PDA

View Full Version : Bison draw question

white moose
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Was just wondering what area is better access 7-57 a or b? Also what draw date is best. Hope somebody can shed some light.

monasheemountainman
03-29-2013, 01:08 PM
never done zone A but Zone B has easy access, lots of places to camp and some nice cabins right in the middle of bison for $125/ night meals included.

Fraink
04-15-2013, 01:52 PM
zone A has good access if you pay the fee at the ranch, not sure what it is right now. 3yrs ago we went around the ranch the last half of december, it was a bit rough but doable. Going through the ranch would save some time, and I think if you stay there the trespass fee is waived. I hear they have nice cabins.

curt
04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
zone a much better

s0ylentgreen
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
hey monashee - did you stay at sikanni (sp) ranch?

Ry151
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
the ranch in Zone A is $250 per tag and $175 per helper to drive down a public road that they have decided that they own.

Boner
04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
the ranch in Zone A is $250 per tag and $175 per helper to drive down a public road that they have decided that they own.

No kidding? That's interesting. Makes me wonder if the gov't keeps it maintained.

Rackmastr
04-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Are the bison in a more accessible area in Zone A if you're willing to pay the fee and/or rent the cabins? I guess what I'm saying is the hunting better if you're willing to spend that money?

Looking at applying for the first year in December season I'm thinking. Just tossed the idea around of A vs B and the logistical differences with each.

bridger
04-15-2013, 06:33 PM

they don't own the road when the road was built for a mining operation the road the went through the ranch. The private land consists of several different parcels and the original owners granted the mining company legal access through every parcel except one small piece that crosses quarter creek.. That is how the acces has always been blocked. The road is not gazzetted through that one parcel. Our gun club did a long and fairly expensive legal review years ago and that was the result. The original owners were guide outfitters. Smart move on their part

Ry151
04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Last year when i had my draw i went into the ministry on 110ave in fsj, I was told that they have no legal right to stop you from going through. They own the land not the road. only problem is if you do not pay the fees your stuff might be in the same condition when you get back to camp. I went around the ranch because there where buffalo on the trail on the way in and it was just as easy on sleds and didnt want to deal with the issues. the trail around isnt that bad (when we went through) and only needs a little work to fix up a few bad spots.

they don't own the road when the road was built for a mining operation the road the went through the ranch. The private land consists of several different parcels and the original owners granted the mining company legal access through every parcel except one small piece that crosses quarter creek.. That is how the acces has always been blocked. The road is not gazzetted through that one parcel. Our gun club did a long and fairly expensive legal review years ago and that was the result. The original owners were guide outfitters. Smart move on their part

bridger
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
If that is true why does the ministry not make that info public and do something aout opening the road. We probably researched the status more than the ministry has ever done

Bear Chaser
04-15-2013, 08:02 PM

So the stretch of road immediately west of the ranch buildings and along the old runway is for public use?

bridger
04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Pretty much, but can't remember just how big the non gazetted strip is as it has been quite a while since i have seen the map but it isn't huge. Have a buddy that might remember more clearly. Will check and pm you if i can figure it out.

Fincat
04-15-2013, 09:20 PM
I had the draw in Jan.2013 and paid $200 for the myself and $150 a piece for the other 2 guys. We rented the cabins on the ranch and still had to pay the tress pass fee. I think they where more intersted in the tress pass fee then the rent for the cabins which was quoted at $125 a night and wasn't quite the same as staying at the Hilton! If you know what I mean!!!!

Rackmastr
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I had the draw in Jan.2013 and paid $200 for the myself and $150 a piece for the other 2 guys. We rented the cabins on the ranch and still had to pay the tress pass fee. I think they where more intersted in the tress pass fee then the rent for the cabins which was quoted at $125 a night and wasn't quite the same as staying at the Hilton! If you know what I mean!!!!

Did you kill a bison? How many days did you hunt?

Just trying to get an idea on how guys success is in these draws. Lots to learn in my first fall of applying for LEH!!!

Ry151
04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
There answer was they had no proof to take to court and that they where told the gates are never locked so they weren't stopping anyone. That's the answers I got anyway. It's frustrating.

If that is true why does the ministry not make that info public and do something aout opening the road. We probably researched the status more than the ministry has ever done

Krico
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
A buddy and I headed up for Jan 27-31 this year. The bison sure were sled shy!!! Managed to dump one on day 4 (2nd last day of the season). It was tough hunting, not to mention the temps were never above -20C and dropped to around -36C a couple of mornings. We flat out refused to pay the "trespass" extortion fees or rent anything from said extortionists. The trail around only added like 30 mins to the sled ride. I can confirm that at least one of the gates were not locked:-D. We bumped a few guys the first day we were there, after that it was only us and a couple dudes who'd been there since the 16th trying for one. They ended up getting one the day before I shot mine, and we bumped them on the trail out with everyone's skimmers full!

Rackmaster the first thing you need to do is draw the tag! Worry about the rest once (and if) you do...

monasheemountainman
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
hey monashee - did you stay at sikanni (sp) ranch?

Yes stayed at sikanni river ranch. Mike and Dixie are top notch. Highly recommended! Especially when it's -30 and you can go in for some hot soup. If I got the Oct draw I'd probably camp. Can't go wrong tho for 125/ night meals included

tomahawk
04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
There's a reason that "A" has twice as many draws and an extended season.

Bear Chaser
04-15-2013, 10:59 PM
We flat out refused to pay the "trespass" extortion fees or rent anything from said extortionists. The trail around only added like 30 mins to the sled ride. I can confirm that at least one of the gates were not locked:-D.

I wouldn't call it extortion to pay to cross private property. If it's privately held with no road allowance that's it.
If what I suspect is true then the only portion of the road that is still privately held is that which passes between the ranch buildings, which is all it takes to block access to pickups. Typically the only gate that is locked is the one immediately before the ranch buildings.
Like you have said the trail around does not add a signifigant amount of time to access the crown land past the ranch and IMO it works out to money well saved by going around in most cases. In 2011 we paid the trespass fees but only because we had one member of our group that could not have driven a quad around due to his advanced age.

aggiehunter
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
if you do go around the ranch take a saw and fill in some of those dips with some logs will ya'....

Rackmastr
04-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Rackmaster the first thing you need to do is draw the tag! Worry about the rest once (and if) you do...

Haha yep no doubt! Kinda like planning for Kamloops sheep before ya draw eh? I figure I'll apply on the A side, sometime in Dec or Jan and see how things go. Got a few calls to make to some guys who have offered some insight as well. Sounds like a miserable but memorable adventure!

Fincat
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Did you kill a bison? How many days did you hunt?

Just trying to get an idea on how guys success is in these draws. Lots to learn in my first fall of applying for LEH!!!

I got luck and took a small bull. Dressed out at about 450 lbs . We hunted 6 days and saw quite a few Bison. Fun trip!