PDA

View Full Version : Gps Recommendations

Blktail
12-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I need your help deciding on a handheld GPS for hunting and fishing. I know I want a colour display and it must be able to handle uploading maps and (if possible) charts. TOPO's and charts must be available.
My wife got me a Lowrance for X-mas. You can't wire it to a computer, but maps and chips are available. However, the waterproof seals tend to pop open if you brush them with your finger or pocket. It is also very slow to aquire a lock position.
What are your preferences and why.

BlacktailStalker
12-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Garmin 60Cx.

tyeesalmon
12-26-2006, 08:41 PM
hey - just recieved the magellan 500 for Christmas - Canadian tire had them for $199 - One of the better ones I've seen so far.

Rock Doctor
12-26-2006, 10:55 PM
My two bits,
Garmin 76CS or whatever the new version is.
Nice color display
tons of memory
Mine has taken more than it's fair share of drops and dunkings

It is bigger and a little heavier than others, but it has worked well for me.
Also, have several friends with compatible models (older/newer) we can share waypoints/routes/trackes/maps/ect, pretty easily.

Gun Dog
12-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Garmin 60Cx has the latest and greatest SiRF III chipset -- it's the most sensitive GPS chipset these days. The x means it takes microSD cards so you can load up with a lot of maps.

Steeleco
12-27-2006, 02:06 AM
If I was in the need of a new one these days this would be the one.
http://gpsinformation.org/penrod/g60csx/60csx.html

tufferthandug
12-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Buy this one and you won't be sorry. I'm extremely happy with the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx GPS Receiver with Micro SD Memory. The lighted colour screen is awsome for looking at in the dark, and batteries seem to last a long time.

Here's a shortcut to the cheapest place I could find when I ordered mine last August. I took it every where this fall and have a ton of places mapped out with the software provided. It even lets you view your tracks on Google Earth-

http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-etrex-legend-cx-gps/etrexlegendcx.htm

tuchodi
12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I would recommend either the Garmin 60 or 76 series with color screen. The Legend cx is OK but either of the 2 I mentioned have the electronic cumpass and has a bit better antena for recieving in thicker bush conditions. The newer 60 or 76 are available with removable SD Microchips which is nice but not really necessary, depends on your requirements. You may be able to find one of the older ones on sale at a good price. Best of luck.

Gun Dog
12-27-2006, 09:39 AM
www.gpscentral.ca is a good place to buy GPS stuff. You'll need (want) TopoCanada (the maps) too if you're buying Garmin.

Phil
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I have a Garmin 76cs, it has all the bells and whistles. It works great in all conditions, plus it is waterproof and floats.

Frango
12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
What ever you get make sure it has WAAS.

steel_ram
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
"Quad helix" antenna seems to work better than the "Patch"

Ilikebigbucks&Icannotlie
12-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Garmin Legend C. Love it. Can't say much more. WAAS enabled, colour screen, can upload digital maps. It does everything. Cost around $340.

hunter1947
12-29-2006, 05:37 AM
I have an older garmin gps and it works fine for me. hunter1947.

The 'Hummer'
12-29-2006, 11:14 AM
My 'Christmas' present was a Lowrance iFinder Expedition c with a MapCreate 6 GPS Mapping (Canada - topo) Accessories Pack. Now to start trying it out and learning how to use it.

steel_ram
12-29-2006, 11:28 AM
As much as I was a Magellan fan, now I'd stick to Garmin. They've done a better job on staying on top of the game. Especially that now some Garmin models have the Quad Helix antenna which works better under cover.

Blktail
12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
I have decided on the Magellan Explorist XL.
SteelRam - this model has an improved antenna, huge display, huge memory, takes memory chips, does topo's and marine charts, is waterproof, has great battery life and is less expensive than the Garmin 60 and 76 series. A friend has the topo's so I save $150 there too!

Looks like GPS Central in Calgary has the best prices in Canada. If I can't do better on eBay with a reputable dealer, I'll get it there.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Steeleco
12-29-2006, 10:28 PM
PM sent, Blktail

TriggerMag
12-30-2006, 12:52 AM
wHAT ABOUT THE GARMIN RINO 530 ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES PLUS AN FRS GMRS RADIO TO BOOT CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THAT ALL IN ONE.

steel_ram
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Certainly worth canvassing friends to see what mapping software they've got to share.

scoot
01-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I ahve the Garmin Vista CX. The only thing it does not do is float. Great reception, WASS enabled which is a new satilite system that gives you improved accuracy, colour screen, electronic compass, awsome detailed mapping program, waterproof, mini memepry card, and best of all she goes over 24 hrs on a set of batteries. She cost a couple bucks more than the Ledgend but has many extra handy features.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I have the Garmin60cs. Work, play, and live in the bush and use it all the time. I have topo canada maps and it is great. I have found many uses for this tool. The 60 is the top of the line Garmin handheld. Get the Cx for the map chip capability and dont look back! This unit will give you years of great service. My 2 cents as a professional user of GPS technology for forest development and mapping.

MCA

Blktail
01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I finally decided on the Garmin 76CSx. The screen is a little larger than most, it has all the features that are available, is good for marine and land applications and the topo maps are more detailed than those from Magellan.
GPSCentral in Calgary was fast and easy and had the best price around.

Thanks for all the advice!

scoot
01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Looks to be a great buy. Is this a new model? What sort of maping comes with the unit and does it compare to the mapsource for Garmin?

FlyingHigh
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I use the Rino 530. I will never look at another GPS until they come out with an updated version of the Rino. It is simply the best GPS on the market. period. I refuse to buy Magellan as the mapping programs are tough to get, and people I've talked to who use them wish they had Garmin.

troutseeker
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a Magellan Meridian Colour with the Canada TOPO and some other maps too. I got it heavily discounted ($200) last year and it has worked great even under pretty thick cover. It even picks up satellite from my basement...

Troutseeker

Blktail
01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I went with the Garmin in part because when I compared the topo maps of the areas I hunt there was significantly more detail in the Garmin maps. The unit also seemed to be better sealed than the Magellan. The base map is pretty poor though.

tuchodi
01-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Blktail You won't be sorry with the Garmin 76. I have the 60 and 2 of my hunting partners have the 76 and everyone is very happy.

troutseeker
01-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I was at that discount store on Dillworth in Kelowna yesterday and they had some more Meridian Colour GPS's for $199

Troutseeker

srupp
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
I have used the Lowrance I finder hunt model and the new ones are color, it IS water proof to IMX standards...completely waterproof...the mapping system IS programmable from your computer and also from your GPS to the computer tp download maps from yoiur days use..makes phenominal maps!
The mapping hardware that comes with it is OK however get the mapping discs...5 of them that cover all of Canada "MAP CREATE 6 "

IT has topographic (elevation ) lines contours, lakes ,streams, rds ,creeks...etc etc etc....

It uses the Rockwell recievers and is WAAS enabeld...used Lowrance for many many moons..no problems ever while in the field, ever.

Steven

dawn2dusk
01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I got a Garmin Etrex legend CX from http://www.gpscentral.ca/ last spring with TopoSource and Bluecharts. No regrets. I have dialed in on some halibut holes and great for exploring new terrain and finding your way home.