PDA

View Full Version : Insurance cost for ATV???

huntcoop
12-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Just looking for some insight into quad insurance and cost. I realize that costs will vary depending on year, CC's etc., but was wondering what guys and gals pay for theft insurance for a year.
Thanx, Huntcoop

Rainwater
12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
A yearly policy with Capri Ins. for liability is $135. This "COVERS" you for liability on non-public roads. Own damage (fire/theft) is much more expensive and can be purchased from private companies or ICBC. ICBC rates for fire/theft would be around $800 - $900 annually depending on your territory of use. I am not sure if Capri offers Fire/Theft but you can check, their phone is 1-888-818-5821 and NO I am not an agent for them.

Hunterguy
12-26-2006, 08:05 PM
The way I work my insurance for my two quads is that I get storage insurance through ICBC. This for fire and theft. When I decide on some trip dates I get my insurance for liability, fire and theft by the day. Works out to be about seven dollars a day depending on the value. This also is through ICBC. I have checked into others but I find this route the most reasonable. Make sure you get the liability because I have been checked in the bush, partner had to walk back to his truck to go and retrieve his quad, some CO's can be picky.

browningboy
12-26-2006, 09:18 PM
If you have house insurance, you have liability insurance, check with your holder, its the same thing if you want to get a lower mainland migratory license, you also require liability, but mines through our house insurance, as for insuring a 700cc quad, full load (fire, theft etc.) is around 550/annum through capri.8)

Rainwater
12-27-2006, 07:07 PM
House Insurance does NOT cover liability for your quads on non-public roads, FSRs, the highway or whatever. UNLESS you run over a visiting kid on your back lawn, maybe then just maybe!!

boonerbuck
12-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I looked into having mine fully coverd through ICBC and they guestimated $800ish a year.

Elk-Aholic
12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Personally, unless you own a brand new $9,000 quad, I wouldn't waste my time with insurance. Running at almost $900/year, you'll basically pay for your quad in 10 years just on insurance costs. But for an older used quad, try buying a high end, forged steel logging chain and lock and lock the quads up to your house. Also, buy a motion-light/alarm and mount it by your quads. If someone does try to steal them, the alarm will go off giving you plenty of time to call the cops or grab a baseball bat......again, just my opinion.

browningboy
12-27-2006, 09:50 PM
House Insurance does NOT cover liability for your quads on non-public roads, FSRs, the highway or whatever. UNLESS you run over a visiting kid on your back lawn, maybe then just maybe!!
I have my insurance cover me whatever I do, just depends what premium you get I guess? And yes I'm sure, its not a misunderstanding. The insurance for my grizzly (value-11500.00) is 610 / year and that fire / theft from anywhere except from jan - march is only covered for theft from your house.8)

Rainwater
12-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Browningboy, Just get it in writing. I write Insurance for quite a few companies (large ones too) and they will not touch quads. Capri will. GET IT IN WRITING.

Gun Dog
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Personally, unless you own a brand new $9,000 quad, I wouldn't waste my time with insurance. Unless you run it on FSRs in which case you need liability insurance just like a car.

browningboy
12-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Browningboy, Just get it in writing. I write Insurance for quite a few companies (large ones too) and they will not touch quads. Capri will. GET IT IN WRITING.
Rainwater, my insurance company will not directly insure the quad for fire or theft but covers me for liability for me on my or any other property just for liability, I just know that people have to be sure on what insurance they are getting as it sure can be unclear, but thanks rainbird for the caution.8)

Rainwater
01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I have checked the wordings under the liability section of two of the largest Underwriters in Canada, they both exclude liability while "off premises", unless it's a golf cart, lawn tractor, snowblower or medical wheelchair. Not trying to resurect this post it's just important that you get the copy of your wordings from you home Insurance company and read them.

Fisher-Dude
01-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I have checked the wordings under the liability section of two of the largest Underwriters in Canada, they both exclude liability while "off premises", unless it's a golf cart, lawn tractor, snowblower or medical wheelchair. Not trying to resurect this post it's just important that you get the copy of your wordings from you home Insurance company and read them.

Golf cart??? Holy crap Batman, that Dana is smarter than we think! He knows he's covered!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: How would you all like your crow cooked?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9379