PDA

View Full Version : Habitat Restoration

HarryToolips
03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-89649-26-.htm#89649

-Hopefully alot more of this can be done everywhere in BC, would help the deer etc out wouldn't it??

rocksteady
03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
I (we) do it every year in the EK.... just don't get the PR of the OK boys... Did 1200 hectares last year. 3000 ha on the books for 2013....

If I had access to the budget, I would burn this whole valley, to incease forage and habitat....

6616 is part of the team... Ask him his thoughts?

rocksteady
03-30-2013, 04:08 PM
The gal bitching about smoke bugs me.... She only cares about herself and has to bitch on the TV CAUSE OF 2 days of smoke.... Love to trade jobs with her. I inhale more smoke on a fire in 1 day than that old boot inhales in a freakin lifetime...

rocksteady
03-30-2013, 04:48 PM
BTW, the politically correct description is "ecosystem restoration", however when I was in Arizona, they called them "resource benefit" burns....

boxhitch
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Burns in the Okanagan get a whole lot more exposure than anything in the EK , and there are a whole lot more whiners here too.
Good on them for trying to bring grasslands back to what they once were , even on a small scale.

boxhitch
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Prescribed burning is planned east of Vernon in the Satellite Hill, Woodward Creek and South Fork areas between March 28 and May 15, 2013, weather conditions permitting.

This controlled burning will assist with ecosystem restoration and will occur in several phases during this period. The burns will be conducted by Wildfire Management Branch crews and staff from the Okanagan Shuswap Natural Resource District.
The Satellite Hill burn area covers an estimated 36 hectares, approximately six kilometres south of Lumby and Highway 6 in the Harris Creek area.
The Woodward Creek burn area covers an estimated 15 hectares, approximately 20 kilometres west of Lumby, north of Highway 6.
The South Fork burn area covers an estimated 32 hectares, approximately 12.5 kilometres east of Cherryville, north of Highway 6.
Historically, grasslands and open forests in the Okanagan have been renewed through frequent, low-intensity ground fires. Such fires limit tree encroachment, rejuvenate understory plants (trees and shrubs that grow beneath the forest canopy but above ground-cover plants) and maintain open grassland and open forests containing large trees.
The reintroduction of managed, low-intensity ground fires to these grasslands and open forests is intended to restore and maintain plant communities that are native to these areas.
These prescribed burns are part of an ongoing ecosystem restoration program administered by the government of British Columbia in collaboration with local ranchers, various outdoor organizations, the Shuswap Okanagan Forest Association, the Forum for Research and Extension in Natural Resources, the B.C. Wildlife Federation and the Wild Sheep Society of British Columbia.

Thats good to see.

Elk-Aholic
03-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Hopefully the winds pick up that day and they burn a bit more than 36ha.........

rides bike to work
03-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Hey Rick steady was that you burning west of canal flats and up by white swan last thanks giving we drove up in one spot in the morning and when we came down in the dark the flames were kickin at the road . Didn't stop us from going back up the next morning though.

rocksteady
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Yep... 455 has of eco restoration :)

Salty
03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Just when you think there's no common sence left you see a great news story like this. Outstanding work. All I can say is burn all you can quick like boys. The NDP would surely nix this project with the first complaint from one of their supporters. Then an inquirey would be struck with 6 years of stakeholder meetings with no conclusion. If still in power they'd have to do another review at that point :roll:

OutWest
03-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Looking forward on getting back to work on the 6th and getting in on the action!

rocksteady
03-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Just when you think there's no common sence left you see a great news story like this. Outstanding work. All I can say is burn all you can quick like boys. The NDP would surely nix this project with the first complaint from one of their supporters. Then an inquirey would be struck with 6 years of stakeholder meetings with no conclusion. If still in power they'd have to do another review at that point :roll:

Does not matter who is in power, its the right thing to do. I don't think 1 party wouldtreat the situation different than the other... Jmho..

Salty
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Just going back to the 90s rocksteady when they wouldn't let us burn anything during road construction for quite a spell, we were supposed to chip or grind all the wood waste and haul it somewhere else which is a huge volume out here in the rain forest. Sorry for bringing the P (olitics) word in to the thread. Hoping big time that a lot more of this is done however it goes.

rocksteady
03-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Salty, there is a huge difference in support for habitat fire versus what you are describing. I can see part of the issue of burning woodwaste, as compared to alternates.

