PDA

View Full Version : just wondering when the best time to go fishing in terrace??

bestofthewest
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Just wondering when the best time to go salmon fishing in terrace i have two weeks off on april 14 just wondering if it would be good then i dont have a boat are anything so any tips would be great thank you

specbelly
03-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Kalum can be good in Apr for both springs and steelies. The Lakelse is good for cutties and dollies in Apr. Kitimat can also be good for Steelie/cuttie/Dollies and some early springs. All depends on rain and snow melt

bestofthewest
03-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah nice its always been my dream to catch a tyee

bestofthewest
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
So i wont miss the spring run if i go on the 14 of April

specbelly
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Kalum and Kitimat have an early run of Springs starting around now. Kalum has some hawgs in April but it all depends on water conditions

Moe.JKU
03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah you have a good chance of getting into some steel or into some springs.

bestofthewest
03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Right on thanks just use spinnglows

40incher
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Fish "China" Bar which is downstream of the Kasiks River confluence. You can get a room at the Kasiks lodge for a reasonable price and drive to the bar in 10 minutes. If you have a camper you can park nearby.

Bar fish with a 12 ounce to 16 ounce weight (sand-diggers) and cast as far out as you can. I would fish the top end of the bar. Park your truck at the river's edge and get the lawn chairs out. Check the tides at Prince Rupert as it can influence access to the bar at extremely high tides. The Skeena is low and clear right now and is likely to stay that way for awhile.

Use medium-sized cheaters or spinglos, 60 lb. leader and a 4/0 or bigger hook.

If you can keep the "endangered" Skeena steelhead off your hook a big Kalum chinook is likely to hit if you fish a day or two. As well, the early-timed upper Skeena springs will be going by. Watch for hatchery clipped chinook and turn the heads in.

The Kalum chinook that come in April and early May run up to 85 lbs. and 30 to 40 pounders are common. The Upper Skeena springs are typically under 20 pounds.