PDA

View Full Version : Custom? Beginner bows..

NitwiT
03-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey all,

first time looking into a bow, compound to be sure, I've done some research. Basically, I'm screwed if I wanna get into this sport "cheap" (quotes, as nothing seems cheap in archery).

Here's my dilemma, I stand 6'7" from the ground, and have a finger tip to finger tip wingspan of 84". Take that number, subtract 15, divide by 2, and you get "we don't make bows with that draw length".

Need some tips, tricks, and/or advice from the pros, on how I should properly get started down this new obsession.

Mark

BiG Boar
03-30-2013, 10:04 PM
What about trying a recurve?

.330 Dakota
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Are you sure about the draw length thing? I used to know a couple of guys your size that are shooting bows with 32 to 34 inch draw lengths. Hoyts I believe,,

.330 Dakota
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Just checked the Hoyt site, the Tribute comes in a 34" draw length

NitwiT
03-31-2013, 05:55 AM
my initial research said that I needed a draw length of 34.5", and to round this up to 35", to learn to shoot properly. Is this incorrect? Will a 34" be sufficient?

I haven't considered a recurve, mind explaining the pros/cons of recurve/compound?

Mark

Jonas111
03-31-2013, 06:26 AM
Shorter is always better. If your DL is too long it will cause more problems then if its too short. There are so many people shooting bows with DL that are too long for them.

You should really go to a shop that can let you test it out. Reason I say that is my brother is 6'0" tall and his wingspan is huge. Using the method you just tried we measured him and it said 30.5" DL. When he started shooting he was hitting the string off his arm and it was clearly way too long for him. We went down to a 28.5" and seems to be good of him now.

There are other ways to figure out your DL but the best way is to go somewhere or get someone who really knows what they are doing to give you a hand. The last thing you want to do with your first bow is get it set up wrong and you will end up hating the sport of archery.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

allan
03-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Well you arms are not that long.... I'm 6'5" and my wingspan is 85"!
I switched to a Pse vendetta xl and love it. D loop length as well as the type of release you have all play a factor in what you will be comfortable to shoot. One thing that you have not considered is the fact that if you go over 32" draw your going to have problems shooting carbon arrows since I'm shooting mine all full length already.
Shoot as many long draw bows you can before buying, which will be hard to do because not that many shops carry long draws for the tall guy.
One of the advantages the long draw guys have is the arrows will have more ke. As your power stroke will be longer then the shorty who is only 27" draw.
I shoot at 32" draw 70lbs. If you know you can pull that much and don't mind the drive your more than welcome to drive out to Chilliwack to try mine. I have a 45 yard indoor range at home. So time and weather don't really matter to me.
( the worst part of being tall is trying to shoot out of a ground blind or trying to find good quality hunting gear that fits )

Jonas111
03-31-2013, 08:03 AM
What are you guys eating down there? One guy 6'7" and another 6'5"? Holy monsters. I would hate to run into you two in a dark alley.

A 45 yard indoor range is awesome.

Ddog
03-31-2013, 08:15 AM
i come up with a draw length for you at 33.6...fingertip to fingertip 84/ 2.5 = 33.6" draw length

.330 Dakota
03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
What are you guys eating down there? One guy 6'7" and another 6'5"? Holy monsters. I would hate to run into you two in a dark alley.

A 45 yard indoor range is awesome.

Hey whats with the "dark alley" comment, Id be willing to bet theyre both straight...lol

Bigbear
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM
I know of a fella In Williams Lake who is selling an older Hoyt bow . Every thing Including Arrows Release quiver and I beleive a case.It is set up for 33in Dr length. Your draw length is 33.5 The equation is Wing span divided by 2.5 so if your wing span is 84 in divide by 2.5 PM Me if you want a Phone #

Blk Arrow
04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
An old 2006 Hoyt catalog shows a couple of models that go to 34.5 inches. These are long axle to axle bows, ranging from 40 to 46 inches. My protec with cam 1/2s and xt 3000 limbs will go to 33 inch draw. I guess the shorting of bows to gain speed is making it hard on the taller guys to find equipment.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2013, 08:16 AM
funny ... my way of estimating draw lenth is wing span divided by 2.5 ... 84/2.5 = 33.6 call it 34 ... there are a few bow manufacturers that make gorilla sized draws ... ;) APA ... Hoyt ... I think Mathews, PSE, we had a thread not so long ago about this very subject. ... there are limited numbers you are right about that. I would find a 33" draw and go from there. like people have said, its easier to work with a slightly short bow than it is with a slightly longer one ..33 draw .. 1/2" loop ... would be about perfect ;)

that all said tho .. get yer arse to a shop and get fitted properly .. then you can start checking the AT classifieds for a big bow.

NitwiT
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, ill be checking out an archery shop soon, hopefully this block off

TheProvider
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
There are bows out there for you. Definately check out AT classifieds. Great prices plus bows with a long draw length tend to go for a little cheaper used as there isn't as big of market for them. Archery may seem expensive to get into but you can get into it for a decent price. Plus think you save money practicing with resusing arrows ;) Specially if you only shoot single arrows at close range. Robin hoods can get expensive

jw10112
04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I am 6'6 and initally had this problem. I currently shoot a bowtech extreme VFT. Now... if you look up the gernal specs its rated at 25/26 inches up to 30 inches. (This is without a D-loop which adds an extra half in or more depending on the size, and ive seen some long @$$ D-loops) Take your bow to wayne in abbotsford at Big Game Archery. I previously was able to shoot this bow at 28.5" (it wasnt super comfortable, but it was working) my real draw length is 31". So if he is able to extend my draw length by that and go over the actual rated specs of the bow...., he SHOULD be able to give you an idea of some type or manufacture of bow that will work, or tricks to get a draw length of 33. and a general rule is your arm span divided by 2.5. so yours would be 33.6" or 33 1/2 inches. If any one can point you in the right direction it'll be him.

All the best!