Lots of the er ground harvested here most of the timber gets put into a tub gringer and hauled for hog fuel at the cogen plant at the pulp mill.... In the past, that would have made those stands uneconomical to even try to restore. Just gueesing, but I betcha less than 10% of the volume on these er sites is actually sawlogs..

goinghunting
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
How are these controlled burns happening? I want to know the process of how one goes about getting the funding or talking to the right people to get some burns going in the west kootenays? We need some real bad and haven't had any for years! does anyone know how to get thew ball rolling on these?

Husky7mm
04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Lots of burning, thinning and mulching going on here in the EK as of late. Very happy to see it!

boxhitch
04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
I want to know the process of how one goes about getting the funding or talking to the right people to get some burns goingStart off with a visit to the local MOF office and talk to someone about what the area management plan is, burn plans may be in effect already.
Then take the info to your local sportsmans club and try to get someone else on your side , power in numbers. you won't be acknowledged very well if you go solo.
Then the road ahead may be more clear.

rocksteady
04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Can't tell you, its top secret :)

HarryToolips
04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Start off with a visit to the local MOF office and talk to someone about what the area management plan is, burn plans may be in effect already.
Then take the info to your local sportsmans club and try to get someone else on your side , power in numbers. you won't be acknowledged very well if you go solo.
Then the road ahead may be more clear.

Sounds like a good plan..I'll talk to the people at my local..hope y'all do the same..let's get some burns goin and help all our ungulates etc out!!

boxhitch
04-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Burning just for the sake of burning won't happen. Build a strong case of how it is necessary. Its a big science.
ungulate habitat vs marketable timber vs pest control vs social/visible impacts vs rejuvination vs restoration vs old growth protection vs access vs ...........
and the beat goes on

but someone has to hold Gov't feet to the fire , go for it.

RS , do you build the plans or just light the fuel ?

rocksteady
04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
RS , do you build the plans or just light the fuel ?

We are fortunate here in the EK, we have an ecosystem restoration leader, assigned,as his full time job, to design, priorize and make happen treatments to areas that need to be restored to their prior composition. Last year, I beleive they did about 2000 has.

My role in the big scheme of things is I get to provide input into the logical burn boundaries, as compared to just following a timber type. My job is to help design the treatment boundaries from a burning point of view. Once the area is harvested/treated, I am responsible for designing and implimenting the prescribed burn plan, to meet the objectives of the prescription that the ER leader has signed.

So once it hits my desk, I write the burn plan, investigate weather and indices, and make the decision which day we are going to burn on, the igntion pattern, method, as well as what resources we require.

Once we are done the burn, the ER leader goes back in weeks later to do his statistical analysis, as far as fuel loading prior to fire, after fire, objectives met or not, increase in forage, all that scientific stuff..

Other areas in the province are starting to get on board... They have plans to do 2 burns in the Grand Forks area this year.. Big step, Boundary has not done a PB in a long time...

Unfortunately the West Kootenays is not a historical fire dominated ecosystem, so doing habitat burns in that country is more difficult. But they are trying...

MacMtnHunter
04-05-2013, 08:08 AM
There could never be too much of this kind of thing going on...

goinghunting
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
So who do we put pressure on to get the west kootenays on the map as far as habitat restoration projects. Is there anyway I could get my hands on a copy of a plan that you ecosystem restoration leader would write up to get these burns to happen, so I can take some better educated information to my local wildlife group?

We are fortunate here in the EK, we have an ecosystem restoration leader, assigned,as his full time job, to design, priorize and make happen treatments to areas that need to be restored to their prior composition. Last year, I beleive they did about 2000 has.

My role in the big scheme of things is I get to provide input into the logical burn boundaries, as compared to just following a timber type. My job is to help design the treatment boundaries from a burning point of view. Once the area is harvested/treated, I am responsible for designing and implimenting the prescribed burn plan, to meet the objectives of the prescription that the ER leader has signed.

So once it hits my desk, I write the burn plan, investigate weather and indices, and make the decision which day we are going to burn on, the igntion pattern, method, as well as what resources we require.

Once we are done the burn, the ER leader goes back in weeks later to do his statistical analysis, as far as fuel loading prior to fire, after fire, objectives met or not, increase in forage, all that scientific stuff..

