'll get his way.Gunner

604redneck
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Ya i definitely dislike this guys one sided views on stuff!

Ry151
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
If your in the area i would definitely go listen to Charlie Russell. He knows alot about bears!! He was a guess speaker about 5 years ago in Nimpo Lake for the BC floatplane Assc annual meeting. I really enjoyed his presentaion and and at that time he wasnt anti hunting at all (didnt come off that way to me). He had a movie that was pretty cool. "Edge of eden: living with the grizzlies."

fowl language
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
if you go back awhile you will find out his daddy was a guide in the alberta foot hills. i don,t think he is anti hunting unless he has changed in the last few years....

andrewscag
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
He sounds pretty anti bear hunting now unless he's been misquoted. Still sounds like it could be an interesting lecture. He's definitely spent more time with bears than I have. Don't much like that the opening of bear season is called the opening of the trophy season. Intentionally phrasing it that way to push an agenda is my guess

Surrey Boy
04-01-2013, 08:11 PM

Reminds me of Sweeny Todd.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Russell has gone to the other side over the last decade or so.
Teaming up with Bateman, eh? Bring your Bateman paintings for a bonfire in the parking lot........:-D

SSS

adriaticum
04-01-2013, 11:12 PM

I think you are just jealous of his "female bodyguards"

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/01/20130129-083258.html

Tuffcity
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
What strikes me as hypocritical (ok, there is a lot of hypocracy in that org) is that the report they hot link to doesn't mention hunting as a reason for population decline, and focuses mainly on issues within southern BC and western Alberta. It even says that northern populations (in BC) are doing well. It also relies on 11 year old (2002 COSEWIC) data on grizzly population densities.

It does list "commercial tourism" (commercial bear watching any one?) as a potential cause for decline.

RC

riflebuilder
04-02-2013, 02:07 PM
They say there are no Grizzly Bears where I live yet last Fall we counted 21 in one day on a small range of hills. There is no season in 4-22

Rocky7
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Russell has gone to the other side over the last decade or so.
Teaming up with Bateman, eh? Bring your Bateman paintings for a bonfire in the parking lot........:-D

SSS

Russell was never on "our side", IMO. Here's a funny Russell story:

Many years ago he came to a school where I worked to enlighten one and all with his stories. Sounded good, he was famous and many attended. Part of his schtick was a "How to avoid bear attacks" lecture with the usual stuff. At the time, I was part of an outdoor education program and took kids into the mountains for a week+ at a time. We had a trip planned for not long after the Russell lecture. The kids (teenagers) asked me why I was talking a rifle and a shotgun, given Russell's expert advice on how we didn't need to worry about bears as long as we did x, y and z.

Now, I'm not a writer but I grew up in the bush. I know that some bears are just plain ornery and all of them can be unpredictable. I mostly go armed and that's that, always when I am responsible for the safety of others, like a dozen or more teenagers in tents.

Here's the funny part......

About, oh, 4-5 months after that lecture from Russell he and his son were out hiking. Russell was mauled by a black bear sow. I guess he and his son had stopped to watch it from 300 yds. away when it saw him/them and came on the run. His son beat it off with an elk antler he had happened to pick up but Russell had his arse chewed before the son was able to beat it off his dad with the antler. I didn't see that happen, but heard it from more than one source and believe it to be true. Anyway, the next time we went out on a trip, I didn't hear any questions about me taking firearms. :)

olympia
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Russell was never on "our side", IMO. Here's a funny Russell story:

Many years ago he came to a school where I worked to enlighten one and all with his stories. Sounded good, he was famous and many attended. Part of his schtick was a "How to avoid bear attacks" lecture with the usual stuff. At the time, I was part of an outdoor education program and took kids into the mountains for a week+ at a time. We had a trip planned for not long after the Russell lecture. The kids (teenagers) asked me why I was talking a rifle and a shotgun, given Russell's expert advice on how we didn't need to worry about bears as long as we did x, y and z.

Now, I'm not a writer but I grew up in the bush. I know that some bears are just plain ornery and all of them can be unpredictable. I mostly go armed and that's that, always when I am responsible for the safety of others, like a dozen or more teenagers in tents.

Here's the funny part......

About, oh, 4-5 months after that lecture from Russell he and his son were out hiking. Russell was mauled by a black bear sow. I guess he and his son had stopped to watch it from 300 yds. away when it saw him/them and came on the run. His son beat it off with an elk antler he had happened to pick up but Russell had his arse chewed before the son was able to beat it off his dad with the antler. I didn't see that happen, but heard it from more than one source and believe it to be true. Anyway, the next time we went out on a trip, I didn't hear any questions about me taking firearms. :)

ewww gross his son beats off black bears...thats so nasty

Colinofthewoods
04-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I want to hear Jelvis rap battle Mr.suzuki on the topic of hunting the grizz.

pmj
04-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Hmmmm.. timed to be at the same time as the BCWF Convention to avoid any alternate view points:roll:.

moosinaround
04-03-2013, 03:31 AM
They say there are no Grizzly Bears where I live yet last Fall we counted 21 in one day on a small range of hills. There is no season in 4-22
21 in one day, is that the pre bullshitfactor applied, or does 10-15% BS factor need to applied?;) moosin

redneckjoe
04-03-2013, 05:01 AM
focuses mainly on issues within southern BC and western Alberta

That's all Suzuki does: focuses on the Grizzly Bear population in southern B.C. or western Alberta. Never seems him touch the subject on the populations up north and beyond. Maybe he just assumes all hunters live in the Lower Mainland or something. I have no idea.

Whatever the case, it is intellectual dishonesty to say Grizzly Bears in undeveloped areas up north are in a population decline.

mr7mm
04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Just wait till he gets out there to hug a tree or what ever he does and encounters a grizzly or a orinary black bear enough about him just let him have his carrot steaks and grass juice idiot just my opinion

redneckjoe
04-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Just wait till he gets out there to hug a tree or what ever he does and encounters a grizzly or a orinary black bear enough about him just let him have his carrot steaks and grass juice idiot just my opinion

David Suzuki is not a vegan nor is he a vegetarian. He eats farmed meat like the rest of us. He advocates for sustainable fishing and sustainable agriculture. He has even criticized the monoculture necessary to sustain veganism. He is also an avid fisherman too.

Lindsay Coulter, Queen of Green, of the David Suzuki Foundation however is a vegetarian and pushes the agenda. She is anti-hunting, anti-hunter and anti-fishing.

What I don't understand is Suzuki says he supports sustainable hunts and traps for both private consumption and commercial ventures. Yet he is ready to ban hunting of grizzlies provincially rather than pushing moratorium regionally in southwestern British Columbia. It seems contradictory to say one is in favour of subsistence and commercial hunts, but to be against harvesting grizzlies in a sustainable area like northern British Columbia, Yukon or Alaska. Especially when one considers market-hunting is banned across North America and the only commercial outlet for hunting is trophy.

mr7mm
04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
reckneck joe i missed the mark on that one thanks for the correction . i guess in short words he frustrates me all i want to do is fill my freezer and eat healthy meat and carry on