PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder

anglo-saxon
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Quite the diff in price. I can't believe there's over $150 between these two stores on this item!

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/monoculars-rangefinders/rangefinders/rx-1000itbr-w-dna/prod297403.html

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Leupold-RX-1000i-Compact-WDNA-Rangefinder/1161070.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3FN%3D0%26fsch% 3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dleupold%2Brange finder%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3D google%7Copt_Rangefinders_Leupold%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_ id1%3DsVVPNCCT3%26rid%3D20%26pcrid%3D8194914897%26 gclid%3DCMi1upWQprYCFeN_Qgod4S8AJA&Ntt=leupold+rangefinder&WTz_l=PPC

Anyone have any experience with this rangefinder who would care to comment?

The Hermit
03-30-2013, 10:33 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/assets/images/catalog/brandlogo/leupold_125x26.gifLeupoldŽ RX-1000i Compact W/DNA Rangefinder
RX-1000ITBR W-DNA
Leupold
Are they the same units?

Ry151
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
No, the one doesn't have the tbr. But the same units on cabelas.com and cabelas.ca are $100 more

mikeboehm
03-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Ur compairing usa prices to canadian prices

mikeboehm
03-30-2013, 10:51 PM
And ur comparing 2 different rangefinders

ianwuzhere
03-30-2013, 11:06 PM
i love usa pricing on stuff too.

anglo-saxon
03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Just realized the USA pricing. I hate it when I try t filter by Canadian sites only and it doesn't! Oh, well.

In any case, does anyone have any opinions on this rangefinder (the one at Cabela's)?

604redneck
03-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Ya go buy the vortex ranger 1000

wlbc
03-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Just realized the USA pricing. I hate it when I try t filter by Canadian sites only and it doesn't! Oh, well.

In any case, does anyone have any opinions on this rangefinder (the one at Cabela's)?

Yes, buy a Leica, Zeiss or Swaro.

03-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Go for them! While dollars spent usually equate to better, l haven't found there to be huge differences in the very top end names and the not so expensive units. l once compared my first generation Bushnell's with a partners Leica's......while his unit was more compact, my RF didn't give up anything in the ranging dept. compared to the more expensive set. In fact my old set was made for 800 yards and l could often range over that distance. Have since picked up more a more compact unit, but find its more fussy about how it ranges. Another thing to consider is that while is nice to range objects half a mile away, how many people are of caliber to make shots at that distance? If you were hunting and shooting out towards the 1000 yard mark, then for sure the range finder would be an important piece of equipment, if not, its hard to justify the cost and how much it equates to better ranging abilities. End of the day, they all do the same and unless a persons needs warrant the extra expense, l can't justify the extra cost......better to put the money into better quality bino's then a top of the line range finder that is used a lot less then other gear imo.

Chopper333
03-31-2013, 08:54 AM
I own the Leupold 1000 without TBA. Works well, but I would buy a Lieca, Zeiss or Swaro if I was going to buy a new one. Try the demo sale at:

http://www.cameralandny.com/

I have had a few buddies buy from here with excellent results. Well worth a look.

anglo-saxon
03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Go for them! While dollars spent usually equate to better, l haven't found there to be huge differences in the very top end names and the not so expensive units. l once compared my first generation Bushnell's with a partners Leica's......while his unit was more compact, my RF didn't give up anything in the ranging dept. compared to the more expensive set. In fact my old set was made for 800 yards and l could often range over that distance. Have since picked up more a more compact unit, but find its more fussy about how it ranges. Another thing to consider is that while is nice to range objects half a mile away, how many people are of caliber to make shots at that distance? If you were hunting and shooting out towards the 1000 yard mark, then for sure the range finder would be an important piece of equipment, if not, its hard to justify the cost and how much it equates to better ranging abilities. End of the day, they all do the same and unless a persons needs warrant the extra expense, l can't justify the extra cost......better to put the money into better quality bino's then a top of the line range finder that is used a lot less then other gear imo.