Other areas in the province are starting to get on board... They have plans to do 2 burns in the Grand Forks area this year.. Big step, Boundary has not done a PB in a long time...

Unfortunately the West Kootenays is not a historical fire dominated ecosystem, so doing habitat burns in that country is more difficult. But they are trying...

one-shot-wonder
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM

This is great.....Time for the Okanagan to employ a full time restoration leader as well.

rocksteady
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
This is great.....Time for the Okanagan to employ a full time restoration leader as well.

I am not sure, they May have one. Let me do some digging at work tomorrow and I will pm you.

Rainy and cool here, not sure if we will get a burn window before grass greens up too much...

one-shot-wonder
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM

That is one area burns are long over due! When these take place can you provide us with any updates you have, curious to know how things go.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Let it burn.............
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-90599--.htm#90599

04-18-2013, 10:54 PM
I (we) do it every year in the EK.... just don't get the PR of the OK boys... Did 1200 hectares last year. 3000 ha on the books for 2013....

If I had access to the budget, I would burn this whole valley, to incease forage and habitat....

6616 is part of the team... Ask him his thoughts?

In the Rocky Mountain Trench we've treated over 30,000 Ha since 1997 (15 years) and spent approx 4 million dollars doing it. With over 70,000 Ha of former NDT4 ecosystem yet unrestored (mostly all ungulate winter range) that means 2000 Ha per year is not enough but restoration costs big bucks. Much has been said on this site about the declines in mule deer, etc, ER is really the only feasible solution, we just need to step the program up a notch or two. We want/need more animals but we must provide and maintain high quality habitat for them if we are to be successful.
http://www.trenchsociety.com/setup/content/Blueprint_for_Action_2006.pdf

Stone Sheep Steve
04-19-2013, 09:09 AM

The boundary area has secured $350,000 per year for the next 5 years for habitat restoration. Very welcome but looooong overdue.

SSS

rocksteady
04-19-2013, 07:20 PM
The boundary area has secured $350,000 per year for the next 5 years for habitat restoration. Very welcome but looooong overdue.

SSS

Baby steps SSS.... First you walk, then you run. Hopefully someday all areas will have the same capacity as the EK trench society :)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Baby steps SSS.... First you walk, then you run. Hopefully someday all areas will have the same capacity as the EK trench society :)

Baby steps for sure...but at least it's a step in the right direction.:)

Hopefully we'll have another fire season like in 2003. Nothing like an August fire to help get things back to what they shoud be:-D.

SSS

rocksteady
04-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Baby steps for sure...but at least it's a step in the right direction.:)

Hopefully we'll have another fire season like in 2003. Nothing like an August fire to help get things back to what they shoud be:-D.

SSS

Most of the time, spring or fall prescribed Burns are more beneficial than an August forest fire. The August scenario can have too harsh of an impact...

Stone Sheep Steve
04-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Most of the time, spring or fall prescribed Burns are more beneficial than an August forest fire. The August scenario can have too harsh of an impact...

I know I've heard that many times before but mother nature didn't used to burn in the spring. I know we're guilty of suppression for too long which must complicate matters.

SS

rocksteady
04-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I know I've heard that many times before but mother nature didn't used to burn in the spring. I know we're guilty of suppression for too long which must complicate matters.

SS

Mother natures fires are "stand replacement"... Aka back to square one. Spring and fall are "cleansing"....

Stone Sheep Steve
04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Mother natures fires are "stand replacement"... Aka back to square one. Spring and fall are "cleansing"....

Gotcha.
Thanks!

SSS

Elk-Aholic
04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

SSS

The spring is starting exactly like '94 and '03.......just saying.....

rocksteady
04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Burned 540 hectares just outside of Kimberley today :)

rocksteady
04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
And they did about 15 ha in the Boundary today too... Gonna do about 100 more tomorrow in the Premier lake sheep habitat, then most likely shut down til fall.. Grass is close to being killed by the fire versus rejuvenated...

Been a crappy spring for burn windows :(...

Oh well, just means I got about 1500 has for fall burning...plus whatever else I need to for operationzl tactics during fire season...

rocksteady
04-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Premier lake park done! Another 100 ha of habitat restoration on the books... Deer and elk will be well fed

rocksteady
04-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Got a bunch on my camera at work. Will post tomorrow