PDA

View Full Version : 8x7 KAMLOOPS MULIE 2012

BigSlapper
03-27-2013, 10:38 PM
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01230-1.jpg
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01229-1_zps719a2136.jpghttp://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01228_zps61688d9b.jpg
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01227_zpsaae7cbc7.jpg

Finally a few pics I'll share. Stories have been floating around, folks have been itching to see pics and have had many ask me about the story. So ....

Get a knock on the cabin door at about 8:00 pm. -15 and foot and a half of snow .... couple gentlemen hunters (see pics) have been informed I spend a lot of time in the area, know it well and I might be able to help. They are from the Island, don't know the area and need help finding their buck. They proceed to tell me a story of tracking for a few kilometers in the snow, shooting it at last light and then having to leave it and get out as they didn't know where they were. They followed their tracks back out and got back to camp late. The cool thing was they took pics on their iPhone of the area, the tracking along the way, and of the kill site. When they showed me the pics to see if i knew where it was, I'll be damned if I didn't know it immediately ... the kill site wasn't 50 meters from where I had a trail cam set up and they had downed one of the brutes I was after. Technology !!!! Invited them to jump on their quads and I in my rhino .... within 45 minutes I led them directly back to their deer and we set about recovering their "once in a lifetime" mulie. One hell of an 8X7. Small body and probably his last winter. Had seen him 3 years previously in his prime and knew he was out there somewhere. Gotta admit I was jealous but damn happy for them at the same time. They worked their asses off for this guy and it could not have happened to two nicer guys! Dragged him out and we loaded him into my rhino, pictures, and back to the cabin for cocktails by midnight. What a cool night. Now I've not been in touch with them since that night but they said they were going to have it mounted and would provide pics so I'm thinking we are closing in on the time the mount might be done. Will post pics when I get them.

BlacktailStalker
03-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Nice mule. Good on ya for helping them out. They sure look happy :cool:

warnniklz
03-27-2013, 11:08 PM
A story in the pocket for the off season... I love it!!!

bruin
03-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Great buck! Something to dream about for next fall.

M.Dean
03-28-2013, 04:31 AM
There's the reason we go back, year after year, after year! Real nice of you to help them out too!!!

kennyj
03-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Great job helping out your fellow hunters. Its obvious by the photos that you made their day. Thanks for sharing the story.
kenny

BigfishCanada
03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Ya Great job helping them out, If my kids were with me and someone knocked on the door after dark I would have had double barrel join me at the door lol. I saw a buck like that once, it hopped over a private property fence while my boy, nephew and I watched it slowly walk away knowing it was in a safe zone. That would look great on their wall!!!!

HarryToolips
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice rack....

KB90
03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Nice buck.

When they showed me the pics to see if i knew where it was, I'll be damned if I didn't know it immediately ... the kill site wasn't 50 meters from where I had a trail cam set up and they had downed one of the brutes I was after. Technology !!!! ................... Had seen him 3 years previously in his prime and knew he was out there somewhere

Do you have any live pics?

Rodd
03-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Great Buck! Good work helping them out! I'm thinking I may need a hand this fall... lol! JK Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Islandeer
03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
good on yah, and good on the Island boyz!!

Karma, will be with you next season ...

BigSlapper
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Nice buck.

Do you have any live pics?

Wish I did. Saw him in late summer when scouting a couple years back. The area he was in has a very cool strain of DNA where many of the bucks have "junk". Hope his sons are around this year! :)

Gateholio
03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Good story and nice buck. Good for you for helping out.

aggiehunter
03-28-2013, 05:54 PM
I wonder if your head is smaller in a picture if a deer is bigger..???

MulieStalker
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Very nick buck!!!! Was fortunate enough to see this beast on the hook!!!

300H&H
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
The guy on the left looks very familiar.
If it is him, he lives here in Kelowna.

Or maybe he has a twin...poor bugger !!! :icon_frow

Dirty Steve
03-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Very nick buck!!!! Was fortunate enough to see this beast on the hook!!!

Yup, should have been ours!!!

Jelvis
03-30-2013, 01:18 PM
That is a trophy Kamloops mulie right there, WOW! Muley bucks like that are numero uno.
Jelly .. In Deer City .. Now that's a buck

Darksith
03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Thats an awesome story, and props to you for helping fellow hunters out...even if they are from the LML...j/k. Anyway thats great. Did you have pics of him on your cam from that year or previous years?

BigSlapper
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Thats an awesome story, and props to you for helping fellow hunters out...even if they are from the LML...j/k. Anyway thats great. Did you have pics of him on your cam from that year or previous years?

Nope, no pics unfortunately. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do think I saw him a few years back (summertime). Many of the bigger bucks from this particular area have a fare bit of "trash" so I'm assuming they are all inter-related. Been hunting that area now for close to 8 years and always see some interesting bucks - not all of which are shooters. Maybe this year is the year! ??

Ghengis Khandrey
03-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Very nice buck.
On a side note, you count the brow tines?

BigSlapper
03-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Very nice buck.
On a side note, you count the brow tines?

Nope ......

hunter1947
03-31-2013, 05:08 AM
Nice pictures of the mule deer these to gentlemen you are one very nice person to go back and help these two hunters out ,,,good on you ,,this story is what hunting is all about helping others when you can makes you feel good when you can help others when they need your help ,,congrats to the two hunters to took this fine mule deer buck..

BigSlapper
03-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Nice pictures of the mule deer these to gentlemen you are one very nice person to go back and help these two hunters out ,,,good on you ,,this story is what hunting is all about helping others when you can makes you feel good when you can help others when they need your help ,,congrats to the two hunters to took this fine mule deer buck..

Couldn't agree more 1947 ... not only does it just feel good to share and help, it's just plain good for the "soul". I'm not sure I have come across two happier hunters when I walked them up to their deer @ 10 pm in the pitch black and blowing snow . The look on their faces was all I needed .... truly a hunt (that I never really participated in), that I will remember for the rest of my days.

Jelvis
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
BigSlapper the tracker, way to go big fella, helpin and grinnin and now your winnin
Jel . Slapper is Dapper .. a great Helper .. tanks for dah hand .. now that's what a real hunter does for other hunters.

WKCotts
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Heck of a buck. Love the stickers. How did he look in his prime?

BigSlapper
04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Heck of a buck. Love the stickers. How did he look in his prime?
only saw him the one time with two other smaller bucks (August, a couple years back). The rack was pretty much the same but his body was a whole bunch bigger. Like I said earlier, this was probably his last winter - his body was withered, likely from rutting hard but more than anything else, just old age.