I totally agree. I'm unlikely to take a shot at further than around 400m, just based on the terrain alone. So how far do I really need to rangefind? It feels like at some point we're paying for the name rather than the product.

anglo-saxon
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I own the Leupold 1000 without TBA. Works well, but I would buy a Lieca, Zeiss or Swaro if I was going to buy a new one. Try the demo sale at:

http://www.cameralandny.com/

I have had a few buddies buy from here with excellent results. Well worth a look.

In the past, I have asked US optics vendors if they ship to Canadian addresses and the answer has always been, "No". That was for scopes, though. Is it not the same rule for rangefinders?

Awesome site, by the way. Thanks!

Singleshotneeded
03-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC, all you need, $265 on Amazon.com...Happy Easter!
Scopes are attached to a gun, rangefinders aren't...no issues, no paperwork.

adriaticum
03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Definitely worth waiting to go to the US to pick one up.

anglo-saxon
03-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Scopes are attached to a gun, rangefinders aren't...no issues, no paperwork.

Aaah! Gotcha! Thanks!!

.330 Dakota
03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a Leica, and will own nothing but.....

yukon john
03-31-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a Leica, and will own nothing but.....

I have a bag full of leica stuff but after one deal with their warranty department I would never buy another one

goatdancer
03-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Leica CRF1600. $749 at Robinsons Camera in Calgary.

boxhitch
04-01-2013, 06:06 AM
Ya go buy the vortex ranger 1000x2
slightly different display , but easy to use

BiG Boar
04-01-2013, 06:59 AM
I have that leupold range finder. I love mine. Has ranged 900 yards plus yards many times. I wouldn't question buying it again. It may not be "as" good per say as Leica, however its not noticeable to the average user, I have used both. For half the price, and a better warranty, I would go with the Leupold again if I lost mine in the woods. Its never let me down, and its easy to use. Definitely better and more reliable than my old bushnell, but a tad more pricey too.

To the guys question on not needing one that goes to 1000, and why not just get the 600 model (because thats all I would ever shoot), keep in mind that they often don't make it to some of these advertised distances, fog, rain, non reflective surfaces, all affect performance.

I was once on a ridge, ranging what I estimated to be a moose on the next ridge over at roughly 300 yards. When I ranged it, I found my rangefinder to not be reading it. I waited for my buddy to show up, only to range it with his 1000 model and find out it was actually 600 yards away! I would get the 1000 model for this reason alone. Knowing I was now 600 away, rather than assuming I was out of batteries (or malfunctioning), on what I thought was for sure 300 yards, I closed the distance to less than 100 yards and took down the bull. Reason enough for me to buy the 1000 again.

In a rangefinder now a days, I expect it to have an angle bullet drop compensator built in. That is a huge advantage to have, and reason alone to buy a range finder.

Keep in mind if you buy the Leupold from the US, you will not be covered by Canadian Leupold for warranty. I am not sure if you can send it to the US warranty service, but it may be possible.

Marlin375
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
To the guys question on not needing one that goes to 1000, and why not just get the 600 model (because thats all I would ever shoot), keep in mind that they often don't make it to some of these advertised distances, fog, rain, non reflective surfaces, all affect performance.

I was once on a ridge, ranging what I estimated to be a moose on the next ridge over at roughly 300 yards. When I ranged it, I found my rangefinder to not be reading it. I waited for my buddy to show up, only to range it with his 1000 model and find out it was actually 600 yards away! I would get the 1000 model for this reason alone. Knowing I was now 600 away, rather than assuming I was out of batteries (or malfunctioning), on what I thought was for sure 300 yards, I closed the distance to less than 100 yards and took down the bull. Reason enough for me to buy the 1000 again.

That is the difference right there. Advertised distances will leave you sitting on a ridge with a $250 monocular.
When you push the button on your range finder you want an answer...period. It is not always about how far you think you might need to shoot. It is about knowing it is too far to shoot....for that you still need an answer.