PDA

View Full Version : Halfway River Trail

geoskier
03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Does anyone know the actual limits to the end of atv access on the halfway river trail? I am getting conflicting reports from government data. I see in maps that the end of allowable access is quite a ways back the trail. I have also downloaded government data and made my own maps (using the same software as the government uses:ArcGIS) and the data claims that the "allowed" access is right to the lake. I know you can make it to the lake by quad because I saw a large group of the Blueberry Band looking for the Roe's when I was in there last.

Assuming the shorter access route: does this get you anywhere near good sheep hunting? How about elk hunting? The airstrip which is 6km east of Robb Lake (head of the halfway), is actually a mineral lick, and there are ~10 sheep there daily. Buffalo tracks all the way (6km from continental divide) in there too.

calvin L
03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
There is a sign appox 20 -22 km from the ranch at a large lick that state no motor vehicle beyond this point . There is some elk and moose in there and some great fishing in the river . I have not seen any sheep by the road closure .
Rob lake is a two / three day long horse back ride from the closure . I would not want to hike it as the river crossing get real deep in spots lol . I have not seen the landing strip in a couple of years so I am not sure as to its condition .

geoskier
03-30-2013, 10:06 AM
The guys I saw at the airstrip made it there in 5 hours from the ranch (atv). The airstrip isn't in great shape but you can land on it. We did last august.

One Shot
03-30-2013, 10:11 AM
I have GPS coords for where the sign is restricting the use of quads further down the trail. I will post later when I get home.

Ry151
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
The trail to Robb is closed to atv's so the only way to get in is plane or sleds. But from what I've herd the blueberry go all the way out there quit often on atv

calvin L
03-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes they do ! We can't and will not be able to change that . I have even seen the c/o in there riding ATV's ? Best to fly in there if you can .

toad
03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
how much further past horse camp can you ride a quad in the summer....legally . I hunted there in december and never seen any signs saying you couldn't quad past horse camp or anywhere else....

daycort
03-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Past horse camp at sulphur creek (about 45min to an hour ride) is the end of the road. I have heard from a very reliable source that all quad trails into the MK, especially the halfway trail from high number of complaints, is going to be strictly inforced with heavy fines and atv's/utv's flown out at owners expense. To much damage from erosion and someone has noticed.

Oh ya if your not a Nancy you can get into the lake in two days with horses.

geoskier
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I have heard from a very reliable source that all quad trails into the MK, especially the halfway trail from high number of complaints, is going to be strictly inforced with heavy fines and atv's/utv's flown out at owners expense. To much damage from erosion and someone has noticed.

Are you implying that all of the already designated access corridors are going to be removed?

Bear Chaser
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh ya if your not a Nancy you can get into the lake in two days with horses.

How long does it take to ride out with a broken toe and a sagging bottom lip?

Bear Chaser
04-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Are you implying that all of the already designated access corridors are going to be removed?

He's saying that existing approved trails for ATV use will still be allowed. ATV use past the Sulphur Creek hasn't been allowed since the creation of the MKMA however it has been sporadically enforced at best.
Hopefully the existing laws will be enforced equally to all in the future. As has been noted previously some trail users of a certain ethnic origin feel they can ride up & down the trail all the way to Robb Lake on an ATV with impunity.

daycort
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
How long does it take to ride out with a broken toe and a sagging bottom lip?

2 broken toes and a sagging lip.